Sub-group Members:  Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, David McAuley, Erich Schweighofer, Farzaneh Badii, Finn Petersen, Greg Shatan, Griffin Barnett, Kavouss Arasteh, Mary Uduma, Phil Morano, Philip Corwin, Steve DelBianco, Tatiana Tropina, Thiago Jardim   (15)

Observers/Guests:  Nick Smith

Apologies:  Becky Burr, Christopher Wilkinson

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, Nigel Hickson   (4)

 ** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1.    Welcome

2.    Review of Agenda (2 minutes)

3.    Administration (1 minute)

3.1.  Changes to SOIs

3.2.  Identify Audio Only and Phone Number Participants

4.    Follow-Up Question for ICANN Legal – Status (1 minute)

4.1.  Question sent to ICANN Legal on May 2

5.    Review of decisions, requests and action items from last call (5 minutes)

5.1.  Decisions:

5.1.1.   Evaluation of questionnaire – Change of approach given the number of responses and the fact that many of these are very short – Members of the evaluation team will be requested to analyze those answers which are not one word responses and be prepared to present them to the sub-group for consideration.

5.2.  Request:

5.2.1.   Request the Subgroup complete the review of past litigation in the coming two weeks (i.e., by 16 May 2017).

5.3.  Action Items:

5.3.1.   Staff – Distribute questionnaire evaluation tool in current state to list and post on questionnaire wiki. Update with translations after posting. (DONE)

5.3.2.   Staff – Put Chinese questionnaire response into a format consistent with questionnaire and add to review tool.

5.3.3.   GS – Create sign-up sheet for questionnaire analysis, circulate on list and post as Google Doc (DONE, link is

6.    Questionnaire (15 minutes)

6.1.  Status on Translations – Issue raised regarding accuracy of translation of the “.swiss” contribution; translation withdrawn pending revision.

6.2.  Taiwan requested that its response be withdrawn.

6.3.  Review of Sign-Up Sheet.

6.4.  Review of “review tool.”

6.5.  Presentation of responses by members of the evaluation team (if any are prepared to do so).

7.    Review of ICANN Litigation (20 Minutes) (Sign up:

7.1.  Yeager v. Go Daddy et al (including ICANN) – DM

7.2.  Auerbach v. ICANN – AD

7.3.  Image Online Design, Inc. v. ICANN - GS

8.    AOB

9.    Next meeting Tuesday 16 May 0500 UTC

10.  Adjourned

Raw Captioning Notes

Please note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call


  • None

Action Items:

  • None

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

  Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting #30 on 9 May @ 19:00 UTC!

  Brenda Brewer:If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  To unmute press *6.  Thank you!

  Tatiana Tropina:hi all

  David McAuley (RySG):I am 3200

  Brenda Brewer:Thank you, David

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello all

  David McAuley (RySG):sorry - hand up was a mistake

  Brenda Brewer:Please, phone number ending in 6206 identify for attendance.  Thank you!

  Nigel Hickson:good evening

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:it is in the latest tool

  David McAuley (RySG):none here

  Farzaneh Badii:hmm I like the spelling of Whyte in the captioning.

  Steve DelBianco:Agree with Tatiana and Greg -- there is no applicable concept of Quorum or representation here

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup

  Farzaneh Badii:These are documented , verifiable issues we have been reporting on, you get one answer or 100 , they are issues we need to work on. totally agree with Tatiana

  Farzaneh Badii:oh Greg just said what I said ...

  David McAuley (RySG):Steve said more directly what I meant to say - but if someone gave an opinion we will see it

  Philip Corwin:Regrets that I must drop off this call to join another in 2 minutes

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Re French translation - working on getting a date

  Farzaneh Badii:no one signed up for IGP response? is it too difficult ?:)))

  Tatiana Tropina:Farzaneh, shall I take your response for analysis too?

  Tatiana Tropina:I wanted to :)

  Tatiana Tropina:yeah.

  Tatiana Tropina:but not for the next meeting.

  Tatiana Tropina:and may be someone takes it.

  Tatiana Tropina:allow me! :) to take more job

  Tatiana Tropina:I took Russian reponse just in case if there are nuances in translation

  Farzaneh Badii::) hopefully  can be analyzed soon. I can't sign up for my own response!

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:time check 29 minutes left in call

  Tatiana Tropina:Farz, I want to analyse yours

  Tatiana Tropina:But Greg said they should wait to allow me O_o.

  Farzaneh Badii:oh !

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:these are suggestions as to analyze or not and analysis is not about being considered or not

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:so it can be presented to this group

  Tatiana Tropina:For yellow - we can analyse after we analyse green

  Tatiana Tropina:I certainly can go through them

  Tatiana Tropina:at some point :)

  Thiago Jardim:ICANN's thoughts on personal jurisdiction in this case were simply an application of US jurisdictional laws to the case, wasn't it?

  Thiago Jardim:According to US jurisdictional standards, while ohio's courts would have lacked personal jurisdiction to judge the case, the courts of some other US State would have met the personal jurisdiction requirement.

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Time Check - 10 minutes left in call

  Thiago Jardim:Please forgive me for asking this: were today's cases the first ones to be presented in a meeting?

  avri doria:several have been discussed in earlier meetings

  Thiago Jardim:thanks, avri.

  David McAuley (RySG):I'll take one more

  avri doria:i would have never had the timerity to take one on if i had not first listened to the lawyers who went before me.

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:he is listed as a member

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:/participant

  Thiago Jardim:I suppose I do, not sure will have enough broadband to take on all responsibilities involved.

  Brenda Brewer:Thiago has recently submitted an SOI

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:top of the hour

  Thiago Jardim:fair enough, agreed

  Thiago Jardim:thanks

  David McAuley (RySG):Thanks all, see you next call at 1am here

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:thanks all

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye

  Erich Schweighofer:Servus from Vienna

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone good call... bye for now then...

  Nigel Hickson:goodbye

  Mary Uduma:Bye all and thanks.

  Thiago Jardim:bye, thanks

  Tatiana Tropina:goodbye! thanks :)

  avri doria:bye