ISOC's goal is to ensure the development, evolution and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people around the world. Its main purpose is to maintain and extend the development and availability of Internet and associated technologies and applications. This is an end in itself and is also a means of enabling organizations, professionals and individuals around the world collaborate, cooperate and innovate in their respective fields and interests more effectively.
Its specific objectives include:
- Facilitate the development of open standards, protocols, management and technical infrastructure for the Internet.
- Support education, especially in developing countries and wherever there is need.
- Promote professional development and partnership opportunities with the leadership of the Internet.
- Provide reliable information about Internet.
- Provide forums for discussing issues that affect Internet evolution, development and use in the technical, commercial, social, etc.
- Cultivating an environment of cooperation and the international community and a culture that makes it possible for Internet self-governance work.
- Serve as a focal point for cooperative efforts to promote the Internet as a positive tool that benefits all people around the world.
- Provide management and coordination for strategic initiatives and outreach ventures in the humanitarian, educational, social, etc.