Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:  Alberto Soto, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Herb Waye, Klaus Stoll, Sebastien Bachollet  (6)

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte,  Elizabeth Andrews, Karen Mulberry, Laena Rahim, Yvette Guigneaux

Apologies:  

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1. Welcome

2. Introductions & Updates to the Statements of Interest

3. Review of plan for Hyderabad

4. AOB

Notes

(including relevant parts of chat):

9 Participants at start of call.

1. Welcome

Sebastien Bachollet: no exceptions.

2.     Review of plan for Hyderabad

Sebastien Bachollet: (Presentation of slides)

Herb Waye: Concerned this report only represents the views of a small number of people and not the community.

Sebastien Bachollet: Our work will be presented to the plenary of the CCWG-WS2 so this is not an issue. After it is accepted it will go for public comment to be accepted by the community.

Herb Waye: Willing to pay for part of the evaluation, have funds and will have to do one (there may be a conflict of interest with such funding).

Klaus: I am just thinking about if anybody outside the WG will actually understand the slides? Somehow I think not. We might need a more "understandable" version. Content is OK but who will understand and do we get the message across?

Avri Doria: i think there will be chance to explain t to assembled crowd.  In terms of staff accountability, we have included a reference to the necessity of coordinating with this group.

Chris LaHatte: the slide about consent of the Ombuds is an issue

Avri Doria: but the people listening will all be CCWG participants.

Herb Waye Ombuds: Did this idea of consent come about as a copy of the reconsideration new process in the bylaws I wonder?

Klaus: I think the cross group issue is critical now, we will need to have a mechanism in place to have the input from the other WG's

Bernard Turcotte: @Klaus - the co-chairs advised on the leadership call last week that they would focus on this to ensure synchronicity between sub-groups

Klaus: Great, good to know. Thanks

Karen Mulberry: I am working out the details for the Review that you have asked for

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: we should note that at least from the slide mentioning crossover matters the mention of Elections might be inflammatory for some CCWG Members.

Sebastien Bachollet: This was one of my suggestions for our work.

Herb Waye Ombuds: That idea is good Sébastien and it could be in the office but I would need to ask for funding for staff... The IOO could become a sort of ethics office

Sebastien Bachollet: the evaluation will probably impact our timetable.

Klaus: Ethics can never be a subject of an office but an community. Happy to discuss this at a face to face basis.

Herb Waye Ombuds: Agree Klaus, two separate hats but some organizations do it as part time functions.

Sébastien Bachollet: Shall we resume our calls immediately after Hyderabad. Next meeting on November 14 or 21? will check with staff AOB? (none). Adjourned.

Documents Presented

CCWG_WS2_Ombudsman_ICANN57ReportV1.3BT (1)2.pdf

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux:  Welcome all to the Ombudsman Subgroup | Meeting #11  | Monday, 24 October 2016 @ 19:00 UTC!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  hi All...  Ibcan only be in AC  not phone bridge I am in 2 calls at once atm

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Hi all... I guess adobe just can't handle multitasking like it used to

Yvette Guigneaux:  copy that Cheryl

Herb Waye Ombuds:  can i have a sound check please?

Alberto Soto:  Hello all!

Herb Waye Ombuds:  I hear good to :  -)

BERNARD TURCOTTE:  Hi all

aVri doria:  hI

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  gee Bernie...it seems like only hours since we spoke

BERNARD TURCOTTE:  You are nver far from my thoughts dear

Chris LaHatte:  hi all

Yvette Guigneaux:  Sebastien - just note you can move slides if need be

Yvette Guigneaux:  or i can move them for you at your request - your choice  =)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  it has to go to the CCWG Plenary as we

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  bit choppy in audio

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Thanks to both of you, points well taken

aVri doria:  as one of those CWG drafting team leaders, i can vouch for the amount of work we did.

aVri doria:  with tiny groups.

Herb Waye Ombuds:  @avri, and many of those workers deserve medals

BERNARD TURCOTTE:  indeed

Klaus:  However small the group is, it's the whole community that does the evaluation. It works!

Herb Waye Ombuds:  I like that last line

aVri doria:  things can start n small groups, but in the end the whol community needs to biuy into the solutiion.  Andsend it back when it needs more work.  The stuff in DT M was sent back for more detail a few times.

aVri doria:  i mean N, hard to remember after all this time.  Though M kept working till the end.

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Comment:   I can contribute funding to the evaluation

Klaus:  I am just thinking about if anybody outside the WG will actualy understand the slides? Somehow I think not. We might need a more "understandable" version.

Klaus:  Content is OK but who will understand and do we get the message accross?

aVri doria:  i think there will be chance to expain t to assembled rowd.  In terms of staff accountabilty, we have included a reference to the necessity of coordinating with this group.

Chris LaHatte:  the slide about consent of the Ombuds is an issue

aVri doria:  but the people listening will all be CCWG participants.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  very hard to hear

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Did this idea of consent come about as a copy of the reconsideration new process in the bylaws I wonder?

Yvette Guigneaux:  Cheryl - over all trouble hearing?  or certain speakers?

Klaus:  I think the cross group issue is critical now, we will need to have a mechanism in palce to have the input from the other WG's

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Haha me too... I jumped when I saw that

BERNARD TURCOTTE:  @Klaus - the co-chairs advised on the leadership call last week that they would focus on this to ensure synchronicity between sub-groups

Klaus:  Great, good to know. Thanks

Karen Mulberry:  I am working out the details for the Refview that you have asked for

Klaus:  leadership by legal internaly ?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  we should note that at least from the slide mentioning  crossover matters the mention of Elections  might be inflamatory for some CCWG Members

Herb Waye Ombuds:  That idea is good Seébastien and it could be in the office but I would need to ask for funding for staff... The IOO could become a sort of ethics office

Klaus:  Ethics can never be a subject of an office but an community. Happy to discuss this at a face to face basis.

Chris LaHatte:  subject to visa, see you all in India

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Agree Klaus, two separate hats but some organizations do it as part time functions.

Herb Waye Ombuds:  No agenda, just a recap of the meeting

Klaus:  Herb, as a jewish lutheran theologian you will never get me into agreing on office based ethics. just not done

aVri doria:  i expect i will miss a meeting on the 14th as i will be at ietf.

BERNARD TURCOTTE:  all good

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Klaus how about Office of professional standards

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  great ... bye for now then...

aVri doria:  bye

Herb Waye Ombuds:  Excellen work Sebastien, thank you so much to you and others who supported this work

Klaus:  Thanks all!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  😀 still on another call tbough

BERNARD TURCOTTE:  bye all

Alberto Soto:  thanks!, bye!!!!!!!

Herb Waye Ombuds:  ciao all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  bye

Sebastien (ALAC):  Bye and thanks

• No labels