You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 33 Next »

ALAC  Teleconference

Meeting Number: AL.ALAC/CC.0719/1

Date: Tuesday, 25 February 2020                                   

Time: 02:00 - 04:00 UTC (For the time in various time zones click here)

Zoom Room:

Real time transcription (RTT) link: []

Interpretation Available: Yes ( ES & FR  - Simultaneous)

How can I participate in this meeting? English Conference ID = 1638

¿Cómo se puede participar en la teleconferencia? Spanish Conference ID = 1738

Comment participer a cette teleconference?  French Conference ID = 1838

AF: Abdulkarim Oloyede, Dave Kissoondoyal, Tijani Ben Jemaa

AP: Holly RaicheJustine Chew ,Maureen Hilyard

EUR: Bastiaan Goslings , Joanna Kulesza (apology), Matthias M. Hudobnik

LAC: Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez, Humberto Carrasco, Sylvia Herlein-Leite

NA: Javier Rúa-Jovet , Jonathan Zuck, Marita Moll 

Liaisons: Andrei Kolesnikov(SSAC), Barrack Otieno (ccNSO), Cheryl Langdon-Orr (GNSO), Yrjö Lansipuro (GAC) 


EN: Maureen Hilyard, Vernatius Okwu Ezeama, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Vanda Scartezini, Sebastien Bachollet, Hadia Elimiawi, 

ES: Sylvia Herlein Leite, Sergio Salinas Porto

FR: Ibtissam Kaifouf, 

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdoğdu, Alperen Eken, Claudia Ruiz

Apologies: Joanna Kulesza, Loris Taylor, Yeşim Nazlar (staff)


ES: David and Veronica

FR: Claire and Jacques

Call Management: Claudia Ruiz

Action Items: EN

Adopted Motions: EN

Decisions: EN

Recording: EN, ES, FR

Transcript: EN, ES, FR

Zoom Chat: EN

A G E N D A 

Standing Agenda Items

1. Roll Call and Apologies and Confirmation of Quorum– Staff (4 minutes)

2. Welcome, Aim of the Meeting, Adoption of Agenda and Call for Any Other Business or other Amendments – Maureen Hilyard (5 minutes)

3. Review of ALAC Action Items from 21 January 2020 - Maureen Hilyard (1 minute)

4. ALAC Policy Development Activities - Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Jonathan Zuck and Evin Erdoğdu (25 minutes)

At-Large Policy Resources:

At-Large Capacity Building Workshop - An Introduction to Policy Development at ICANN
2019 ALAC Policy Comments & Advice
At-Large Policy Summary
At-Large Executive Summary page
Multistakeholder Advice Development graphic
Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG)

Recently Ratified by the ALAC (Since last ALAC Monthly Meeting)

Proposed Final Report of the New gTLD Auction Proceeds Cross Community Working Group
Executive Summary TBD

Proposed Dates for ICANN Public Meetings 2024-2028 and Revised Dates in 2022
The ALAC noted that ICANN has been striving to be more inclusive in an effort to engage more volunteers with diverse backgrounds. ICANN acknowledges the difficulty in getting new people to join and engage within ICANN and to increase the diversity of participants. The Multistakeholder Model Work Plan takes note of the importance to ICANN to develop pathways to enable effective participation. One of the more practical ways for ICANN to facilitate participation is for ICANN Org, to be more aware of and to avoid clashing with important holidays and religious days observed by volunteers who work countless hours to improve ICANN’s multistakeholder advisory work. By avoiding these dates as much as possible it is showing all  volunteers that ICANN Org understands their concerns and does its best to avoid conflicts. 

The ALAC made several other suggestions regarding ICANN meeting dates in 2022 and from 2024-2028.

Third Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT3) Draft Report
The ALAC noted the ATRT review has produced a considerable amount of work in little time and this is laudable. Nevertheless, from an end-user perspective, ATRT should consider deliberating the following questions: (1) How can ICANN better address conflicts of interest? The ICANN community is relatively small, with relatively few actors involved in the process. Conflicts of interest, perceived or real, can impact negatively on ICANN’s standing; (2) How can transparency be increased? (3) How can ICANN ensure that in cases where issues persist, processes are initiated to correct trajectory? (For example, if multiple reviews identify the same issue or if they find implementation to be lacking, how can this be fast-tracked transparently and effectively?) (4) Might it be necessary to “silo off” or ring-fence certain functions, including reviews, compliance, and other types of community oversight? (5) How can ICANN improve their responsiveness to community and review team questions and affairs, and what policies should be created to ensure these are dealt with? The ALAC also suggested taking several noted options into consideration, emphasizing from an end user perspective, more, not less, accountability and transparency is required from the ICANN community and org. 

Overall, the ALAC supports the suggested changes to the ICANN Public Comment, public input as well as the accountability indicators. We believe those changes would make the Public Comments more effective and show better transparency. We strongly believe that a wide, open and inclusive process should be maintained in policy development process especially with input representing the multistakeholder environment. Policy development must be transparent, efficient and should not be biased or skewed towards a group.

ALAC Advice to the ICANN Board on ISOC/PIR Issue
The ALAC noted the proposed sale of PIR to Ethos Capital has, understandably, created quite a stir, prompting commentary from many perspectives within the ICANN community, and applauds the efforts by the ICANN Board to clarify and make transparent, as much as possible, the process regarding the deal and to take the time to encourage the best possible result.

The ALAC Advice to the ICANN Board suggested (8) recommendations: (1) The Registry for .ORG must be organized as either a charitable non-profit [501c(3) in the US] or a “Benefit Corporation” (B Corporation); (2) One-third of the Registry Corporate Board must be representatives of charitable nonprofits; (3) One Board member selected by the ALAC; (4) The Registry for .ORG must enshrine in its bylaws that the principal focus of the domain is nonprofits and individuals and not commercial interests; (5) The Registry must enshrine in its bylaws a commitment to free speech and a resistance to takedown demands with a political basis; (6) The Registry must provide 6 months prior written notice to its registrants of any increase in wholesale price of their domain names registration renewal fees and the option of a 20-year renewal thereof at the pre-increase price; (7) The Registry Agreement must enshrine PIR prohibited practices such a bulk sales to commercial registrars; and (8) The Registry Agreement must establish a “DNS Abuse Ceiling”.


Public Comment for Decision

Middle East and Adjoining Countries (MEAC) Strategy 2021-2025  

Current Statements (ALAC Advice, Comment or Correspondence)

5.  Review of current ALS and Individual Member applications – Evin Erdoğdu and Alperen Eken (5 minutes)  

For Information:  ALS application tracking page and Individual Members page

ALS Snapshot



Countries & Territories



















ALS Application Status

Certified (1)


Decertification (0)

Reference: Decertification Wikispace


AFRALO will begin the process of providing evidence to ask the ALAC to decertify MACSIS and several other ALSes, which are no longer active.

Note: AFRALO recently ratified their AFRALO Decertification Rules.

Vote (0)None
Awaiting advice (8)

#313 Women's Technology Empowerment Centre - AFRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #311 Association des Utilisateurs des Technologies de l'Information et de la Communication - AFRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #310 GreenICT Initiative (GreenICTi) - AFRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #305 Battery Operated Systems for Community Outreach Uganda - AFRALO (negative GSE feedback, will move to AFRALO for feedback), #304 Corporacion Asesorias para el Desarrollo de la Innovacion y Tecnologia - Asesorias IT - LACRALO (awaiting GSE feedback), #282 Association pour le Développement des Sociétés de l'Information au Tchad (ADESIT) - AFRALO (awaiting AFRALO feedback)

Due diligence (2)#309 Initiative TIC et Citoyenneté - AFRALO (positive GSE feedback, undergoing due diligence), #288 Liberia Information Technology students Union - AFRALO (awaiting applicant feedback - to confirm with AFRALO whether will be moved to "on hold" status) 
On hold (7)#303 AgeCare Foundation (CRB) - AFRALO, #299/308 China Internet Development Foundation - APRALO (Withdrawn), #297 The Bear Foundation - NARALO (Withdrawn), #292 Asociacion Civil Para la Investigacion Social y Tecnica de Internet (AGEIA España) - EURALO, #270 BSDCongo - AFRALO, #267 Surabhi Softwares, #112 Arab Regional ISPs & DSPs Association (ARISPA) - APRALO 

Individual Snapshot






















Recently accepted: 1- NARALO

Applications: 1 - AFRALO, 1 - APRALO


6.  Reports and Discussion with At-Large Plus Leaders – Introduced by Maureen Hilyard  (10 minutes)

a. Liaisons: ccNSO; GAC, GNSO and SSAC

b. WGs: CPWG and Sub-Committee on Outreach and Engagement


See: At-Large Reports 

See: At-Large Governance

For Discussion

7. Discussion with Leon Sanchez, ICANN Board Vice-Chair and Director Selected by At-Large - Maureen Hilyard (10 minutes)

8. Post ATLAS III/2020 At-Large Activities - Review and Development of Recommendations for the ALAC - Maureen Hilyard and Leads (15 minutes)

  See: Post-ATLAS III Activities



Current Status

Recommendations for the ALAC

Post-ATLAS III ReportingEduardo DiazProgress of survey groups has been slow. Interviews, reports etc have been discussed but no definitive recommendations made as yet. Aim is to have a rough draft by 29 Feb & a final document before the virtual ICANN67 starts.
Policy InvolvementJonathan ZuckIncreased participation in policy development. Plans to engage in 67 delayed.More language assistance on list would be interesting.
Capacity BuildingJoanna KuleszaThree sub-groups are making progress: 1) ICANN Learn Policy Development Course Team; 2) Onboarding Slide Deck Team; 3) Webinars Team
Outreach and Engagement Daniel NanghakaWorking on SC O/E activities related to FY21 Regional O/E Strategies; 
CommunicationsMaureen Hilyard

Communications Strategy Document currently in progress; NPOC and GAC to be included in the development of ICANN Learn courses; GSE discussions held re Pacific Plan; Attended ITI consultation webinar.  

9. ALS Mobilization - Update and Next Steps - Alan Greenberg (5 minutes)

See: ALS Mobilization Working Party

10. ICANN67 - Discussion of how a Virtual Meeting will look - Maureen Hilyard, Jonathan Zuck, Joanna Kulesza and Gisella Gruber (15 minutes)

See: ICANN67 - Cancún Meeting - March 2020

See: ICANN67 - FAQs

      a)  Skeleton of ICANN schedule will be discussed tomorrow at the SO-AC Chairs meeting.

      b) Proposed prioritisation of ICANN67 sessions (At-Large Virtual Programme 8-20 March.pdf)

      c) Availability of Spanish interpretation for At-Large sessions (first language to be rolled out for virtual conferences - in LAC region)

11. AOB - Maureen Hilyard (5 mins)

     a) SO-AC Chairs meeting in LA at the end of Jan 2020 i) Planning and Prioritisation  ii)  Interaction with the Board and ICANN Org   iii) Flexibility Fund 

    b) Request from ccNSO for At-Large volunteers to join their ccPDP3 WG  which will focus on "developing a review mechanism for decisions pertaining to the delegation, transfer, revocation retirement of ccTLDs".  If anyone is interested please contact me and I can send you her letter of invitation about joining up. 


  • No labels