You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 39 Next »

Reports submitted by At-Large community members who covered non-At-Large events at the ICANN Durban meeting. Please note that reports will be posted after the meeting begins. 

MeetingDate and TimeAssignee and RALOReport
DNS Women BreakfastMonday 15Sylvia Herlein - LACRALODNS Women again showed their strength,   convening more than 70 women from the various components of the industry, governments and civil society in the internet related in traditional breakfast on Mondays.
It was announced the launch for ( next week) July 21st, 2013 del site http://www.dnswomen.org/
but if you want more information can be found in http://www.facebook.com/groups/Dnswomen/
ALAC MeetingsSunday14Glenn McKnight-NARALO

A very interesting comment by Steve Crocker today on the hard work of ALAC , his comments were recorded and posted to the website

 

Pictures of the ICANN ALAC Meetings, GNSO, NCUC and more

i

 Wed to Fri 13Glenn McKnight-NARALO

Various NCUC short video clips at the 1st School of African Internet Governance

http://youtu.be/f9UyM_tjS5w

Just to get short  NCUC  clips  up to Youtube quickly  I have  posted two short clips  
One from Bill Drake and another by Wolfgang
 Sun. 14Glenn McKnight-NARALO

Presentation by Dev on LUCID MEETING as an effective tool for meetings

http://www.slideshare.net/ChrisGift/lucid-meetingscommittees-tech

Video pending on Youtube

Dev Anand Teelucksingh

 

 Sun 14Glenn McKnight-NARALO

Livestreaming the ISOC event tonight

http://new.livestream.com/internetsociety/isocaticann47

Pictures of event posted to Flickr

The event was two hours long and well attended by ISOC members around the World. The outgoing Chair had interesting comments

Animoto video clip

http://animoto.com/play/b7jbcXEYEx2YwAWCzTXdqQ

 

 

 Mon 15Glenn McKnight

DNS and Women

Pictures and Videos taken of event

 Mon 15Glenn McKnight

Online Learning Platform

Discussion of the ICANN Academy, discussion on proceeding on the platform

Speak to Siva or myself about the MOODLE which was created 1 -1/2 year ago

 

 Mon 15GlennNomcom meetings for rest of day and meeting the ATRT2 group reviewing the stock of questions for NOMCOM, session chaired by Brian of PRI

Meeting Strategy

Working Group

Mon 15

13:30 - 15:00

Sylvia Herlein &

Eduardo Díaz

We had a very successful brainstorming meeting. Many ideas were generated in relation to ways of structuring future ICANN meetings. X Plane consultors helped facilitate the meeting.

ICANN Press

Conference

Mon 15

16:30 -

17:30

Eduardo DíazI was invited to participate in this event as one of the observers of the Meeting Strategy Working Group. Present at the conference were: Dr. Stephen Crocker, Fadi Chehadé, Dr. Nii Quaynor and Peter Dandjinou.
BOARD and ALAC9 amGlenn M

Photos taken at meeting and working group reports to board.

Amazing dialogue between Steve Crocker and Fadi surprized everyone as to it's frankness and directness. It was encouraging to hear the commitment to the stakeholder involvement It was refreshing to hear to honesty and encouraging for ALAC

Only photo regretfully

 11Glenn

ccNSO Presentation on finances of ccnSO by Bryon Holland

Photos and video

 12Glenn

Presentations by Nomcom

Participated from the NARALO representative as to future training of NOMCOM reps

 2Glenn

Presentation by ALAC Chairs

Garth's presentation emphasized the three issues. Aboriginal Internet Access, Digital Rights of the Disabled and Privacy Issues

Video posted Youtube  

At-Large Multi-Stakeholder Policy Roundtable

Monday, 15 July 2013 14:00- 16:00

Garth

Excellent presentation by Karaitiana Taiuru on Indigenous Groups’ Perspective

ATRT2 meeting with the SSAC Mon, 15 July 2013 07:30 - 08:30Dev Anand Teelucksingh

SSAC members commented on the ATRT2 questions

Lot of discussion on Q1 (whether GNSO PDP is effective for developing gTLD policy)

SSAC chair mentioned that an issue is that it is silo based rather than topic based, and that cross constituency input/deliberations on issues don't happen or happens too late whereever the process is being developed. Examples of possible issues : new gTLDs, IDN ccTLD Fast Track

Steve Crocker mentioned a report just published on the internal SSAC list on the issue of conflict of names used on internal networks being
deployed in the root was cited as an example.

This issue was mentioned by SSAC that such research was needed at the time of the initial root scaling survey for new gTLDs but was not done until now. Why did this take so long from a ATRT perspective?

Alan noted that cross community deliberations is mentioned in the AoC but not done by ICANN AC/SOs

Lyman C - when community centred processes such as GNSO PDP, in spite of cross-community and talking to to other ACs and SOs, there is a tendency by the AC/SO to complete the work internally. perhaps there needs to be mechanisms in the AC/SO PDP processes that requires input by other AC/SO groups before any AC/SO can publish reports.


SSAC is working on disclosure interests policy so that members' interests are disclosed in an open way and for others to see who was involved and affiations in SSAC reports

SSAC chair mentioned that the SSAC has not ever been blocked/held back by ICANN legal to publish their reports. Reports may not be published as scheduled if there is not encough consensus.

Discussion on SSAC Accountability and Transparency -

  •  SSAC default is issues/reports/discussions are closed to the SSAC and not public - Should this be open?
  • Many SSAC persons said this should not change - having it open/public would inhibit SSAC members from posting/contributing to SSAC discussions in a frank manner
NOMCOMALL DAYGlenn McKnight

We are doing extensive deep dives and interviews with ICANN Board candidates. Very interesting candidates. Excellent candidates for the new board

We are working all day and tomorrow on interviews and Friday and Saturday is the selection process

NARALOGeneralGarth BruenIn addition to our meeting I am helping coordinate our regional elections with staff. I have remarked to staff that election details must also be sent en Français aussi
ALAC/NCSG

12:30-14:00

Wed, 17

Natalia Enci
Themes:  1. Joint Statement in TMCH in Beijing. 2. Request to return friday meetings. 1.The concern is the process. The real problem is that process that was follow by the CEO to gather a few people in a room without proper stakeholder participation, Not in complete agreement with the people that did participate in that process. The board approve the TMCH+50. You get to block 50 other names. The board ignore the request. The independent review process costs millions of dollars. Follow thorug the Community engagemente process. File an independent review process. Ask Icann to funding in the same way they are funding ALAC independent process. The CEO is restructuring the whole organization. Take a stand that this is a very crucial component. The creation of a division of implementation of a gold that is free of the stakeholder process, is problematic. We are going to isolate part of the process from the mulstistakholder model. It is the whole mulstistakeholder process that is being threaten by creating isolating division. The presidential committee that set the roadmap is another problem./ would like to see more information about how this is going to work. Understood is an operational part of ICANN. Contractual work. Ask the Board and FAdi and tema to produce a document that clearly define the work. The channel and bridges that connect. / have alarm bells ringing. / The MS is a complete work of ICANN, not a segment a ICANN. We are Icann. Alac can give advice on anything./ Be vigilant./ Say in the public forum. Joint statement, proper engagement process procedure. / Whish to first see evidence before raising a flag. / Produce a joint statement. /Alac have to take it back to other members. Statement that might have come from the alac in the future, asking for documents. 
Leadership MeetingThursday 8AM

Garth Bruen

Glenn McKnight

Reported on NARALO activities, made the issue of updating the ALS application form a Inter-RALO item and will be moving forward with a multi-RALO subgroup to create a new online form.

Also suggestion we use a short INTEREST FORM I shared with the group a GOOGLE FORM

Leadership MeetingThursday 8AMGarth BruenMade the action item "On a March 18 2013 ALAC briefing call on RAA changes staff (Margie Milam and Sam Eisner) were asked to identify ICANN's economic advisors and provide the economic study document that was the basis for changes to RAA 3.3.6 and 3.3.7, Will At-Large staff please forward this request again?" an ALAC action item from the Durban meeting.
Informal meeting with Chris MondiniSaturdayGarth BruenAll present NARALO members met with the new VP of North American Stakeholder Relations Chris Mondini
Informal Meeting with CEOSunday NightGarth BruenAll RALO leaders met with ICANN CEO - there was no policy discussion on introductions
NomcomThursdayGlenn

Nomcom meeting all day with candidates

 

ALL Glenn

Pictures and Video of various ICANN events are posted on FLICKR and Youtube

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennmcknight/sets/72157634615855149/

We need to discuss all the pictures and videos collected how to how handle this content in the future.

As an example at Afralo showcase I have videod all the speakers. What can be done with this content?

 

 

ATLAS IIThursday 12:30 - Room 12ABGarthNot on calendar - unscheduled meeting to discuss preparation for ATLAS II in London June 2014

Africa Untethered – the Era of Digital Africa

Wednesday July 17

Gordon Chillcott

I was only able to attend the second half of this meeting. This was a panel of African business people/entrepreurs, discussing their experiences and lessons learned.

The panelists covered a number of points describing their business environment, including the role (or lack of it) of their governments, the state of the technical infrastructure and the needs that startup businesses are trying to meet. The business goal is always value-add with the Internet at its core and providing a viable value proposition.

There were some remarkable success stories, including in one case the intruduction of “mobile money” to meet the needs of the rural population. This success required a number of years of negotiation with the nation's banks.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION

I came into this meeting expecting to be impressed, as I always am with the achievements on that continent. I came away from it not a little humbled.

Academy Working Group

Monday July 15

Gordon Chillcott

This meeting began with a presentation of the Online Learning Platform. This platform was originally called the “online education platform” and became the Online Learning Platform (OLP).

The OLP is to be implemented in three phases, beginning with a pilot system to be presented in Buenos Aires. The final OLP will be delivered as a personalized portal incorporated into myICANN. Moodle is the platform: it is open source and has global support so that there are local sources of support.

There was an observation that the Online Learning Platform needs to not be a stand-alone offering. This needs to be fully part of the on-line engagement experience.

Attention now turned to the question of of how the OLP connects to ICANN Academy. The Academy was described to Chris and Nora and discussion ensued on how the OLP and the Academy map to each other.

For example, in terms of content of Academy offerings, we may not need to re-invent the wheel. There are other sources, such as diplo or the African effort.

Tijani observed that OLP and the Academy are not intended to be the same entity. The Academy is a much larger concern and OLP will simply be one of the tools.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION:

I believe Tijani is correct in his assertion that the Academy is the engine and OLP is a tool. Perhaps one of many. This needs to be emphasized at the highest level.

ATLAS II Organizing CommitteeJuly 17Gordon Chillcott

This was intended, apparently, to be a brainstorming session. There was some discussion of the survey, its design and its mechanics. A review of the last summit led to a discussion of what we expect to achieve in the upcoming one, and that :

  • it should not be a continuation of the last one

  • it should not be simply a capacity building exercise.

Some further discussion on some other aspects:

  • public relations

  • the level of knowledge expected from the AlSs

  • showcase as a publicity event

  • post-summit planning

PERSONAL OBSERVATION;

I will echo Olivier's final remark: “Let's start going”.

ICANN On-Line Learning InitiativeJuly 17Gordon Chillcott

A learning initiative. The technology is to be based on Moodle. This is it is open source and has global support so that there are local sources of support.

The OLP is to be implemented in three phases, beginning with a pilot system to be presented in Buenos Aires. The final OLP will be delivered as a personalized portal incorporated into myICANN.

Course content will first be sourced from existing material in ICANN, modified for the platform. There will be a third, ongoing phase to develop more content with a view to supporting a wide range of education needs. “New” course content might be gathered from the community. A “curator” will receive the material and it will be reviewed. There will be criteria for acceptance.

This to take place in three phases, beginning with a prototype to be presented in Buenos Aires, a phase to begin creating content – in the beginning, based on exisitng material and a third, ongoing phase to develop more content with a view to supporting a wide range of education needs.

“New” course content might be gathered from the community. A “curator” will receive the material and it will be reviewed. There will be criteria for acceptance.

Material will be organized in learning “tracks” - modules that are small and engaging as possible to hold the participants interest. Format will vary rather widely: Videos (transcripts to be provided, as well as other aides), lessons, webinars, etc.

There is an ambition to grant certificates at the end of some courses. ICANN itself will not grant the certificates – there is some discussion taking place with various institutions. This would take place in the third phase of this project.

This led to a discussion that showed a strong interest in this initiative.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION:

This certainly seems to have generated a lot of interest. If successful, this would be a powerful tool for outreach.

Creating a New ICANN 5-Year Strategic Plan

July 15Gordon Chillcott

This was:

  1. an introduction to the Strategic Planning exercise and some history, and

  2. the beginning of a conversation.

The conversation “began” in this meeting, with the participants broken up into discussion groups. The intent was to at least begin the conversation.

On a larger scale, a web portal has been launched to gather “comments” through September. The comments are on a set of broad topics on ICANN's role.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION:

This really needs to go deep into the ALSs.

Contracting  Process for new gTLD Applicants

July 15, 2013

16:30 - 17:30

Yaovi AtohounThe session took place on July 15, 2013. It was a very informative session about the contracting process for the new gTLD applicants.  I retained form this session that 4 applicants for the new gTLD has signed a contract with ICANN  on July 15, 2013.  You can have the full presentation here

Implementation of the Africa Strategy: Perspectives for FY14

July 15, 2013;

 

13:00 -  14:30

Yaovi Atohoun  & Fatimata Seye Sylla
This session had three phases:
 
  1. Presentation of Pierre Dandjinou, Fadi Chehade and Raymond Pizak
  2. Panel discussions with Mouhamed Diop, James Galvin, Mike Siber and Paulos Nyrenda on Domain Names industry in Africa
  3. Presentation of  the Winners of African Domain Awards
Part 1: 
  • Pierre Dandjinou gave a brief overview of the Africa Strategy which is now being implemented.   The recruitment of a VP for Africa, the  MigEvent in Addis in March and the DNS Forum in Durban are part of the implementation of the strategy.  He said that the DNS Roadshow project will be extented to 16 countries during the fiscal year 2014 among other projects. A brochure on the Africa Strategy was distributed to the participants.
  • The ICANN CEO recognized the achievement and stressed on the fact that we need to see the results.
  • Mr Raymond Pizak echoed that this was the time to really work after the adoption of the Africa Strategy.
Part 2: 
A Panel of actors involved in ccTLD and DNS operation was held to share their view and perspectives for the DNS industry in Africa. As an example Affilias is ready to offer secondary DNS services.

Part 3:
The DNS Award program selection committee members were invited to the panel for the announcement of the winners of this first round. This competition was organized by ICANN and ISOC to promote the DNS industry in Africa

Nii Quaynor, President of the selection committee presented the two categories of competitors (Registries and Registrars) before the announcement of the results.

For the Registries, .ZA won the first prize  and .TZ the second
For Registrars, Kheweul from Senegal, which is the first operational registrar in Africa won the first prize and Diamatrix from South Africa got the second prize.  The prizes were handed to the winners by Steve Crocker Chair of ICANN Board and Walda representing ISOC

Group pictures with  the selection committee members, the winners and the organizers were taken at the end of the ceremony.
MSWG

Monday 15 - 13:30-15:30

Tijani BEN JEMAA- AFRALOMSWG-1
MSWG

Thursday 18 - 09:00-10:30

Tijani BEN JEMAA- AFRALOMSWG-2
  • No labels