13:01:41 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Hello, my name is Yeşim Sağlam and I will be monitoring this chat room.  Please note that I will read aloud comments/questions submitted in English within the time set by the Chair of this session.  When submitting a question or comment that you want me to read out loud on the mic,  please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>” or <COMMENT> </COMMENT>. Text outside these quotes will be considered part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the microphone.
13:01:48 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    If you wish to speak during this session, raise your hand in Zoom or queue at the aisle microphone as directed.

On-site Participants may pick up a receiver and use their own headphones to listen to interpretation.  Virtual Participants may access the interpretation via the Zoom Toolbar.

You may access all available features for this session in the Zoom Toolbar. 

Please note that chat sessions are being archived and are governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior.  http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards.
13:24:04 From Joan katambi to Everyone:
    Good morning and greetings to all.
13:24:32 From Jessica Dadzie to Everyone:
    Good Morning to everyone here.. Jessica from Ghana.
13:24:39 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    Greeting to both onsite and online participants
13:25:27 From Jessica Dadzie to Everyone:
    Good Morning Dave
13:25:30 From Shadrach Ankrah to Everyone:
    Good morning everyone, Shadrach Ankrah here. Joining virtually from Ghana.
13:26:04 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    It is really cold in the conference room here
13:26:50 From Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong to Everyone:
    yes  @Dave you are right
13:27:53 From Bill Jouris to Everyone:
    I find it a relief from outside.  :-)
13:28:36 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    @Bill yes when you compare it to the raining outside
13:36:52 From Jessica Dadzie to Everyone:
    Link to join the mailing list please
13:38:31 From Kathy Schnitt - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    @Jessica for NCAP please go here and follow the directions to join the NCAP. https://community.icann.org/display/NCAP/SSAC+Name+Collision+Analysis+Project+%28NCAP%29+Home
13:42:07 From Frank Anati to Everyone:
    hi everyone Frank Anati from Ghana 
13:42:22 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    Thanks for the link Kathy.. Joined already
13:45:09 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    <q> In the previous diagram, when the query is directed to resover M connected to ASN4,  doess the Autonomous system have a role?
13:46:16 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    ... ie, does ASN4 have a direct or indirect role in the hijack, or is that AS also under attack, with a view to cause the misdirect?
13:51:25 From Geoff Huston to Everyone:
    @Sander - the DNS tends to use multiple recursives and multilple authoritative servers, so answering SERVFAIL causes the queries to just move on to the next potential responder
13:52:11 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    Does MANRS track compromised or sometimes malignant ASNs and recommend / take suitable action, be it in the form of support in dealing with the issue if it is a compromise that the AS is not aware of, or delinking the AS from routing in case the AS is malignant?
13:52:47 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    (apologies, if these questions exceed the focus - name collision.
13:52:49 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    )
13:56:51 From Mohammed Awal Alhassan to Everyone:
    Mohammed Awal joining from Ghana, Ghanasig/EGIGFA fellow
13:56:53 From Mohammed Awal Alhassan to Everyone:
    Mohammed Awal joining from Ghana, Ghanasig/EGIGFA fellow
13:59:50 From Rod Rasmussen to Everyone:
    can we have an SSAC member who has the background to answer Sivasubramanian's question chime in?
13:59:55 From Rod Rasmussen to Everyone:
    On Chat
14:01:18 From Suhayb to Everyone:
    can we get the slides?
14:03:45 From Yoshiro Yoneya to Everyone:
    https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/202703916/SSAC-ALAC-75%20Joint%20Meeting%20Slides%20%281%29.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1663429372000&api=v2
14:04:00 From Geoff Huston to Everyone:
    No - the problem ias that "objective trusth" in routing is impossible to come by. There is no clear reference as to what is a "correct" route and what is a maliciously contrived route.
14:04:34 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant) to Everyone:
    @Yoshiro thanks
14:04:38 From Sander Steffann to Everyone:
    Only the operator itself knows what is “correct”. No outside party can validate
14:06:26 From Geoff Huston to Everyone:
    @Sander - even the originator of a route cannot control how the route is propagated through the inter-AS space, so this knowledge of what is “right" and what is "contrived" is elusive and very challenging to try and construct. If it was easy we would've done this decades ago!
14:08:36 From Sander Steffann to Everyone:
    @geoff sorry, only now see your response to my DNS comment. I know that recurors will try other authoritative servers. What confused me is that the presentation said other zones were impacted. You’d expect no impact as resolvers would try other auth servers. So did they hijack all auth IP addresses?
14:08:37 From Geoff Huston to Everyone:
    The message to the DNS community is simple - mitigate the impacts of routing-level attacks by DNSSEC-SIGNING YOUR NAMES!
14:09:23 From Sander Steffann to Everyone:
    Yep. That’s a no-brainer :)
14:09:28 From Geoff Huston to Everyone:
    @Sander - no as far as I am aware there was limited / no cross impact on names other than the intended victim names
14:09:48 From Sander Steffann to Everyone:
    Ah, then the presentation was inaccurate. Thanks!
14:10:26 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    @Sivasubramanian -is this a new hand, or old one?
14:11:07 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    old
14:11:09 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    sorry
14:11:50 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    ok, thanks for confirming, I’ll lower it for you
14:12:29 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    Thank you Yasim
14:12:42 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    my pleasure
14:19:24 From Greg Shatan to Everyone:
    Very well said, Steve -- and an important call to the ALAC to be insistent on the need for data availability.
14:19:30 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    +1 Sebastien
14:20:42 From Greg Shatan to Everyone:
    It's very simple -- Legal persons are natural persons and the whole world is the EU.
14:20:56 From Greg Shatan to Everyone:
    Resistance is futile.
14:21:55 From Sébastien Bachollet to Everyone:
    I am always futile
14:24:53 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    @Sebastien What makes you say that you are futile????  None of what you say or do is.
14:25:50 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    @Siva.. Sebastien is joking
14:26:29 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    Across the chat window sometimes it is difficult to figure out the difference. Sorry Sebasiten
14:26:46 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    Thanks Dave
14:35:01 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    Irrespective of whether a Registrar registers a domain name direct, or if he works through "wholesalers", engages retailers, isn't the Registrar accountable?
14:35:24 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    Thanks the SSAC team.. Very interesting and intuitive session. Looking forward for further interaction
14:35:41 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned.
14:35:42 From Sivasubramanian M to Everyone:
    Thank you
14:35:43 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant) to Everyone:
    Thank you al - bye

• No labels