- Category: Internet Protocols
- Topic: SSAC Report On Whois Terminology And Structure
- Board meeting date: 28 October 2011
- Resolution number: 2011.10.28.26-2011.10.28.28
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-28oct11-en.htm#5
- Status: Completed
Board acknowledged receipt of SAC 051 and directs staff to produce a roadmap for the coordination of the discussions necessary to implement the recommendations.
Whereas, WHOIS service has been an important information service for the Internet community, and is part of all ICANN TLD contracts.
Whereas, the shortcomings of the WHOIS protocol have been known for some time.
Whereas, on 20 September 2011, ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) published a report "SSAC Report on Domain Name WHOIS Terminology and Structure" (SAC 051), including specific recommendations aimed at clarity of terminology and structure with regard to discussions regarding WHOIS.
Resolved (2011.10.28.26), the Board hereby acknowledges the receipt of SAC 051, and thanks SSAC and other contributors for their efforts in the creation of the report.
Resolved (2011.10.28.27), the Board directs staff to produce, in consultation with the community, a roadmap for the coordination of the technical and policy discussions necessary to implement the recommendations outlined in SAC 051.
Resolved (2011.10.28.28), the Board directs staff to forward SAC 051 to ICANN's Advisory Committees and Supporting Organizations for their advice, if any, with regards to implementing the SSAC recommendations, and to forward SAC 051 to the Whois Review Team.
- Forward SAC 051 to ICANN's Advisory Committees, Supporting Organizations, and the Whois Review Team.** Responsible entity: Staff
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 9 November 2011
- Produce roadmap for the coordination of the technical and policy discussions necessary to implement the recommendations outlined in SAC 051.
- Responsible entity: Staff
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 18 February 2012
The Retionale is posted in the Minutes for the 28 October 2011 meeting, at http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/minutes-28oct11-en.htm#5
The issue of Whois protocol has been a longstanding topic of conversation within theICANN community. The Board's action in acknowledging the SSAC's important work on this topic is a productive step forward for the coordination of future work on Whois, and is also demonstrative of the Board's accountability to the work of ICANN's Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees. Further, the Board is now seeking broader advice from the community on the recommendations of the SSAC. This action by the Board will have minimal fiscal impact on the organization due to the staff work directed. The acknowledgment of this report and furthering the consideration of the recommendations are anticipated to further ICANN's mission of protecting the security and the stability of the Internet.
Other Related Resolutions
- Other resolutions TBD.
- The Roadmap and Public Comment on the Draft Roadmap is available at http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/sac-051-draft-roadmap-18feb12-en.htm
- SSAC Report on WHOIS Terminology and Structure, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/committees/security/sac051.pdf.
- GNSO Council activities relevant to implementation of SAC 051, available at: http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-whoissurvey-dt/pdf563tclCegN.pdf.
- SSAC Report on WHOIS Terminology and Structure forwarded to ICANN's Advisory Committees, Supporting Organizations, and the Whois Review Team by email, available at: http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg12412.html.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.
Note: The "Add Comment" box below is for sharing information about implementation of this resolution. Off-topic comments will be removed.