*Candidate Statement Of Interest*

This Statement of Interest (SoI) will be used by the At-Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee to aid in its selection of candidates to stand for election as an ICANN Board member. *Note that on submission of this SoI, your name, citizenship and residence countries, e-mail address and sections B and C of this SoI will be made public.*

The questions in Sections B and C of this SoI are similar to questions asked in the 2010 Nominating Committee Statement of Interest. You may wish to consult with the sections of the Nominating Committee documentation that are applicable to Board of Director appointments. The document can be found at [http://nomcom.icann.org/invitation-2010.htm].

SECTION A. Identifying and Contact Information

1. Name:

• First name: [alacabsdt: ]

• FAMILY NAME: [alacabsdt: ]

2. E-mail address:

• First Alternative: [alacabsdt: ]

• Second Alternative: [alacabsdt: ]

3. Contact telephone number(s) (Must include your country and area code):

• First preferred number to use: [alacabsdt: ]

• Second preferred number to use: [alacabsdt: ]

• Any other numbers/methods you wish to list: [alacabsdt: ]

4. Country/countries:

• Citizenship: [alacabsdt: ]

• Residence: [alacabsdt: ]

SECTION B. Professional and Educational Background

1. Provide details of your current job, role, title, employer and affiliations: [alacabsdt: ]

2. Describe your educational and professional history. Provide all information that you believe may be relevant to being an effective member of the ICANN Board: []

3. Describe any current and past volunteer community positions, roles and accomplishments. We are particularly interested in similar Board directorship and committee experience: [alacabsdt: ]

4. List any relevant personal or professional web pages: [alacabsdt: ]

SECTION C. Internet Involvement and Interest in ICANN

This section asks questions that will tell us specifically about your candidacy, how your experience makes you suitable for the position of At-Large selected Board Director, the qualities you will bring to ICANN and how you will advance the interests of global Internet users over the coming years.

1. Describe how you meet the criteria for the At-Large selected ICANN Board Director position: [alacabsdt: ]

2. Describe current and past involvement in, contributions to, and leadership roles in activities and organizations involved in the development and operation of the Internet, its naming and addressing infrastructure and/or its security and stability: [alacabsdt: ]

3. Provide a statement about what you would contribute in the At-Large selected ICANN Board Director position to ICANN and its mission: [alacabsdt: ]

4. Provide a statement about what you would contribute in the At-Large selected ICANN Board Director position to the At-Large Community: [alacabsdt: ]

5. Please describe specifically how and why you will be able to advance, at the ICANN Board, the interests of the At-Large Community and the broader global community of Internet end-users.

6. Is there any additional information you would like to submit that would be helpful to the BCEC in making its decision? If so, please summarize it here: [alacabsdt: ]

SECTION D. Conflict of Interest and References

1. Conflicts of interest with ICANN. Please indicate clearly if you have any areas of actual or potential conflicts with ICANN. Actual and potential conflicts of interest will not necessarily be disqualifying. [alacabsdt: ]

2. The At-Large criteria for a Director include "Independence from the ICANN stakeholders whose financial situation is significantly impacted by ICANN decisions." Do you meet this criterion? [alacabsdt: ]

3. The Board Director position is voluntary and requires a significant commitment of time and energy. Please read carefully the description of the time commitment required in the [alacabsdt:draft mandatory and desirable applicant characteristics] document. Is your schedule of activities compatible with a significant allocation of time (a minimum of 25 hours a week) to contribute to the position of Board Director? Yes [alacabsdt: ] or No [alacabsdt: ]

4. Please provide the names of no fewer than 3 and no more than 4 people who can provide a reference for your candidacy. Applicant must ensure that all references agree to act in this capacity prior to being included in this SoI. The BCEC will not consult with references who are themselves applicants in this process. ICANN staff and current BCEC members cannot act as references for applicants."

Reference 1

Name:
Email(s):
Contact telephone(s):
Relationship:

Reference 2

Name:
Email(s):
Contact telephone(s):
Relationship:

Reference 3

Name:
Email(s):
Contact telephone(s):
Relationship:

Reference 4

Name:
Email(s):
Contact telephone(s):
Relationship:

SECTION E. Consent and Authorization

Under the At-Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (“BCEC”) procedures, a list of applicants’ names, countries, email addresses and sections B and C of their Statement of Interest may be made publicly available. Your entire Statement of Interest will be sent to your references, but other than as noted above will be treated as confidential except when the BCEC is conducting third-party reference checks from selected sources on a confidential basis. Third party due diligence checks may be required as part of a BCEC process.

Although the BCEC will take reasonable steps to ensure that its confidentiality procedures are followed, Applicants shall have no claims against ICANN, the BCEC, or affiliated persons in the event information is disclosed despite our adherence to these procedures.

You also authorize the BCEC to consult with your references, to investigate other information publicly available about you, and to conduct additional third-party reference checks. You will not be entitled to review or access any of the information received, obtained, generated, or considered by the BCEC regarding any Applicant, or any of the BCEC’s discussions or deliberations regarding any Applicant. BCEC selections are final; no further approval or ratification will take place.

You attest that the information supplied by you herein is complete and accurate and provided in good faith.

Please indicate that you understand the statements in Section E and agree to become a candidate under the conditions described above. Yes [alacabsdt: ] or No [alacabsdt: ]
----
[^Confidential%20Candidate%20Reference%20Form%202010.doc]

> *Sample - Candidate Statement of Interest*
> SECTION A. Identifying and Contact Information
> (A.1) Your name:
> First name: [alacabsdt: ]
> FAMILY NAME: [alacabsdt: ]
> (A.2) Position(s) for which you would like to be considered: ALAC - At Large Advisory Council (this is a drop down box, the applicant can select one of four options, eg. Board, GNSO, ccNSO and ALAC)
> Please also consider me for the other open positions [√] (this is an option field -- the field must be “√” for the note to be included in the application)
> (A.3) Male/Female? [m] [f]
> (A.4) Your e-mail address: [alacabsdt: ]
> (A.5) Your telephone number(s): [alacabsdt: ]
> (A.6) Your country of citizenship: [alacabsdt: ]
> (A.7) Your country of residence: [alacabsdt: ]
> (A.8) If you have more than one country of citizenship, please list the country of citizenship or Domicile that you want the Nom Com to use for Diversity Calculation purposes: [alacabsdt: ]
> (A.9) How did you hear about the ICANN Nominating Committee? [alacabsdt: ]
> SECTION B. Education and Professional Background
> (B.1) Provide details of your current job, title, employer or affiliation: [alacabsdt: ]
> (B.2) Describe your educational background and past professional positions: [alacabsdt: ]
> (B.3) Describe any current and past volunteer positions, roles and accomplishments We are particularly interested in board or similar directorship and committee experience:
> (B.4) If you have a personal web page, you may wish to provide a link to it here: [alacabsdt: ]
> SECTION C. Internet and ICANN Involvement and Interest

This section asks questions that will tell us specifically about your candidacy, how your experience makes you suitable for the position of At-Large selected Board Director, the qualities you will bring to ICANN and how you will advance the interests of global Internet users over the coming years.

> (C.1) Describe how you meet the criteria for the At-Large selected Board Director
> position you are applying for: [alacabsdt: ]
> (C.2) Describe current and past involvement in, contributions to, and
> leadership roles in activities and organizations involved in the development
> and operation of the Internet, its naming and addressing infrastructure
> and its security and stability: [alacabsdt: ]
> (C.3) Describe current and past involvement in, contributions to, and
> leadership roles in activities and organizations involved in the broader Internet end-user community: [alacabsdt: ]
> (C.4) Provide a statement about what you would contribute in your role as At-Large selected ICANN Board Director to ICANN and its mission: [alacabsdt: ]
> (C.5) Is there any additional information you would like to submit that
> would be helpful to the BCEC in making its decision? If so, please
> summarize it here: [alacabsdt: ]
> SECTION D. [alacabsdt:References]
> Provide the names of no less than 3 and no more than 4 people
> who can provide a reference for your candidacy:
> Reference 1
> Name:
> Email(s):
> Contact telephone(s):
> Relationship:
> Reference 2
> Name:
> Email(s):
> Contact telephone(s):
> Relationship:
> Reference 3
> Name:
> Email(s):
> Contact telephone(s):
> Relationship:
> Reference 4
> Name:
> Email(s):
> Contact telephone(s):
> Relationship:
> SECTION E. Consent and Authorization
> (E.1) Please list any potential conflicts of interest with ICANN: [alacabsdt: ]
> (E.2) The Board Director position is voluntary and require a significant commitment of
> time and energy. Please read carefully the description of the time
> commitment required in the [alacabsdt:Draft Mandatory and Desirable Applicant Characteristics] document. Is your schedule
> of activities compatible with a significant allocation of time to contribute
> to the position of Board Director that you are looking for? Please indicate Yes or No: [alacabsdt: ]
> (E.3) Please indicate that you understand this statement and its conditions and agree to become a candidate. Please indicate Yes or [alacabsdt: ] No. [alacabsdt: ]

----
I don't know if it is the right place to put it; sorry if it is not. (Tijani)

As it was requested, I would like to put on the table the question of the relationship the candidate must have with the at-large community.

For me, this Board Director is replacing the At-Large liaison person with the board. and we fought to transform the liaison into a voting Director.
Why we select him/her? It's because he/she will be more or less our voice in the Board.
Sure, I know that the Board Directors speak on their own behalf, but with the background of the constituencies that selected them.
What is the interest of At-Large? to have a Board Director who understands very well the concerns of the At-Large community or the charismatic personality who knows roughly the community and its interest?
And how the selected person will be really aware of the community concerns if he/she didn't live and work inside the community?
If he/she is a representative of an end users organization interested in ICANN process, he/she must be in one of the At-Large Structures, except if he/she down-looks the At-Large organization work. and in this case, I will refuse that he/she becomes a Board Director selected by the At-Large Community.

I do think that in the ICANN At-Large Community, there are many people that can be selected to sit on the Board, and who are really not only aware of the community views and concerns, but convinced and committed.

----
Are you saying that we therefore need to add questions which are directly related to At Large, and which would help in selecting a candidate most likely to defend At Large's positions?
I would agree with that.
However, I do not think that we are able to openly (and officially) say in any of our documents that the director selected by BCEC should be At Large's "voice" on the board - because this goes against ICANN Bylaws.
In my opinion, the selection criteria regarding the selection of a set of candidates suitable for an At Large Board Director Election should be left to the discretion of the BCEC itself. I can't imagine that the BCEC will *not* act accordingly.

Olivier C-L

_contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2010-02-23 13:17:05 GMT_
-----------------------
-
Olivier, what I mean is to indicate that the candidate has to be from the ICANN At-Large Community and not elsewhere. No need to say that he/she will defend our positions because he will not be obliged to do so.
Tijani

----
I think that the real issue is to select people who the At-Large Community can believe will be a voice on the Board that represents the core values of the At-Large Community. And these core values in turn must represent the needs of the general Internet user (because the At-Large Community, although defined as the ALSs, RALOs and ALAC, is there to represent the needs of the wider Internet community.

I find it a bit hard to believe that someone with no experience with At-Large will be able to create that feeling of confidence, and in turn be elected by a majority of those voting. But I am not sure I want to put in place an iron-clad rule that the BCEC cannot consider such a person.

Even if one were to put some restriction in place, it should not be as restrictive as being a member of an ALS. Simple membership in an ALS does not prove a lot, and such a rule would eliminate people with a very deep involvement with At-Large, but not a current ALS member.

_contributed by alan.greenberg@mcgill.ca on 2010-02-26 04:30:17 GMT_

----
One more thought. I worry about expressions like "most likely to defend At Large's positions". A director is bound to look at what is best for ICANN (in their mind). I can imagine situations where other issues (which may or may not be publicly known) work against some particular At-Large position. I think the wording that we need is closer to "will make decisions in the best interest of ICANN, FACTORING IN THE NEEDS OF THE AT-LARGE COMMUNITY AND THE INTERNET USER". It is this last phrase that may not be there with many Directors named by others, and is what we need to ensure in our Director.

_contributed by alan.greenberg@mcgill.ca on 2010-02-26 04:37:20 GMT_

----
I support the last statement by Alan

_contributed by carlton.samuels@gmail.com on 2010-02-27 00:17:31 GMT_

----
Two comments:
(1)I'm sympathy that it might be too restrictive to confine the candidate to a member of an ALS. Instead, I suggest we add an query on "at-large involvement and/or contribution." The candidate should, as Cheryl said, provide demonstrable proof on that. This will make sure that he/she does not come out of blue.
(2)If the candidate's SoI is going to be made public, I suggest we blur some information in Section A, such as email address and telephone number, to protect the candidate from spam and other harms, and ask for the candidate's consent on disclosure of his/her other person information at the end of the SoI.

_contributed by hongxueipr@gmail.com on 2010-02-27 02:01:40 GMT_

----
I would support Alan's position on this. Adding a query "at large involvement and/orcontribution may deter perfectly good and potentially very useful candidates from applying. I think that we should leave it to the BCEC's discretion to choose whether the level of involvement of a candidate was good enough. Putting it on paper before any selection process filters out individuals who may come from Civil Society or NGOs or an entirely different sphere but with very strong potential to do a great job for At Large as a Director.

If we were to include a question about past At Large involvement, I would hope that it is kept as open as possible in order not to deter candidates coming from outside the immediate At Large pool. Something along the line of:

"Do you have experience in contributing to ICANN bottom-up processes?"
or "Please explain your involvement to-date with ICANN"

Olivier C-L

_contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2010-03-02 09:32:34 GMT_

----
I want to have noted my support specifically for the change of question asked in Sec C point 5 to ask how the candidate "will make decisions in the best interest of ICANN, FACTORING IN THE NEEDS OF THE AT-LARGE COMMUNITY AND THE INTERNET USER". or Perhaps as an alternative we could indicate that successful candidates will be expected to wartrent a few things to the At-Large Community and list them i.e.

* "will make decisions in the best interest of ICANN, FACTORING IN THE NEEDS OF THE AT-LARGE COMMUNITY AND THE INTERNET USER".

* will regularly interact with leadership and the activities of ICANN's At-Large Regions, their ALSes, and the ALAC

* <????> what else can we get them to "promise to do to the best of their ability.

ALSO I support the addition of "Do you have experience in contributing to ICANN bottom-up processes?" or "Please explain your involvement to-date with ICANN" as suggested by Olivier to be added to Sec C. with perhaps an expansion of an "or in other Organisations from the 'Internet Ecosystem'

_contributed by langdonorr@gmail.com on 2010-03-18 05:41:55 GMT_

----
Regarding Cheryl's comments, I suspect (but do not know) that such a warrant (presume that's what was meant) as the first bullet might need to be cleared by ICANN legal counsel first. I would use the first wording, and add the interaction requirement in the same section as time commitments.

I agree with Olivier that the BCEC has the discretion to pick based on whatever criteria they think most important, but that doesn't mean we cannot ask for the candidate to explain their involvement with ICANN and At-Large.

_contributed by alan.greenberg@mcgill.ca on 2010-03-19 02:10:12 GMT_

----
In section D2, the reference to "leadership Positions" should be replaced by a pointer to our criteria.

_contributed by alan.greenberg@mcgill.ca on 2010-03-19 02:16:48 GMT_

----
Section B3 is incomplete. Should be: "(B.3) Describe any current and past volunteer positions, roles and accomplishments We are particularly interested in board or similar directorship and committee experience: "

Section C intro is missing. "SECTION C. Internet Involvement and Interest in ICANN

This section asks questions that will tell us specifically about your candidacy, how your experience makes you suitable for the position(s) you would like to be considered for, the qualities you will bring to ICANN and how you will help ICANN over the coming years. Although detailed knowledge and involvement in ICANN is not a prerequisite, the following questions will help put your experience with ICANN and the Internet into perspective."

_contributed by alan.greenberg@mcgill.ca on 2010-03-22 02:16:28 GMT_

----
I think in Section C, we should ask the candidates whether they are applying for any OTHER leadership positions within ICANN

_contributed by dave@isoc-mu.org on 2010-03-23 12:14:42 GMT_

----
*Section E*.

_(I can't see the edits of D.1 & D.2 having been moved to Section E) - as follows (I might have the wrong language)_

1. Please list any conflicts of interest with ICANN At-Large Community: [alacabsdt: ]

2. The Board Director position is voluntary and requires a significant commitment of time and energy. Please read carefully the description of the time commitment required in the draft mandatory and desirable applicant characteristics document. Is your schedule of activities compatible with a significant allocation of time (a minimum of 25 hours a week) to contribute to the position of Board Director? Please indicate Yes or No: [alacabsdt: ]

3. Under the At Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (“BCEC”) procedures, a list of candidates’ names and portions of their Statement of Interest that are not of a personal nature will be published and made publicly available. The rest of your application will be treated as confidential unless you give the BCEC your permission to disclose it or unless the BCEC is consulting your references and conducting third-party reference checks from selected sources on a confidential basis. Third party checks may also be required as part of a due diligence process necessary before we can accept candidates for the position of ICANN Board Director.
Although the BCEC will take reasonable steps to ensure that its confidentiality procedures are followed, Applicants and Selected Candidates shall have no claims against ICANN, the BCEC, or affiliated persons in the event information is disclosed despite our adherence to these procedures.
You also authorize the BCEC to consult with your references, to investigate other information publicly available about you, and to conduct additional third-party reference checks. You will not be entitled to review or access any of the information received, obtained, generated, or considered by the BCEC regarding any Applicant or Selected Candidate, or any of the BCEC’s discussions or deliberations regarding any Applicant or Selected Candidate. Applicants and Selected Candidates have no right to challenge or seek review of the BCEC’s evaluations.

4. You attest that the information supplied by you herein is complete and accurate and provided in good faith.

Please indicate that you understand statements E.3 and E.4 and agree to become a candidate under the conditions described above. Please indicate Yes or No.

*** discussion / Notes ---

A. Whilst reviewing the above statement, it has struck me that we have not said which portions of the Statement of Interest are actually confidential and which portions will be made public. I suggest that we do so.
B. Section D (which now only contains the references): the original NomCom document also included: "Please ask the person before including their name as a reference and inform them that you have submitted this SOI." - and I suggest that we also include this here.

_contributed by ocl@gih.com on 2010-03-30 17:51:25 GMT_

----
_The following points in response to Olivier's above text and points were made in an email to the ABSdt list but are copied here for completeness of the Wiki record.._.

All the 'toilet' points you made [alacabsdt: above] are fine by me thanks for catching them... I trust those changes and the ones we agreed to last night re section D=> E will be done and show up on the wiki post haste... IN you 'new E as listed in the comments you've put up one thing is under E new 2. it should have the reference to 25hrs in the parenthesis deleted i.e. =>
"2. The Board Director position is voluntary and requires a significant commitment of time and energy. Please read carefully the description of the time commitment required in the draft mandatory and desirable applicant characteristics document. Is your schedule of activities compatible with a significant allocation of time to contribute to the position of Board Director? Please indicate Yes or No: [alacabsdt: ]

personally I'm very happy with your proposed text for E 3 &4 but will await others comments on that (ASAP please!) i.e. =>
"3. Under the At Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (“BCEC”) procedures, a list of candidates’ names and portions of their Statement of Interest that are not of a personal nature will be published and made publicly available. The rest of your application will be treated as confidential unless you give the BCEC your permission to disclose it or unless the BCEC is consulting your references and conducting third-party reference checks from selected sources on a confidential basis. Third party checks may also be required as part of a due diligence process necessary before we can accept candidates for the position of ICANN Board Director.
Although the BCEC will take reasonable steps to ensure that its confidentiality procedures are followed, Applicants and Selected Candidates shall have no claims against ICANN, the BCEC, or affiliated persons in the event information is disclosed despite our adherence to these procedures.

You also authorize the BCEC to consult with your references, to investigate other information publicly available about you, and to conduct additional third-party reference checks. You will not be entitled to review or access any of the information received, obtained, generated, or considered by the BCEC regarding any Applicant or Selected Candidate, or any of the BCEC’s discussions or deliberations regarding any Applicant or Selected Candidate. Applicants and Selected Candidates have no right to challenge or seek review of the BCEC’s evaluations.

4. You attest that the information supplied by you herein is complete and accurate and provided in good faith.

Please indicate that you understand statements E.3 and E.4 and agree to become a candidate under the conditions described above. Please indicate Yes or No."

Regarding your discussion / Notes ---

A. Whilst reviewing the above statement, it has struck me that we have not said which portions of the Statement of Interest are actually confidential and which portions will be made public. I suggest that we do so. <CLO> Good point I agree perhaps marking the sections in the SOI form with a * or boxed out / shaded in some way and highlight in a side bar, that these bits of information will be treated as confidential by the BCEC unless otherwise agreed to or instructed might be a way to go (I'd prefer to mark or highlight the fewer confidential sections in the form than the other way but open to argument the other way I guess)

B. Section D (which now only contains the references): the original NomCom document also included: "Please ask the person before including their name as a reference and inform them that you have submitted this SOI." - and I suggest that we also include this here.

<CLO> I agree we can add that (although anyone who puts up a reference in an SOI (or EOI/Application) and doesn't ask them / discuss with them worries me a tad ;-(

Cheryl Langdon-Orr
(CLO)

_contributed by langdonorr@gmail.com on 2010-03-30 22:57:26 GMT_

----
I had "issue" with the text in Sec 1. 3 re Contact Numbers saying Preferred preference number one ( and two) so have changed to this>> Also allowed for non PSTS methods to be listed in the ' Any other' section so it now reads =>

3. Contact telephone number(s) (Must include your country and area code):

• First preferred number to use: [alacabsdt: ]

• Second preferred number to use: [alacabsdt: ]

• Any other numbers/methods you wish to list: [alacabsdt: ]

_contributed by langdonorr@gmail.com on 2010-03-30 23:05:17 GMT_

----
in references:
Should be "no fewer than", not "no less than"

_contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2010-04-20 20:18:02 GMT_

---

• No labels

For comments, suggestions, or technical support, please email: program-admin@atlarge.icann.org
© 2016 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers