Draft Recommendation 9

That a formal Working Group leadership assessment programme be developed as part of the overall training and development programme.

Working Party (initial assessment of feasibility and usefulness): CG - Accept as is.
Staff (initial assessment of feasibility and usefulness):
  • Accept As-Is
  • Accept With modification
  • Reject

Rationale:

MK: Accept as-is (noting potential budget implications). Further details concerning what such an assessment programme is expected to contain would be helpful.

Basis for Assessment: 
Work in Progress:For possible Council discussion at next F2F "training" (Dublin), ICANN Academy, GNSO Learn
Expected Completion Date for Work in Progress: 
Milestones: 
Responsibility:GNSO Council

Public Comments Received

Comment #

Submitted By

Affiliation

Comment

Recommendation 9 (Continuous Development): That a formal Working Group leadership assessment programme be developed as part of the overall training and development programme.

Osvaldo Novoa

ISPCP

(Support) The ISPCP supports this Recommendation providing the emphasis is placed on training new or nonexperienced WG leaders or potential leaders. This approach should also be applied to potential GNSO Chairs and new chairs. Once appointment has been made it should be followed by a focused induction training session that has a standardized approach, establish to meet the demands of that position. The leadership problem in the GNSO is not limited to the Working Groups and, as a result, this recommendation should go beyond Working Groups and address leadership capacity and development throughout the GNSO.

Laura Covington, J. Scott Evans, Marie Pattullo

Business Constituency

The BC supports recommendation 9.

Greg Shatan

IPC

(Support)

Amr Elsadr

Agree with this recommendation. May also be worth considering adding questions to the working group self-assessment survey regarding the effectiveness of the WG leadership team.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond

ALAC

(Support) The Community-initiated Leadership Training Program of ICANN Academy should be expanded to train Working Group leaders. This recommendation comes at the core of enhancing GNSO effectiveness and provides added value to volunteers for learning valuable skills.

Stéphane Van Gelder, https://buenosaires53.icann.org/en/schedule/tue-bc/transcript-bc-23jun15-en

Business Constituency

But on the leadership succession planning, which I think is very important for bodies like the GNSO, did you or have you covered recommendations that would help with leadership succession planning? I chaired the GNSO a few years ago and I worked with a system that's the system in place today of two vice chairs and a chair. But that system happens almost by accident in that there are elections or  elections from each house for the vice chairs and for the chair is elected by the Council but these people may not have ever had leadership training of any kind or any experience of both the Council or the GNSO itself. That is a possibility. There's no succession planning of the leadership structures built into GNSO today. So I was just curious as to whether that was something that you either addressed or could.

Christian Dawson, https://buenosaires53.icann.org/en/schedule/tue-ispcp/transcript-ispcp-23jun15-en

ISPCP

I agree that there needs to be more support for the working group structure but I have had nothing but - now that I’ve gotten a chance to get into a couple working groups and gotten my hands dirty, I’ve had nothing but good experiences to say - with the ICANN staff supports the working group and the work product that comes out of them. That problems tend to be sort of like what you were saying, problems tend to be that we as a community end up circling back to the same question over and over again and end up feeling like we’re spinning our wheels and wasting our time as we disagree and don’t move on to the next subject and the next subject and the next subject. I think if we’re going to spend time addressing the working group problem what we should do is figure out when somebody signs up to be a chair or a co-chair what kind of leadership program we can put them into and what kind of framework we can use in order to help them move past that, to guide them to manage work product in the iterative way to get them - okay, we covered that. And literally get to the point where we can - if somebody won’t get off the same subject and is wasting everybody else’s time, find a way to shut their mic down or get them off that subject.

• No labels