Alan Greenberg

Ariel Liang

Janice Douma Lange
AL-ALAC-ST-0716-02-01-EN

For information about this Public Comment, please click here 

FINAL VERSION TO BE SUBMITTED IF RATIFIED

AL-ALAC-ST-0716-02-01-EN.pdf

FINAL DRAFT VERSION TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE ALAC

The ALAC appreciates the opportunity to comment on the ICANN Fellowship Program Application Process Review. The ALAC believes that the Fellowship Program is one of the best methods for attracting and integrating dedicated younger generation participants into the ICANN Community. The At-Large Community, in particular, has greatly benefited from the contributions of Fellowship alumni. For example, several current and past leaders of AFRALO, APRALO and LACRALO, as well as ALAC Members from those regions (including the ALAC Co-Chair of CCWG-Accountability) were ICANN Fellows. They play an impactful role both within ICANN and in their respective countries to advocate for the interests of end users and help in the development of the Internet for the future.

The ALAC strongly supports the projected FY17 improvements to the ICANN Fellowship Program. These changes promise to make the program even better by:

• Not arbitrarily restricting countries and territories from which applicants are submitted;
  • Helping address ICANN's diversity requirements; and
  • Placing a focus on applicants that have greater potential for becoming ongoing committed volunteers. 

The ALAC appreciates that these changes may make the process of selecting candidates more difficult, but believes ICANN is making a wise choice in doing this, ensuring that under-served communities everywhere can begin to be involved in the ICANN community.

In light of the proposed changes to the ICANN Fellowship Program, the ALAC is confident that this successful initiative will continue fulfilling the capacity building needs of an evolving ICANN Community, bringing in new blood, and strengthening the multistakeholder organization.

FIRST DRAFT SUBMITTED

The ALAC appreciates the opportunity to comment on the ICANN Fellowship Program Application Process Review. The ALAC believes that the Fellowship Program is one of the best methods for attracting and integrating dedicated younger generation participants into the ICANN Community. The At-Large Community, in particular, has greatly benefited from the contributions of Fellowship alumni. For example, the Chair and Vice Chair of APRALO, former Chair of AFRALO and LACRALO, current LACRALO Secretariat, current ALAC member selected by AFRALO, and current ALAC member selected by LACRALO/CCWG-Accountability Co-Chair were ICANN Fellows. They play an impactful role in their respective countries to advocate for the interests of end users and help in the development of the Internet for the future.

The ALAC strongly supports the projected FY17 improvements to the ICANN Fellowship Program. These changes promise to make the program even better by:

• Not arbitrarily restricting countries and territories from which applicants are submitted;
  • Helping address ICANN's diversity requirements; and
  • Placing a focus on applicants that have greater potential for becoming ongoing committed volunteers. 

The ALAC appreciates that these changes may make the process of selecting candidates more difficult, but believes ICANN is making a wise choice in doing this.

In light of the proposed changes to the ICANN Fellowship Program, the ALAC is confident that this successful initiative will continue fulfilling the capacity building needs of an evolving ICANN Community, bringing in new blood, and strengthening the Multistakeholder Model.

• No labels

6 Comments

1. I agree. The ICANN Fellowship programme is one lever by which end user participants may become engaged and, in time, integrated into the community. So purely on this premise, it is important that we add our voices to the recommendations. 

Quite apart from the substantive, I fully endorse and applaud the process by which this advisory was developed.  I have long held that At-Large staff can be much more useful in the advice development process than they are typically engaged and this demonstrably supports my contention.  Finally, congratulations to Ariel, who has shown keen interest in moving the work along in this fashion. 

-Carlton

2. Sent by Seun Ojideji via e-mail to the ALAC list

Oh so a statement of support was also going to be helpful, was thinking it was if we had concerns. Thanks for the draft and  My +1 to the statement at it currently stand, if its not too late, you may consider a few minor comments below:

1. Can "They play an impactful role in their respective countries to...." be updated to "They play an impactful role in their respective countries and within ICANN to...." I think emphasizing the impact of atlarge within ICANN is quite important. I have always been of the opinion that atlarge defending the interest of end-users within ICANN is of more importance than what they do outside of it. Ofcourse not that, that is also not important.
    2. I suggest re-wording of the third paragraph to the following:"The ALAC recognizes that these changes may make the process of selecting candidates more difficult, but believes ICANN is making a wise choice in doing this and would ensure to maintain fairness and balance in the selection process, especially towards improving representation of under-served/under developed countries/territories within ICANN processes "

Regards

1. I will adjust statement accordingly.

3. Wording change to reflect the wide range of AT-Large leaders who started with the Fellowship program.

4. Great summary statement. Many thanks Alan and Ariel.

5. The  current fellowship program suffered from inherent bias to countries that were deemed economically challenged to the determent to North America and Europe which has lacked the 'new blood' to help their RALO's.  The work by Garth, Darlene, Judith, Loris and myself has repeatedly stressed that  US and Canadian Tribal Governments under treaty with US and Canada have per capita incomes similar to those countries  deemed worthy.  We have submitted our comments already on this issue for consideration