Sub-group Members: Carlos Raul Gutiérrez, Christopher Wilkinson, David Maher, Greg Shatan, Jan Scholte, Jeff Neuman, Kavouss Arasteh, Keith Drazek, Leon Sanchez, Pär Brumark, Phil Buckingham (11)
Staff: Bernie Turcotte, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer
Apologies: Mathieu Weill, Seun Ojedeji, Sebastien Bachollet
**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**
- The Adobe Connect recording is available here: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p85wtkh9g8v/
- The audio recording is available here: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ccwg-acct-07oct15-en.mp3
GS to chair the meeting with LS
- 23 comments received
- 19 supportive of fostering diversity
- 10 with issues
- 9 comments received
- 9 supportive
- 4 with issues
- 15 comments received
- 12 supportive
- 3 with issues
This did not include the responses that were generally supportive of the proposal
Volunteers for using the Zuck model for comment analysis
Diversity - Carlos Raul,
Staff accountability - Jeff Neuman, LS
SO/AC accountability - LS, JS
GS - we need to work on two tracks 1 - analyse the public comments and 2 - (parallel) dev and revision of the sections of the document relating to these topics..
KD - Walk-through of the Zuck model.
GS - The DelBianco addition to the Zuck model is a final section that is more subjective evaluations and comments.
GS - The critical element for this WP is SOAC accountability given the current state of discussion in the CCWG. General discussion of SO/AC accountability.
GS - best to adjourn now and allow volounteers to proceed with detailed comment analysis.
AOB - none
- PC2 - Section 4 -Fundamental Bylaws_.pdf (example only)
- PC2 tool - 24 SeptBTv2.xlsx
Brenda Brewer: (10/7/2015 12:31) Hello all and welcome to WP3 Meeting #7 on 7th October @ 18:00 UTC! Please note that chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior: http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards
Carlos Raul GNSO: (12:58) Hello
Brenda Brewer: (12:59) Yes, We hear you Leon
Carlos Raul GNSO: (12:59) we could hear Leon & Co.
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:00) hello all
Keith Drazek: (13:02) Leon, we can't hear you. Too much background noise.
Keith Drazek: (13:02) I'm only on Adobe
Keith Drazek: (13:02) Greg?
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:03) do we have an agenda?
Leon Sanchez: (13:03) Thanks!
Leon Sanchez: (13:03) no agenda so you're the man
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:03) question: WP3?
Leon Sanchez: (13:03) I would suggest we do as we did on WP4
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:04) we are recording
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:05) Diversity- 23 comments received- 19 supportive of fostering diversity- 10 with issuesStaff Accountability- 9 comments received- 9 supportive- 4 with issuesSO/AC accountability- 15 comments received- 12 supportive- 3 with issues
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:05) Leon?
Leon Sanchez: (13:06) WP3 is the one taking care of emerging issues which were labeled as Diversity, Staff Accountability and SO/AC accountability Carlos
Leon Sanchez: (13:06) I don't think anyone has Greg
Leon Sanchez: (13:06) let's call for volunteers
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:06) Hi Everybody
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:07) Soory to be late
Jeff Neuman: (13:07) Can someon post the zuck model for analyzing comments?
Keith Drazek: (13:07) Apologies for not being able to contribute; I haven't been active in this group and I was just planning to observe.
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:08) didnt you hear me???
Jeff Neuman: (13:08) We did not hear you carlos
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:08) Jeff, The Model is called ZSKas it was products of three persons
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:08) I volunteer for either 1 and/or 3
Leon Sanchez: (13:08) We didn't hear you Carlos
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:08) sorry
Keith Drazek: (13:09) @Kavouss: He's referring to the framework for public comment analysis, not the proposed new model. It's the template for public comment analysis.
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:10) leon
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:10) as well
Jeff Neuman: (13:10) I can look at the staff accountablity if someone sends me the mode
Jeff Neuman: (13:11) Bernie - Can you send around the comments as well
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:12) I will prepare docs on the comments Jeff, assuming they are all in the PC tool
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:12) OK for SO AC accountability
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:12) sorry folk network issue - back now
Jan Scholte: (13:12) I'm willing to work with Leon on SO/AC acct
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:12) Jeff I will do so
Leon Sanchez: (13:12) agree
Jeff Neuman: (13:13) ok....i have not done this before, but I will try my best
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:13) I have no voice connection. CW
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:14) Greg can you restate who does what please
Jeff Neuman: (13:14) I have staff accountability with Leon as my #2
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:15) :-)
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:15) Brenda
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:15) I am disconnected
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:16) May you pls advise for dial up
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:16) Tks
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:16) KAVOUSS
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:16) please please please......
Brenda Brewer: (13:16) calling Kavouss
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:16) Diversity
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:16) May I have a dialout CW
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:16) I appreciate your confidence Greg!!!
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:16) 003284345332
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:17) I volunteered for soac
Brenda Brewer: (13:17) calling you CW
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:17) Note the next WP3 meeting is in 21 hours from now
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:17) its ok Bernard
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:18) jsut make sure the template is distrbiuted ASAP
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:18) good idea
Jeff Neuman: (13:18) I cannot be on the call tomorrow at that time, but will submit what i have before then
Keith Drazek: (13:18) I will send the WP1 template to Bernie if we want to review it.
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:19) damn
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:19) sorry
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:19) just make sure the template is distributed
Leon Sanchez: (13:19) we can't hear you Carlos
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:19) never mind
Jeff Neuman: (13:19) And when can I get a copy of the comments for my section?
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:19) just distribute the template ASAP
Keith Drazek: (13:20) Greg and Bernie, I just sent a filled-in template from WP1 to Bernie. Can we post it and just run through it so folks know what we're looking for?
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:20) There is parallel approaches then I wish to know the extent to which the SO and AC accountabilty could be studied7 discussed before we decides on Model
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:21) @Keith - will do
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:22) I would like to know the modality that we establish to examine the accountability of SO and AC to their community.Then who are those comm7unities
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:22) communities
Brenda Brewer: (13:23) Your line is open Kavouss
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:23) we are not hearing you Kavous
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:23) Bernard
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:24) something is worng with aduio
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:24) I ahve restarted my PC and no hope
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:24) and i have a good connection
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:24) so all ok Carlos
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:25) or no audio
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:25) ?
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:25) do you want a dial-out
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:26) I was connected and now disconnected
Keith Drazek: (13:26) +1 Greg. We must follow our process and document our analysis. We're creating a record.
Brenda Brewer: (13:27) We are trying to get Kavouss connected again.
Brenda Brewer: (13:27) Kavouss is now connected!
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:27) woops
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:28) now at least audio is back
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:28) good
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:28) thank you Keith!
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:28) good idea
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:32) gREG
Jeff Neuman: (13:32) yes, that helps
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:32) i WAS ON ADOBE TRYING TO EXPLAIN ONE OF THE BASIC PROBLEM OF so AND ac ACCOUNTABILITY TO THE COMMUNITIES
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:33) I raised a question to which there may be an answer
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:33) Kavous are you connected now?
Keith Drazek: (13:33) Great, thanks Greg. Makes sense.
Keith Drazek: (13:33) +1
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:33) Which 7 who are those communty 7 communities that SOs and ACs are / should acoountablwe
Keith Drazek: (13:34) ASO, GNSO, CCNSO, GAC, ALAC, SSAC, RSSAC
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:35) But pls kindly take it as a question
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:35) will work on it - need 2 minutes
Keith Drazek: (13:35) I think the question is, "How are each of those community structures accountable to their respective communities and to each other?"
Leon Sanchez: (13:36) Exactly Keith
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:36) Each GAC representative is accountable to the Government that designate that GAC member .then how the GAC as toto could be accountable to a paticular government
Jeff Neuman: (13:37) Kavuouss the same can be true for any representative of any organization? Employees are accountable to their employers, etc
Greg Shatan: (13:37) 500 Having reviewed and inventoried the existing mechanisms related to SO/AC accountability, it is clear that current need to be enhanced in light of the new responsibilities associated with the Work Steam 1 proposals. The CCWG-Accountability recommends the following steps:1. As part of Work Stream 1 proposals: o Include the review of SO and AC accountability mechanisms into the independent periodical structural reviews performed on a regular basis These reviews should include consideration on the mechanisms that each SO/AC, as the case may be, has in place to be accountable to their respective Constituencies, Stakeholder Groups, Regional At-Large Organizations, etc. o This recommendation can be implemented through an amendment of Section 4 of Article IV of the ICANN Bylaws, which currently describes the goal of these reviews as: The goal of the review, to be undertaken pursuant to such criteria and standards as the Board shall direct, shall be to determine (i) whether that organization has a continuing p
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:37) coming
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:37) If we mean that GAC would be raccountable to all Governments memnbers ogf GAC then such type of accountability can not be implemented and or examinied
Keith Drazek: (13:38) And the Registry Stakeholder Group Chair is fully accountable to the RySG membership. Every group has unique structures and challenges. We're being told that we need to develop SO/AC accountability further because some or all are not yet adequately accountable or representative.
Jeff Neuman: (13:38) Kavouss GAC members should be held accountable to the GAC in terms of standards of behavior, rules of engagement, etc. To say there can be no accountability is not exactly an accurate statement
Keith Drazek: (13:41) The GAC and RySG are unique examples because we have a pre-defined and finite "membership." Other groups are not so fortunate and have more difficult challenges in proving representation and accountability because their communities are more disparate or undefined.
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:43) It was said that GAC establishes rules to be accountable but TO whom ?
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:43) Keith ccNSO or ccTLDs at any ratre
Jeff Neuman: (13:44) GAC should be accountable to each other and to the INternet Community
Keith Drazek: (13:44) Yes Bernie. The Registrars as well. I didn't mean RySG and GAC exclusively, just examples.
Jeff Neuman: (13:45) I think we should be released to get our work done
Leon Sanchez: (13:45) agreed
Keith Drazek: (13:45) I have to drop shortly for another call.
Jan Scholte: (13:45) The review of existing accountability arrangements could be undertaken in Workstream 2. Undertaking it now would introduce undue delay?
Keith Drazek: (13:46) Thanks Greg. Your battlefield promotion was well-handled.
Jeff Neuman: (13:46) What is the mailing list just for WP 3
Brenda Brewer: (13:47) Wp3@icann.org
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:48) +1
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:48) I guess I am not yet on the WP· list. CW
Jan Scholte: (13:48) Apologies Leon and christopher, but I'll have to withdraw my support. I'm booked solid with meetings tomorrow until our next meeting. Don't have even 5 minutes free in the next 24 hours!
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:48) SOAC acct, staff acc, Diversity workbooks
Brenda Brewer: (13:50) See Link for PC2 tool here: https://community.icann.org/x/EY1CAw
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:50) original comments - http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15/
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:51) ctrl F on the sheet containing the original comments allows you to seach - use the commentator name
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:51) What was the reference to three baskets?
Leon Sanchez: (13:52) Areas of consensus, Areas of clarification or refinement and areas of divergence
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:53) Got it!
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:53) my question was not answered
Christopher Wilkinson: (13:53) Thankyou. Good evening. CW
Leon Sanchez: (13:53) Thanks Greg!
Leon Sanchez: (13:53) Thanks all for attending
Leon Sanchez: (13:53) my apologies for not being able to chair the call because of the background noise
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:55) what are those much larger community
Kavouss Arasteh: (13:55) yes
Bernard Turcotte Staff Support: (13:56) bye all
Leon Sanchez: (13:56) bye all
Leon Sanchez: (13:56) thnks!
Carlos Raul GNSO: (13:56) txs
Jan Scholte: (13:56) bye. thanks Greg
Greg Shatan: (13:56) Goodbye all, and thank you for tolerationg my "chair on the fly" act.