Sub-group Members: Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Fiona Asonga, Julie Hammer, Leon Sanchez, Lito Ibarra, Pam Little, Rafik Dammak, Sebastien Bachollet  (8)

Staff: Karen Mulberry, Lars Hoffman, Laena Rahim, Nathalie Vergnolle, Yvette Guigneaux

Apologies:  Amal Ramzi

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1. Roll Call

2. Welcome - Opening Remarks

3. Discussion Topics- second reading of second version of strawman document[]

 4. AOB

Notes  (including relevant portions of the chat)

1. Roll Call

Roll call will be taken from the AC room

 2. Welcome - Opening Remarks

Fiona provided a summary of last call's discussions:

In the 1st reading of the strawman document, a number of issues came up:

- Issues of gender: request for us to place more emphasis on gender identity as opposed to sexual orientation

- Request to add skills to our document, as a separate element of diversity.

- Suggestion to ask SO/ACs to share with us what elements of diversity they consider to be important, as it may vary from group to group (SO/AC, board and staff).Questions for SO/ACs need to be drafted

- Language: should consider meeting with the Meetings team to see how meetings could be set up in other languages than English.

- Public data on age difficult to access - we should again reach to the Meetings team to see if it would be possible to get the data on age that is given to ICANN as part of the registration process.

- we agreed we would focus on prioritization of the different elements of diversity.

Today's call is a 2nd reading of the strawman document.

 3. Discussion Topics- second reading of  second version of strawman document  

Link to strawman document:

 Fiona has questions that may help the group move forward:

-        one recommendation that came out of WS1 was to have a diversity review of SOs and ACs. This could help us identify which elements of diversity are important. One question we could ask them is what mechanisms they have in place that enhance diversity?

-        We also have to figure out how we are going to reach out to the larger community, maybe by putting out a questionnaire for public comment, instead of just asking to responses from SO/ACs representatives.

-        One other question we have to answer: Identifying the possible structures that could follow, promote and support the strengthening of diversity within ICANN.

 Sebastien Bachollet: Other questions we can ask SO/ACs: Where do they stand regarding diversity? What could be the next steps they think they can take regarding diversity?

Regarding sending out a questionnaire, it may be difficult to get balanced answers, but would be very interesting to get inputs. Maybe we could do it during the next ICANN meeting, through the registration process.

 Fiona: calling for volunteers to put together the questionnaire for SO/ACs. Let's try to get volunteers before our next meeting.

We could add a few questions to the registration form, else we need to figure out how we will distribute the questionnaire.

On Strawman 3.7 data collection:

Data is being collected for ICANN meeting: A lot of information should already be there.

Sebastien: not only from the data collected at ICANN meetings. We could also collect data through the SOI for example. On the ICANN website, you have a profile, we could also collect infos from there. Could be a task for the diversity committee to make sure that this data is being used.

Fiona suggests talking to the staff in charge of collecting the data to see how we could best use it.

 Rafik: the problem is that data is scattered between SO/AC, SG/C and also SOIs, applications for review teams etc. no to suggest a centralized database though but agreeing in some standards

 Cheryl: the capturing exercise will always be a limiting exercise, as it's up to participants to input information as they wish into the systems. May be useful to ask for 3rd party professional survey to be done.

On the strawman document Page 2, where elements of diversity are identified, I'd like it to be outlined that these elements are significant elements but not necessarily the only elements of diversity that ICANN may be interested in looking at.

 Cheryl: it can be a challenge to maximize diversity, sometimes due to the size of the group we are looking at. Appointments can only be made from people who have applied - if 99% of applicants are male, it is complicating the matter of trying to maintain diversity then.

 Fiona agrees that diversity is not just for diversity's sake, it should be relevant and add value.

 Rafik: if we start collecting more data and information, we should take care about data protection.

 Rafik: I think we should list all places where data are collected about the community, meeting attendees etc.

 Sebastien suggests to invite relevant staff to next meeting to discuss data collection, in particular the meeting team who is taking care of the registration data, but also Chris Gift, who is taking care of the web site and the new registration process there. Also may ask somebody from IT, on the technical side for data protection.

 Rafik: I think DPRD doing some work on that area too, maybe Ergys.

 Agreed next steps:

- invite staff to discuss data collection

- call for volunteers to draft questions

- Fiona will start drafting questions and share them on the mailing list. Asking for assistance in drafting the questions as English is not her primary language.

- address any remaining issues in the strawman document

 4. AOB

An update will be provided to the plenary tomorrow on the progress made by the subgroup.

Documents Presented


Chat Transcript

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Welcome all to the WS2_CCWG Diversity Subgroup | Meeting #6 |  13 December 2016 @ 05:  00 UTC!

  Yvette Guigneaux:  If you are not speaking, kindly mute your phones. *6 to unmute.

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Yes, confirmed

  Yvette Guigneaux:  Strawman v2 on screen

  Yvette Guigneaux:  scrolling available if needed

  Rafik:  hi everyone, sorry I will be in listen-only mode

  Rafik:  the proble is that data is scattered between SO/AC, SG/C and also SOIs, applications for review teams etc. no to suggest a centralized database though but agreeing in some standards

  Rafik:  if we start collecitng more data and informaiton, we should take care about data protection

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  it's a topic I can easily get carried away in Sorry if go on too long at times

  Rafik:  I think we should list all places where data are collected about the community, meeting attendees etc.

  Rafik:  I think DPRD doing some work on that area too

  Pam Little:  @Rafik - What does DPRD stand for?

  Rafik:  @Pam https:  //

  Pam Little:  Thank you.

  Rafik:  I think Ergys

  Rafik:  we need to ask SO/AC about their members, which is mainly managed by them

  Lito Ibarra:  Thank you all

  Rafik:  thanks everyone

  Karen Mulberry:  Thank you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  byeby


  • No labels