NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 10 February 2014

Time: 20:00 UTC (for the time in various timezones click here) Please Note that Daylight Savings Time ended 2 November 2013 but will resume 9 March 2014 - Regardless, this call will occur at 3PM ET/12PM PT


How can I participate in this meeting? 1(800)550-6865, Teleconference ID: 1638

Adobe Connect Link: http://icann.adobeconnect.com/naralo/

(If you have never attended a Connect Pro meeting before: Test your connection and get a quick overview)


Attendees:  

Apologies:

Staff: 

Call management:


Summary Minutes:    Summary Minutes 10 February 2014

Action Items: Action Items 10 February 2014

Transcript: EN 

Chat: AC Chat transcript 10 February 2014     

Recording: EN   


AGENDA  BEING UPDATED - SEND COMMENTS TO CHAIR

1. Welcome and Roll call - Staff (2 min)

2. Review of Action Items of Monthly January 2014  - Glenn McKnight  (2 min) 

2.1. Staff - Please move "Miscellaneous" to the bottom of the directory tree

2.2: Staff - Please reorganize the "NARALO Monthly Report" listings in descending chronological order so most-recent year (2014) is first

2.3. Staff - Is it possible to create chair@naralo.org and secretary@naralo.org aliases to ease officer transitions?

2.5. Nathalie Peregrine (Staff) The ALS RALO database is to show the date of updating, please advise of status

2.6. Eduardo Diaz to supply ATLAS Needs for Volunteers (See 3.2.1)

2.7. ALAC Chair/Alan G. - Please advise on the status of the NARALO Chair request to publicly notify ICANN Compliance of issues noted in 8.1.1. and the December Monthly Report and discussed on leadership calls

2.x. Staff - Please verify if Sarah Alkire of Youth Helping Youth Inc dba: Emerging Futures Network is on the NARALO thread mailing list

2.8. Nathalie Peregrine (Staff) to notify RALO leaders and the ALAC members when the RALO ALS database is updated.

2.9. Secretary: Please ensure that HETS members are added to the NARALO and At-Large Skype Chats 

2.10. Heidi Ullrich (Staff) Please update on the Native Scholarship/fellowship program  - Formal Documentation Requested

2.x. ALAC - NARALO Chair has made a formal request to de-certify Alberta Community Network Association under rule #16 of the NARALO Operating Principles

2.x. Staff - With the departure of Matt A. please advise on who would be the contact for automating the NARALO ALS application form

2.x. Staff - Please advise on the status of including Closed Captioning for filmed ICANN Sessions

2.x. Staff - Connecting.nyc,  is missing from the ALS list - please update.

2.x. Staff - ISOC CA appears listed twice in the ALS list - please update.

2.x. Staff - Please ensure HETS and Capital Area Globetrotters are listed in the ALS list

2.x. Staff - Please move the NARALO Outreach and Recruitment Sub-Committee under NARALO ALS Outreach and Recruitment Efforts in the directory tree

2.x. Glenn McKnight (Secretary) - Please advise on creation of alphabetical schedule for Spotlights for the coming year

2.x. Staff - Please send NARALO Brochures to Glenn McKnight - Completed

2.x. Staff - Please verify if HETS has received and/or completed the ATLAS II Survey - Completed

2.x. Staff - Please verify if Capital Area Globetrotters has received and/or completed the ATLAS II Survey - Completed


 

3. Meetings & Events (5 Minutes)

3.1. Singapore 23-27 March

3.1.1. NARALO Meeting in Singapore: What time? What topics? - Monday 7 a.m. Local time  That is 4 p.m. west coast US and 7 pm. East coast

3.1.x. Tor and Alternate DNS at the FCWG session - tentative Thursday, 27 March between 8:00-9:00

3.1.x. ICANN Accessibility Taskforce Monday, 24 March 2014 Time: 14:00-15:00 Meeting Room: TBD

3.1.2. At-Large Working Space

3.1.3. Do sponsored travelers have their information?

3.1.4. Gala is on MONDAY

3.2. London ATLAS II 22 - 26 June 2014

3.2.1. ATLAS II Needs list for volunteers. (Eduardo Diaz)

3.2.2. ATLAS II Public Relations Subgroup

3.2.3. London Fellowship

3.3. Los Angeles 12-16 October 2014

3.4. RSA Conference (San Francisco 24-28 February)

3.5. Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance (Sao Paulo, 23-24 April) - Following along from the Montevideo Statement

3.6. Colorado Internet Society,   The Future of the Internet 2014: Defining Software Defined Networks 22 August 2014   

3.7. Sixth South School on Internet Governance Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, 28 April to May 02, 2014 (SSIG 2014) - Fellowship Opportunity

3.8. ADA Symposium (Denver 15-18 June)

3.9. NTEN (Washington 13-15 March) - Proposed as CROPP

3.10. ARIN (Chicago 13-16 April) - Proposed as CROPP

3.11. Forward any other meeting notices to Chair or Secretary!

4. Review of Communication/Outreach Strategy

4.1. Efforts to engage/outreach Disabled Communities

4.1.1. Ongoing Cross-RALO engagement and with Chris Mondini

4.1.2. Cooperating with APRALO to introduce the topic in Singapore - ICANN Accessibility Taskforce Monday, 24 March 2014 Time: 14:00-15:00 Meeting Room: TBD

4.1.3. Plan to have a presentation on blind use of the Internet in London (Keynote)

4.1.3.1. Develop At-Large Brochures in Braille?

4.1.3.2. AChecker: This tool checks single HTML pages for conformance with accessibility standards to ensure the content can be accessed by everyone. 

4.1.4. Plan to have Ken Harrenstien present in Los Angeles (Keynote)

4.1.4.1. YouTube's Closed Caption 'Jedi': On cc Upgrades, Searchability And Why It's Personal

4.1.4.2. Author of RFC 742 NAME/FINGER

4.1.4.3. ICANN Should as a standard include Closed Captioning for ALL filmed ICANN Sessions

4.2. Automation of the ALS Application

4.3. CROPP appointees and work

4.4.  Outreach recruitment queue

4.4.1. Submit recommendations to Murray McKercher

4.4.2. Palmyra Atoll to be removed from list due to a lack of permanent residents

4.4.3. Re-engagement of Consumer Web Watch (as Consumers Union) attempted by Chair

4.4.4. Chair made official request to de-certify Alberta Community Network Association under Rule #16

5. Our Community (10 Minutes)

5.1. NARALO ALS Spotlight

5.1.1 HETS

5.1.2. No Spotlight during Singapore meeting

5.1.3. April Spotlight America At-Large

5.1.4. Spotlight Calendar

5.2. Welcome Capital Area Globetrotters

5.x Internet Society of Canada published it's first four video interviews with Dr. Sam Lanfranco, economist on Internet Issues and Canadians . Evan Leibovitch Interviews

5.3.   Developing a comprehensive transition plan for oncoming officers:

5.3.1. Database of ALS  - staff

5.3.2. Names of people on working groups - staff

5.3.3. Form letters - Darlene, if any

5.3.4. Timelines for elections - to coordinate with staff

5.3.5. Policies and procedures - see NARALO by laws

5.3.6. In General this must be formalized Cross-RALO so At-Large has efficiency - This has been proposed to include in the Academy.

5.4. On TOR and Alternate DNS

5.4.1. NARALO Chair has called upon ALAC and SSAC to have a joint session in Singapore to present and discuss Internet structures which are beyond ICANN control

5.5. Synchronizing Calls to Monthly Reports

5.5.1. Please review the new format of the Monthly Reports which are now structured to mirror the Call Agenda. This is intended to streamline the way we do our work and account for our time.

5.5.2. How would YOU make our efforts more Metric-friendly? View the ALAC Metrics Wiki Space

5.8. Alberta Community Association is defunct, therefore Garth Bruen will start the internal process to de-certify.

 

6. Committee/Working Group Activity - for All WG/Committee Reports

6.1.NONCOM Report Submitted by Louis H. (NomCom Report)

6.1.1. Suggest a Candidate

6.1.2 2014 NomCom webpage, Announcement

 

 

 

6.2. Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2) Report

6.2.1. ATRT2 Comments to Board

6.3. Future Challenges Working Group

6.4. CROPP Reports

6.5. At-Large Finance and Budget Subcommittee

6.6. Privacy and Proxy services Accreditation Issues WG

7.  At-Large Advisory Committee "ALAC" Issues (Olivier, Evan, Eduardo, Alan - 10 Minutes)

7.1 Policy Advice Development Page

7.2. Recently held meetings

ALAC Monthly call is scheduled on Tuesday 28 January 2014 at 1500 UTC

Translation and Transliteration Contact info PDP WG Thursday 16th January

ALT Mid-Monthly Thursday 16th January

IRTP D - https://community.icann.org/x/B4JwAg Monday 27 January

ATLAS II Events - https://community.icann.org/x/XgC6Ag Monday 27 January

LACRALO Governance - https://community.icann.org/x/7QG6Ag Monday 27 January

APRALO monthly - https://community.icann.org/x/DgO6Ag Tuesday 28 January

Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues (PPSAI) - https://community.icann.org/x/fQe6Ag Tuesday 28 January

EURALO monthly - https://community.icann.org/x/YwCuAg Tuesday 28 January

Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation (SCI) - https://community.icann.org/x/_QK6Ag Tuesday 28 January

Cross-RALO WG on ATLAS II Celebration - https://community.icann.org/x/FQe6Ag Wednesday 29 January

ALT monthly call - https://community.icann.org/x/LgO6Ag Thursday 30 January

8. ICANN Functions (5 Minutes) (Communication Strategy III.5)

8.1 Compliance Tracking

8.1.1. The Chair has made a formal request of ALAC to forward a list of concerns highlighted in a December Washington Post article. The full extent of the request is posted within the December NARALO Monthly Report

8.1.2. Domain Hijacking/Unauthorized Transfers

8.1.2.1. How I Lost My $50,000 Twitter Username

8.2 Language and Translation

8.2.1: An abstract of the Naralo Monthly Meeting that we could post on our Web site (or RSS it), including some of the documents produced by ICANN, that we discuss and that would be worth translating to attract attention toward NARALO.

8.2.2: Translate RAA and legal documents related to the RAA into French and Spanish

8.2.3: Translations of Registrar/Registry documents in local languages(where the company operates) to avoid consumer disputes.

8.2.4: Staff will provide for future Election instructions en Français and en Espanol

8.3 Travel

8.3.1 All travel-sponsor related issues should be reported or copied to the Chair.

8.3.2 Travel Support Guidelines

8.3.3. Reciprocity Refund for BA (All but one have reported receipt)

8.4. New gTLDs

8.4.1. Controlled interruption as a means to prevent name collisions (Alan)

8.4.2. Letter from Chair on reserving At-Large related strings being drafted

8.5. On tracking travel-related reimbursement, and other staff actions, we need a better tracking system with full-disclosure. Conversations via Skype, etc, can't be tracked.

9. Any Other Business "AOB" (2 Minutes)

9.1. News

Obama faces digital divide growing wider on heels of FCC ruling on Net Neutrality

Amazon a hornets nest of malware

NSA spying through Angry Birds, Google Maps

Call for Review of “Technical Considerations for Internet Service Blocking and Filtering”

NSA Targets Yahoo Users Most

California Educator Accused Of Sexual Abuse Via YouTube Jailed On Felony Charges

Is Apple planning its own Internet?

Virginia Court Says Domain Names Are Not Property

When It Comes To High-Speed Internet, U.S. 'Falling Way Behind'

10. Action Items

10.1 Previously Closed Action Items

2.18. All - Please note that "New gTLDs" has been removed as a standard item and moved under "ICANN Functions"

2.19. All - Please note that the agenda has been renumbered since the last session

2.12. Heidi Ullrich (Staff) to request information from Christopher Mondini on disabled community  access activities. Completed, (see 4.1.)

2.13. Garth Bruen (Chair) to let Sandra Hofferichter and other organizers of the ICANN Academy know of the need for training for RALO Leaders and Secretariats. - Completed (see 5.6). 

2.14. Heidi Ullrich (Staff) to look for a Digital certificate of Gareth Shearman - Complete (see 5.7.)

2.15. METRICS WG Feedback: Garth Bruen to  request feedback from all the NARALO ALSes. - Integrated in ongoing discussions (see 5.5)

2.16. Staff - Please create a "2014 Teleconference" Directory in the WIKI - Complete
2.4  Staff - Please advise of the status of Buenos Aires Reciprocity Reimbursements

2.11. Staff: Please advise on the staff Due Diligence status of new ALS application: Capital Area Globetrotters