Date: 6 October 2014 (13:00-14:30 UTC)

Attendees: 

Members: Wanawit Ahkuputra; Jaap Akkerhuis; Fouad Bajwa; Graeme Bunton; Fatima Cambronero; Olivier Crépin-Leblond; Avri Doria; Robert Guerra; Seun Ojedeji; Jonathan Robinson; Greg Shatan. 

ParticipantsGuru Acharya; Carolina Aguerre; Donna Austin; Martin Boyle; Derby Chipandwe; Alissa Cooper; Phil Corwin; Rafik Dammak; Stephanie Duchesneau; Amr Elsadr; James Gannon; Chuck Gomes; Alan Greenberg; Byron Holland; Susan Kawaguchi; Stacey King; Allan MacGillivray; Bill Manning; Kieren McCarthy; Jane Muthiga; Plamena Popova; Kris Seeburn; Imran Ahmed Shah; Matthew Shears; Mary Uduma; Suzanne Woolf; Jen Wolfe; Jiankang Yao. 

StaffGrace Abuhamad; Bart Boswinkel; Julia Charvolen; Marika Konings; Ariel Liang; Nathalie Peregrine. 

ApologiesKeith Davidson; Tony Holmes; Wolf-Ulrich Knoben. 

**Please let me (Grace) know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Proposed Agenda

The proposed agenda for this meeting is as follows:

1. Welcome & introductions 
  2. Review of CWG Charter (see https://community.icann.org/x/2grxAg)
  3. CWG Leadership structure & formation
  4. Outreach & participation, e.g. possible letter to IGC
  5. Logistics & practicalities
    • Timeline
    • Planning for F2F meeting in Los Angeles (possible engagement with ICG, topics for discussion – development of work plan, ICG RFP) 
  6. Confirm next steps & next meeting 

Action Items

1. All to review charter and all related materials (incl. IANA contract) in detail 
  2. Support to have co-chairs from ccNSO & GNSO - further consideration to be given to idea of having additional chairs and/or vice-chairs
  3. All participants to actively encourage and facilitate participation & input 
  4. Support for letter to ICG to seek assistance and co-operation from ICG to reach out beyond the ICANN community
  5. Chuck Gomes and Allan MacGillivray to submit suggestions to the list to commence work & work plan
  6. Staff to aggregate all relevant documents regarding policy issues contained in IANA contract (see also ICG RFP)

Transcript

The transcript is available here: Meeting1_6Oct2014.doc

AR: Meeting1_6Oct2014-ar.docx

ES: Meeting1_6Oct2014-es.doc

FR: Meeting1_6Oct2014-fr.doc

PT: Meeting1_6Oct2014-pt.doc

RU: Meeting1_6Oct2014-ru.docx

ZH: Meeting1_6Oct2014-ZH.doc

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording for today's call is available here: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p249g8lfadc/

The MP3 is available here: https://icann.box.com/shared/static/o3swlg3qacepu1fvzmne.mp3.

Slides

The slides presented on the call are available here: CWG Charter Presentation.pdf

The timeline document presented is available here: CWG Draft Timeline - 16 September 2014.doc

Chat Transcript

Marika Konings:Welcome to the first meeting of the CWG to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions on 6 October 2014

Marika Konings:Hello Mary - please note this meeting is not starting until 13.00 UTC.

Grace Abuhamad:Hello all! Just a reminder of  ICANN's Expected Standards of Behavior: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2012-05-15-en

James Gannon:Hi All, Ill be participating from the vortual room, not at a phone to dial in unfortunatly

Philip Corwin:Good morning all. FYI, I will need to leave the call after the first hour due to a prior commitment.

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

Jonathan Robinson:Hi All. There are various people with prior committments at the top of the hour. We can work to try to keep it to 60 mins

Matthew Shears:Afternoon/morning all

Seun Ojedeji:Hi all

Allan MacGillivray:Can I get the passcode for the dial in please?  Thansks

Marika Konings:CWG IANA

Amr Elsadr:I'm dialling in now.

Avri Doria:the people on AC

Fatima Cambronero:yes,

Chuck Gomes (RySG):I suggest that we call this the 'IANA Transition CWG' to not confuse it with what will possibly be an 'Accountability CWG'.

Greg Shatan:Good morning, all.

Fatima Cambronero:you missed my name

Avri Doria:i do not think i was mentioned in the roll call either

Mary Uduma:Can each speaker mention his/her name before speaking to enable us know who is speaking

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to ethics suggestion from Marry

Greg Shatan:Not sure I was mentioned either....

Marika Konings:We'll take note of everyone that has  joined during/after the roll call so you are all captured in the attendance list.

Stacey King:Good morning.  My apologies for being a few minutes late.

Robert Guerra:welcome all. On the phone line and joining via adobe as well.

Avri Doria:Jan 15 is the date the want it, which means it will already have to gone thought the chartering group approvals.

Seun Ojedeji:I may have missed something about the timeline...where is that timeline referred to?

Avri Doria:ICG made it schedule demand in the the RFP

Seun Ojedeji:i mean Byron mentioned there is a 15th jan timeline?

James Gannon:The timeslines need to be put on the wiki for people who have not been involved in the ICG work

Amr Elsadr:Is Marika breaking up for everyone, or is it just my line?

Alissa Cooper:timeline: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/icg-process-timeline-08sep14-en.pdf

Graeme Bunton:clear for me, Amr

James Gannon:Fine for me

Alissa Cooper:timeline graphic: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/icg-process-timeline-graphic-10sep14-en.xlsx

Greg Shatan:Sounds good to me.

Robert Guerra:clear for me - but i've calling in to the conference line

Amr Elsadr:OK. Thnx. Will dial back in.

Avri Doria:the AC is clear as well.

Byron Holland (ccNSO):I refer to the request by the ICG to receive inputs by no later than Jan  15

James Gannon:Thanks alissa

Alissa Cooper:np

Avri Doria:Byron, I was just noting that we can only deliver after the chartering groups have approved.  and do we need board buy in?

Seun Ojedeji:Oh...okay thanks Alissa now its clear what timeline is referred to (which is the ICG's)

Avri Doria:that would affect our time table.

Philip Corwin:Not familiar with ICG acronym -- what does it stand for?

Chuck Gomes (RySG):ICG - IANA Coordination Group

Philip Corwin:Thx

Alissa Cooper:see ianacg.org

Amr Elsadr:Folks made such a big deal about the term "observer"!! :P

Seun Ojedeji: IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:slow down please. Some people here are non native English speakers

Seun Ojedeji:Yeah @Amr and obviousely it won't hurt to make the necessary changes/update about the observer

Marika Konings:@Olivier - apologies about that....

Fatima Cambronero:@Marika, can you send this slide presentation to the mailing list? thanks

Byron Holland (ccNSO):Avri - yes, CWG agreement, then to respective SO/AC Councils for approval, then to ICG.  Charter silent on ICANN Board involvement.  I believe that it is in our interest to keep them apprised, but dont require approval.  Question for CWG to work through.  Your thoughts?

Mary Uduma:Please announce your name. Who is currently speaking?

Marika Konings:@Fatima - yes, will do

Amr Elsadr:@Seun. No harm. Just waisted bandwidth. The roles of observers/participants hasn't changed in the charter. I guess some people are just sensitive.

Marika Konings:Jonathan Robinson is currently speaking

Alissa Cooper:Is the version of the charter "circulated for adoption" the same as the final version?At https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/Charter

Chuck Gomes (RySG):All of us should become very familiar with the charter.

Guru Acharya:Will the call transcripts and mailing list archives be available to people who do not register as participants?

Seun Ojedeji:@Amr i think people were more about the word and not the content in the charter ;)

Marika Konings:@Alissa - yes that is correct

Alissa Cooper:thanks

Marika Konings:@Guru - Yes, these will be publicly posted

Guru Acharya:Great. Thanks.

James Gannon:And also extend that to a woking knowledge of the ICG's status/timelines

Avri Doria:Guru, i am sure they will be.  things generally are.

Fouad Bajwa:All these presentations should be uploaded to the CWG community page?

Marika Konings:Please also note that the information on the wiki is publicly available (https://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg)

Marika Konings:@Fouad - yes, they will be

Fouad Bajwa:cool

Avri Doria:maybe they are trying to get in the queue

Fouad Bajwa:In person meeting in LA?

Carolina Aguerre:Byron, thanks for raising this very valuable point about working on the document ofthe IANA contract. In this respect it would be very vaulable if ICANN would be able to supply translated versions of the contract into the other UN languages

Marika Konings:@Fouad - please note that a F2F meeting has been scheduled for Monday 13 October from 12.15 - 13.45 local time (http://la51.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-iana-stewardship-naming)

Fatima Cambronero:+1 @Carolina

Fouad Bajwa:@Markia is this only for the people that are getting to LA through their constituencies or there is specific arrangement to bring in more members that do not have travel support otherwise

Marika Konings:@Fouad - the meeting is open to anyone to attend that is in LA. For those that are not able to attend in person, there will be remote participation available.

Fouad Bajwa:@Marika noted

Robert Guerra:Let me make reference to SAC067 - Overview and History of the IANA Functions - which is available @ https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-067-en.pdf

Fouad Bajwa:On the issue of Co-Chairs or supporting/help, i think this should be an open role that whoever has extra time on their hands should be able to offer help

Fouad Bajwa:if you are going to choose co-chairs, they will have to come one each from every CWG chartering organization member

Fouad Bajwa:either leave the idea of Co-Chairs and let anyone willing to contribute more to contribute without assinging new roles or labels

Avri Doria:Do (co) chairs need to be from among the SOC appointed members of the group.  i think so.

Avri Doria:... SOAC appointed members ...

Fouad Bajwa:a CWG designed to draft and produce something shouldn't be bogged down with designations

Avri Doria:Fouad, neither shold it be burdened down with a protacted conversation about who becomes chair.

Fouad Bajwa:i wouldn't worry about chair

Fouad Bajwa:the chartering organizations of the CWG can decide one

Fouad Bajwa:to save this group time

Seun Ojedeji:@Fouad the chartering organisation? isn't that the CWG?

Graeme Bunton:Privacy & Proxy has a single chair, and 2 vice chairs, which is working quite smoothly

Fouad Bajwa:@Seun, i meant the organizations that have chartered the CWG :)

Kris Seeburn:@seun The original chartering org were GNSO & ccNSO and others groups were invited....

Avri Doria:Seun, the chartering organization are, the supporting organizations and advisory committees: alac, ccnso, gnso, ssac ...

Marika Konings:Note that the GAC has also adopted the charter now

Fouad Bajwa:I would only see this CWG working efficiently if we spend less of our meeting time on the call on issues such as chairs and co-chairs

Chuck Gomes (RySG):The ALAC and SSAC also chartered the CWG.

Fouad Bajwa:you can move this issue to the Mailing list

Seun Ojedeji:Yeah @Avri and they are part of the CWG so responding to fuoad saying we shoould leave it to the chatering organisation means same thing :)

Fouad Bajwa:At 42 minutes into a CWG full meeting, we are stuck on Co-Chair issues :) not productive folks :)

Fouad Bajwa:for a CWG with a tight schedule ;)

Guru Acharya:Hope we can reach out to the ccTLDs that do not actively participate in the ccNSO; and encourage them to participate in the process.http://domainincite.com/17113-cctld-anger-over-iana-group-capture

James Gannon:Support the idea of a formal letter to ICG defining the CWG and its aims and process

Fouad Bajwa:@Guru there are some politics involved generated by the ccTLD themselves as part of their business interest that prevents them to actively participate

Fouad Bajwa:and these date back to years and years of issues

Fouad Bajwa:lets hope they see the renewed importance because of iana issue now

Byron Holland (ccNSO):Guru - ccNSO is very actively reaching out to broader ccTLD community.  Working with Regional Organizations (ROs) as well as using the world ccTLD mailing list and creating a forum for all ccTLD operators/managers to engage in this discussion

Guru Acharya:Ok. Thanks.

Seun Ojedeji:@Chuck that was my point actually :)

Robert Guerra:In case it hasn't been done yet, might I please ask that calendar invites be sent with details of the meeting(s) we might have during the icann meeting. That way everyone can have it in thier calendars and schedule

Marika Konings:@Robert - a F2F meeting has been scheduled for Monday 13 October from 12.15 - 13.45 local time (http://la51.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-iana-stewardship-naming)

James Gannon:Yup would agree, its a blessing to have Alissas support of this CWG =)

Marika Konings:Remote participation details will be circulated shortly

Fatima Cambronero:I think if we want to facilitate participation and outreach, we have to offer interpretation in Spanish and French in these calls. Can we work on this?

Robert Guerra:for spanish engagement - happy to help. let me know

Avri Doria:1 month to develop a plan.  prety cool.

Carolina Aguerre:I share Fatima's concern. From an RO perspective working with the ccNSO in outreach, information and awareness, linguistic proximity is a real asset when trying to engage with communities that see this as a distant / difficul topic

Carlton Samuels:Oh music for the ages!

Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Robert. Can we have Spanish and French interpretation for next calls?

Alan Greenberg:Musical interlude!

Seun Ojedeji:Who is speaking now....someone said you should be slow ealier ;)

Alan Greenberg:Marika

James Gannon:It would prob be best to ask for translation services in the UN languages to be provided, same as with the ICG translations

Philip Corwin:So the actual time available to publish a plan is one month? To call that ambitious would be an understatement.

Matthew Shears:Are there opportunities for additional meeting time in LA?  Better to get the work underway as much as posisble next week.

Chuck Gomes (RySG):We should accept the fact that it is not possible to meet the Jan 15 target while at the same time working as expeditiously as possible.

Robert Guerra:do we want to try to have an meeting of the group - outside the schedule of the icann meeting, say dinner?

Avri Doria:we can meet each monrining at 6am

Avri Doria:if we need extra time, that is the only time there is

Byron Holland (ccNSO):Jonathan / Byron already sent formal letter to ICG highlighting the "ambitious" timeline and requesting for it to go beyond Morrocco meeting.  We were politely declined, but I think this schedule serves to reinforce the need.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:will the group meet F2F at any time between LA and the time it is going to give its report to the ICG?

Greg Shatan:We may wish to consider 2 hour calls rather than 90 minutes.

Avri Doria:does the coorindating group drive the schedule, or are they repsonsible for coordinating the actual realities of the organiation that must design the solutions.

Guru Acharya:Is there going to be a public dropbox for collaboration and coordination of the draft? Or does it happen on a wiki? Im curious how collaboration works for this process?

Seun Ojedeji:I am just thinking wild here...can this CWG not create an internal call for proposal and then this CWG work on reviewing towards developing an actual proposal...maybe that will further distribute the workload

Fouad Bajwa:google docs anyone?

Byron Holland (ccNSO):Allan is willinag and able to initiate this work.

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Gdocs

Avri Doria:google docs or ehterpads (MoPads) arre great.

James Gannon:+1 Google Docs, or  any other public medium that allows all participants to contribute to document reviews/revisions

Avri Doria:therre are also a fair number of existing proposal that might be worth using as fodder for our discussions.

Seun Ojedeji:@Greg, i think we can do a lot on the mailing list also....for instance i was only able to adequately join this meeting because i am in a better signal area (due to public holiday). So if we have people who can ping us often on the list...i think it will be good

Robert Guerra:+1 to put together set of reference material for this group to review. Set of high level items to review before LA would be ideal

Seun Ojedeji:I am not sure there is really need to meet with the ICG since there is going to be a general community meet-up with them. If there is such opportunity i suggest we use it to meet instead and get real work done

Chuck Gomes (RySG):I agree with Seun.

Allan MacGillivray:+1

Stacey King:Apologies.  I need to jump off the line.  I look forward to working with everyone.

Guru Acharya:IETF call running in parallel. Not cool.

Grace Abuhamad:Alissa's response to Jonathan's and Byron's letter: https://community.icann.org/x/_B7xAg

James Gannon:Yes can we look at scheduling for future calls and conflicts with other ICG workstreams

Greg Shatan:@Seun, I agree, but not to the exclusion of having 2-hour calls.  If we follow Marika's workplan, we only have 6 (!) calls after LA.

Avri Doria:dropping now as well to go to ietf call

Chuck Gomes (RySG):We should start thinking about meeting days and times as well as alternatiing meeting times to accommodate different time zones.

Greg Shatan:Need to coordinate with IETF in future....

Greg Shatan:on meeting times.

Philip Corwin:Bye all/see you in LA, safe travel

Seun Ojedeji:@Greg the thing with 2hours call is whether folks won't be tired by then

Seun Ojedeji:I am going to ask to drop off to another webex meeting...(which already started)

Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Olivier for raising the issue of interpretation

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Olivier's observations

Imran Ahmed SHAH:+1 to Olivier's both Questions

Seun Ojedeji:Okay i need to wait for this response :)

Chuck Gomes (RySG):Thanks Jonathan and all.

Greg Shatan:I was on IGO/INGO WG which did 2 hour calls for an entire year.  It worked.

James Gannon:If required can we ask on list for the provision of tranlation services to be provided by ICANN?

Carolina Aguerre:Bye all

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks Jonathan

Robert Guerra:thanks all

James Gannon:thanks all

Matthew Shears:thanks!

Bart Boswinkel:By eall

Seun Ojedeji:and thanks al

Jaap Akkerhuis:By all,

Martin Boyle:Thanks

Seun Ojedeji:cheers

Graeme Bunton:thanks all

Kris Seeburn:thanks all

Mary Uduma:Bye All

Greg Shatan:Bye all.

Fatima Cambronero:thanks all, bye

Byron Holland (ccNSO):Thanks Jonathan and all

Allan MacGillivray:Thanks everyone.  Good day.

Robert Guerra:bye all

• No labels