You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 4 Next »

At-Large Statement of Interest (SOI) Form

1) Please enter your Name:

Peter T. Knight, Ph.D.

2) Picture/Image:
(Instructions: Click in the field to the right to open up the text input window. Then click the <Insert> menu button, select <Image>, then choose (or browse) to locate an image file (e.g., JPG, PNG, BMP) from your local computer to upload. After insertion, please click on the picture and adjust the size to no larger than 200 pixels). 

3) Are you participating in the At-Large advisory process (including email and real-time discussions) as a representative of:

a) ALAC (if so, detail the region and term):

b) A Regional At-Large Organization (RALO) (if so, please detail the region, position and term):

Yes, NARALO as an individual member through participation in Skype chats and the listserv.

c) An ICANN-accredited At-Large Structure (if so, which one):

Capital Area Globetrotters

d) Any ICANN Committee, Constituency or Stakeholder Group (if so, which one(s))?

e) Any other company or organization, whether commercial or nonprofit (if so, please detail the organization and your position):

4) Please identify your current employer(s):

Independent consultant on ICT4D and sustainability/sufficiency matters, Fernand Braudel Institute of World Economics (São Paulo)

5) Please identify your current position(s):

Independent consultant, but have worked as a member of a team with such consulting firms as Developing Markets Group, PTS Data Center Solutions, Astro Systems, and Hellerstein & Associates. Member of the Board of Directors, Fernand Braudel Institute of World Economics

6) Please identify the type(s) of work performed:

Consult with state ICT companies on matters related to statewide fiber optic and wireless networks; Write in-depth analyses of matters such as broadband networks, development banks for specialized publications; and Edit and write books on ICT4D – 8 published since 2004 (see my Linkedin page (http://br.linkedin.com/in/petertknight) for details.

7) Please identify your declared country of primary residence:

USA

8) Please list any financial relationship beyond de minimus stock ownership you may have with any company that to your knowledge has a financial relationship or contract with ICANN:

None

9) Please identify any other relevant arrangements, interests, or benefits as requested in the following two questions:

a) Do you, your employer, and/or sponsor have any type of material or financial interest in the At-Large advisory process and its outcomes?

No

If the answer is “Yes,” please describe the interest:

b) Are there any arrangements/agreements between you and any other group, constituency or person(s) regarding your participation as a work team member?

Yes

If the answer is “Yes,” please describe the arrangements/agreements and the name of the group, constituency, or person(s):

I currently work as a member of a team led by PTS Data Center Solutions and Developing Markets Group advising the Rio de Janeiro State ICT company (PRODERJ) on a new data center and broadband connectivity to support it. I am a member of teams organized under Developing Markets Group (http://www.devmarkets.com/) with executing USTDA-funded technical assistance projects with state ITC companies in Rio de Janeiro and Ceará and have a proposal to the State of Pará in Brazil to analyze existing state broadband networks including business models, expansion plans, potential partners and financing of expansion plans. I have completed in-depth analyses of the Broadband infrastructure in Brazil for the Fernand Braudel Institute of World Economics and published extensive articles in its publication, Braudel Papers No. 48 on this research. I have also published, in May 2014, a book entitled The Internet in Brazil: Origins, Strategy, Development, and Governance (English and Portuguese versions) with a preface by Vint Cerf. None of these commitments conflict with any responsibilities I may have with ALAC, NARALO, or ISOC.

10) Please identify any Working Groups or other chartered teams in which you are participating (include acronyms, if applicable):

ALAC Social Media Working Group

11) Additional information (optional):

My primary interest in NARALO and ALAC is internet governance issues, above all the preservation of the multi-stakeholder system. I also have a good knowledge of distance education and continuing professional education – first through my work leading the World Bank's external training in National Economic Management for six years, then through leading the Bank's Electronic Media Center that I established, and later as an independent consultant working on distance education and e-learning projects in Pakistan, Bahrain, and Brazil. 

I have extensive experience working in international organizations (World Bank – over 20 years, UNDP - consultant, and OECD). I have an interdisciplinary education (AB in government and international relations); BA in philosophy, politics and economics; MA and PhD in economics) and have been working on policy issues most of my professional life, including
the use of ICTs to promote sustainable economic, social, and political development since 1992.

I have experience working in different languages and cultures. I speak, understand, read and write in English (native speaker); French, Portuguese and Spanish (fluent); and Russian (good speaking and understanding at least in technical fields, limited reading and poor writing). 

I was involved in early work involving the Internet in Russia via several conferences, contacts with individuals and publications; in Africa (a) through participation in several international conferences organized by UNECA, ITU and UNESCO and (b) production of several videos on the development of the Internet in Ethiopia, South Africa, Senegal, and Egypt and a combination one building on all the above (Building Africa's Information Highway); and in Brazil through leadership of the e-Brasil project in (3 books published, presentations in a large number of conferences). In Brazil I have also worked extensively as a consultant on ICT4D issues and published a book on the Internet in Brazil praised by Brazilian and international Internet authorities. I participated in ICANN (ICANN 45 in Toronto), ISOC-DC and ISOC-Brazil events, with a focus on Internet governance issues.

I believe that my international experience in policy formation and advisory positions qualifies me for the kind of work I would like to do in the ALAC and NARALO contexts. I do not claim any real expertise in the more technical aspects of the DNS, etc., but have been learning the rudiments through participation in ISOC, ICANN, and NARALO listserves and events. 

12) Page last revised:

===========================

At-Large SOI Template v3 (Feb 2014)

• No labels