Yesim Nazlar: (3/14/2017 13:48) Hello, my name is Yeşim Nazlar and I will be monitoring this chat room. In this role, I am the voice for the remote participants, ensuring that they are heard equally with those who are “in-room” participants. When submitting a question that you want me to read out loud on the mic, please provide your name and affiliation if you have one, start your sentence with <QUESTION> and end it with <QUESTION>. When submitting a comment that you want me to read out loud of the mic, once again provide your name and affiliation if you have one then start your sentence with a <COMMENT> and end it with <COMMENT>.  Text outside these quotes will be considered as part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the mic. Any questions or comments provided outside of the session time will not be read aloud. Please note that audio is may be available in French and Spanish. All chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.icann.org_en_news_in-2Dfocus_accountability_expect&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=kI7sWbB04QM6KCdiBR7seTCy1SVA76x40j56Bsgyabg&s=uy1CwurFAf5QHMOTLVmaWt-sGQMkoAtLZtcXVirSfiU&e=

Andrew Sullivan: (14:04) This is just some background, but remember that the early network was _quite unreliable_, so you needed the phone numbers of other operators to be able to reach them

Andrew Sullivan: (14:05) I don't see where in RFC 812 it talks about responsibility and so on.  

Andrew Sullivan: (14:06) there was a "request" from DoD that users so identify themselves

Andrew Sullivan: (14:06) where "request" was I've been led to believe a polite word for "or else"

Andrew Sullivan: (14:11) It's worth noting, though, that the reason that the data is all public is a technical flaw in whois as a protocol

Andrew Sullivan: (14:11) it wasn't designed for access controls and they can't be grafted on.  So it's an all or nothing decision, and I suspect the policy has defaulted to "all" mostly because _someone_ wanted access

Andrew Sullivan: (14:12) just because someone wants access doesn't mean everyone should have it

Arshad Mohammed: (14:18) When we speak of RDS, are we talking about discontinuing WHOIS via Port 43?

Andrew Sullivan: (14:18) The RDS PDP isn't talking only about the RDDS, because it's making rules about what's collected as well as what's in the directory

Andrew Sullivan: (14:19) I strongly believe that whois on port 43 should go away

Andrew Sullivan: (14:19) it's broken

Andrew Sullivan: (14:21) For those intereted in the history, WEIRDS and the resulting RDAP was not the first try by the IETF to fix this.

Andrew Sullivan: (14:23) We've produced many alternative protocols, including whois++, rwhois, and IRIS (which came from the CRISP working group).  Mostly they failed.

Yesim Nazlar: (15:07) Thank you for your participation. The meeting is now adjourned.

• No labels