3. Adoption of the GNSO Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group Final Report and Recommendations
1. On 13 June 2013, the GNSO Council launched a Policy Development Process (PDP) on Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information [http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201306] addressing the following two Charter questions:
a) Whether it is desirable to translate contact information to a single common language or transliterate contact information to a single common script.
b) Who should decide who should bear the burden translating contact information to a single common language or transliterating contact information to a single common script.
2. This PDP has followed the prescribed PDP steps as stated in the Bylaws, resulting in a Final Report delivered on 12 June 2015;
3. The Translation and Transliteration PDP has reached consensus on one recommendation and full consensus on the six remaining recommendations in relation to the two issues outlined above;
4. The GNSO Council has reviewed and discussed these recommendations.
1. The GNSO Council recommends to the ICANN Board of Directors the adoption of the recommendations (#1 through #7) as detailed in the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Final Report.
2. On 21 June, the Translation and Transliteration PDP Working Group Working Group notified the Council of a clerical error in the text of Recommendation #4 of the Final Report, which has been edited as follows: “The Working Group recommends that, regardless of the language(s)/script(s) used, it is assured that the data fields are consistent to standards in the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA), relevant Consensus Policy, Additional Whois Information Policy (AWIP) and any other applicable polices. Entered contact information data are [verified] validated, in accordance with the aforementioned Policies and Agreements and the language/script used must be easily identifiable.” The Recommendation with the corrected text has reached full consensus in the Working Group because the correction is needed to reflect the substance of Working Group’s deliberations documented in the Final Report. The corrected Final Report has been posted to the GNSO Council and posted to the GNSO Website: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/transliteration-contact
3. The GNSO Council shall convene a Translation and Transliteration of Contact information Implementation Review Team to assist ICANN Staff in developing the implementation details for the new policy should it be approved by the ICANN Board. The Implementation Review Team will be tasked with evaluating the proposed implementation of the policy recommendations as approved by the Board and is expected to work with ICANN Staff to ensure that the resultant implementation fulfills the intentions of the approved policies. If the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Review Team identifies any potential modifications to the policy or new policy recommendations, the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Implementation Review Team shall refer these to the GNSO Council for its consideration and follow-up, as appropriate. Following adoption by the ICANN Board of the recommendations, the GNSO Secretariat is authorized to issue a call for volunteers for a Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Implementation Review Team to the members of Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group.