14 participants at beginning of call

Sub-group Members:   Andreea Brambilla, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Christopher Wilkinson, David McAuley, Erich Schweighofer, Greg Shatan, Herb Waye, Jeff Neuman, Kavouss Arasteh, Philip Corwin, Tatiana Tropina, Wale Bakare   (13)

Observers/Guests:  /

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, Meghan Healy, Nigel Hickson   (5)

Apologies: Finn Petersen


 ** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1.    Welcome

2.    Review of Agenda (2 minutes)

3.    Administration (1 minute)

       3.1. Changes to SOIs

       3.2. Identify Audio Only and Phone Number Participants

4.    Review of decisions and action items from last call (5 minutes)

       4.1. Decisions:

       4.1.1.   Accept late Taiwan submission

       4.2. Action Items:

       4.2.1.   GS – to circulate a doodle poll to schedule a call of the questionnaire evaluation group. (TO BE DISCUSSED IN ITEM 5)

       4.2.2.   GS – to circulate form for Litigation analysis to list (DONE)

       4.2.3.   GS – To complete analysis of his two cases. (IN PROCESS)

       4.2.4.   GS – Will complete the question on choice of law and send to the legal committee. (DONE)

5.    Questionnaire (20 minutes)

       5.1. Decision on Chinese submission which did not respond in the official format.

       5.2. Status on Translations – All completed

       5.3. Discussion of approach to analyzing responses.

6.    Review of ICANN Litigation (15 Minutes)

       6.1. Update

7.    Revised Draft Work Plan

8.    AOB

9.    Next meeting Tuesday 9 May 1900 UTC

10. Adjourned

Raw Captioning Notes

  • Word Doc    (Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call)
  • PDF      (Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call)


  • Evaluation of questionnaire – change of approach given the number of responses and the fact that many of these are very short – Members of the evaluation team will be requested to analyze those answers which are not one word responses and be prepared to present them to the sub-group for consideration.

Action Items:

  • Staff – distribute questionnaire evaluation tool in current state to list and post on questionnaire wiki. Update with translations after posting.


  • Request the sub-group complete the review of past litigation in the coming two weeks.

Documents Presented


Chat Transcript

  Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting #29 on 2 May 2017 @ 13:00 UTC!

  Brenda Brewer: If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  To unmute press *6.  Thank you.

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello all

  Greg Shatan:Hello, all.

  Herb Waye Ombuds:Hello, bonjour et buenos dias all...

  David McAuley (RySG):I am 4154

  Greg Shatan:You don't look a day over 3925.

  David McAuley (RySG):hello all

  David McAuley (RySG):thanks Greg - feeling every bit of it

  Brenda Brewer:Thank you, David.

  Tatiana Tropina:Hi all

  Wale Bakare:Hi all

  Brenda Brewer:Phone line ending with 5316, please identify your name for attendance purposes.  Thank you!

  David McAuley (RySG):While I understand Christopher's concern, A review of litigation makes sense to me to see if jurisdiction was a contested issue in any case and, if so, how it was handled. Whether we could do it more efficiently is relevant but the idea of review makes sense to me.

  Philip Corwin:I am 5316

  Brenda Brewer:Thank you, Philip!

  Christopher Wilkinson (CW):Thankyou Greg. I shall try and join the call again for AOB.

  Philip Corwin:IMHO, while it may be possible to proceed more efficiently and expeditiously, a review of prior litigation relevant to jurisdiction is a necessary foundation to our work, and terminating this subgroup prematurely due to budgeting would be unwise - especially as it would leave the jurisdiction matter unresolved with requisite finality.

  David McAuley (RySG):I agree it is there but just haven't read it yet

  avri doria:unless we said no submission in the wrong format would be ignore, we should consider

  avri doria:said that badly.  if we did not warn we should accept

  David McAuley (RySG):Sounds digestible - probably not worth having staff re-cast it.

  David McAuley (RySG):But nice offer

  Brenda Brewer:Questionnaire page is here:

  Tatiana Tropina:as we do with court cases?

  David McAuley (RySG):sort of, yes

  Tatiana Tropina:Sounds reasonable

  David McAuley (RySG):if we do that we should spread the remarks as evenly as possible in small group - so one long remark may be all that a leader ends up handling

  Tatiana Tropina:This is very hard to predict anyway - sometimes a very small thing can result in 1 hour discussion

  David McAuley (RySG):good point Tatiana

  Tatiana Tropina::-)

  Tatiana Tropina:we can distribute substantial answers evenly

  Tatiana Tropina:Agree agree - two lists

  David McAuley (RySG):Great idea Bernie, thanks

  Wale Bakare:+1 Bernard

  Tatiana Tropina:Thanks Bernie

  David McAuley (RySG):a good lawyer, howver, might turn a one word response into a 100-page brief

  David McAuley (RySG):I say that as a lawyer

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:We will post a list of the non-one word answer responses

  David McAuley (RySG):I still have one case to report on but have not done it yet

  Tatiana Tropina:sorry I will sign up - had no bandwith recently but should have more now

  David McAuley (RySG):Agreed Greg, I will have at least one case to report on for next meeting

  Tatiana Tropina:too early - I need to *actually* do this (I will)

  David McAuley (RySG):None here

  David McAuley (RySG):Thanks Greg, staff, and all - good bye

  Philip Corwin 2:Bye all

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye

  Tatiana Tropina:thank you Greg! Bye

  Wale Bakare:Thanks, bye all

  Nigel Hickson:goodbye

  • No labels