Terri Agnew:Welcome to the At-Large Review Working Party, ITEMS and MSSI Team Call on Wednesday, 21 December 2016 at 21:30 UTC

Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_zKHDAw&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=ZHqlKfZ3B4U1E6OddEjjR9Y6aDdKCFk7vkz9TiL_XX8&s=a1iIspQhB32V3-7J5HyRTVLy5oke4mZvbagObJTYb1Y&e=

Maureen Hilyard:Hi all.. Cheryl we haven't seen photos of THE birthday!!

Maureen Hilyard:The document froze on me this morning, so that I was unable to continue with my re-commenting session!

Leon Sanchez:Hello everyone

Alberto Soto:Hello all (again)!!

vanda:hi all

Terri Agnew:Welcome Vanda Scartizini

Maureen Hilyard:Yes @Alberto, hello again

vanda:took some time to find the adobe connection

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):should only be a slight delay in timeline

vanda:yes.

Maureen Hilyard:@Alan -That was what was requested by the ALAC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):not this document the NEXT

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):NO  delay now at all

Leon Sanchez:We're getting lost in translation :-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes it IS adding a step

Terri Agnew:Reminder: for our interpreters, please try to speak one at a time and identify yourself before speaking

Terri Agnew:Welcome Rosa Delgado

Rosa Delgado:Hello Terri

Maureen Hilyard:Thank you Larisa

vanda:clear Larissa.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):and when has any other review been subject to such early and extensive scrutiny and informal wider community comment on UN completed early draft documentation...

Terri Agnew:Welcome Aída Noblia

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Tom the request from An

Alan Greenberg:@Cheryl. That is part of the substance on my intervention...

Aída Noblia:Hi all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ALAC only requested this yesterday

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):so ITEMS needs no comments or feedback from us/ALAC on the NEXT draft... 

vanda:@cheryl same I understood.

vanda:more time on this one may help

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):not the WP THE ALAC

Alan Greenberg:We have made our thoughts known. We have the answer. Let's move on

Maureen Hilyard:The important feature of the request for ALAC consultation and thus some unanimity among the ALAC,  before it goes out to the Public

Leon Sanchez:Lars, from my POV giving the opportunity to the comunity being reviewed to comment on the draft is only a basic "due process" right we would like to have. Otherwise it would seem like a top-down process without any saying by those who are under scrutiny. But that's just my opinion of course

Maureen Hilyard:@Leon Which you are entitled to :)

vanda:I sent mine few minutes ago

McTim:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources_reviews_org_alac&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=ZHqlKfZ3B4U1E6OddEjjR9Y6aDdKCFk7vkz9TiL_XX8&s=5kqOSMb3_RHgQHaOvf09zeHkyTRnY8_yekuJdMfHlLc&e=   lays out the scope of the review...FYI

Lars Hoffmann:@ leon. this current process allowes the community to comment and interact with the indepednent examiner. that period can be extended to make sure all feedback can be provided. please also remember that before the  final report is release theee WP gets another s feedback period, like the current one.  so after the next draft, WP and At-Large can comment during the pulic comment and prior to the final report.

Terri Agnew:Welcome Avri Doria

Leon Sanchez:Thanks Lars

vanda:hi Avri

Terri Agnew:Welcome Javier Rúa-Jovet

vanda:welcome Avri, javier

Larisa Gurnick:@Leon, we are in agreement that the entity under review should have an opportunity to comment - that is the phase that we are in now.  We are suggesting that if the original time frame does not provide sufficient opportunity, we absolutely should amend the time line to give you a chance to comment, clarify and correct.  then ITEMS will need a chance to take all your feedback into consideration.

Leon Sanchez:Understood @Larisa. Thanks

vanda:i agree it is now a little premature...

Larisa Gurnick:I may be missing something, but I am struggling with how this is top-down.

Javier Rúa-Jovet:Apparently got my hour wrong cause I set this meeting starting now. My apologies.

Nick Thorne:Larisa I think that is right. If the WG needs more time then we can work to accommodate that. (Bit concerned about knock on effect but we can deal with that). sorry about the social media impact, but we did not seek that

Javier Rúa-Jovet:Hi Terri, Hi Vanda

Javier Rúa-Jovet:agree with Olivier

Eduardo Diaz:Connecting a litle bit late

vanda:Olivier is raisin a vey critical point!

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:@Holly -- I was commenting on what is in the report , not on what you said

Javier Rúa-Jovet:In a way we all are a diverse cross section of end users in the world, and we strive to voice end user interests as we perceive them

Terri Agnew:Welecome Eudardo Diaz

Javier Rúa-Jovet:hola Eduardo

vanda:@olivier I have suggested instead of representing, "defending "the end users interest under ICANN mandate

Holly Raiche:@ OC - thanks - it's clearly an issue that should be addressed

Leon Sanchez:I have provided my comments in the google doc and some are in line with what is being said

Eduardo Diaz:@javier: hola

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I have no link

Nick Thorne:Cheryl:could you please elaborate on your last point about alternative ways to comment> Understand concerns of those who did not expect their comments to be maade public.. Not sure what we can do about that btut we would like to be helpful.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thx Tom

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):confirming receipt

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):noted Lariat

Holly Raiche:Tim - old hand?

Alan Greenberg:It is below mine. It is new

Terri Agnew:Welcome Glenn McKnight

Alberto Soto:I'm free on the 24th at night .....

Glenn McKnight:Had a previous  meeting  then had to eat

vanda:tom is vanish here and there...

vanda:i can not follow , he vanished

Glenn McKnight:Missed  Olivier comment , not in the chat

Alan Greenberg:You will have to listen to recording...

Glenn McKnight:@olivier what was your  main popint

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:I baically said that putting a question mark over the ALAC's legitimacy of "representing" end users opens the door to questioning the legitimacy of the multistakeholder model itself -- as there is no way that anyone in the multistakeholder model can represent  2.5 Bn Internet users

Glenn McKnight:Me and Judith were on a call the same time with Chirs Modini

Holly Raiche:His main point was a about the role of ALAC - which is in the by-laws - to represent the interests of end users - and concerns that the review could undermine the legitimacy of ALAC and the MSM

Alberto Soto:+1 Olivierr

Glenn McKnight:@olivier  its a common view that we can't  represent  the Billions of people, we don';t have the mandate or the capacity

Alberto Soto:Olivier

Andrei Kolesnikov:i definetely represent a dozen of users :) and few are domain professionals

Glenn McKnight:Empowered, Multistakerholderism and other  like terms are bounced around without any true understanding or  meaning

Glenn McKnight:Its like the terms  freedom and democracy.  A wide range of views and no common definations

Terri Agnew:finding the line

Maureen Hilyard:Once on any Board or Executive committee, although elected to a position, one generally represents their own view because it is acknowledged that they cannot represent the 3billion others, but they have been seen to listen to and respect the views and opnions from within their constituency

vanda:in spanish

Alberto Soto:In LACRALO we have very clear, that we represent "the interests of the end users"

Glenn McKnight:I hope the next  version  addresses the issue of Working groups given the lack of questions in the At Large review survey

vanda:Alberto. I beleive we are there to defending their interests under ICANN mandate. we were not elected by end users to representing them

Alberto Soto:yes Vanda,

Glenn McKnight:In the case of NARALO given the  amount of press on the IANA transition, I never got a single email or  phone call from the mainstream press to speak about how we serve the interests of the Internet End User.  We might have this mandate but very few people are aware of our function and role

Glenn McKnight:The change has to have expected results

Alberto Soto:Vanda, I was wrong about a word

Glenn McKnight:Are we just shifting  the deck chairs on the Titanic?

vanda:Alberto I have proposed the change in the mission itself to avoid misunderstanding

Alan Greenberg:You will have my comments hopefully before the deadline tomorrow. If it turns out I cannot make that deadline, I will let the ITEMS team know.

vanda:Alan - we will change the deadline

vanda:agree with Holly

Alberto Soto:I repeat, I'm free on the 24th at night .....

Alberto Soto:yes , at night

Maureen Hilyard:Just before he changes into his Santa suit... :)

Alan Greenberg:Alberto will have a lonely Christmas Eve!

vanda:even now that hanukkah will coincide in the same day

vanda:Alberto youa re welcome at my home in Sao paulO!!!

Maureen Hilyard:@Larisa

Maureen Hilyard:Happy with that expectation

vanda:+ 1 Maureen

Alberto Soto:Thanks Vanda, It was just a joke

avri doria (observer):please pardon a comment from an observer.  i assume that as with the GNSO review, the ALAC will be able to notify the Board of which recommendations they accept and of which they do not accept.

vanda:yes Avri, I believe so.

Alan Greenberg:@Avri. Surely. And in the current atmosphere, I find it hard to beleive the Board will impose a change that the AC/SO is against.

Alberto Soto:Thank you very much and happy holidays!!!

Leon Sanchez:thanks everyone

vanda:happy Christmas and Happy hanukkah!

Larisa Gurnick:Happy Holidays!  Thank you

Leon Sanchez:happy holidays!

Ariel Liang:happy holidays!

Aída Noblia:Thank You very much. Happy HOLIDAY Bye all

Kaili Kan:Bye!

• No labels