Introductory call for ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom for 2014 on Tuesday 25 June 2013 at 2200 UTC

QUESTIONS TO THE CANDIDATES

Cintra Sooknanan: 1) What do you think you can add to the NOMCOM representation on behalf of Lacralo ??

Cintra Sooknanan: 2) Do you think Lacralo's representation in the nomcom has been effective? What are some areas of improvement and how can you effect this ?

Cintra Sooknanan: 3) Do you think that the NOMCOM should be completely independent from ICANN so that judgments are made on candidates' applications alone?

Cintra Sooknanan: 4) In ICANN which is largely dominated by North Americans, how passionate are you about ensuring that members of the Latin american and Caribbean region are selected to facilitate the internationalization of ICANN? In particular can LACRALO rely on your commitment to lobby for and defend the inclusion of Latin American and Caribbean candidates in all positions?

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 1. Cómo ven las reglas de elección y qué cambiaría de las mismas.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 2. Cómo haría para que estos procesos nos dejen un LACRALO unido y no cada vez más fragmentado?

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 3. Afirmo la pregunta 2 de Cintra y apoyo la misma. Me parece clave el análisis del rol jugado y lo que se debe mejorar

Fatima Cambronero: PREGUNTA: ¿Qué experiencia tiene dentro de algún comité de selección en la región y cómo piensa que sea relevante para el desempeño de su rol en el NomCom?

Alberto Soto: Pregunta: no  sería conveniente otra cargo otra participación en las reuniones, como experiencia previa para el cargo del que estamos h

Llance hinds: As a follow up to Cintra's question, please share what strategies each of you will employ to ensure the inclusion of Latin American and Caribbean in all positions.

Heidi Ullrich: Forthcoming schedule:    5. ALAC Notification: RALOs to transmit all accepted nominations with a recommendation for a preferred candidate if the RALO wishes to provide one by 25 June 2013    6.  ALAC Review of RALO Recommendations/Additional List of Nominations Accepted: 25 June - 2 July 2013    7. ALAC selection and endorsement vote: Carried out on-line between 2 July - 8 July    8. Notification to NomCom of Appointees: No later than 12 July 2013 or as arranged with NomCom Secretariat

• No labels

2 Comments

1. Perdón, pero mi pregunta quedó incompleta. Estaba así: "no  sería conveniente otra cargo otra participación en las reuniones, como experiencia previa para el cargo del que estamos h", y deseo completarla: "No sería conveniente otro cargo, otra participación en las reuniones, como experiencia previa para el cargo del que estamos hablando? Es decir, aquellas participaciones activas que nos dan el conocimiento necesario de normas, procedimientos, etc, para poder aportar opiniones fundadas, sobre los postulantes que debe seleccionar el NOMCOM, los que sí tienen que tener esos conocimientos?"

Saludos cordiales

2. Cintra Sooknanan: 1) What do you think you can add to the NOMCOM representation on behalf of Lacralo ?

I believe that the NomCom representatives need to have:

1) Deep and broad knowledge of ICANN, its processes and organisation structure, in order to best determine the needs of the organisation. I've been involved in  Internet governance since 2002 and ICANN since 2005. I've focused on the ALAC, but have also worked across the organisation.

2) Knowledge and experience in evaluating applicants for leadership positions.  I've got experience in organizational management and strategy, as well as human resource management, I worked for 2 years as a headhunter in the Caribbean region, so have experience in finding and evaluating applicants, 

3) Ability to find consensus among diverse groups to find the best candidates to support ICANN's strategy, policy development and processes. I've worked with people across ICANN, I've worked in teams and successfully collaborated with people of all cultures and regions.

Cintra Sooknanan: 2) Do you think Lacralo's representation in the nomcom has been effective? What are some areas of improvement and how can you effect this ?

Yes and no. LACRALO has had some very effective representatives in the past, who have fought for the inclusion of the point of view of the LAC region to be considered. One of the problems has been lack of enough viable candidates from the region. There needs to be more outreach, identification and recruitment of quality candidates so that the NomCom has more to choose from and the representative does not have to work so hard to convince the committee of the ability of the candidate to do the job. I can assist in this via my previously noted experience with recruitment, as well as my contacts in the region, in business, academia and the media.

Cintra Sooknanan: 3) Do you think that the NOMCOM should be completely independent of ICANN so that judgments are made on candidates' applications alone?

The NomCom was created to fill positions within ICANN, therefore it cannot be totally divorced from ICANN. The job is to find persons for leadership positions in ICANN. To do this effectively, the NomCom needs to know the needs of the various SOs and ACs of ICANN, as well as the vision and goals of each part as well as the whole of ICANN. One cannot fill positions in a vacuum of knowledge about the positions and the organisation. However, within ICANN, the NomCom is effectively independent. None of the organisation of ICANN, its Board or its Staff has attempted to influence the decisions of the committee. However, this independence needs to be jealously guarded, as lobbying (allowed activity) can easily go overboard. It is important that the representatives appointed to the NomCom are persons of the highest personal integrity.

Cintra Sooknanan: 4) In ICANN which is largely dominated by North Americans, how passionate are you about ensuring that members of the Latin American and Caribbean region are selected to facilitate the internationalization of ICANN? In particular can LACRALO rely on your commitment to lobby for and defend the inclusion of Latin American and Caribbean candidates in all positions?

I am very passionate about inclusion of people from the region. I joined ICANN to work towards this, worked tirelessly to create the RALOs, and when I sat on the NomCom, worked to support and encourage candidates from the region. So, yes, LACRALO can rely on my commitment to so do.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 1. Cómo ven las reglas de elección y qué cambiaría de las mismas.

Not sure what this refers to in regard to the NomCom, as there is no election, the ALAC requests candidates and recommendations from the region and makes the decision as to whom they will appoint.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 2. Cómo haría para que estos procesos nos dejen un LACRALO unido y no cada vez más fragmentado?

Again, I don't see the relevance of the question in regard to the NomCom, but in general, there needs to be deep and true respect among the members of the LACRALO, not simply tolerance. There are many preconceptions held about members of the group, and many cliques. A great deal of this is due to language barriers, and the natural preference of people to group with those of like culture.

There are also deep disagreements about the role and place of the LACRALO.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 3. Afirmo la pregunta 2 de Cintra y apoyo la misma. Me parece clave el análisis del rol jugado y lo que se debe mejorar

Fatima Cambronero: PREGUNTA: ¿Qué experiencia tiene dentro de algún comité de selección en la región y cómo piensa que sea relevante para el desempeño de su rol en el NomCom?

As noted previously, I worked as a headhunter in the region for a couple of years. In this role, I worked with over 100 "selection committees" to place over 200 persons in positions in organisations in the region. I also was a member of the BCEC that recommended the short list of candidates for the first ALAC Board seat, and I sat as the Associate Chair of the NomCom for 1 year and as an ALAC representative for a year. At the University of Trinidad and Tobago, where I work, I have also been requested to sit on several interview committees for hiring purposes. 

No sería conveniente otro cargo, otra participación en las reuniones, como experiencia previa para el cargo del que estamos hablando? Es decir, aquellas participaciones activas que nos dan el conocimiento necesario de normas, procedimientos, etc, para poder aportar opiniones fundadas, sobre los postulantes que debe seleccionar el NOMCOM, los que sí tienen que tener esos conocimientos?"

I previously noted my experience in ICANN, my experience in Internet Governance and my experience in the region. I think this broad experience qualifies me to be an excellent representative on the NomCom 

Lance hinds: As a follow up to Cintra's question, please share what strategies each of you will employ to ensure the inclusion of Latin American and Caribbean in all positions.

Strategies need to include:

1) Broad dissemination of the opportunities

2) Personal appeals to quality candidates

3) Support of candidates, including assistance in learning about ICANN, its processes and organisation for new candidates

4) Building a consensus of support among the other members of the NomCom