You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 306 Next »


Entry Date (E)


Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member


Responsible Staff member

Additional Notes

Timing of ICANN bylaw mandated reviews



  • Council to await paper from Goran Marby and team to then consider next steps. 
Marika Konings

PDP 3.0



  • Staff to consolidate input and comments into a Google document.
  • Staff to propose next steps (e.g., identify goal for ICANN62 and plan backwards).
  • Council to consider whether to form a small team to help in addressing the action item directly above.

GNSO Review of GAC Communique



  • Staff to circulate template to volunteers following publication of GAC Communique
  • Council volunteers (Julf Helsingius, Rafik Dammak, Darcy Southwell, Michele Neylon, Tatiana Tropina, Ayden Férdeline, and Paul McGrady) to provide a draft response for Council consideration.

SubPro/RPM Consolidated timeline



  • Council liaisons to the respective PDP WGs to review Sunday Working Session and extract notes and action items.
  • Council liaisons to the respective PDP WGs to work with PDP WG leadership to expand timeline to include potential implementation steps/scenarios.

Board request regarding emojis



  • Council Leadership to send response to the Board to acknowledge receipt of request.
  • Staff to summarize Board resolution and SSAC Advice for small team of Councilors to consider.
  • Small team of Councilors (Michele Neylon, Martin Silva Valent, Tatiana Tropina and Philippe Fouquart as the GNSO liaison to the ccNSO) to liaise with the SSAC, as well as ccNSO, in responding to Board resolution.

ICANN62 Meeting Planning



  • Council Leadership (Heather Forrest and Rafik Dammak) to attend ICANN62 planning meeting, communicate concerns raised by Council, and report back to the Council.
  • Council to develop plan for conducting outreach at ICANN meetings, especially for the Policy Forum. 

CSC and IFR Review



  • Donna Austin and Philippe Fouquart to lead small team to suggest ways to avoid overlap between reviews; coordinate with the ccNSO in doing so.

Review of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP)



  • GNSO Council to consider next steps, timing and provide guidance to ICANN Org on if, how, and when the review of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) should take place, factoring in ongoing discussion on the post-implementation policy review framework as well as the transfer issue that is being considered by the Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Implementation Review Team.

Draft FY19 ICANN Operating Plan and Budget



  • Standing Committee on Budget and Operations (SCBO) to help facilitate the collection and channelling of any Council questions or comments for ICANN Finance related to the FY19 Budget and Operating Plan by inviting input on the Council email list.
  • SCBO to develop possible Council input concerning Reserve Fund replenishment strategy public comment forum, if there are no objections to the SCBO undertaking this task. (Note, deadline for comments is 25 April 2018)
  • SCBO Chair to request support / objections from Council to the SCBO developing possible Council input concerning Reserve Fund replenishment strategy.

Updated Charter for the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance



  • GNSO Council to seek clarification about the level of resources expected to be allocated to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance.
  • GNSO Council Liaison to the ccNSO to coordinate with the Country Codes Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) as the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance seeks to resolve concerns identified by the ccNSO Council.
  • GNSO Council to determine if it will serve as a Chartering Organization, if the Cross Community Engagement Group mechanism supports Chartering Organizations.

Assignment of Council Liaisons



  • ICANN Staff to post updated description of Council liaisons to the GNSO Procedures web page.
  • ICANN Staff to update Projects List to account for any new Council liaisons.
  • ICANN Staff to circulate call for volunteers for any liaison roles where the existing liaison wishes to step down (i.e., ccNSO, New gTLD Subsequent Procedures).
  • Staff to update project list to note that Keith Drazek and Donna Austin will serve jointly as the Council liaisons to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG.
  • Staff to communicate new liaisons to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG.

GNSO Council’s input to the consultation on the Fellowship Program



  • Small Group of Councilors to consider input received during the 14 March 2018 Council meeting, circulate the updated version for Council feedback, and, if no objections are received, submit comments by the 30 March 2018 deadline.

Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy




  • GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
  • Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
  • Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meetingI
  • ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers on or after 1 June 2018 to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.

Discussion of the Draft Post-Implementation Review Framework



  • ICANN Staff to further develop the draft policy post-implementation review framework, including the development of a detailed process flow document.

GNSO members for the ICANN Accountability and Transparency (ATRT3) Review Team



  • GNSO Secretariat to communicate resolved #1 (“The GNSO Council nominates, ranked in order: Brian Cute (RySG), Wolfgang Kleinwächter (NCSG), Stéphane Van Gelder (RySG) as its primary three candidates for the ATRT3. Furthermore, the GNSO nominates, in ranked order: Tatiana Tropina (NCSG), Michael Karanicolas (NCSG), Adetola Sogbesan (BC), Erica Varlese (RySG) to be considered for inclusion in the ATRT3 by the SO-AC Chairs should additional places be available that need to be filled.”) to the staff supporting the ATRT3.
  • GNSO Secretariat to inform the endorsed candidates that the GNSO Council expects that if selected for the ATRT3, the applicant will represent the views of the entire GNSO community in their work on the ATRT3, and provide regular feedback as a group on the discussions taking place in the ATRT3, as well as the positions being taken by GNSO Review Team members. (to be completed after meeting with other SO/ACs to determine final Review Team membership)
  • Staff supporting the ATRT3 and application process to send a response to those applicants who did not receive endorsement for this Review Team, thanking them for their interest and note their importance in the event an alternate is needed in the future. The response should encourage them to follow the ATRT3 work, participate in Public Comments and community discussions, and to apply for future opportunities within the GNSO Community as they arise. (to be completed after meeting with other SO/ACs to determine final Review Team membership)
  • ICANN Staff to post GNSO Council Leadership letter to GNSO nominated ATRT3 members on the GNSO Correspondence page.

Revised GNSO Operating Procedures and ICANN Bylaws



  • Staff to put forth recommendation on how Council can better consider topic and determine next steps (e.g., webinar, review red-line of GNSO Operating Procedures/ICANN Bylaws, etc.)
  • Council to consider next steps and provide feedback on what further is needed for the discussion planned during the Council Strategic Planning Session in January 2018.
  • ICANN Staff to post the new version of the GNSO Operating Procedures on the GNSO website, effective immediately.
  • ICANN Staff to inform the ICANN Board of Directors that the GNSO Council recommends adoption of the proposed changes to section 11.3.i of the ICANN Bylaws to reflect new GNSO voting thresholds, which are different from the current threshold of a simple majority vote of each House (see

Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
What is the GNSO Council and what does it do?
  • Council leadership to consider adding references to relevant ICANN Bylaw sections for agenda items on the GNSO Council agenda, following the example of the ICANN Board. 
  • Council to discuss with the ICANN Board on Day 3 what can be done to facilitate understanding and communication between the GNSO Council and the ICANN Board – may require more than 1 hour at every ICANN meeting. 

Role and responsibilities of Council leadership
  • Council to consider whether existing mechanisms provide for sufficient opportunity to conduct “emergency” consultations to allow for GNSO Chair to gather input on certain topics and/or decisions that need to be taken. 
  • Council members to provide leadership team with feedback on leadership team’s performance & actions on a regular basis. 
  • Current Council Chair (Heather Forrest) to provide report at the end of her term outlining main challenges / concerns / recommendations in fulfilling the role. 
  • Council to consider whether Council leadership should have a contract / letter of appointment that would outline role, responsibilities and expectations. 

Role of Council liaisons
  • Staff to update liaison document based on input provided and circulate it to the Council for further review and discussion.
  • Council to reconfirm liaisons to PDP WG, IRTs and other projects once agreement has been achieved on the role and responsibilities of liaisons.

Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures and related governance documents to facilitate participation in Empowered Community

How to manage Council’s 2018 workload: strategies to increase effectiveness
  • Council leadership to develop clear timeline for action items listed hereunder as well as who will be responsible for delivering on these.
  • Engage with PDP leadership teams at ICANN61 during GNSO weekend sessions to discuss state of work, identify challenges and possible paths forward. Council leadership team to review ICANN61 schedule and carve out time for this discussion. 
  • Develop a white paper on incremental changes to the PDP that outlines these discussions as well as main findings of staff discussion paper to engage the broader community in this conversation. 

What does Council need/want to achieve in 2018, and how to do this?
  • Donna Austin to share comments on scheduling of cross-community discussions with the GNSO Council.
  • Staff to keep project timing planning document up to date and share it with the Council prior to every ICANN meeting to facilitate review and oversight of timelines. Explore whether there is a more dynamic way in which the document can be publicly shared. 
  • Council leadership to reach out to leadership of Curative Rights and Reconvened WG on RCRC to see whether it is feasible to deliver Final Reports within 6-month timeframe.
  • Council leadership to notify ICANN Board with regards to PDPs that are expected to deliver to finalize their report shortly so that concerns or issues can be raised prior to GNSO Council consideration. 
  • Council leadership to request update from GNSO-appointed members to RDS Review Team at upcoming GNSO Council meeting.
  • Council to explore mechanisms and tools for monitoring / reviewing costs related to PDP WGs with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness
  • Council members to review framework for post-implementation reviews and provide input. Council leadership to add this to an upcoming Council meeting agenda to continue this discussion. Council to consider forming a small group of volunteers to work with staff on further developing the framework. 

Other Council Related Action Items

TopicEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms in all gTLDs data request


  • PDP WG Co-Chairs to work with SubPro WG Co-Chairs to provide the GNSO Council with a consolidated timeline by ICANN61. The timeline should include milestones and dependencies, both between the two PDPs, but also external (e.g., CCT-RT).

  • No labels
For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers