Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:   Alan Greenberg, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Farzaneh Badii, Jorge Villa, Julf Helsingius, Kavouss Arasteh, Mary Uduma, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Samantha Eisner, Sebastien Bachollet, Steve DelBianco, Tatiana Tropina, Tom Dale

Staff:  Brenda Brewer, Karen Mulberry, Alice Jansen

Apologies:  Greg Shatan, Seun Ojedeji

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

0. Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies 

1. Welcome - Opening Remarks 

2. Review (brief) of last call #5 and any Action Items / Business Arising 

3. Discussion Topics

• What are the current SO/AC Accountability mechanisms (group discussion) 

o Possible Formal Request or List of Questions to go to the Leadership of each SO/AC - a proposal to the CCWG Plenary next week?

• How do we interpret "working plan" for enhancing SO/AC Accountability

o  The new bylaws on SOAC Accountability

4. AOB / Next Meeting

Notes

Review (brief) of last call #5 and any Action Items / Business Arising?

- Reviewed text from Annex 10 and the presenttion to the Plenary to address accountability both internal and external .

- External describes as eveyone who is not part of the target constituencies for a community

- Need to be careful as to how captureing what is meant in using the term exrernal

What are the current SO/AC Accountability mechanisms?

Continued discussion of who are we accountable to

- Need to formulate the question to gather information regarding accountability and then will send to the SO/AC leadership for discussion within their groups

• How do we interpret "working plan" for enhancing SO/AC Accountability

- Asking for comments and ideas as to what the plan should entail

- SO/AC Accountability per WS2 Bylaw review and develop … to the extent set forth in the CCWG-Accountability Final Report:

(iii) Supporting Organization and Advisory Commitee accountability, including but not limited to improved processes for accountability,

transparency, andparticipationn that are helpful to prevent capture

- review and develop are key terms

question noted regarding review

ACTION ITEM - draft text of questions based on the  bylaws charter for our group (slide on the screen), plus Recc 10 and 12 (also in the slides).  Question to ask 
each SO/AC about their accountability mechanisms pending review of the staff paper

Next call is on 15 Sept at 1300 UTC

Action Items

ACTION ITEM - draft text of questions based on the  bylaws charter for our group (slide on the screen), plus Recc 10 and 12 (also in the slides).  Question to ask 
each SO/AC about their accountability mechanisms pending review of the staff paper

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #6 on Thursday, 8 September @ 05:00 UTC!

Kavouss Arasteh:HI bRENDA

Kavouss Arasteh:hI kAREN

Brenda Brewer 2:Hello Kavouss!

Kavouss Arasteh:sORRY FOR CAP

Kavouss Arasteh:Dear Co- Chairs

Kavouss Arasteh:good time pls, a) DO NOT INTERRUP ANY SPEAKER AND 2, PLS DO NOT MONOPOLIZE MICROPHONE

Julf Helsingius (GNSO NCPH NCA):Nice music!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):there is Music?

Alan Greenberg:No music here...

Farzaneh Badii:there was at some point :)

Tatiana Tropina:hi all

Julf Helsingius (GNSO NCPH NCA):there was a brief spot of classical piano music

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Those words were not put in the bylaws, Kavouss.   We are using those words here in our group .  If not helpful, we can use other terms

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):That is almost the sam question as Alan just asked I beleive Kavous

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sam = same

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:First circle is active members.   Second circle is target of all possible members.   Third circle is everyone else?

Alan Greenberg:They are not necesaily concetric. Some will be overlapping/intersecting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):argh  sorry my computer just crashed... using tablet now while I try to reboot

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]: Alan -- I think I heard you say you were prepared to describe ALAC's Accountability Mechanisms.    Is that right?

Kavouss Arasteh:Steve+1

Kavouss Arasteh:Alan11

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Briefly of course Alan ;-)

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Question for Alan: Does At-Large have a procedures document, charter, or other document where this is described

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):?The ALAC  RoP's  go ad nauseum on process for selection of these roles

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):and to a lesser extent the RALO ones do as well

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:would you say the main mechanisms are: 1)elections and 2) participation?

Alan Greenberg:To be clear, I was talking about the "At-Large Community" as defined in the ICANN Bylaws.

Alan Greenberg:That was not "the ALAC Answer". tHAT WAS PURELY MY PERCEPTION.

Alan Greenberg:Sorry for caps

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes Seb we said we would ask questions of each AC SO

Sebastien (ALAC):Thanks CLO

Sebastien (ALAC):No pb Alan, was useful

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thx STEVE

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sorry caps

Alan Greenberg:You can never eliminate capture unless you can ensure that individual parts of the organization do not abdicate om their responsibility to participate.

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Yes, Kavouss.   The "review" part is telling us to look at the existing processes

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:+1 Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):exactly Alan

Alan Greenberg:I'm not sure we are here to make recommendations to each AC/SO. We are here to help design a framework under which future reviews can be done.

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Our question to each SOAC must begin with the bylaws charter for our group (slide on the screen), plus Recc 10 and

>12 (also in the slids)

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Kavouss -- I did not say that this question was about EXTERNAL accountability

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:please see slids 1, 2, and 3.   that's all

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Great to hear that it is coming soon

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Agree, Cheryl

Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Nothing further from me, Cheryl

Karen Mulberry:Next call is on 15 Sept at 1300 UTC

Sebastien (ALAC):Yes CLO

Karen Mulberry:The list of SO/AC subgroup calls is located at https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=59643284

Farzaneh Badii:Thanks all

Karen Mulberry:Its posted on the group's wiki page too

Julf Helsingius (GNSO NCPH NCA):Than you everyone!

Mary Uduma:Thanks All and Bye

Tatiana Tropina:thanks! bye

Farzaneh Badii:Thanks bye

Avri Doria:bye all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye all

• No labels