Sub-group Members:  Amal Al-Saqqaf, Andreea Brambilla, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Fiona Asonga, Herb Waye, Jorge Cancio, Julia Charvolen, Julie Hammer, Lito Ibarra, Lousewies van der Laan, Marie Noemie Marques, Olga Cavalli, Dalila Rahmouni, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Sebastien Bachollet   (15)


Staff Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Megan Healy

Apologies:  Rafik Dammak, Avri Doria

Interpretation Stats:  

  • ES:  1
  • FR:  2

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1. Roll call

2. Review of action items

3. Discussion on draft report

4. A.O.B

Raw Captioning Notes

Please note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call

Action items:

  • Staff – make arrangements to cancel 25 May call
  • Staff – send reminder to SOACs about responding to Diversity questionnaire
  • Staff – Create a space on the wiki for questionnaire responses and post the responses there as they arrive


  • 25 May call cancelled as neither Fiona or Rafik can chair


  • Sub-Group – provide comments on draft document.

Documents Presented:

Chat Transcript:

 Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to Diversity Subgroup Meeting #22 on 18 May 2017 @ 13:00 UTC!

  Brenda Brewer:If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  To unmute press *7.  This call is recorded.

  Brenda Brewer:Reminder to all, please state your name before speaking for the Interpreters and Captioner.

  Herb Waye Ombuds:Greetings all, bonjour and buenos dias.

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:Hello !

  Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland):Buenas tardes, bonjour, hello :-)

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello

  FIONA ASONGA:I cant hear you Brenda

  FIONA ASONGA:I cant hear anything from your end

  Lito Ibarra:Hola, hello

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Hi everyone

  Sebastien (ALAC):Hello It is Sebastien I am participating to the AFNIC forum, will try to follow but not able to speak

  FIONA ASONGA:1. Roll call 2. Review of action items3. Discussion on draft report4. A.O.B

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:what is the last report url please?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Only going to be here in the AC am as I am still in anonother ICANN call

  Brenda Brewer:Thank you, Cheryl.

  FIONA ASONGA:brenda can you put up the document

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I agree w/ Marie on an item on the relevance of diversity and self-identifying as part of a group which needs diversity discussions

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:about specific objectives perhaps they will come from the answers to the questionnaire?

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:can we have the url of the doc?

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Marie: suggest an extra item - relevance and identification

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:found the url

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Link -

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:can you hear me?

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:thanks bernard

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:no

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:No sound from Dalila

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:I am also by phone

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:je vous entends

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:et vous?

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:I hear you

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:and you?

  FIONA ASONGA:We cant hear you


  RAHMOUNI Dalila:I will writ on the chat

  Marie Noemie Marques:Renata, right, relevance and identification

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:for the proposition of Marie-Noéemie, we can find some usefull information of the AFNIC report concerning diversity

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:Indeed, the report underlines that the diversity has direct link with the legitimacy and efficiency of ICANN

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:9. Self-identification as group - Upon self-declaration in the data collection process, a conformation of groups or self-identified minorities, disadvantaged populations or stigmatized groups can be described and pathways to foster inclusion can be drawn upon this identification for recommentations to act on a process to ensure diversity as a long term process.Again, this is quite new and I'm hoping to address very recent situations like the inclusion of native American/ indigenous activists,

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:I think now you can hear me

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i agree w/ the suggested wording by Corinne there

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Julie not hearing you

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:it is not about choosing elements but seeing the relevance of them all, an so/ac may find challenging an specific element but should have them all in account

  Julie Hammer (SSAC):Sorry, audio does not seem to be working.

  FIONA ASONGA:Dalila Please speak

  Julie Hammer (SSAC):I was just going to agree with your interpretation, Fiona.

  Julie Hammer (SSAC):Yes.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):this group 'autonomy in action' as described in Rec 4 is clear to me,  and is of course an essential matter, as our groups within ICANN are so diverse in their purpose

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):As ever I believe the key to  Diversity Matters approach in an organisation or entity is a focus on inclusiveness

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:no audio?

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:finished tks

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:self-identification i propose as an item 9

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:a section

  Andreea Brambilla:+1 Cheryl. Believe diversity and inclusiveness go hand in hand.

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:voy a poner en el documento

  Lousewies:When we have an inclusive culture , it will lead to more diversity

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:time check - 15 minutes left in call

  Andreea Brambilla:Thank you, Fiona.

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Next call would then be June 1?

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:1300 UTC

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tks bernard

  Lousewies:thanks all

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:thanks bye

  Andreea Brambilla:Are we still aiming to have 1st reading of report on June 1 call?

  Amal Al-Saqqaf:thanks, bye

  Herb Waye Ombuds:Thank... this is how cultural change starts

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

  Lito Ibarra:Thank you

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:thank you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye

  Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland):thanks and bye all!


  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we hear you Julie

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:We have it

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Will get a place on the Wiki and advise the group

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:good

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:will do

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye for now then...

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:gracias a interpretacion

  FIONA ASONGA:bye all



  • No labels