NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 21 October 2019

Time: 16:00 - 17:00 UTC (for the time in various time zones click here)  

How can I participate in this meeting? 

1(800)550-6865, Teleconference EN ID: 1638

 **Zoom room:  https://icann.zoom.us/j/421072539


Dial out Participants:

EN: 

Apologies:  David Mackey, Judith Hellerstein

Staff: Silvia Vivanco, Claudia Ruiz

Call Management: Claudia Ruiz


Summary Minutes:    

Action Topics: EN

Recording: EN

Zoom Recording: EN

Zoom Chat: EN    

Transcript: EN


AGENDA

1. Attendance (XX/52 - XX%)

This section is to record the meeting attendance.

ALS (Total 24 ::11CA/13US) - Attendance (XX/24 - XX%) 

yone#

ALS

REP

ALT

US

CA

1Pacific Community Networks Association/CAAllan SkuceBev Collins
X
2ISOC DC/USDustin LoupJohn MoreX
3ISOC PR/PREduardo DíazAlfredo CalderónX
4Canadian Association for Open Source (CLUE)/CAEvan Leibovitch Mathew Rice
X
5Foundation For Build. Sustainable Communities/CAGlenn McKnightRobert T Bell
X
6Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group/CAGordon ChillcottBill  Thanis
X
7Association of Internet Users/US :: ALAC 2017-19John LapriseCristina WilllardX
8ISOC NY/USGreg Shatan-X
9Capital Area Globetrotters/USJudith HellersteinLe-Marie ThompsonX
10Consumers Council of Canada/CA

Kenneth L. Whitehurst

Howard Dean
X
11ISOC CO/US

Karen Mulberry 

-X
12ISOC SF/USLeah SymekherSusannah GrayX
13Native Public Media/USLoris TaylorElyse Dempsey
X
14Telecommunities Canada/CA Marita MollGarth Graham
X
15Communatique/CAMonique Chartrand -
X
16The IP/Tech. Section of the HI State Bar Assoc./USDavid MorrisDane AndersonX
17ISOC Quebec/CAPierre-Jean Darres Robert Castonguay
X
18ISOC Canada/CAShelley Robinson Murray McKercher 
X
19Connecting.nyc Inc./USThomas Lowenhaupt ( deceased)Robert PollardX
20Hispanic Educational Tech. Services (HETS)/PRYubelkys MontalvoYelixa CastroX
21Nova Scotia Community Access ProgramDana PerryErick Stackhouse
X
22At-Large North American Graduate Students/USDavid Cristian MorarAnna Cecile Loup X
23Alternatives, Inc.Michel LambertMyriam Cloutier
X
24Colegio de Ingenieros de Puerto RicoJosé LebrónMiguel BauzáX

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

*P=Present

RED = Under decertification

Unaffiliated (Total 27 :: 6CA/22US) Attendance (XX/28 - XX%) 

#

Name

US

CA

1Adrian Schmidt
X
2Alan Greenberg
X
3Bill JourisX
4Daniel WrightX
5David Mackey
X
6Denise de Alcantara-HochbaumX
7Endrias ZewdeX
8Edward HasbrouckX
9Javier Rúa Jovet X
10Jeongwon RyuX
11Jeremy PesnerX
12Joey Doyle
X
13Jonathan ZuckX
14Kevin FrazierX
15Kirstin DoanX
16Kristian Stout X
17Linda KaiserX
18Michelangelo De Simone
X
19Nat CohenX
20Nathalie CoupetX
21Philip RighterX
22Robert Guerra
X
23Robert JacobiX
24Roland YarbroughX
25Thomas W CampbellX
26Thomas StruettX
27Wes BoudvilleX
28William Cunningham X

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

2. Approval of the Agenda & Discussion Order 

This section is to record the approval of this meeting agenda and its discussion order. (00:01/00:01)

→ 09 September: approved.

3. Meeting Discussion Order 

Topic

Discussion


Lead

Allotted Time/Running Time

041

Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

→: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership:

  • Presentation
    • Universal Acceptance by Dr. Ajay Data
  • Request
    • 2020 Newsletter Editor
  • Update Reports
    • ATLAS III/NASIG updates
    • FY20 NARALO Discretionary Funds
    • NARALO Policy Group Update Report
    • NARALO Outreach Group Update Report
  • Next Meeting: (question) 18 November 2019 @ 19:00 UTC

Eduardo

(00:04 / 00:05)
068

Universal Acceptance (UA)

→  Team responsible for liaising  with the UA Org to educate NARALO in UA concepts and help identify ways on how our RALO and the UA Org could work together to help spread the importance of UA in our region. 

  • For this meeting
    • Introductions

    • Universal Acceptance (UA) presentation by Dr. Ajay Data 

Denise

(00:30 / 00:35)
071

2020 Newsletter Editor

→: To request volunteers to help with the NARALO newsletter for year 2020. Starting in January 2020. Main responsibility is to acquire content and send it to staff for final assembly and publishing every month.

Eduardo(00:05 / 00:40)
056

ATLAS III & 2019 North America School of Internet Governance (NASIG 2019)

→:To provide an ATLAS III and NASIG update

  • ATLAS III
    • NARALO Participants
      • Adrian Smith &  David Mackey
    • ICANN66  Block Schedule
    • Latest Training Schedule
    • ATLAS III Participants Webinar
      • 23 October 2019 @ 13:00 UTC (90 minutes)


  • NASIG 2019 Report sent by Glenn McKnight
    • "NASIG is scheduled for  Oct 31st and Nov 1st 
      We are expecting  50 participants at the event with all the participants fully sponsored for hotel, meals and reception .  Over 80 are from outside of North America and active participation from  the ICANN community including  ATLARGE, NexGen, Fellows,  NPOC, NCUC, Business community .   Other communities include APC, ISOC, Diplo, ISOC, CIRA, .PR, PIR  and more 
      Thanks to the hard work of  our fellow NARALO members including  Alfredo, Judith, Adrian and Eduardo  in providing huge contributions  to the event.  A parallel  Francophone programme by ISOC Quebec is also organized on November 1st.  
      Video of the sessions and  session notes will be distributed for the next  NARALO meeting 
      A separate  event is planned on November 2nd called  GDPR for Citizens and will be held at the Montreal Cohost with a special effort for NARALO outreach to the small business French language community at the venue" 

Eduardo

Glenn

(00:10 / 00:50)
064

FY20 NARALO Discretionary Funds

→ To report on the use of the funding for FY20 outreach and engagement activities by Regional At Large Organizations (RALOs) - Current NARALO balance: $3,500

  • Reminder on steps to apply (FY20 RALO Requests for Funding to support an Outreach Activity):  
    1. request form needs to be completed to initiate the process.
    2. The request needs to be reviewed and approved by Regional Leadership prior to sending to ICANN org staff
    3. The request must be sent to Silvia Vivanco and Heidi Ullrich at least three weeks prior to the planned activity. 
    4. Approval (or not) will be informed via email to the organization representative that made the request.
  • For this meeting
    • Update on Adrian Schmidt event moved to January 2020
    • Update on Glenn McKnight GDPR event in November (reported on Item #56 above)

Adrian

Glenn

(00:02 / 00:52)
028

NARALO Policy Group Update Report

→: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

      •  At-Large Policy Advice Updates

Jonathan

(00:05 / 0057)
017

NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

→: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts

  • Remainder of CROP Trips FY20 (1 July 2019 through 20 June 2020)
    1. ARIN
    2. NonprofitTechnology Conference 2020 (NTC 20) March 24/26 @Baltimore,Maryland :: Application deadline is January 10, 2020
    3. Net Digital Inclusion 2020 (NDIA 20), April 7/9 @Portland, Oregon :Application deadline is January 10, 2020
  • For this meeting
    • Update on last Outreach & Engagement Working Group (O&E) meeting

Glenn

(00:03 / 00:60)

if we get to them...



026

NARALO ALAC members Update Reports

→: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

Javier

John L.

Marita


029

NARALO Education Group Update Report

→: To provide provide an update report by the head of the Educational Group since our last call.

Alfredo
044

North America Stakeholder Engagement

→: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

  • Current and future engagements

Chris

Joe


050

Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

→: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by this At-Large Structure 

  • F/U syllabus work and Google doc for research material

David

Anna


052

EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data

→: To provide an update report on this effort

Alan
059

RIR Outreach

→: To provide a report on RIR outreach efforts

Judith
065

Real-Time Transcription (RTT) 

LEAD: Judith Hellerstein supported by Silvia Vivanco (ICANN Staff)

→  To provide an update report on the results of this resource.

  • FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR)
    • Approved:
      • Real-Time Transcription (RTT) of up to ten (10) hours of Inter-sessional At-Large teleconference calls in English during FY20
        • Up to date report

Judith

Silvia/Heidi



to be updated in the future...



045

Academic Credits

→:To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

Chris

Yubelkys

David


-

Any Other Business (AOB)

--
-Next meeting: November 18, 2019 @19:00 UTC-(00:01 / 00:60)

*(allowed time/running time)

4. Current Discussion Topics

This section is for discussion topics details that have been carried forward to this meeting

Topic 017: NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

LEAD: Glenn McKnight

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts

→ 12 February 2018 [Recording: 42]  Report given. Please refer to recording/transcript fro more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 14 March [Recording: 50:00]  Update given. Talked about strategic plan. Various testimonials given about outreach efforts. Example given: ICANN read outs, ARIN meetings and IGF Geneva. No action Topic generated. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 09 april [Recording: 29 & 50 ]  William suggested that we put forward an effort to reach out to what are called HBCU, historically black colleges and universities, starting at Howard University in Washington DC. (see more details Page 16 in the transcript). Glenn provided and updated report on outreach efforts during ICANN 61 in Puerto Rico. please refer to page 25 in the transcript for more details. [Decision]: Chris Mondini and William to get on the phone or meet in DC to continue this discussion. 

→ 14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 11June [Recording: 40:25]  Glenn reported. Please read specifics in the transcript page 22. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 10 September [Recording: 36:00] Report given. Transcript excerpt:"So, again, we have two tools. We have CROP which is three trips that ICANN has been generous enough to support. Plus we have discretionary funding." Check transcript starting in page #21 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting. 

→ 8 October [Recording: 23:00]: Mentioned IGF coming up and three CROPs for 2019 - 1. ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019, 2. Digital Inclusion Charlotte, North Carolina 1-3 April 2019 3. NTC19 Portland, Oregon 13-15 March 2019

→ 12 November [Recording: 13:50]: Mentioned outreach boot in the current IGF in Paris, France. Reiterated CROP trips and the deadlines for applying. Check transcript starting in page #10 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: 18:50]: Reported on outreach table at the main IGF event. Check transcript starting in page #12 for more details.

→ 14 January  [Recording: 04:00]: Glennn provided a report and Judith added. Susannah requested information about the procedure used to select people to these event. Please check transcript  starting in page #2 for more details.

→ 11 February: Reports given by Marita Moll (speak to a class at Carlton University), Greg Shatan (event at the United Nations and NYC Civil Hall), Alfredo Calderon (going to Digital Inclusion) and Judith Hellerstein (going to NTC - not for profit technical conference). Please check transcript  starting in page #9 for more details.

→ 8 April  [Recording:26:22]: Glenn provided a summary report. CROP trip reports will be re-scheduled for our next meeting.

→ 13 May : Judith made  her report (see transcript : page 9). Action items: (1) to coordinate with GSE to have an ICANN table in the NTCP event. (2) apply for a speaking slot since it reduces the cost of participation.  Several thousands attend this event. Alfredo Calderon made his report (see transcript : page 14). Action items: (1) apply for a lighting round sessions in advance, (2) Affiliate to the organization. F/U- Outreach lady from NY which lives in New Orleans.

→ 10 June: Marita Moll reported on the Pre ICANN 65  Marrakesh Readout in Ottawa. Others reported as well. Evan shared a comment regarding CROPS and similar instances. Check the transcript page #12.

→ 15 July: Michael Casadevall provided a report for his trip to ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019. Other details are in transcript page 18.

→ 09 September: Report provided. See transcript page 14 for more details.

Topic 026:  NARALO ALAC Members Update Reports

LEAD: Javier Rúa, John Laprise & Alan Greenberg

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

→ 09 april [Recording: 3:00 ]  Javier Rúa gave a summary of the Work Track 5” of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group. Alan mentioned statements already put out by ALAC fro GDPR Implementation, Fellowship Program and KSK Rollover. ALAC is currently looking for input on a proposal model made by the Intellectual Property Constituency (IP) and Business Constituency for accreditation and authorization on WhoIs data and on the replenishment of the ICANN financial reserve. Please check out the Policy Page in the links provided below. [Decision]: Action Topic for staff: Summarize what the policy issues are and send it out to the list as quickly as possible.

→ 14 May [Recording: 12:04 ]  Alan provided a brief report about GDPR , NomCom Review, CCWG on Accountability Work Stream #2 (coming up)  and GNSO on New gTLD (coming up) [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 29:42] No reports given. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 13 August [Recording: 17:00]: Reports provided by Alan  and Javier. See transcript page 10 and 15 to see details. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 10 September [Recording: 46:50]  Report given by John Laprise. Transcript excerpt : "As was mentioned, the KSK rollover is moving ahead, so that will happen before the next ICANN meeting. In addition, the Policy Working Group is getting up and running. Jonathan Zuck [inaudible] there. We’ve got review implementation which is also kicking off as well as ongoing work with new gTLDs and GDPR. The accelerated technical specs that are being under review which is another area of a lot of concern and conversation." Check transcript starting in page #26 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: 30:40]: John reported. Judith added (from transcript) : "we don't only have the auction proceeds closing tomorrow, but we also have policy comments closing on Wednesday as well. And then some policy comments closing in December and then other ones closing in the beginning of January. So it's a very active policy discussion period. And so it’s a chance for everyone to read them and make your comments known. And the other gTLD one is closing, I think, on Wednesday." Heidi mentioned the new At-Large Gateway wiki page as the main entry point to find information about At-Large. Check transcript starting in page #20 for more details

→ 14 January  [Recording: 41:00]: Marita provided a very detailed report.  Some excerpts from the transcript: "...did comment in for the sub-pro Work Track 1 to 4, which was a lot about asking questions about auctions. - ...you will be interested to perhaps read an article on domain insight about Vickrey auctions, which is something that At-Large suggested would be a better way of maybe resolving some of the contention issues around domain names in further rounds. - ... we’re working on right now is the geonames issue where’s a prep for comment open, very deep and long, and detailed about how another round of Top-Level gTLDs should deal with geographic names. - ...We are working on programs for Kobe. We want to make it more of a policy discussion this time."  Check transcript starting in page #20 for more details

Topic 028: NARALO Policy Group Update Report

LEAD: Jonathan Zuck 

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

→ 09 april [Recording: 51] This group is looking for volunteers. Jonathan suggested to focus in the following topics: Disposition of Action Funds, Universal Acceptance and Name Collisions. Please refer to page 26 of the transcript for more details about these.  [Decision]: ACTION Topic: Ask for volunteers for this group. Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 11June [Recording: 43:03] Mentioned that the biggest think is that Subsequent Procedures Working Group is going to be delivering its interim report shortly after Panama. Also discussions about charitable outcome associated with O.com and finally GDPR. More specifics on page 23 in the transcript. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 13 August [Recording: 22:00]:  from the transcript page 14 : "we identify the issues, we’re trying as a group to identify what matters to end users and also what we think our position should be. But at that point, we’ll then need people to participate in drafting that section of our response. So we are interested in more people being engaged to do some writing on a particular question because there are so many questions to answer"  [Decision]:Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 11 February: Presentation given. From transcript :"The big things that have been dominating the discussions in the CPWG of late are the GDPR and privacy generally, subsequent procedures"  Check transcript starting in page #21 for more details

→ 8 April [Recording: 34:00]: Report was provided. Please watch the AC recording starting at 34:00 to view the actual slide deck presentation. Participation in the CPWG was prompted during the meeting.

→ 13 May: Report was provided.See transcript page 26 for more details. The CPWG is the ALAC central funnel related to policy. It’s where the first conversations happen, and then recommendations are made from there to the ALAC for their support and vote. There will be a list fo Hot Topics that will be issued by the CPWG for RALOSs to use in their regions.

→ 10 June: Report was provided.See transcript page 29 for more details.

→ 15 July: See transcript page 30 for more details.

→ 09 September: Looking at the charter and process for the CPWG to figure out what the process is for taking in issues and how to do an exploration of whether or not it’s a good issue for the CPWG to take on and to refer it to others if it’s not. Ongoing discussions related to the Subsequent Procedures. This is an ongoing effort and ALAC have particular concerns over making sure the communities and underserved regions are better served by a new round and so we continue to work on those issues. Working on issues related to the new GDPR Regulation in Europe and continue to get updates from Alan and Hadia about what’s going on there because right now they’re trying to explore scenarios that might occur in terms of who might be trying to get Registrant Data and for what reasons and how the system can accommodate that. Ongoing discussions about the Evolution of the MultiStakeholder Model, an effort launched by the Board and shepherded by Brian Cute and we are engaged in conversations about how the MultiStakeholder Model evolves and how to best position At-Large in the interests of individual end users in that evolution. More details in page 12 of the transcript.

Topic 029: NARALO Education Group Update Report

LEAD: Alfredo Calderon

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: This discussion Topic is for providing an update report by the head of the Educational Group.

→ 09 april [Recording: --]  For the May meeting, Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Future topics must align with ICANN's mission, therefore, the Policy & Hot Topics must be reviewed if a SWebinar is to be organized. It seems reasonable to consider Pollicy Comments as a point of reference. We are aware that in some instances the timeframe will be a limitation when Public comments before our monthly meetings. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 14 May [Recording: 45:00 ]   Presentation given by Jonathan on Intelectual Property Constituency (IPC) / Business Constituency (BC) Accreditation & Access Model for Non-Public Data. Please see details in transcript starting on page #30. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 11June [Recording: 47:05]  No report given. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 9 July:  Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Basic information available here. Seeking volunteers to do SWebinars for upcomming meetings. Topics must be related to ICANN's mission and pressing issues that might entice commenting by the  RALO.

→ 10 September [Recording: 44:00] Report given. Transcript excerpt : "I sent out an e-mail through the education group to gather topics that we feel that we should have a short webinar in the coming meetings, keeping in mind that if they are really related with some policy that is out there for comment and it’s time-sensitive, we’re going to give priority to those." Check transcript starting in page #25 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: 51:00]: Report  given (from transcript) :"...I would like to have is people from this community suggesting speakers that we could invite for the upcoming meeting for next year. And you can send them through the email that I posted on the chat, so we can start planning for next year." Check transcript starting in page #32 for more details

Topic 041: Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership.

→ 11 February :  Overview given. Check transcript starting in page #1 for more details

→ 8 April: Overview given. Check recording starting at 1:02 for more details

 10 June: Overview given. Check transcript page #1 for more details 

→ 15 July: Overview given. Check recording starting at 1:09 for more details

→ 09 September:

Topic 044: North America Stakeholder Engagement

LEAD: Chris Mondini & Joe Catapano

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

→ 10 September [Recording: 16:31]  Report given. Transcript excerpt: "We are also working with two universities, the University of California in Los Angeles and also Arizona State University and also the University of Colorado, to work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in policy development processes or have some other ICANN policy development advancing role. So we are talking to them actively." Yubelkys Montalvo from HETS was very interesting in helping with this effort. Check transcript starting in page #10 for more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 8 October [Recording: 30:50]: DC office hosted 12 members from Indonesia to talk about organization and policy of private sector corporations such as ICANN. This was in conjunction with the State Department and done about twice a year. Also, coordinate UN meeting for the ICANN Government  Engagement team. Finally held a sucessful meeting with the US Chamber of Commerce. Main theme was GDPR. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: 30:20]: No representatives were present. Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 11 February: Report given. Check transcript starting in page #15 for more details. Judith request (from transcript): "we would be interested in events that are held in DC for other constituencies or other groups. We find out late to the event, and it would be great if you could give us a heads up so maybe some of our ALS's or individual members could attend. I know there was an event in DC focused on nonprofits and some other one at the ICANN office, but we didn't know about it until we just got a review who are on the GNSO's mailing list about the event. And I know the same thing happens in New York and California, and other places, so it would be helpful if we could get a heads up on some of these events, that we might be interested in attending."

→ 10 June: Joe provided a short and to the point report. See transcript page # 28.

→ 09 September: Main engagement activity that’s going on in the region right now sort of a pre-ICANN66 event, something to wet the appetite for the Montreal Community. IN other words, a preview for people to get ICANN on the radar as we get ready for the meeting which will happen in November. 7th of October from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. local time. See transcript page # 17 for more details.

Topic 047: Academic Credits

LEAD: Chris Mondini

LEAD COLLABORATORS: Yubelkys Montalvo (Universities) & David Morar (Students)

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

→ 8 October [Recording: 27:00] : Two schools identified. Arizona State University, Phoenix - Responded enthusiastically. Best approach to use research clusters. These  are groups of 4-5 student that choose a topic and work on it for a year under a direction of a University professor. At the end they produce a paper and present their findings. Most probably will start in fall '19. The other institutionalization is University of Colorado Boulder. Not moving forward at the moment but talks are open. Will follow-up with them in the future. programs. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 12 November [Recording: 16:55]: There has not been much progress since the last call. From transcript: "Our next step is that we’re talking with our policy development support team, and also people that run reviews, and we’re asking them if we get these students for a six-month period or a nine-month period or a 12-month period, what is the way that we could deploy them to further ICANN’s work?" . Check transcript starting in page #13 for more details.

Topic 050: Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

LEAD: David Morar, Anna Cecile Loup 

OPEN: 12 November 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

→ 12 November [Recording: 22:00]: A couple of suggestion given during this discussion. From Heidi Ullrich: " a grad student, who’s often the teacher’s assistant [to lead the classes,] so the undergrad, could then work with on the case study with these undergrads. And that might be a significant part of their grade. So just a possibility there that you can combine grad and undergrad students here". From George Kirikos: " there are independent study programs for undergraduate students as well as graduate students, so doesn’t necessarily have to be graduate students only. And also, ICANN did announce their open data initiative several months ago, so perhaps the credit could be kind of tied into that program, because that would obviously allow for various research or studies from students, either analyzing that data, or perhaps even better, creating some of that open data for other researchers". Check transcript starting in page #15 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: 39:30]: Check transcript starting in page #25 for more details.

→ 14 January  [Recording: 27:00]:  Nothing to report. Apologies provided.

→ July 15: Apologies received by David Morar. Will report next time.

→ 09 September: Reps were not present in the call. No report was received.

Topic 052: EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data 

LEAD: Alan Greensberg

OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: Policy

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on this effort


→ July 15: From transcript page 25 :: "All right. Thank you very much. On the EPDP, we are in the process right now of looking at a number of sample use cases for under what conditions would third parties get access to the confidential data. The use cases we’re looking at are selection that is being provided by a number of members. They’re not meant to be exhaustive but will hopefully give us a feel for the kinds of things we need to consider in building the general case.". More details in the transcript.

→ 09 September: No report given.

Topic 056: ATLAS III & North America School of Internet Governance (NASIG 2019)

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 14 January 2019, CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: To provide an ATLAS III and NASIG update

→ 11 February  [Recording:XX:XX]: Changed Topic title and description. Update given. Check transcript starting in page #4 for more details.

→ 08 April : [Recording:16:00]: Maureen Hilyard  was invited to provide a report on ATLAS III. Glenn provided the NASIG update starting at 24:00. 

→ 13 May: [Transcript page : 08] Current number of applications for ATLAS III is 40. John Laprise went through the training on the selection process with the group that designed the rubric. That’s on target. NASIG report not provided. 

→ 10 June: [Transcript page: 03] Glenn provided a summary update for NASIG. On ATLAS III more than 80 application are received but only 67 pass the first test. 

→ 15 July: Please refer to transcript page 9 for more details.

→ 09 September: Please refer to transcript page 1 for more details about ATLAS III and page 4 for NASIG 2019.

Topic 059: RIR Outreach

LEAD: Judith Hellerstein

OPEN: 14 January 2019, CLOSED: 

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: to provide a report on RIR outreach efforts

→ 14 January  [Recording: 38:45] Report provided. From transcript: "Many RIRs have grant programs and other community programs. ARIN is the only RIR that does not have any of those programs, so we have to think of different ways of trying to work with them. We had originally thought of an idea several years ago to do a liaison position with them, but they had turned that down then, thinking that they were afraid of favoritism. But we are going to try to reintroduce the idea again, but also trying to figure out our topic so that we can get the RIRs to know us more and us to know what they are doing." Check transcript starting in page #23 for more details.

Topic 064: FY20 NARALO Discretionary Funds

LEAD: Eduardo Diaz

OPEN: 15 July 2019, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: To report on the use of the funding for FY20 outreach and engagement activities by Regional At Large Organizations (RALOs) - $4k/RALO

  1. request form needs to be completed to initiate the process.
  2. The request needs to be reviewed and approved by Regional Leadership prior to sending to ICANN org staff* 
  3. The request must be sent to Silvia Vivanco and Heidi Ullrich at least three weeks prior to the planned activity. 
  4. Approval (or not) will be informed via email to the organization representative that made the request.

* is an additional step that have been implemented for FY20 and future years

→ 15 July: See transcript page 14 for more details.

→ 09 September: A reminder of the availability of this $$ was given to the region. See transcript page 11 for more details.

Topic 065: Real-Time Transcription (RTT)

LEAD: Judith Hellerstein

OPEN: 15 July 2019, CLOSED:

TYPE: [[Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on the results of this resource.

→ 15 July: Heidi covered this item. See transcript page 17  for more details.

Topic 068: Universal Acceptance (UA)

LEAD: Denise de Alcantara-Hochbaum

OPEN: 12 August 2019, CLOSED:

TYPE: Policy, Outreach


SUPPORTING BACKGROUND AND DOCUMENTATION:

This topic was created as an action item assigned by ALAC to all RALOS. See the following email received on 25 July 2019: 

"Dear RALO Chairs,

Further to an action item from yesterday's ALT-PLUS meeting, please see the Tracking Pages for the At-Large Universal Acceptance Pilot for your respective RALO here.

These pages are meant to facilitate the record of At-Large activity related to UA by region. Please share with your leadership team and community. John Laprise, ALAC Vice Chair has also requested you please also contact your regional UASG Ambassador regarding Universal Acceptance.

You may find the main At-Large Workspace on the UA Pilot here, with the below resources from Ajay Data of the UA Steering Group (UASG). Please share these resources with your RALO community."

See: RALO Tracking Pages for UA Pilot

Resources Shared by Ajay Data

For more details and technical documents, please visit:

Additional UASG Resources

→ 12 August: Group created: Denise (lead), Judith and Michael.

→ 09 September: Please refer to transcript page 7 for more details. Denise will coordinate a presentation for our next call

→ 21 October: Presentation given. See transcript page # XX for details. 

5. New Discussions

This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting

Topic 071:  2020 Newsletter Editor

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 21 October, CLOSED:

TYPE: [General], [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: To request volunteers to help with the NARALO newsletter for year 2020. Starting in January 2020. Main responsibility is to acquire content and send it to staff for final assembly and publishing every month.

→ 21 October:

6. Any Other Business (AOB)

This section is for any new discussions not in the agenda for this meeting.

Topic 072*: [Topic title here]

LEAD: [name]

OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

TYPE: [General], [Policy], [Education], [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: [Brief description]

*Use this format. The number shown is the next in the sequence of discussions. Update every meeting if necessary.


---0---


Supporting Material

General:

Policy:

At-Large Policy Resources

At-Large Capacity Building Workshop - An Introduction to Policy Development at ICANN
2019 ALAC Policy Comments & Advice
At-Large Policy Summary
At-Large Executive Summary page
Multistakeholder Advice Development graphic

ALAC moving topics @ June 2019 

Please join the weekly  At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) meeting.

Recently Ratified by the ALAC (since last NARALO Monthly meeting)

Next Steps to Improve the Effectiveness of ICANN’s Multistakeholder Model
The ALAC summarized its comments as follows:

I. Strengthen ICANN’s bottom-up multistakeholder decision-making process and ensure that work gets done and policies are developed in an effective and timely manner.

Issue 1: Prioritization of work. ALAC feels this must be addressed (Category A). Some suggestions include: spreading the workload, increased outreach (ATLAS III, further incentives to keep contributing volunteers, adequate knowledge and resources (specified in II) The entire community,as well as ICANN.org must contribute to the resolution of this problem.

Issue 2: Precision in scoping the work. This issue may fall into Category A - must be addressed - or Category B -- might be partially addressed in current processes. We foresee scoping that is tight and smart and relevant to the process. It is impossible to say who should be responsible when so much activity around it is unresolved.

Issue 3: Efficient use of resources. This is a category A issue which must be addressed. We recognize that it might be partially addressed by current processes but cannot assess the situation until these processes are completed. We are concerned that PDP 3.0 may offer efficiency at the cost of inclusiveness which we feel would be a backwards step in the evolution of ICANN’s MSM.

Issue 4: Roles and responsibilities and a holistic view of ICANN. This is a category A issue although it will require further processes to resolve. ALAC seeks a bottom-up review of roles and responsibilities as an independent process. 

II. Support and grow active, informed and effective stakeholder participation.

Strategies to expand the concept of participation are offered as well as various resources and support needed to ensure informed participation. We consider this to be a Category A issue -- the model cannot evolve if it is not addressed. This is a major concern for At Large and other volunteer-based constituencies and all will need to be involved in addressing it. Support from ICANN,org and the Board will be necessary.

Issue 5: Representativeness and inclusiveness. Mentorship programs are a key part of ensuring that the MSM system remains representative and inclusive. Relevant constituencies as well as staff need to make sure these programs are working as they are intended and that they are reaching the right demographics. Inclusiveness at the leadership level needs to be improved through a bottom up process with staff assistance.

III. Sustain and improve openness, inclusivity, accountability and transparency.

Issue 6: Culture, trust and silos. This is a category A issue that needs to be addressed in this process. All constituencies need to reach across their boundaries, respect for other viewpoints must be reinforced. This is a problem in many large organizations and there are professional services available to help build trust and cooperation. By engaging some of these services, ICANN.org could help constituencies build a better working environment. 

Issue 7: Complexity. This is an inherent feature of ICANN work, but where it can be alleviated, ICANN.org should take the lead. Make sure information such as the website is well organized and understandable and closely monitor the internet governance environment for issues that will impact ICANN directly.

Issue 8: Consensus. Creating conditions that would facilitate consensus is the goal of the issues already listed. Preserving the voice of end users in the decision-making processes is crucial to ICANN’s MSM model -- a Category A issue in which all parties play a role but the role of the Board will be particularly important. 

In addition, the ALAC submitted comments in response to:

Public Comment for Decision

Registration Directory Service (RDS-WHOIS2) Review Team Final Report  
Proposed IANA SLAs for ccTLD Creation and Transfer 

Current Statements (ALAC Advice, Comment or Correspondence)

Public Comment Name

Public Comment Close

Status

Penholder(s)

Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT-RT) Accepted Recommendations – Plan for Implementation and Next Steps

 

DRAFT PTI and IANA FY21 Operating Plan and Budgets

 

Additional

Education:

Outreach:

FY20 NARALO Outreach

NARALO FY19 Outreach and Engagement Strategic plan

Community Regional Outreach Program (CROP)-FY18 Home

At-Large Social Media Working Group


Universal Acceptance (UA)

 RALO Tracking Pages for UA Pilot

Resources Shared by Ajay Data

For more details and technical documents, please visit:

Additional UASG Resources