You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 16 Next »

This page seeks to track possible technology related issues noted by the At-Large Technology Taskforce Working Group and the At-Large Community for raising with ICANN Staff.

Status of IssueUpdatedDescription of IssueSolution / Workarounds
RESOLVED When At-Large persons with Yahoo email addresses post to At-Large mailing lists, their emails are received as spam messages by other persons on the mailing list.
In Gmail, the emails recevied from Yahoo email addresses have his message in the spam folder
"Why is this message in Spam? It has a from address in yahoo.com but has failed yahoo.com's required tests for authentication. Learn more
ICANN Staff plans to install updates to mailman to support DMARC. See http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/at-large/2015q4/004153.html
  Ability to select different audio channels in Adobe Connect. Many conference calls have interpretation on different Adigo channels but only one audio channel can be broadcast in Adobe Connect.ICANN IT says there is no workaround - only one audio channel can be selected in Adobe Connect

According to Josh Baulch in an email =

Currently there is NOT an option to have more than one audio channel within Adobe Connect.  I have explored many options to try to resolve this issue, as I understand the concerns this group has, and I too would like to see these features with adobe connect.  Some options I have tried, utilizing the breakout sessions, which DOES split up the audio into difference bridges, however, there is no option for an interpreter to be able to bridge across two language breakouts to be able to do their job. The only way to have multi channel audio currently with adobe connect is to link to an outside service, similar to how we are currently managing multi-language streaming.  There is a bit of a flaw in this thought process to have multiple languages all in the English based adobe connect room.  The true way this is intended to work, and was utilized by ICANN with NETmundial, is to provide each adobe connect room in the native language.  For example, you have English, French and Spanish Adobe Connect rooms (all separate dedicated rooms), which are tied to the phone bridge for the respective languages.  This allows when a Spanish speaking person logs into the Spanish Adobe Connect, they hear, read and see Spanish, and when a user speaks in English, the Spanish room hears the Spanish interpreters.  Having done this myself for NETmundial, this is logistically very challenging, and requires many staff to make this happen.  In my example, you would need three operators (one for each language), three Remote Participation managers, one for each room, and fluent in the respective room language to answer chat comments etc. You would also need the three interpreters, one for each room.  Not to mention, the content to be shared in each room, also needs to be translated into the respective room language.  This is an example of a perfect world, but at this point is not technically feasible nor manageable from a labor standpoint.

So to round this conversation point, currently the technology provided by Adobe Connect does not permit the feature you are looking for.

Remote participation in ICANN F2F meetings. There are significant challenges for remote participation

• The Adobe Connect room can only stream one audio channel, and typically its the raw audio, meaning interpretation is not heard.
  • Similarly, persons wanting to speak have to dial Adigo but still can only hear raw audio, meaning the remote participants cannot hear interpretation.
  • The different language audio streams are delayed by up to 30-40 seconds. If the computer was used to dial Adigo (using programs like Skype), this results in two audio streams, one from the Adigo bridge, one from the language stream which makes it hard to understand speakers in the room being interpreted in the language of the remote participant

IN PROGRESS11 December 2015the ability to export Adobe Connect recordings from Flash only recordings to formats like MP4 which can be edited and put on video sharing websites for easier resharing and accessible for At-Large community
  • There is a way for an end user to download a Adobe Connect recording locally by adding the following to the end of the URL for the Adobe Connect recording you wish to save: /output/filename.zip?download=zip

However the ZIP file contains a lot of FLV and XML files. So putting together a sequence of FLVs and converting to MP4 appears to be challenging.
  • With Adobe Connect 9.5, admins have the ability to save recordings in MP4 format - see http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeconnect/2015/09/introducing-adobe-connect-9-5.html and https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/using/recording-playing-back-meetings.html but still requires admins to playback the recording in real time to do the conversion of the adobe connect recording to MP4. See also
  • another approach is for a user to use screen recording software to record the session in real time.
IN PROGRESS13 December 2015LACRALO mailing list issues - see discussion-of-LACRALO-mailing-list-issues

Filed a budget request to the At-Large FBSC for ICANN to finance the hiring of a programmer to assist the volunteer ICANN staff member to fix outstanding bugs - see At-Large FY17 Budget Development Workspace , this was approved by the At-Large FBSC and filed with ICANN.

Call for volunteers to help test the latest version of the translation engine - several persons have joined and several new bugs identified at discussion-of-LACRALO-mailing-list-issues page

(submitted by Satish Babu) - the dial-out quality for most conference calls are quite poor and practically unintelligeble for 60-70% of the time. The device used at my end is my mobile phone, which works ok for normal calls. Can something be done about this? The AC room audio is much better (in listen-only mode), although it's somewhat noisy if I try to speak at peak hours.Nathalie Peregrine to schedule test calls with Adigo and Satish
  • No labels