NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 9 July 2018

Time: 19:00-20:00 UTC (for the time in various timezones click here)  

How can I participate in this meeting? 

1(800)550-6865, Teleconference EN ID: 1638

 **AC Room: https://participate.icann.org/naralo/                          


Participants:

EN: Eduardo DiazJohn Laprise, Dana Perry, Adrian Schmidt, Alfredo Calderon, Allan Skuce, Bill Jouris, Eve Edelson, Gordon Chillcott, Greg Shatan, Javier Rua-Jovet, Joly Macfie, Judith Hellerstein, Marita Moll, Matthew Rantanen, Susannah Gray, Wes Boudville, David Morar, Gladys Maldonado, Glenn McKnight, Alan Greenberg, Seth Reiss, Jonathan Zuck, Jason Hynds, Francisco Rosario, John Laprise

Apologies: Evan Leibovitch

Staff: Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdogdu, Chris Mondini, Joe Catapano, Andrea Glandon

Call Management: Andrea Glandon


Summary Minutes:    

Action Items: EN

Recording:   EN

AC Recording: EN

AC Chat: EN    

Transcript: EN


AGENDA

1. Attendance (XX/45)

This section is to record the meeting attendance.

ALS (Total 23 :: 10CA/2PR/11US) - Attendance (12/23) 

#

ALS

REP

ALT

1Pacific Community Networks Association/CAAllan Skuce (P)Bev Collins
2Nova Scotia Community Access Program/CADana Perry (P)Erick Stackhouse
3ISOC DC/USDustin Phillips John Moore 
4ISOC PR/PREduardo Díaz (P)Alfredo Calderón (P)
5Canadian Association for Open Source (CLUE)/CAEvan Leibovitch (A)Mathew Rice
6Foundation For Build. Sustainable Communities/CAGlenn McKnight (P)Robert T Bell
7Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group/CAGordon Chillcott  (P)Scott Sullivan
8Knujon/USGrath Bruen -
9Association of Internet Users/US :: ALAC 2017-19John LaPrise (P)Cristina Willlard
10ISOC NY/USJoly McFie (P)Greg Shatan (P)
11Capital Area Globetrotters/USJudith Hellerstein (P)Le-Marie Thompson
12Consumers Council of Canada/CA

Kenneth L. Whitehurst

Howard Dean
13ISOC CO/US

Karen Mulberry

-
14ISOC SF/USLeah Sykmekher  (P)Susannah Gray (P)
15Native Public Media/USLoris Taylor Elyse Dempsey
16Telecommunities Canada/CA Marita Moll (P)Garth Graham
17Communautique/CAMonique Chartrand -
18The IP/Tech. Section of the HI State Bar Assoc./USSeth Reiss (P)Tracey Ohta
19ISOC Quebec/CADestiny Tchehouali
Robert Castonguay
20ISOC Canada/CAShelley Robinson Murray McKercher 
21Connecting.nyc Inc./USThomas Lowenhaupt Robert Pollard
22Hispanic Educational Tech. Services (HETS)/PRYubelkys Montalvo Yelixa Castro
23At-Large North American Graduate Students/USDavid Cristian Morar (P)Anna Cecile Loup

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

*P=Present

Unaffiliated (Total 22 :: 4CA/1PR/17US) Attendance (05/22) 

#

Name

Region

1Adrian Schmidt (P)CA
2Alan Greenberg (P)CA
3Daniel WrightUS
4David AllnutUS
5Edward HasbrouckCA
6Endrias ZewdeUS
7Javier Rúa Jovet (P)PR
8Jean Armour PollyUS
9Jeongwon RyuUS
10Jonathan Zuck (P)US
11Kristian Stout US
12Linda KaiserUS
13Michelangelo De SimoneUS
14Philip RighterUS
15Roberto GuerraCA
16Roland YarbroughUS
17Thomas StruettUS
18Thomas W CampbellUS
19Wendy SeltzerUS
20Wes Boudville (P)US
21William Cunningham US
22Nathalie CoupetUS

<<For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.


2. Approval of the Agenda & Discussion Order 

This section is to record the approval of this meeting agenda and its discussion order.

--→ 11June [Recording: 1:21]  Approved with no changes. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

3. Meeting Discussion Order 


Item

#


Discussion



Lead

Allotted Time/Running Time

034

ICANN 62 @ Panamá - Reports

→: To provide a summary report by participaing NARALO members in this meeting

Eduardo

Glenn

Judith

Alan

Javier

John

Johnathan

(00:10 / 00:10)
035

ICANN 62 @ Panamá - Onboarding Fellow Report

→: Provide a summary report on the experiences and insights about this program acquired during this meeting

Gladys(00:05 / 00:15)
036

ICANN 62 @ Panamá - Fellowship Program Report (Fellow)

→: Provide a summary report on the experiences and insights about this program acquired during this meeting

Alfredo(00:05 / 00:20)
025

CROP FY18

→: To provide an update/report for the following CROP supported events:  ARIN 41 (William). Report on following up with lead contacts: Digital Inclusion (Glenn) and RigthsCon (Judith)

Eduardo

William

Glenn

Judith

(00:05 / 00:25)
005

2018 NomCom update report

→: To provide an update on NomCom work in the past month

Leah(00:05 / 00:30)
037

SWebinar :: Universal Acceptance

→: To provide an understanding of Universal Acceptance as related to ICANN's mission. Universal Acceptance ensures that all domain names and email addresses can be used by all Internet-enabled applications, devices and systems. It is essential for the continued expansion of the domain name system and provides a gateway to the next billion Internet users.

Johnatan(00:30 / 01:00)
If we get to them...
032

NARALO.ORG 

→: To call for volunteers to provide feedback about the NARALO.ORG  website as to navigation and content. Google doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eccGcU7zwvw_lMkE2jAx38QBG-LQsNAjM7BLvEmaaOE/edit?usp=sharing

Glenn

026

NARALO ALAC members Update Reports

→: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

Javier

John

Alan



017

NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts since our last call
Glenn
028

NARALO Policy Group Update Report

: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

Jonathan



029

NARALO Education Group Update Report

→: To provide provide an update report by the head of the Educational Group since our last call.

Alfredo
-Any Other Business (AOB)All-
-Next meeting: 13 August 2018 @19:00 UTC--

*(allowed time/running time)


5. Current Discussions (→= current meeting date)

This section is for discussions that have been carried forward to this meeting.

ITEM 005: 2018 NomCom update report

LEAD: Leah Sykmekher

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED: 

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Brief report by our 2018 NomCom representative.

20 November 2017: [Recording: --] This item was not discussed during the meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting.

11 December 2017: [Recording: 52:05]  Report given. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

08 January 2018: [Recording: --]  This item was not discussed during the meeting Off-Line Report: The 2018 NOMCOM is tasked with filling 9 open leadership positions on the ICANN board. The team kicked off with meetings at ICANN 60 in Abudhabi where we got right into the preparatory phase of our work that focused on detailed planning for responsibilities in the coming year. We achieved the following: - Defined operating procedures - Outlined 2018 NOMCOM timelines, goals and strategies - Formed 8 subcommittees each focused on specific tasks. Outreach:  We are currently in the candidate recruitment phase of our annual process where outreach to the community plays a significant role. NOMCOM delegates attending IGF 2017 in Geneva began our outreach efforts with more to come at ICANN 61 and at /through other appropriate channels. We welcome NARALO to encourage suitable candidates to apply for these open seats: ICANN Board of Directors 3 Seats, GNSO 1 seat, ALAC 2 seats (Europe & North America) & ccNSO 2 seats.Resources: For more information on NOMCOM 2018 and to be continually updated on our activities please use the following resources: 2018 NOMCOM website as a resource for information: https://www.icann.org/nomcom2018,  2018 NOMCOM wiki for candidate applications (will be up soon), 2018 NOMCOM Update (will be available soon  [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

12 February2018 [Recording: --]   Off-Line Report:  Leah Symekher - SFBayISOC/ICANN Nomcom: Thx Glenn direct people to my summary, the website and let all know that we are in the recruiting phase so direct intersted candidates  to website.Leah Symekher - SFBayISOC/ICANN Nomcom: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_nomcom2018&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=EIZsRD5HkaWrY-IOAapEBdyRwuZLXAVNnDN6t_SaXlQ&m=LoyptWQlLta7X6urla8s8czYKAbKLpE34DWYYaD8cT8&s=ItzuWIsGbi9giVEtYtMrO_2Jf3cSt88Eqel06PYGpuo&e= [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting.

14 March [Recording: --] No report given.  [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

09 april [Recording: --] No report given.  [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

14 May [Recording: 1:02 ]  Off-line report update at @4/23/2018 :: for leadership positions within ICANN, the NomCom initiated a recruitment phase in January. The NomCom carried out various outreach activities, including circulating an invitation via social media platforms, email and news updates via professional networks. NomCom members presented at multiple events, reached out to potential candidates and encouraged them to apply. This effort was intensified during ICANN61. In parallel, an independent recruitment firm targeted candidates for Board positions. At the end of the period for expressions of interest, the NomCom received 109 complete applications. Applicants applied from Africa (19), Asia Pacific (25), Europe (21), Latin America and the Carribbean (13), and North America (31). There were 33 female and 76 male applicants. In terms of ICANN leadership position application numbers, there were (87) Board, (43) GNSO, (19) ALAC and (40) ccNSO.Updates on the candidate assessment phase will follow shortly. Reported by Leah Symekher ALAC-NARALO delegate to the NomCom 2018. Leah reported during the meeting as well [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 21:54] No report given. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 09 July [Recording: 53:20]  [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 017: NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

LEAD: Glenn McKnight

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts since our last call.

20 November 2017: [Recording: XX] This item was not discussed during the meeting. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11 December 2017: [Recording: --]  This item was not discussed during the meeting. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

08 January 2018: [Recording: --]  Report given [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

12 February 2018 [Recording: 42]  Report given. Please refer to recording/transcript fro more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

14 March [Recording: 50:00]  Update given. Talked about strategic plan. Various testimonials given about outreach efforts. Example given: ICANN read outs, ARIN meetings and IGF Geneva. No action item generated. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

09 april [Recording: 29 & 50 ]  William suggested that we put forward an effort to reach out to what are called HBCU, historically black colleges and universities, starting at Howard University in Washington DC. (see more details Page 16 in the transcript). Glenn provided and updated report on outreach efforts during ICANN 61 in Puerto Rico. please refer to page 25 in the transcript for more details. [Decision]: Chris Mondini and William to get on the phone or meet in DC to continue this discussion. 

14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

11June [Recording: 40:25]  Glenn reported. Please read specifics in the transcript page 22. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

ITEM 025: CROP FY18

LEAD: Eduardo Diaz

OPEN: 12 February 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update/report for the following events: Digital Inclusion  (Glenn), RigthsCon (Judith) and ARIN 41 (William)

12 February 2018 [Recording: 38] Report given. Refer to recording/transcript for details. [Decision]: Recommend to close.

14 March [Recording: 10:00]  Program was explained. There may be about $4K o discretionary money that can be used fro this next year. No action item generated. [Decision]: Recommend to keep in the agenda to inform allocation of the two last spots in this program

09 april [Recording: 25] William (WC) mentioned that his trip to the ARIN is more strategic in comparison to the GA trip to New Orleans and that he is looking forward to help out. Glenn sent to WC brochures and materials to help with the outreach.  Glenn also mentioned that he is going to attend The Digital Inclusion in Cleveland and Judith the RigthsCon in Toronto where she is going to be one of panelist as the At-Large Global Indigenous Ambassador program. Read more details in the transcripts (page 12) [Decision]: ACTION ITEM: William, Glenn and Judith to prepare to work with Evin and Mario from staff to make sure that all the activities are posted on at-large social media, Twitter, Facebook. Also, to provide short written reports to staff to start documenting all of these activities and some of the achievements.

14 May [Recording: 30:35]  Running out of time at this moment of the agenda.   [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting as first item in the agenda.

11June [Recording: 3:34]  Glenn and Judith reported. Glenn RigthsCon leads: Canadian National Institute of the Blind (CNIB) & First Nations doing libraries throughout the Midwest. Judith RigthsCon leads: not specific leads but mentioned that she is following up with some of them. William's report pending. Final specifics about FY19 CROP still pending. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 09 July [Recording: 28:57]  Glenn RightsCon leads: Canadian National Institute of the Blind (CNIB) working on getting their application in soon. Glenn Digital inclusion leads: First Nations doing libraries throughout the Midwest. Judith RightsCon leads: couple Canadian and US non-profits, William's report pending [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

ITEM 026:  NARALO ALAC Members Update Reports

LEAD: Javier Rúa, John Laprise & Alan Greenberg

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

09 april [Recording: 3:00 ]  Javier Rúa gave a summary of the Work Track 5” of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group. Alan mentioned statements already put out by ALAC fro GDPR Implementation, Fellowship Program and KSK Rollover. ALAC is currently looking for input on a proposal model made by the Intellectual Property Constituency (IP) and Business Constituency for accreditation and authorization on WhoIs data and on the replenishment of the ICANN financial reserve. Please check out the Policy Page in the links provided below. [Decision]: Action item for staff: Summarize what the policy issues are and send it out to the list as quickly as possible.

14 May [Recording: 12:04 ]  Alan provided a brief report about GDPR , NomCom Review, CCWG on Accountability Work Stream #2 (coming up)  and GNSO on New gTLD (coming up) [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 29:42] No reports given. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

ITEM 028: NARALO Policy Group Update Report

LEAD: Jonathan Zuck 

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

09 april [Recording: 51] This group is looking for volunteers. Jonathan suggested to focus in the following topics: Disposition of Action Funds, Universal Acceptance and Name Collisions. Please refer to page 26 of the transcript for more details about these.  [Decision]: ACTION ITEM: Ask for volunteers for this group. Carry forward to next meeting.

14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

11June [Recording: 43:03] Mentioned that the biggest think is that Subsequent Procedures Working Group is going to be delivering its interim report shortly after Panama. Also discussions about charitable outcome associated with O.com and finally GDPR. More specifics on page 23 in the transcript. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

ITEM 029: NARALO Education Group Update Report

LEAD: Alfredo Calderon

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: This discussion item is for providing an update report by the head of the Educational Group.

09 april [Recording: --]  For the May meeting, Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Future topics must align with ICANN's mission, therefore, the Policy & Hot Topics must be reviewed if a SWebinar is to be organized. It seems reasonable to consider Pollicy Comments as a point of reference. We are aware that in some instances the timeframe will be a limitation when Public comments before our monthly meetings. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

14 May [Recording: 45:00 ]   Presentation given by Jonathan on Intelectual Property Constituency (IPC) / Business Constituency (BC) Accreditation & Access Model for Non-Public Data. Please see details in transcript starting on page #30. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 47:05]  No report given. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

9 July Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Basic information available here. Seeking volunteers to do SWebinars for upcomming meetings. Topics must be related to ICANN's mission and pressing issues that might entice commenting by the  RALO.

13 August Seeking topics and volunteers future SWebinars. For August meeting we have Alan Greenberg and Cheryl Langdon-Orr on what are the next steps in the ALAC Implementation Review.


ITEM 032: NARALO.ORG 

LEAD: Glenn McKnight

OPEN: 14 May 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION:  To call for volunteers to provide feedback about the NARALO.ORG  website as to navigation and content.

14 May [Recording: 5:04]   Expanded on Anna Loop's background. Discussion starts in transcript page #4. The following people volunteer to help in the group: Judith, Joy and Susannah. Some problems were discussed.  [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 27:53] Glenn reported. Check transcript for more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.


ITEM 034: ICANN 62 @ Panamá - Reports

LEAD: Various

OPEN: 09 July 2018, CLOSED: 09 July 2018

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary report by participaing NARALO members in this meeting

→ 09 July [Recording: 1:38]  Reports given. See Transcript for details. [Decision]: Close Item.

ITEM 035: ICANN 62 @ Panamá - Onboarding Fellow Report

LEAD: Gladys Maldonado

OPEN: 09 July 2018, CLOSED: 09 July 2018

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Provide a summary report on the experiences and insights about this program acquired during this meeting

→ 09 July [Recording: 22:53]  Report given. In summary, the program needs improvements to engage participants while in the ICANN meeting. Acronyms usage in meetings was mentioned as one deterrents in understanding what was going on. [Decision]: Close Item.

ITEM 036: ICANN 62 @ Panamá - Fellowship Program Report (Fellow)

LEAD: Alfredo Calderón

OPEN: 09 July 2018, CLOSED: 09 July 2018

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Provide a summary report on the experiences and insights about this program acquired during this meeting

→ 09 July [Recording: 26:40]  Was impressed with the fellow sessions in Panamá. Had the opportunity to serve as an open coach to three newcomers from Latin America. See more details in transcript - page 15 [Decision]: Close Item.


ITEM 037: SWebinar :: Universal Acceptance

LEAD: Johnathan Zuck

OPEN: 09 July 2018, CLOSED: 09 July 2018

TYPE: Education

DESCRIPTION: To provide an understanding of Universal Acceptance as related to ICANN's mission. Universal Acceptance ensures that all domain names and email addresses can be used by all Internet-enabled applications, devices and systems. It is essential for the continued expansion of the domain name system and provides a gateway to the next billion Internet users. Basic info here. Jonathan's Presentation.

Universal Acceptance.pptm

→ 09 July [Recording: 35:40] Webinar give. Please transcript page 20 for more details. [Decision]: Close Item.


6. New Discussions (→= current meeting date)

This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting


7. Any Other Business (AOB)

This section is for any new discussions not in the agenda for this meeting.

ITEM 038*: [Item title here]

LEAD: [name]

OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

TYPE: [General], [Policy], [Education], [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: [Brief description]


*Use this format. The number shown is the next in the sequence of discussions. Update every meeting if necessary.




---0---


Supporting Material


General:


Policy:

See:

Statements approved by the ALAC

Statements in process - DraftComment or Vote

Statements that seem to be stalled

Public Comment requests to which the ALAC decided not to submit Statements

New Public Comment requests to which the ALAC needs to make decisions

Upcoming Public Comment Requests

July

August

Education:



Outreach:


Community Regional Outreach Program (CROP)-FY18 Home