Meeting Number: AL.ALAC/CC.ALCB/0917/01

Date: Wednesday, 06 September 2017

Time:  13:00 to 14:30 UTC (90 minutes) - For the time in various timezones click here

Adobe Connect: https://participate.icann.org/alcb2017/

Interpretation Available: ES and FR

How can I participate in this meeting?

Conference ID: 1638 (EN) 1738 (ES) 1838 (FR)

Speakers: Cheryl Langdon-Orr & Alice Munyua

Participants: 

EN: Tijani Ben Jemaa, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Sarah Kiden, Renata Aquino, Barrack Otieno, Peters Omoragbon, Daniel Nanghaka, Alfredo Calderon, Ai AlMeshal, Justine Chew, Alan Greenberg, Nadira AlAraj, Aziz Hilali, Glenn McKnight, Baudouin Schombe, Yrjö Lansipuro, Yasuichi KitamuraWinthrop Yu, William Cunningham, Ricardo Holmquist, Maureen Hilyard, Prateek Pathak, Jahangir Hossain, Lianna Galtsyan, Seun Ojedeji, Danko Jevtovic, Dina Solveig Jalkanen, Bakary Kouyate, Avri Doria, Laura Margolis, Krishna Seeburn, Hempal Shrestha, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Patricia Akello

ES: Maritza Aguero, Aida Noblia, Alberto Soto

FR: Gabriel Bombambo, Gabdibé Gab-Hongonne, Aïcha Abbad, Zakaria Issa, Aïcha Abbad, Michel Tchonang, Nikenley Severe

Apologies:  Kaili Kan, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Pua Hunter

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Gabriella Schittek, Yeşim Nazlar

Interpreters
ES: Veronica & Marina
FR: Claire & Jacques

Call Management: Yeşim Nazlar

Recording: ENFRES 

Transcript:  ENFRES

Adobe Connect Chat:  EN 

Adobe Connect Recording: EN

Speakers: Cheryl Langdon-Orr & Alice Munyua

Agenda:

1. Welcome and Introduction to the Webinar - Tijani Ben Jemaa, Chair of the Capacity Building Working Group (2 minutes)
  2. Housekeeping Items - staff (2 minutes)
  3. Presentation - Cheryl Langdon-Orr & Alice Munyua (60 minutes)
  4. Pop Quiz - staff (3 minutes)
  5. Question & Answers - All (20 minutes)
  6. Evaluation - All (3 minutes)

Presentation: How Diversity is Addressed within ICANN

• No labels

7 Comments

1. I am volunteer for this webinar

2. Also I will provide a recap and listing of the comments and suggestions I made on this topic at the New Orleans ARIN meeting and at earlier ICANN seminars and meetings. 

3. In reference to my comments about the lack of proper focus, see:  https://hbr.org/2017/09/colorblind-diversity-efforts-dont-work

"As organizations struggle with stalled diversity efforts, some are considering moving toward a “colorblind” approach: deemphasizing initiatives focused on specific demographic groups in favor of more general inclusion efforts. For some, this approach seems like an appealing strategy for engaging majority group members and company leaders, while reducing the tensions that can arise when efforts are focused explicitly on identities like race and gender. Some studies have shown, for example, that even though many companies’ existing diversity efforts aren’t helping more women or people of color to get ahead, they still make white men think they aren’t being treated fairly. But colorblindness is not the answer to this problem. It will almost certainly backfire, ultimately undermining the very inclusion efforts it’s designed to improve." Harvard Business Review.

Based on my 30 years of experience, not only do I agree, but ICANN's efforts are a direct confirmation of this. 

1. William, the diversity recommendations being developed have been the subject of discussion for the last 13 months. Not being part of that group, I have no idea to what extent the issues you raise have been discussed.

Since you are not listed as one of the group participants (https://community.icann.org/display/WEIA/Diversity), I presume that you have not made you thoughts known to them.

There will be a Public Comment issued shortly. I would strongly suggest that you consider submitting a comment.

I don't know to what extent the paper you are citing here focuses on world-wide groups rather then US-centric ones, but my suggestion is to use references which clearly consider the very wide range of environments that ICANN finds itself in.

1. Of course, one could take a look at the paper to see, but I will save you that work by noting it's global focus. Part of the clear issue with ICANN is it's reflex reaction/mantra that those people and findings that do not account for the "special, unique" characteristics of the organization have no value. This is, of course, incorrect. 

I encourage you to recall the many comments on diversity I have made over the years. I posted some links above and certainly was not part of this group, since it appears to be a select insider club not fully representative of the broader set of internet users. My experience is that it is hard to get a recognized word in edgewise with this group. My experience at the ICANN/ARIN meeting in New Orleans where, as I pointed out in real time,  many of the suggestions I made were attributed to others confirms this. I'd note, finally, that this is a common occurrence in organizations that are monocultural.