Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:   Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Adebunmi Akinbo, Agustina Callegari, Alice Munyua, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Dalila Rahmouni, Fiona Asonga, Herb Waye, Lito Ibarra, Lousewies van der Laan, Olga Cavalli, Pam Little, Rachel Pollack, Rafik Dammak, Renata Aquino, Sebastien Bachollet, Seun Ojedeji   (17)

Observers & Guests:  Amal Al-saqqaf, Julie Hammer   (2)

Staff:   Brenda Brewer, Elizabeth Andrews, Laena Rahim, Lars Hoffmann, Nathalie Vergnolle   (4)

Apologies:  Finn Petersen

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1. Roll Call

2. Review of Actions items

3. Review of Draft questionnaire

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13UBH5JXmOvxA6H6Kg6W6o0GNDjfYRs3FwQULKScgSmw/edit  

4. Discussion Topics - strawman document   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XpXaGckf9IIYGgPKdMhBgKe8gzwruuCHgvXiz-DwOOM/edit 

5. AOB 

- At-Large Captioning Pilot Project

Notes

1. Roll Call

Audio only: Akinbo

2. Review of Actions items

- we will invite staff to the next call, next week (Ergys from DPRD, Chris Gift)

- we have a team of volunteers for the drafting of the questionnaire

3. Review of Draft questionnaire – https://docs.google.com/document/d/13UBH5JXmOvxA6H6Kg6W6o0GNDjfYRs3FwQULKScgSmw/edit  

- We previously discussed reducing the number of questions.

- The drafting team needs to work on the document.

- No comments from the group.

4. Discussion Topics - strawman document   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XpXaGckf9IIYGgPKdMhBgKe8gzwruuCHgvXiz-DwOOM/edit 

Rachel Pollack: The new bylaw provision mentioned cultural diversity on the Internet. It might be helpful to recall the definition of cultural diversity in the 2005 UNESCO 
convention on diversity of cultural expressions

http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=31038&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html[portal.unesco.org]

French version:  http://portal.unesco.org/fr/ev.php-URL_ID=31038&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html[portal.unesco.org] :)

Article 4 – Definitions For the purposes of this Convention, it is understood that: 1. Cultural diversity “Cultural diversity” refers to the manifold ways in which the cultures of groups and societies find expression. These expressions are passed on within 
and among groups and societies. Cultural diversity is made manifest not only through the varied ways in which the cultural heritage of humanity is expressed, augmented 
and transmitted through the variety of cultural expressions, but also through diverse modes of artistic creation, production, dissemination, distribution and enjoyment, whatever 
the means and technologies used. 

- Agreement that element of culture should be added.

- Suggestion to continue to translate ICANN documents in several languages, in order to allow non-English speakers to get involved in the community.

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: also i have another comment about diversity don't forget Youth involvement and engagement in ICANN is a key and important Please dont forget that diversity is not only (langage diversity,gender diversity,geographical diversity but also Youth diversity)...

- Rachel Pollack: @Abdeljalil - the strawman currently refers to diversity of age. Perhaps we could add something like "and particularly youth"

RAHMOUNI Dalila: Proposal to create an office of diversity within ICANN, to collect data and make proposals to improve diversity. A paper with this proposal was shared in Helsinki, and shall be distributed again to the group, as we have several new members in the group.

ACTION (Dalila Rahmouni): distribute the paper to the mailing list

The office would be a tool for the group to complete its work. 

- Steps taken by the subgroup:

1. agree on elements of diveristy

2. look up how diversity is implemented in SO/ACs, through the questionnaire for SO/ACs

3. look into what structures should be put in place 

4. assemble recommendations

- Alice Munyua: working on a workgroup for the GAC on diversity, that should feed well into this subgroup's discussions. Also looking into defining regional diversity.

- renata aquino: i support looking at regions

- Rafik: hopes we can liaise with the GAC.

- Alice: we are preparing a questionnaire, that we'll share with this group for feedback.

- Amal Al-saqqaf: I think this will be clearer after GAC responds to the questionaire delivered by this subgroup

- Akinbo:  Regional should take into consideration indigents. Office of Diversity can address this issues with careful study over the years and recommend adoptions and solutions.

- Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Comment: I think it is important that elements pointed out by the GAC group have been discussed here too. This shows the discussion 
can not be dismissed quickly between regional diversity and official geographic boundaries and this is the most important area of the GAC.

5. AOB 

- At-Large Captioning Pilot Project

Will do a test during the call of Jan 13th. There will be translated captioning.

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: Dear All,  We are excited to announce that Phase 2 of the Captioning pilot will start up again in January. Please 
pass this email to others who I have missed.  If you would like to have a teleconference captioned during this second phase of the pilot please 
submit your request to At-Large Staff by January 1 or as soon as possible  As agreed to in part 1 of the pilot, the 
implementation of this project will be structured as follows:  Three calls to include captioning each month for a total 
of 6 teleconferences, not exceeding 60 minutes per call (with the exception of the ALAC Monthly Meeting) The calls shall be held between January – February 2017.
Most calls will be captioned in English, with the exception of 1 in French and 1 in Spanish to be held in February Priority will be given to those groups who did 
not make it into the first phase. These include cross community groups such as the CCWG-Accountability and the CCWG-IG and other CCWGs 
To select the calls the captioning team has developed a set of criteria

See further details about the captioning project on the Wiki: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Captioning+Pilot+Project+II[community.icann.org]   

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: i suggest also for the next call we could have a dial out in french channel IT IS very important 

Documents Presented

Action Items

ACTION (Dalila Rahmouni): distribute the paper to the mailing list

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux: (1/5/2017 00:33) Welcome all to the Diversity Subgroup Meeting #8  - Thursday, 5 January @ 13:00 UTC!

Yvette Guigneaux: (00:34) Please kindly mute your phones if you are not speaking - *6  (star 6) to unmute your phone

Rafik: (06:57) hello everyone

RAHMOUNI Dalila: (06:58) hello

Lito Ibarra: (06:59) Hello

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (06:59) Bonsoir à tous and hi to all

Alice Munyua: (07:00) Hello everyone.

Alice Munyua: (07:00) Best wishes for 2017

Rachel Pollack: (07:01) Happy New Year, everyone!

Amal Al-saqqaf: (07:02) Happy New Year!

Olga Cavalli: (07:03) Happy new year to all!!

Alice Munyua: (07:08) Pua

Pam Little: (07:10) Re Commented [1] - the answer is yes.

Pam Little: (07:11) I drafted the original wording so I am resonding to teh comment.

Pam Little: (07:11) responding.

Lousewies van der Laan: (07:13) can't talk, just listen.

Rachel Pollack: (07:16) Hi, everyone. A somewhat general comment. The new bylaw provision mentioned cultural diversity on the Internet

Rachel Pollack: (07:16) it might be helpful to recall the definition of cultural diversity in the 2005 UNESCO convention on diversity of cultural expressions

Rachel Pollack: (07:16) https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__portal.unesco.org_en_ev.php-2DURL-5FID-3D31038-26URL-5FDO-3DDO-5FTOPIC-26URL-5FSECTION-3D201.html&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=PsRsxAf9geskYF-hiO1w9-VjS1OSCX_sK90_IYLotSg&s=vJ4tnBIq4TS2Sb8BhhriX4PnZZ9tviPzN_ux9Qtc4LM&e=

Rachel Pollack: (07:17) Article 4 – Definitions For the purposes of this Convention, it is understood that: 1. Cultural diversity “Cultural diversity” refers to the manifold ways in which the cultures of groups and societies find expression. These expressions are passed on within and among groups and societies. Cultural diversity is made manifest not only through the varied ways in which the cultural heritage of humanity is expressed, augmented and transmitted through the variety of cultural expressions, but also through diverse modes of artistic creation, production, dissemination, distribution and enjoyment, whatever the means and technologies used.

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:19) for me i have only a few comment about diversity :pour moi la diversité est importante et obligatoire pour l'implication e la communauté dans le developpment de ICANN exemple pour moi venant d'un pays francophones parfois il est difficile de faire impliquer la communauté locale puisse que la minorité de documentation est en anglais donc si nous voulons plus d'implication de la communauté non anglophone je suggère de continuer la politique de traduire les documents dans d'autres langues

Rachel Pollack: (07:21) une version francaise de la convention 2005: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__portal.unesco.org_fr_ev.php-2DURL-5FID-3D31038-26URL-5FDO-3DDO-5FTOPIC-26URL-5FSECTION-3D201.html&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=PsRsxAf9geskYF-hiO1w9-VjS1OSCX_sK90_IYLotSg&s=3_hXyNYjDpv5oIdgNJcgRVVLtKupF75A2wlfsS48xwY&e=  :)

Rafik: (07:21) @Abdeldjalil c'est note

Rafik: (07:21) note'

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:23) Merci bcp  Rachel pour le lien ,Thanks

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:23) Merci Rafik Thanks

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:26) also i have another comment about diversity don't forget Youth involvement and engagement in ICANN is a key and important Please dont forget that diversity is not only (langage diversity,gender diversity,geographical diversity but also Youth diversity)...

Rachel Pollack: (07:28) @Abdeljalil - the strawman currently refers to diversity of age. Perhaps we could add something like "and particularly youth"

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:28) Ok Rachel noted

Rachel Pollack: (07:31) thank you! that will be helpful

renata aquino: (07:40) hl

renata aquino: (07:41) hello.

renata aquino: (07:41) hello sorry for joining late

Seun Ojedeji: (07:43) welcome Renata

renata aquino: (07:46) i support looking at regions

Amal Al-saqqaf: (07:49) I think this will be clearer after GAC responds to the questionaire delivered by this subgroup

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:50) yes i agree with amal we can sent the same question to GAC

FIONA ASONGA 2: (07:52) Retena

FIONA ASONGA 2: (07:52) We cant hear you

FIONA ASONGA 2: (07:52) the line is noisy

Rachel Pollack: (07:52) please type instead

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:52) noise

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:52) ok now

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:52) sorry fiona were you calling me?

Brenda Brewer: (07:52) You can be heard Akinbo.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:53) ok I can unmute now and talk

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:53) if it is the time

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:53) I can hear akinbo

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:53) I will wait to be called later

Rafik: (07:53) I cannot hear well

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:54) there is a lot of noise now

Seun Ojedeji: (07:54) Akinbo could type the comment here

Rafik: (07:54) @Akinbo can you write your comment  in the Ac chat instead?

FIONA ASONGA 2: (07:54) I have lost you Akinbo

Seun Ojedeji: (07:54) if he is online or he could send to the list

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:54) I think folks could try and unmute the mic so we reduce the noise

Seun Ojedeji: (07:55) @Renata you mean "mute" :)

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:55) sorry yes

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:56) Comment: I think it is important that elements pointed out by the GAC group have been discussed here too. This shows the discussion can not be dismissed quickly between regional diversity and official geographic boundaries and this is the most important area of the gac

Seun Ojedeji: (07:57) background noise

Olga Cavalli: (07:57) GAC is the more diverse group in ICANN, not se same in other SOs ACs and Board

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (07:57) noise is untenable on the line

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:57) the captioning will be on the 13th

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:57) Dear All,  We are excited to announce that Phase 2 of the Captioning pilot will start up again in January. Please pass this email to others who I have missed.  If you would like to have a teleconference captioned during this second phase of the pilot please submit your request to At-Large Staff by January 1 or as soon as possible  As agreed to in part 1 of the pilot, the implementation of this project will be structured as follows:  Three calls to include captioning each month for a total of 6 teleconferences, not exceeding 60 minutes per call (with the exception of the ALAC Monthly Meeting) The calls shall be held between January – February 2017 Most calls will be captioned in English, with the exception of 1 in French and 1 in Spanish to be held in February Priority will be given to those groups who did not make it into the first phase. These include cross community groups such as the CCWG-Accountability and the CCWG-IG and other CCWGs To select the calls the captioning team has developed a set of criteri

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:58) so yes this was the call

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (07:58) See further details Wiki: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_atlarge_At-2DLarge-2BCaptioning-2BPilot-2BProject-2BII&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=PsRsxAf9geskYF-hiO1w9-VjS1OSCX_sK90_IYLotSg&s=EnmlGTp_5rMjLUe-IYYcApdabhFRZToNWNWLctlyEbg&e=    

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:58) the caption will be on 13th Jan

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:58) i was muted so could not add that

Seun Ojedeji: (07:58) From Akinbo: Regional should take into consideration indigents. Office of Diversity can address this issues with careful study over the years and recommend adoptions and solutions.

Alice Munyua: (07:58) Agree Olga. GAC is really quite diverse. Much more than other AC/SO's

Alice Munyua: (07:59) Issue is diversity of views/issues

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:59) it would be important on 13th jan to have all who

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:59) speak english as not 1st language

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:59) deal in accessibility

Rafik: (07:59) @Alice @Olga I tjink there are other groups quite diverse too

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (07:59) if possible, of course

Seun Ojedeji: (08:00) Okay bye for now. Thanks

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (08:00) ok these are my comments

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (08:00) thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (08:00) need  

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (08:00) bye  

Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:00) So long everyone, all the best.

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (08:00) i suggest also for the next call we could have a dial out in french channel IT IS very important

Alice Munyua: (08:01) Thank you everyone

Amal Al-saqqaf: (08:01) Thank you ! Bye

RAHMOUNI Dalila: (08:01) Thany you very much!

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (08:01) Thanks

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (08:01) apologies for not sending the link the transcription was just decided

Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: (08:01) Merci

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (08:01) no it is not on the wiki of the transcription project yet

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (08:01) although it is an at-large project this is a ccwg work

Alice Munyua: (08:01) Bye

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (08:01) thanks

Rafik: (08:02) bye all

Lito Ibarra: (08:02) Bye, Thanks

Rachel Pollack: (08:02) thanks, fiona and rafik!

Olga Cavalli: (08:02) bye all thanks!!!

• No labels