Kathy Schnitt:Welcome to the NARALO Outreach Event WG Teleconference

Murray McKercher:good morning

Kathy Schnitt:Good Morning Murray and Welcome!

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Hello all

Kathy Schnitt:Hello Silvia

Murray McKercher:no voice but switching compters and a dial out would be helpful to 4168033183

Kathy Schnitt:I will ask Adigo to dial out to you

Garth Bruen:Hello all

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Garth

Evan Leibovitch:just lurking

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Welcome Eduardo!

Ogi Mitev:hi, what is the conf bridge number?

Eduardo Diaz:¡Hola a todos!

Murray McKercher Toronto:I am now on ac and my mobile, usually better to use the phone system for voice and AC for data, depending ones one bandwidth :)

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:welcome Evan and all

Evan Leibovitch:I am not dialed in. I can listen through adobe but was not planning to talk.

Evan Leibovitch:Anything I need to say I can put here.

Evan Leibovitch:I can take a break from talking for a while

Louis Houle:Hi eveyone

Monique Chartrand:Hi group !

Murray McKercher Toronto:bonjour Tout le monde

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Louis and Monique

Evan Leibovitch:It was a very good talk from Vint in SF.

Evan Leibovitch:He he. The drinks were served before the speeches. That was an important lesson learned -- don't do that ;-)

Murray McKercher Toronto:goo d point evan

Louis Houle:Hi Kathy

Evan Leibovitch:Exactky

Gisella Gruber:It was noisy with everyone drinking

Loris Taylor:Will each organization have a table or do we share space?

Evan Leibovitch:I think the sponsors were Google and Affilias.

Garth Bruen:No, sorry

Kathy Schnitt:Garth would you like us to dial out to you?

Garth Bruen:Can't take a call now

Garth Bruen:Double booked

Evan Leibovitch:I don't recall each ALS having a table. However, during the speeches every ALS rep had an ability to present on their ALS. I recall that at least one ALS had a prepared video.

Kathy Schnitt:@Garth, thank you!

Evan Leibovitch:In the SF one there were few "introductory" speeched, but with every ALS presenting on their activities the total did take a while.

Eduardo Diaz:ALs took a while.

Eduardo Diaz:We can do a video from each RAlO and control the presentation time that way

Ogi Mitev:Who organized the APRALO/NARALO/EURALO/LACRALO/AFRALO Outreach event on Tuesday night in London?

Evan Leibovitch:Some other RALOs have done this by having a rotating slideshow preoejcet during the event, with each ALS given a slide or two to describe themselves. Some used photos too.

Eduardo Diaz:@Ogi: Glenn

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:The event is from 18:30-20:30 pm. https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Meetings+-+Wednesday%2C+15+October+2014+Workspace

Evan Leibovitch:Glenn is right. We had people sitting at the ALAC-layout table in toronto, but the others had to stand.

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:APRALO had a very nice video with all ALSes and it worked well

Evan Leibovitch:I agree fully. Heighlight some ALSs... especially the new ones who have joined since Toronto. But don't bering all of them on.

Heidi Ullrich:+1 Murray

Louis Houle:Is it ever really short?

Loris Taylor:I apologize.  AZ is experiencing a huge storm and my internet connection is weak.

Evan Leibovitch:So two-phase (1) slideshow of all ALSs, speeches from just the new ones.

Murray McKercher Toronto:+1 Evan

Eduardo Diaz:@Evan: still the new ones can take a long time

Loris Taylor:Will do..  Just tell me what I need to do

Evan Leibovitch:It's still a good idea to intrioduce our new faces.

Eduardo Diaz:@Evan: INtroducing them is great is allowing them to give a speech what may take a long time

Evan Leibovitch:Then we put limits on the speech: intriduce who you are and what your ALS does, then move on :-)

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:@ Glenn and all, I am noting down all the main agreements and a person in charge in the Action items

Eduardo Diaz:@Evan: limits on the speech is relative. Once in the podium who decides when to turn off the microphone

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Re speakers please if you would like Fadi/Steve we need to ask them to come in advance and set a time for them

Ogi Mitev:we want to have a keynote speaker

Ogi Mitev:+ NARALO showcase

Loris Taylor:I am open to a keynote speaker at the front of the program. 

Evan Leibovitch:Personally, I would like to take care of two speeches at once. I would like to propose Rinalia, our Board-member-elect, to both introduce herself to the community and to give a (reasonably brief) speech on a specific topic "the challenge of  getting the public interest heard in ICANN"

Murray McKercher Toronto:I do think a speaker is important and a good draw, but she/he should be know to teh audience and re busget it should be a local LA based person

Ogi Mitev:we can do Vint again

Evan Leibovitch:At this point my ideas is that a good speaker and a good topic is more impoprtant than celebrity

Murray McKercher Toronto:how about Elon Musk?

Evan Leibovitch:Another option: Kathy Brown of the Internet Society, who will already be there.

Eduardo Diaz:Vint is always a good choiice specially if  he comes prepare to talk about the IANA transition and the impoprtance of the booroim up approach to the transition which incudes organizations as At-large

Murray McKercher Toronto:+ 1 for vint and Rinalia

Evan Leibovitch:Shot in the dark: Larry Strickling?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:However Glenn we need to know if you would like Fadi/Steve so we can invite him

Evan Leibovitch:Steve and Fadi MUST be invited as a matter of courtesy

Murray McKercher Toronto:suggest we invite for sure

Ogi Mitev:we should invite Fadi/Steve

Eduardo Diaz:Rinalia will be a good choice. However, I do not know how mnay poeple will she draw to the event

Evan Leibovitch:Steve's speecehes are always good and short.

Garth Bruen:Need to focus on speakers who can inspire our membership. Fewer discussions about ICANN policy.

Ogi Mitev:to get attention

Murray McKercher Toronto:I am sure staff could help focus Fadi :)

Ogi Mitev:I think what we did in London was great

Ogi Mitev:can we do the same?

Louis Houle:Old hand

Heidi Ullrich:So on the roster: Steve Crocker, Fadi Chehadi, and Rinalia?

Evan Leibovitch:Fadi will talk too long

Heidi Ullrich:@Evan, we can let him know only 5 mins

Evan Leibovitch:IMO.

Garth Bruen:California is where the net was born, can we get someone who can speak on THAT who also is engaged in the community???

Evan Leibovitch:Steve has always been good with nice brief speeches.

Loris Taylor:I like the focus on Naralo. 

Ogi Mitev:we just need to set an expection with Fadi for 5 min

Monique Chartrand:maybe we can use some Art of Hosting process, blends a suite of powerful conversational processes to invite people to step in and take charge of the challenges facing them.

Louis Houle:@ Garth: good idea

Garth Bruen:Steve is too much on the technical, I feel his talk about public access to the net is lacking.

Murray McKercher Toronto:I am sure Fadi can appreciate a short speech, and i think his attendance is important or maybe there for socializing and networking

Evan Leibovitch:I still like getting Rinalia (or someone else who has worked their way up through At-Large leadership) who can both inform and inspire.

Evan Leibovitch:Alternate: Roberto Gaetano.

Heidi Ullrich:How about the Next ALAC Chair?

Garth Bruen:Fadi speaks of globalization of ICANN and it is completely vague - often not specific to north american users.

Evan Leibovitch:OMG. Of COURSE!!!

Murray McKercher Toronto:various board members may also enjoying background networking

Evan Leibovitch:Alan.

Evan Leibovitch:MUST be

Evan Leibovitch:From North American

Garth Bruen:Be a good chance for Alan to introduce himself

Evan Leibovitch:Endlessly positive

Murray McKercher Toronto:+1 for Alan

Louis Houle:Alan knows many stories on ICANN birth and growth.

Murray McKercher Toronto:stories are better than speeches IMHO

Evan Leibovitch:Agreed.

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:•         At Large Budget is $1,160 in the budget for the RALO showcase. 

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:We will need additional funds in the amount of $4,500 to cover the event, plus any other amount to pay for entertainment.

Garth Bruen:Like I mentioned in previous calls, would like to see someone who struggled with Internert use or access and ultimately succeded.

Eduardo Diaz:@GArth: Anyone in mind?

Ogi Mitev:can we get money from ISOC ?

Louis Houle:@ Garth and Eduardo: Garth, you suggested a candidate during our last call, no?

Ogi Mitev:or from the individual ALS?

Evan Leibovitch:How many NA ALSs are ISOC chapters?

Evan Leibovitch:The link is obvious.

Eduardo Diaz:@Evan: Specially if we invite KAthy to tal to us

Louis Houle:@ Evan: Is there any chapter how is not an ALs

Evan Leibovitch:ISOC DC explicitly voted not to be an SLA

Evan Leibovitch:ALS

Loris Taylor:I would suggest Wab Kinew.  He is from one of the Canadian Tribes.  He can speak to internet access etc. among Native Americans.

Louis Houle:Correection: Is there any chapter who is not an ALs?

Garth Bruen:Having a bad connection glenn

Evan Leibovitch:Hmm. The "Olympic Room". Do the IOC's trademark lawyers know about this?

Murray McKercher Toronto:I heard a speaker recently in Toronto, who was blinded as a teenager through a car accidient abnd now uses wearbale tech to both see th ereal workld and connect with the virtual world through the internet, but she does live in Hamilton, near Toronto

Evan Leibovitch:With zero budget to bring people to the event, unfortunately we are lijmietd to those already at the meeting.

Loris Taylor:Jacqueine Johnson-Pata is also a good speaker.   She is the Executive Director of the National Congress of American Indians and can speak to internet access as well as the use of social media to address the anti-redskins campaign

Heidi Ullrich:@Loris, where is she based?

Loris Taylor:Washington DC.  And she will have the budget to travel to LA. 

Ogi Mitev:are we doing the event on Wednesday night?

Murray McKercher Toronto:should bring thos great roll up banners from ondon

Loris Taylor:NPM can assist Wab Kinew.

Murray McKercher Toronto:london

Ogi Mitev:the Gala is on Wednesday night

Heidi Ullrich:@Murray, we will have the NARALO banner

Heidi Ullrich:@Ogi, the gala is on Monday night

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:silvia.vivanco@icann.org: The event is from 18:30-20:30 pm. https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Meetings+-+Wednesday%2C+15+October+2014+Workspace

Ogi Mitev:how is that going to work?

Eduardo Diaz:@Ogi the gala is Monday

Evan Leibovitch:Gala is Monday

Ogi Mitev:thanks

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:We would need to set some deadlines as we have only few weeks left

Heidi Ullrich:@Thanks, Loris.

Loris Taylor:You are welcome.  When will a decision be made so that we can contact individuals if we need to?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Are you thinking about some promotional materials (such as key holders, pens, lanyards, pins, etc?)

Louis Houle:@ Glenn: It worked great in Toronto!

Evan Leibovitch:Nothing wrong with a offering hangout if the space allows., IMO.

Heidi Ullrich:@Glenn, we can create a sign up sheet for volunteers for the outreach activity

Heidi Ullrich:on the wiki

Murray McKercher Toronto:Could we also offer the physical hangout on a google hangout ?

Ogi Mitev:do we want to order NARALO t-shirts

Ogi Mitev:?

Evan Leibovitch:IMO: first priority - business cards

Heidi Ullrich:Promotional items would need to  be funded through a sponsor

Evan Leibovitch:2nd priority - lapel pins

Heidi Ullrich:I think we might be able to provide NARALO  business cards

Murray McKercher Toronto:imo a mobile event app :)

Ogi Mitev:do we have a NARALO logo?

Ogi Mitev:that we can share

Evan Leibovitch:A business card, especially one containing a QR code to point to the NARALO website

Heidi Ullrich:@Ogi, the logo is  the At-Large logo with NARALO on the bottom

Heidi Ullrich:Re QR coding - that is what APRALO did

Murray McKercher Toronto:+1 QR codes, very simple to do

Evan Leibovitch:There is an At-Large logo, we can do that and add the yellow theme for NARALO

Ogi Mitev:Heidi, can you send me the file?

Heidi Ullrich:@Ogi, sure. Will do

Evan Leibovitch:Yes, I forget what the AP card looked like

Ogi Mitev:eps format

Loris Taylor:Bio for Jacqueline Johnson-Pata.  http://www.ncai.org/about-ncai/ncai-leadership/jacqueline-johnson-executive-director

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Once per week seems good

Heidi Ullrich:I would suggest weekly calls from now on

Gisella Gruber:Next week - Monday at same time? 1600 UTC?

Louis Houle:next week

Heidi Ullrich:We are about one month away!

Evan Leibovitch:No opinoion from me

Monique Chartrand:ok

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:I will send the AIs to the outreach mail liist

Murray McKercher Toronto:can we do 30 minutes?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:so we all know what  we need to do

Gisella Gruber:@ Glenn - yes

Gisella Gruber:Monday 15 September at 1600 UTC

Evan Leibovitch:Can trhe speaker agreement not be done in real time on a skype chat?

Murray McKercher Toronto:Great, thuis meeting has been greatr thanks

Gisella Gruber:15th

Ogi Mitev:Colorado ISOC ALS is coming

Gisella Gruber:11am EST

Garth Bruen:Have to drop

Gisella Gruber:8am PDT

Loris Taylor:Thank you!!

Eduardo Diaz:Gracias.

Eduardo Diaz:Adios

Ogi Mitev:thank you!

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks!

Evan Leibovitch:bye!