Item remains on the Council agenda Item is to be completed but off the Council agendaItem completed



Topic

Entry Date (E)

____________

Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member

____

Responsible Staff member

Additional Notes

EPDP Team

 

  • Keith Drazek to send an email to Goran Marby about the need to ensure EPDP Team and the Technical Study Group on Access to Non-Public Registration Data are informed of each others' work.

Updated Charter for the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance

 

  • GNSO Council to seek clarification about the level of resources expected to be allocated to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance.
  • GNSO Council Liaison to the ccNSO to coordinate with the Country Codes Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) as the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance seeks to resolve concerns identified by the ccNSO Council.
  • Council leadership to propose Council position and next steps for GNSO relationship with the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance
  • Council leadership to develop draft response to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance, providing input on the GNSO Council’s expected engagement with the group.

Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy


 


 

  • GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
  • Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
  • Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meeting
  • Call for volunteers to be delayed at least until the EPDP hits the milestone of publishing its Initial Report. Council to discuss this topic once that milestone is hit.
  • ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers (subsequent to the initiation and chartering process for the EPDP on the Temporary Specification) to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.
  • Council Leadership  to consider when to launch call for volunteers for the WHOIS Procedure Implementation Advisory Group (e.g., with publication of EPDP Final Report)

IFR team

 

  • Once the Council receives the receipt for IFR membership confirmation, Council to consider how best to coordinate co-chair selection with ccNSO, which will be responsible for selecting the ccNSO co-chair.
  • Council to consider selection process by which a GNSO appointed member of the IANA Function Review (IFR) team will be selected to serve as the GNSO co-chair on the IFR as the ICANN Bylaws stipulate that “(d) The IFRT shall be led by two co-chairs: one appointed by the GNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (c)-(f) of Section 18.7 and one appointed by the ccNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (a)-(b) of Section 18.7” once the IFR membership has been confirmed.
  • IANA Function Review (IFR) Team composition: Review of the ccNSO proposal to manage deficiencies - Councilors to take discussion on ccNSO proposal (here: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2019-January/022175.html) to their respective SG/C and to then consider what input they would like to provide.

IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms


 


  • Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting).
  • Susan Kawaguchi and Heather Forrest to prepare report on the usage of the 3.7 Appeal Process contained in the GNSO Operating Procedure that is intended to capture the process used and lessons learned.
  • ICANN staff to inform the IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG that the GNSO Council resolved that the Working Group, in line with the Council’s priority to ensure responsible allocation of resources and timely management of the PDP, the Final Report be submitted in time to meet the July 2018 GNSO Council meeting document deadline.
  • Councilors to review Final Report, especially in the broader context of the appropriate overall scope of protection for all IGO identifiers, in preparation for consideration as early as the August Council meeting.
  • ICANN staff to inform the ICANN Board and the GAC that the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Mechanisms PDP Working Group has completed its work and forward a copy of the Final Report to them
  • Councilors to review Final Report and options flowchart, then prepare a list of questions by 31 August 2018 that they have, for response by the WG leadership, WG liaison, WG members, or staff as appropriate.
  • ICANN staff to work with the GNSO Chair and Council liaison to determine possible ways to address concerns regarding some of the PDP recommendations within the scope of the PDP Manual, in light of the fact that the WG has not identified any recommendations as being interdependent.
  • Next steps for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP WG Final Report - ICANN staff to schedule webinar for questions and answers
  • Council leadership/staff to develop a summary document to capture concerns and issues with the PDP, as well as next step options available to the Council
  • Council leadership to again present Council  options for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Final Report to consider and discuss with their respective SG/Cs.
  • Council leadership and Council to continue developing proposed path forward for the Working Group’s Final Report.
  • Council Leadership to consider repurposing the extraordinary meeting on 14 February 2019 to discuss IGO/INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms if the EPDP Final Report is not yet available for discussion and review.


Review of Public Comment Drafts

 &  

  • SCBO and respective small group to complete their drafts in timely fashion. Councilors to review and provide input, if any.
  • Council to consider commenting on the Updated Operating Standards for Specific Reviews here by the GNSO Council January 2019 meeting (11 February 2019 close date): https://www.icann.org/public-comments/reviews-standards-2018-12-17-en [volunteers: Rafik Dammak, Elsa Saade, Arsene Tungali]


Active Project list

 

  • Staff to consider new graphical status to reflect paused efforts.

ICANN Reserve Fund

 

  • Council leadership to initiate discussion on mailing list
  • Keith Drazek to send note to Council list, soliciting additional comments on guidance / principles for how the reserve fund should be replenished.
  • (N/A) Depending upon feedback received, Council leadership to prepare draft letter to communicate Council concerns
  • (N/A) GNSO Secretariat to send final response to Cherine Chalaby and the ICANN Board.

CCWG Auction Proceeds

 

  • GNSO Secretariat to inform CCWG Auction Proceeds of the selection of Jonathan Frost as one of the GNSO representatives to the group.
Nathalie Peregrine

PDP 3.0


 

  • Council leadership to work with ICANN staff to work on the roll out of an Implementation Plan based on the GNSO PDP 3.0 Final Report and Recommendations, prior to the Strategic Planning Session at the latest.
  • Council leadership/staff to report on a quarterly basis on the status of implementation.
  • Staff to add PDP3.0 to the Project List
  • Councilors to review PDP 3.0 Implementation Plan and provide input to Council list, preferably in advance of the Strategic Planning Session.

Strategic Planning Session



 

  • Council members to make travel arrangements for Strategic Planning Session (notice should have been received from Constituency Travel - in case of questions, please contact gnso-secs@icann.org)
  • Council leadership and ICANN staff to work on first draft of the agenda for Council review
  • Council leadership and ICANN staff to prepare a set of resources (e.g., opening remarks from Cherine, blog posts) to facilitate preparation for SPS and provide to Council for their review.
  • Councilors to review draft Strategic Planning Session agenda and determine if they want to volunteer to help lead / contribute to any portions of the agenda.



SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
Role and responsibilities of Council leadership
  • Council to consider whether existing mechanisms provide for sufficient opportunity to conduct “emergency” consultations to allow for GNSO Chair to gather input on certain topics and/or decisions that need to be taken. 
  • Council members to provide leadership team with feedback on leadership team’s performance & actions on a regular basis. 
  • Current Council Chair (Heather Forrest) to provide report at the end of her term outlining main challenges / concerns / recommendations in fulfilling the role. 
  • Council to consider whether Council leadership should have a contract / letter of appointment that would outline role, responsibilities and expectations. 


Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures and related governance documents to facilitate participation in Empowered Community


What does Council need/want to achieve in 2018, and how to do this?
  • Donna Austin to share comments on scheduling of cross-community discussions with the GNSO Council.
  • Staff to keep project timing planning document up to date and share it with the Council prior to every ICANN meeting to facilitate review and oversight of timelines. Explore whether there is a more dynamic way in which the document can be publicly shared. 
  • Council leadership to reach out to leadership of Curative Rights and Reconvened WG on RCRC to see whether it is feasible to deliver Final Reports within 6-month timeframe.
  • Council leadership to notify ICANN Board with regards to PDPs that are expected to deliver to finalize their report shortly so that concerns or issues can be raised prior to GNSO Council consideration. 
  • Council leadership to request update from GNSO-appointed members to RDS Review Team at upcoming GNSO Council meeting.
  • Council to explore mechanisms and tools for monitoring / reviewing costs related to PDP WGs with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness
  • Council members to review framework for post-implementation reviews and provide input. Council leadership to add this to an upcoming Council meeting agenda to continue this discussion. Council to consider forming a small group of volunteers to work with staff on further developing the framework. 





TopicEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes