Status

Assignee(s)

Call for
Comments Open
Call for
Comments
Close 
Vote OpenVote CloseDate of SubmissionStaff Contact and EmailStatement Number
 Proposal for Armenian Script Root Zone‬ Label Generation Rules (LGR)No StatementNarine Khachatryann/an/an/an/an/aSarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain@icann.orgn/a

For information about this Public Comment, please click here 

FINAL VERSION TO BE SUBMITTED IF RATIFIED

The final version to be submitted, if the draft is ratified, will be placed here by upon completion of the vote. 

FINAL DRAFT VERSION TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE ALAC

The final draft version to be voted upon by the ALAC will be placed here before the vote is to begin.

FIRST DRAFT SUBMITTED

The first draft submitted will be placed here before the call for comments begins.

• No labels

2 Comments

1. The Proposal for Armenian Script Root Zone LGR (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/proposal-armenian-script-root-zone-lgr-04jun15-en.pdf) is generally reasonable.

Here are two remarks regarding the content of the proposal:  
    1. Much of the Armenian Diaspora in the world is concentrated in Russia, the US and France. Russia can be mentioned in the list of countries where the Armenian language is widely spoken. According to different estimations, the Armenian diaspora in Russia is estimated between 2.3 and 2.5 million people, while the population in Armenia was last recorded at 3 million people in 2014.

2. The first letter of the Armenian Alphabet, the letter AYB ‘ա’ and the Cyrillic letter ‘ш’ (SHA) can be considered as cross-script homoglyphs. As a symbol and term the Armenian AYB (Ա ա) corresponds to the Greek letter Alpha and is the most frequently used letter of the Armenian language. The letter AYB (Ա ա) is also used to denote the number 1 in Armenian. 
  2. I think that both of these remarks are factually correct.

1. WIKIPEDIA indeed indentified Russia as one country with a large Armenian Diaspora
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_diaspora
      (This information is corroborated by figures obtained independently on other Web sites that I checked)
    2. In my eyes, Armenian letter AYB ‘ա’ and the Cyrillic letter ‘ш’ (SHA) indeed look like cross-script homoglyphs. It is worth noting that pointing out cross-script homoglyphs is important due to the possibility of visual lconfusion not only by users of the script but indeed every Internet user.

I am unaware of any political dimension in pointing out (or not pointing out) either of these and would suggest that (a) the IDN Working Group discuss this and reach consensus on this, but also that (b) the ALAC Chair checks with all parties any political dimension that might evade our knowledge.