Attendees: 

Sub-Group Members: Guru Acharya; Wanawit Ahkuputra; Paradorn Athichitsakul; Wale Bakare; Graeme Bunton; Fatima Cambronero; Alissa Cooper; Phil Corwin; Olivier Crepin-Leblond; Eduardo Diaz; Stephanie Duchesneau; Amr Elsadr; Lars-Erik Forsberg; Alan Greenberg; Robert Guerra; Erick Iriarte; Paul Kane; Yasuichi Kitamura; Pitinan Kooarmornpatana; Brenden Kuerbis; Cheryl Langdon-Orr; Elise Lindeberg; Camino Manjon-Sierra; Vika Mpisane; Milton Mueller; Sivasubramanian Muthusamy; Seun Ojedeji; Plamena Popova; Greg Shatan; Peter Van Roste; 

Staff: Grace Abuhamad, Bart Boswinkel; Berry Cobb; Marika Konings; Bernard Turcotte

Apologies: Avri Doria; Leon Sanchez; Martin Boyle; Joy Liddicoat; Allan MacGillivray; Matthew Shears

**Please let Grace know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Proposed Agenda: 

1. Welcome & Roll Call
  2. Coordination Team for RFP3 subgroup
  3. Timeline & Deliverables
  4. Review of Variables document and CWG RFP 2A document
  5. AOB

Notes & Action Items

Coordination Team for RFP3 subgroup

Timeline & deliverables

Review of CWG RFP 2a Document

Action item: All encouraged to review  2A document and think about how any of these process steps may change

Variables Document

Next steps:

Transcript

The transcript is available here: RFP_Meeting1_6Nov.doc

Recordings

The Adobe Connect recording is available here: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p4p4tywz9bw/

The audio recording is available here: https://icann.box.com/shared/static/4xhxxs9qmvqicfos4dbm.mp3

Documents Presented

Draft List of Variables.pdf

IANA Stewardship Transition CWG RFP Section 2A Proposal - 3 Nov 14.docx

Chat Transcript

Marika Konings:Welcome to the CWG-RFP3 meeting of 6 November 2014

Camino Manjon:Good afternoon everyone

Greg Shatan:Good morning, afternoon aned evening, all

Robert Guerra:Grace - is the conference code still CWG IANA ?

Robert Guerra:i tried dialing in - and they said such a code wasn't active... are we not using it for this sub-group?

Stephanie Duchesneau (RySG):code is rfp3

Robert Guerra:ah.ok

Graeme Bunton:Omnious horror movie sound effects?

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:hello

Erick Iriarte:good morning :) here in costa rica the day is great :)

Lars Erik Forsberg:Hi everyone

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

Wale Bakare:Hi everyone

Seun Ojedeji:Hi Wale

Wale Bakare:Hi Seun, nice seeing you here

Berry Cobb:In regards to the timeline we have on our current Project Plan (starting 4 Nov) until 24 Nov to produce the RFP3 Draft.  With this deadline, that allows the greater CWG 1 calendar week to pull in all RFP drafts into a single document and conduct edits from there.

Berry Cobb:That said, that does not mean contributions to RFP3 will cease on 24 Nov, just a deadline date to allow the larger group to edit the full RFP.

Seun Ojedeji:Meanwhile i think there may be need to update the timeline as the subgroup 4 has a delivery of Nov 10th

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:Will we be breaking up into groups in Frankfurt?

Berry Cobb:@Suen, the latest PP has the 24th as a due date for RFP4 as well.

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Correct for Allan

Berry Cobb:We will upload the latest project plan to the wiki.

Seun Ojedeji:okay will check-out the update then @Berry

Seun Ojedeji:thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:best add me to the CC group as well

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:having served in the FOI WG for hears :-)

Berry Cobb:The latest project plan for CWG-Stewardship is here:  https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/49359886/CWG-IANA%20Stewardship-Naming%20Related%20Functions_20141102.pdf?version=2&modificationDate=1415283562924&api=v2

Erick Iriarte:I would like to help in sub-group ccTLD

Lars Erik Forsberg:Difficult for GAC members to pic one of the groups?

Milton:I agree with Greg about this

Wale Bakare:I also think these sub-groups should have timeline prior to the F2F meeting in Frankfurt

Brenden Kuerbis:@MM The risk of framenting part?

Milton:yes

Milton:Going off into silos.

Berry Cobb:Please, I remind speakers to first announce their name before making their statements for transcript purposes.  Thank you.

Milton:ccTLDs and gTLDs use the same IANA. While they have different sources of policy, they use the same functions

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:Also agree with Greg. If we isolate propsals for the different types of TLDs, it'll probably be because we're overcomplicating things, and treading dangerously close to policy issues.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@berry can you also email links put in chat or send a copy of the full chat not all   OSs allow live links from AC. rooms (e.g. my Android one)

Berry Cobb:@CLO - copy that.  Will do.

Erick Iriarte:so now our chair (greg) will have the important role to mix to perspective and realities related to TLDs

Erick Iriarte:o now our chair (greg) will have the important role to mix two perspective and realities related to TLDs

Seun Ojedeji:But that was the same thing that was done for rfp1 and 2 so cc and gtld should work together to provide their content

Seun Ojedeji:I really don't see how having sub-sub-group will make things faster

Seun Ojedeji:Thank you for that question!

Erick Iriarte:in some point ccTLDs and gTLDs are so different (in special related with local policies and local regulation). In the case gTLDs is only one legislation (US - contracts), in case of ccTLDs you have almost one legislation by country (in some cases have more regulations)

Milton:echoes!

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):Noise in the line

Brenden Kuerbis:But that is all policy related

Brenden Kuerbis:@Erick

Seun Ojedeji:@Eric Yes they are and those differences where also raised on rfp1 and 2 respectively without necessarily creating sub-sub-group

Brenden Kuerbis:Once the policy is settled, the inputs to IANA are very similar

Robert Guerra:might I suggest that sub-sub groups get tasks to develop specific languate to gTLD/cTLD in parallel to this sub-group. It's just putting tgogether experts to help make sure text icomes from that community. I

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:yes

Marika Konings:What if the sub-groups would conduct their work on the main RFP3 list so that everyone has visilibity to the conversation and can provide input as needed?

Robert Guerra:let's not get stuck on process of the sub-sub groups, instead focus on the main topics at hand and develop language which we need

Erick Iriarte:@milton : we always listen you :)

Wale Bakare:Considering the criticality of RFP3 proposal, i think, it's imperative to capture all important elements for the full proposal. Thereby, having the ccTLD and gTLD not bad. But the challenge is getting a well riched documents ready prior to the F2F

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):#Greg: Thanks

Brenden Kuerbis:We just need to ensure that IANA implments according to the policy set by ccTLDs, gTLDs

Milton:+1 Brenden

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Greg

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):Are we going to create more mailing lists to do this work?

Seun Ojedeji:@Eduardo no all discussion will happen on rfp3

Wale Bakare:@Eduardo, am not really sure about that

Brenden Kuerbis:Agree with Stephanie's comment

Wale Bakare:as there's cwg-rfp3 mailing list already

Erick Iriarte:...

Erick Iriarte:i have troubles with my mic

Erick Iriarte:sorry

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):@Seun: that will complicate things. Imagine the traffic flow: cctld subgrou communicating with its memeber, gtld sugroup to theirs and the rest ALL in one place. How do you know what is what?

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:2B has not been published yet

Seun Ojedeji:@Eduardo  if we were able to pull that off for the 1 and 2a,b then rfp 3 will be easier to handle

Seun Ojedeji:its better cctld and gtld experienced folks put in their part in one document so we see how it all fits hollistically

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):@Seun: I think the issues in this group are more complex. This is the PROPOSAL

Wale Bakare:@seun, that would unnecessary create a an overhead

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:GAC Principles assume IANA Operator is in ICANN -

Milton:Bernard: that's a problem

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:If there are any changes required to the GNSO PDP, this may involve accountability issues that should be addressed by the broader ICANN accountability CWG.

Wale Bakare:@Seun, that would unnecessarily create an overhead with time constraint

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed @bernie

Seun Ojedeji:@Wale could you explain why you so. Because i think that is even the best way to move faster instead of creating content in isolation and then trying to fit them together

Robert Guerra:Guidebook & PDP process, in as much as they document the process - would have to be updated accordingly

Wale Bakare:+1 Eduardo's suggestion on mailing lists makes sense, i think

Seun Ojedeji:we already have a fragmentation at IANA level communities already(which is for ICG to worry about)...we don't have to put more here

Alan Greenberg:NETmundial Webinar starts in 18 minutes.  Are we planning to break for that?

Marika Konings:Please note that you all have scroll control

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Note - the next version of 2A will have an additional item for IDN ccTLD Fasty Track which was omitted in the intial version

Marika Konings:Page 6 in Adobe Connect

Wale Bakare:@Seun, you have point though, but getting the right balance round the workloads important at this stage. The ccTLD and gTLD sub-groups could work amongst themselves an at interval have others' contributions

Robert Guerra:in P7/ step 2-6 no doubt where we need to focus our discussions

Milton:did you like the first poiont about separating G and CC parts of 2A?

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to @Robert

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:This will be covered in 2B

Seun Ojedeji:and we need to just determine if 2-7 can be forgotten going forward

Camino Manjon:Agree with MIlton that IRP could be factored in

Milton:Bernard: ok, but doesn't 2A ask about dispute resolution?

Milton:oK, I get it. 2B is oversight and accountability - IRP fits better in there

Milton:Ha! 2B or not 2B

Grace Abuhamad:Nice @Milton!

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Milton, I think the  dispute considerations in 2A were for inside the policy dev., process

Milton:Yes, I got it now. makes sense

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:Agree with Robert and Seun. Focus should be more on 2-6, and a discussion on the need for 2-7 to remain should take place.

Milton:strictly speaking IRP cases can come from inside the policy process (in fact, they usually do) but I think it is more of an accountability measure than a DRP for policy

Robert Guerra:Process should be there - question is what entity does it, and processed that allow it to make that decision

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Milton - probably not for cc's

Milton:Could a ccTLD avail itself of the IRP

Milton:?

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Yes on a Board decision

Milton:OK

Seun Ojedeji:@Robert i think that process 2-7 is somewhat a repitition of process 2-6 (in part)

Stephanie Duchesneau (RySG):bernard - is the reconsideration request also being discussed within 2b?

Milton:I would think Reconsideration would fit more in policy DRP

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Stephanie - described and presented in 2B -yes

Milton:I will have to depart. Don't do anything crazy ;-)

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:Milton - I think we need a vote on that...

Milton:consensus!!!!

Seun Ojedeji:Hahah...lol Milton....!!! Thank god you are leaving ;)

Robert Guerra:Believe there should be an oversight body.

Alan Greenberg:Needs to be more than "advisory" in current def'n

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:agreed @alan g

Robert Guerra:when oportune, please advise if can make comment on A&B

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and must be a MSG in my view

Seun Ojedeji:It depends on what oversight body is referred to here. So yes i am in favor of oversight so long as its interpretted into a mechanism within ICANN

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Let's add an. CA - Contracting Authority to the list in Box A.  to encompass @amr's point

Wale Bakare:I also think the oversight should include not only service level but, i my humble opinion, would suggest Service Delivery and Level Agreement because it centers on direct customers

Seun Ojedeji:I am so much in agreement with the current speaker

Wale Bakare:SDLA - Service Delivery and Level Agreement

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:depends on the definition of what the 'oversight body' is tasked with

Sivasubramanian M:For IANA, we might need a 3 tier system,  a) all tehcnical (routine) functions grouped under Functions or Operations, with an emphasis on greater technical participation or only Technical participation. b) a Management Tier, which is either internal to IANA or housed within ICANN that takes care of most of what is dicussed as "oversight" and c) a higher oversight that needs to be discussed

Sivasubramanian M:b) needs to be multi-stakeholder as with the present ICANN multistakeholder structure

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Greg: I think we may be saying the same thing, but it may be the semantics that are the issue here.

Sivasubramanian M:c) could also be multistakeholder but that would require a modified model with an emphasis on the required experience and expertise for oversight

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:We may want to replace oversight with a different word.

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):@Amr: MAybe use coordinator (again)

Elise Lindeberg GAC:could we have a oversight mechanism rather than a set function  - that could step into function if needed ? just a thought

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Eduardo: I personally like "contracting authority". It seems to me to be the most descriptive term to the function I would like to see. :)

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:An authority that enforces contractual compliance, and decides on renewal and/or dissolving the agreement.

Alan Greenberg:"coordinator" and "contracting authority" are likely to be VERY different functions...

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Alan: I agree.

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Seun: +1, but I would go further by saying specific groups within the ICANN community.

Alan Greenberg:pROBABLY NOT THE TIME FOR DETAILED DESIGN RIGHT NOW.

Alan Greenberg:Oops - sorry for caps

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:Not trying to go into detailed design right now, but the context of the approach may be influenced by what descriptive labels we choose right now. I see way too much oversight and nothing else on this document right now. Thought it'd be good to just put this on the record now.

Brenden Kuerbis:Perhaps Administrative Body would be the most appropriate term. In that it could (depending on the solution we design) administer a contract with an operator to provide the IANA functions.

Brenden Kuerbis:Or it could have some other sort of mechanism with the operator.

Greg Shatan:@Amr: What do you think is missing?

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Alan - I agree !

Camino Manjon:agree with current speaker. Registries may have conflicts with current bottom-up policy and may not be well suited to perform oversight fx.

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Alan: Policy would dictate the terms of the contract, wouldn't it?

Wale Bakare:+1 Elise

Wanawit Ahkuputra GAC:+1Elise

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Greg: It's not really what's missing, but how the division of roles between customers and oversight/administrator/authority is done.

Alan Greenberg:@Amr, don't much care about words. We need to ensure the policy is followed, and that service level commitments are met.

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):+1 Alan

Alan Greenberg:@Stephanie, if "oversight" by Ry/ccTLD is only with respect to service levels, then that has never been said where I saw it.

Alan Greenberg:Have not really thought about it, but I *might* agree to the restriction for only SL.

Seun Ojedeji:I think something like that is existing

Seun Ojedeji:it was shared on Gdocs

Seun Ojedeji:need to look for the url

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):@Olivier: I will add what type of  oversigth

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):Technical? Administrative?

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:This has "somewhat" been done: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bycchop8VaMWVlJBalk4VG1CelE&usp=sharing&tid=0Bycchop8VaMWeDFnY3FXckRJbWc

Wale Bakare:@Amr, thanks for the link

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:;-)

Elise Lindeberg GAC:+1 Edvardo Diaz

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:The Google Doc which you point out is helpful, Amr, but clearly this needs to be expanded. Because otherwise I do not know how we are going to make heads or tails of all of the points of view here :-)

Grace Abuhamad:@Seun we are dialing back to you

Seun Ojedeji:Actually there is another one that had 5 scenarios

Seun Ojedeji:i just can't seem to find the url right now

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Olivier: Yes, of course. It also addresses IANA as a whole, and not specifically the oversight body you were asking about. That's why I said "somewhat". :)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I really like the document that has the list of variables

Wale Bakare:@Eduardo, what about Technical for SLA, while Adminitrative - validation/verification/policy?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:funding? It's all FREE! :-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:If we choose no new body then we're pretty much finished with our task.

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):At what point in our discussion do we decide where IANA is going to reside? I think it should be soon since I am under the impression that it will drive the rest of the proposal

Wale Bakare:@Seun, it's same link shared 2 days ago for variables , compositions and pros and cons

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Eduardo - are you sure? We don't even know if the function will be separated or not

Fatima Cambronero:+1 @Eduardo

Alan Greenberg:Monday mid-day for me.

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:@Eduardo: Similar to a principle of IANA being separable from ICANN, have you considered the residence being movable? :)

Stephanie Duchesneau (RySG):happy to work on documentation as well - sorry for being mum at the start of the call

Alan Greenberg:I think it is an old hand that has not yet been recognized.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:that was a new hand, gre!

Eduardo Diaz - (ALAC):Bye - Adios

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:bye

Stephanie Duchesneau (RySG):thanks greg, thanks alL!

Wale Bakare:Thanks, bye

Fatima Cambronero:thanks all. Bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye thanks all thanks Greg

Amr Elsadr - NCSG/GNSO:Thank all. Bye.

Greg Shatan:Thank you all.  Bye!

Camino Manjon:bye!

Greg Shatan:Olivier -- so sorry I did not see your note!

Seun Ojedeji:bye