Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the ALAC ExCom on Wednesday 11 July 2012 at 1330 UTC

Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/8REQAg

Gisella Gruber-White:Prague AI's: https://community.icann.org/x/z67bAQ

Heidi Ullrich:Hi Evan, the call starts in 20 minutes ;)

Evan Leibovitch:Take your pick. 20 minutes early or 20 minutes late? ;-)

Heidi Ullrich::)

Heidi Ullrich:Welcome!

Gisella Gruber-White:Hi Evan - good to have you back ;-)

Evan Leibovitch:yes, this place seems strangely familiar.

Evan Leibovitch:as if... I was just here 24 hours ago :-)

Tijani BEN JEMAA:hi gisella

Tijani BEN JEMAA:do you hear me?

Nathalie  Peregrine:Hello Tijani, can you speak now?

Tijani BEN JEMAA:Nethalie, did u hear bme?

Nathalie  Peregrine:No Tijani, I did not.

Nathalie  Peregrine:Would you like us to dial out to you?

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Hi!

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Is anyone talking?  I can't hear anything.

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:I can hear you.

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Were you able to hear me?

Tijani BEN JEMAA:Please call +216 98 330 114

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Let me get the number for you.

Gisella Gruber-White:@ Tijani - calling you now

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Gisella +852 2119 3311 Suite 2620

Heidi Ullrich:HI All, I'll be 5 minutes late

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Just start.

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Please begin.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ok

Gisella Gruber-White:Silvia Vivanco is on from staff as well - apologies for not including Silivia in roll call

Gisella Gruber-White:Music in background ...

Evan Leibovitch:cheryl's line sounds muted ... or at least faint ... on my line

Heidi Ullrich:@Evan, she is clear on my line. Is she still muted/faint on your line?

Evan Leibovitch:y

Julie Hammer:She is faint for me too.

Gisella Gruber-White:Faint for me but sound on computer varies quite a bit

Heidi Ullrich:Clear and fine for me - how strange...

Heidi Ullrich:Evan and Julie, are you wearing a headset?

Julie Hammer:No

Evan Leibovitch:no. olivier is much louder and clearer

Gisella Gruber-White:@ Cheryl - please speak a wee bit louder if possible. You are a tad faint

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I'll try G

Gisella Gruber-White:@ Cheryl - thanks :-)

Matt Ashtiani:APRALO and AFRALO Activities at the IGF in Baku Workspace - https://community.icann.org/x/8hIQAg

Gisella Gruber-White:@ Tijani - you are unmuted

Heidi Ullrich:Tijani is unmuted...

Tijani BEN JEMAA:sorry i'm cut

Gisella Gruber-White:we are calling you back

Tijani BEN JEMAA:can u pls call +216 52 337 114

Heidi Ullrich:Cheryl, are you able to confirm whether the ROP and Metrics groups will have a half day workshop in Toronto. 

Heidi Ullrich:The Toronto Kick-off meeting is today.

Heidi Ullrich:Tijani, Adigo is getting a message on that number

Heidi Ullrich:Tijani is back

Heidi Ullrich:Also, please note that there are now several WG meetings which discuss policy during ICANN meetings.

Evan Leibovitch:and a bit slow connecting brain to finger

Heidi Ullrich:We have also expanded the ALAC Policy 1 and 2 discussions to two hours

Heidi Ullrich:The ExCom has always been two hours.

Heidi Ullrich:Evan, could they also report back to the Wrap-Up session on Thursday? This would give more time to have the meetings

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry dropped out of room for a while

Heidi Ullrich:We could even extend the Wrap up to 2.5 hours

Evan Leibovitch:I am looking to solutions that do not necessarily add more time. IMO the issue is not just more time -- a 2.5hr meeting is EXHAUSTING on everyone, especially if done ion the afternoon. What I'm suggesting -- based on the model used at the Summit -- has ALAC members working smarter rather than just longer.

Heidi Ullrich:@Tijani and Rinalia, would you like to have calls just for APRALO and/or AFRALO before the Global Partnerships call with the GNSO?

Heidi Ullrich:@Evan, you mentioned that these meetings would report back to the ALAC policy discussions on Tuesday. That would mean the policy meetings would need to take place on Monday.

Evan Leibovitch:@Matt: I am not suggesting anything just for the FCWG.... but the idea of having a portion of ALAC policy time spent on multiple streams, based on WGs, that can then assemble and propose things to the wider ALAC

Evan Leibovitch:And yes, Heidi, I am thinking that this would be either Monday and/or the last hour or so of Sunday

Gisella Gruber-White:@ Tijani - your line is muted as there is background noise

Heidi Ullrich:ok, thanks, Evan. That would certainly be possible.

Gisella Gruber-White:Please raise your hand if you wish to speak and we will unmute you immediately

Tijani BEN JEMAA:ys, I know

Tijani BEN JEMAA:it's because I'm in a café

Tijani BEN JEMAA:out of Tunis

Tijani BEN JEMAA:thank you gisella

Evan Leibovitch:The challenge is coming up with five or so small meeting areas for each of the streams. It could be as simple as four corners of the ALAC room, provided the layout allowed (or was considered in advance)

Heidi Ullrich:Monday is usually pretty open. We could schedule 4-5 meetings on Monday.

Gisella Gruber-White:@ Tijani - you are welcome

Evan Leibovitch:@RAR: yes. There could be SOME parallel but there could be also two separate slots. Again, looking back to the Summit offers some good models.

Heidi Ullrich:We could possibly have two meetings on Friday - 8-10 and then ExCom 10-12...

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:I wasn't at the Summit Evan. ;)

Evan Leibovitch:I know. But we need SOME insititutional memory. If it depends on me, we're in trouble :-P

Heidi Ullrich:I think we would be able to hold 3 meetings at different times on Monday, so no parallel meetings would be necessary.

Evan Leibovitch:Thanks for the edits, Matt. That does reflect my thinking.

Evan Leibovitch:Sometimes?

Evan Leibovitch:garbled but audible

Matt Ashtiani::-)

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Support Julie's suggestion.

Evan Leibovitch:Julie: this is an area outside my main skill/confort area and I look forward to anything you may bring forward

Julie Hammer:Thanks, I'll draft something for your consideration

Heidi Ullrich:The close of the Reply Period is 31 August.

Heidi Ullrich:A significant extension.

Gisella Gruber-White:I heard Julie loud and clear

Heidi Ullrich:http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/meetings

Heidi Ullrich:I will speak to Diane today. I believe they are trying to schedule the Board meetings.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I will wait for your reply, Heidi, on Diane's reply. If this is not just an oversight, and is actually that the Board meetings are taking place but without any transparency, I'll write to Steve

Alan Greenberg:Still nothing before Toronto on web site regarding future Board meeting.

Alan Greenberg:My understanding is that there is at least one meeting scheduled at this point.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:There is obviously going to be more than one meeting until Toronto

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:we just need to have access to a clear schedule

Matt Ashtiani:At-Large Request for Community Input on SAC054 - Domain Name Registration Data Model Workspace - https://community.icann.org/x/4RIQAg

Heidi Ullrich:AI: Staff to organize a webinar on SAC 54

Julie Hammer:Happy to do so

Matt Ashtiani:AI: A webinar on the Request for Community Input on SAC054 - Domain Name Registration Data Model is to be held. Staff are to liaise with Julie Hammer and the Chair of the SSAC

Heidi Ullrich:and Julie Hedlund ;)

Evan Leibovitch:The ink virtual was drying on the statement as this meeting started ;-)

Matt Ashtiani:At-Large Preliminary GNSO Issue Report on the Protection of International Organization Names in New gTLDS Workspace - https://community.icann.org/x/BgQQAg

Heidi Ullrich:Olivier, how long of an extension would you like to request?

Heidi Ullrich:10 calendar days? - So the 26th?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes please

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thanks for the AI Matt re: SAC054. Yes that's correct.

Tijani BEN JEMAA:I'm sorry, I have to stop here

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:thanks Tijani

Heidi Ullrich:Margie Milam, the staff responsible for the GNSO Preliminary Report PC has said a 10 day extension should be ok. She suggested the ALAC send a note requesting the extension to the Comment Period

Tijani BEN JEMAA:I'm in convalescence and can't continue

Matt Ashtiani:fell better, Tijani

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I hope you're feeling better. Get well soon.

Heidi Ullrich:Get well soon, Tijani!!

Julie Hammer:all the best, Tijani

Tijani BEN JEMAA:sorry, I have to stop here

Heidi Ullrich:Cheryl, we have you in the AC - and as a host.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I've come in now via the mobile  app  :-( which is limited. no hands etc

Julie Hammer:Agree, no statement

Matt Ashtiani:At-Large Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy Part C Policy Development Process Initial Report Workspace - https://community.icann.org/x/FQQQAg

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hand up

Heidi Ullrich:I've informed Marikia

Matt Ashtiani:AI: Staff are to send a not to Marika letting her know that the ALAC will soon submit a Statement on the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy Part C Policy Development Process Initial Report

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:bye tijani

Heidi Ullrich:Completed ;)

Evan Leibovitch:Ping pong balls? Clearly some here visited the Prague "sex machine museum" in the old town.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:a why is the Start plan important to You primer. yes

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:One of the recommendations in that doc is to take out the word governance from internet governance ecosystem!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Strat not Start

Heidi Ullrich:Could this topic be within in a broader How to Participate in ICANN?

Heidi Ullrich:or be a Beginner's Guide on its own?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yesvRinalia I spoke to that at the meeting

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:What was the reaction Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ok to be broader. but as a section /chapter /sub topic. etc.,

Heidi Ullrich:Alan/Olivier, when do you expect the Part C statement to be submitted?

Heidi Ullrich:approximately...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:still needs to be discussed. but may be solved with CLEAR reference to the specificity of the term that was generated out of WISIS

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that was reply to renalia

Alan Greenberg:Heidi, The draft statement went out to ALAC and At-large on 25 Jun. There has been no comment to date (not on wiki, but certainly distributed). I would suggest one last call for comments, and then schedule a vote. All well before 25 July.

Heidi Ullrich:ok, thanks, Alan.

Heidi Ullrich:and Team!

Nathalie  Peregrine:Gisella dropped off the call, dialling her back

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes to highlighting the WGbs

Matt Ashtiani:https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/34607601/ALAC+Chair%27s+Report+-+Prague+-+June+29+2012+-+Final+Draft.pdf

Heidi Ullrich:https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/34607601/ALAC+Chair%27s+Report+-+Prague+-+June+29+2012+-+Final+Draft.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1341961401498

Heidi Ullrich:report now loaded on the agenda page.

Heidi Ullrich:So, we should add the work of the WGs?

Evan Leibovitch:Not better or worse. Both are acceotable.

Heidi Ullrich:Ok, thanks Olivier, re WGs.

Heidi Ullrich:Olivier, please send me your comments today. We can then send them to be posted

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks!!

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks, Team!

Heidi Ullrich:I did a spell check for Costa Rica references ;)

Evan Leibovitch:Of course, to some of us, our value is measured not in volume of work but how much we actually influence policy.

Heidi Ullrich:https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ICANN+45+-+At-Large+Toronto+Meeting+-+October+2012

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Evan, when substance cannot be measured the fall back is usually number of meetings etc. :)

Heidi Ullrich:Cheryl, how long would you like for the ROP/Metrics update on Sunday?

Heidi Ullrich:So, should the Workshop be late afternoon on MOnday?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:that would clash with NARALO event?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Heidi 20 to 40 mins IF we can get it  20 before a break and 40 if after...

Heidi Ullrich:No, I was thinking the ROP Workshop would be 16:00-18:00

Heidi Ullrich:then the NARALO event is 18:00-19:30.

Heidi Ullrich:ok, thanks re Sunday, Cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:depends on the topics at any given meeting

Evan Leibovitch:and some answers can't be furnished even WITH advance notive :-P

Heidi Ullrich:We set up wikis for the majority of the people who speak to the ALAC

Evan Leibovitch:We now do this with the Board, GAC and compliance. It should be extended to all

Heidi Ullrich:to collect questions

Heidi Ullrich:Very few questions are posted.

Matt Ashtiani:for compliance, the questions posted were actually posted after the cut off

Heidi Ullrich:Communications, Global Partnerships, P and E, etc.

Heidi Ullrich:The only two requests that were made from staff were for the IDN update and the IDN TLD report

Evan Leibovitch:@Alan: I like the GNSO's "voice" as you did it. Nicely nasal.

Evan Leibovitch:Cynical? Us?

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Heidi, I'd like the IDN VIP & TLD updates to continue.

Alan Greenberg:@Evan, I better listen to the mp3 and see what I sounded like! Does it rival your scottish accent?

Evan Leibovitch:yup

Heidi Ullrich:To confirm, both Policy discussions should be left open for policy discussions rather than any staff/group speaking with the ALAC?

Heidi Ullrich:So meetings with the ASO, the SSAC, etc will need to be separate meetings?

Alan Greenberg:2.5 hours. Perhaps a record for ExCom?  I have another teleconference in 2 hours. Can we please be finished by then?

Matt Ashtiani:https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Topics+for+Public+Forum+in+Prague+Workspace

Matt Ashtiani:i have already posted them on the wiki

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks, Matt!!

Heidi Ullrich:Also, next Board meeting - proposed date time is 26 July at 20:0 0UTCV

Heidi Ullrich:utc

Matt Ashtiani:when would you like to close the call for comments?

Heidi Ullrich:proposed date/time

Heidi Ullrich:not confirmed yetyo

Heidi Ullrich:so likely reason not yet posted on Board agenda schedule

Julie Hammer:Thanks...bye everyone

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Bye everyone

• No labels