Andrea Glandon: (1/9/2019 13:35) Welcome to the At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) Call held on Wednesday, 09 January 2019 at 21:00 UTC.
  Andrea Glandon: (13:35) Wiki Agenda Page: https://community.icann.org/x/y4oWBg
  Evin Erdoğdu: (14:53) Hello all, welcome
  Lilian Ivette De Luque: (14:53) Hello all happy new year
  Alfredo Calderon: (14:57) Hola de nuevo @Lilian, @Joanna and Staff. Hello to all! Happy New Year for those that celebrate it! As some may know here in Puerto Rico our Christmas ends after the Festivities oe San Sebantian Street.https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.miagendapr.com_event_fiestas-2Dde-2Dla-2Dcalle-2Dsan-2Dsebastian-2D2019_&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=k7uKdjSb7_ZjItyVqrCYHo_rKms9SFxlmbYEJqG-y9I&m=zbkHNAh-igslCOnvkGR3mHAzlp01zMevrDY_-dFe8iY&s=VCSlFoqvCyjZPfspKyX7qVYkCgZyoOh8W0ubxTXR6qM&e=
  Glenn McKnight: (14:58) Hi 
  Lilian Ivette De Luque: (14:59) great alfredo
  Alberto Soto: (15:00) Hello again!
  Alfredo Calderon: (15:01) @Alberto, saludos de nuevo. Hoy ha sido un día largo para varios.
  Lilian Ivette De Luque: (15:01) bastante movido
  Lilian Ivette De Luque: (15:01) hola alberto!
  Alberto Soto: (15:02) Asi es, y no asisti al webinar porque estaba viajando
  Alberto Soto: (15:02) Hola Lilian!!
  Nadira Alaraj: (15:04) o allhell
  Lilian Ivette De Luque: (15:04) hello nadira!
  Nadira Alaraj: (15:04) sorry for  the auto typing 
  Evin Erdoğdu: (15:04) Action Items 19 December: https://community.icann.org/x/fwj_BQ
  John Laprise: (15:05) Sorry for my tardiness
  Nadira Alaraj: (15:05) hi Lillian 
  Abdulkarim Oloyede: (15:05) hi
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:05) hi everyone
  Alberto Soto: (15:05) Hello!  Please, can you call me at 54 11 5368 1318 ?
  Andrea Glandon: (15:05) No slide deck
  Andrea Glandon: (15:05) Hadia is not on the bridge right now, we are trying to reconnect
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:06) thanks @Andrea -- I noticed thus Alan's speaking first
  Andrea Glandon: (15:06) Thank you!
  Andrea Glandon: (15:06) We have Hadia back on audio
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:07) Thanks @Andrea
  Andrea Glandon: (15:07) You're welcome!
  John Laprise: (15:10) Agreed Alan
  Jonathan Zuck: (15:10) it's not about us having clever people. THEY can always comment. It's about interests of end users.
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:13) impossible to udnerstand 
  Sebastien: (15:13) Not understandable
  Alfredo Calderon: (15:13) Difficult to understand...
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:14) sorry hadia you need to be called 
  A- Eduardo Díaz: (15:14) the sound is too choppy
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:14) no 
  John Laprise: (15:15) better for me
  Alfredo Calderon: (15:16) Sounds good.
  Abdulkarim Oloyede: (15:16) gone poor again
  A- Eduardo Díaz: (15:16) No good
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:16)  not better ...
  Alfredo Calderon: (15:16) Sounded better for a moment. 
  Andrea Glandon: (15:17) finding the line
  Christopher Wilkinson: (15:18) Qestion:  I have seen several complaints about the extraterrestrial application of GDPR. Most recently from American Motion Picture Association. How should ICANLN handle that?
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:18) thnaks for the update Alan, does not sound it is going so good as we expected... hope the F2F will be better
  Andrea Glandon: (15:19) Hadia back on the audio bridge
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:19) thanks
  Alfredo Calderon: (15:19) Much better
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:19) much better
  A- Eduardo Díaz: (15:19) LOt better
  Alberto Soto: (15:20) I believe that extraterritoriality is not an ICANN issue, it should be analyzed by governments
  Glenn McKnight: (15:24) We have a  ISOC SIG on Interplanary SIG
  Greg Shatan: (15:25) It’s not really a government issue.  As a practical matter, it’s an issue for private parties.
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:25) There have been concerns about extra-territoriality of GDPR but this really is outside the realm of ICANN
  Vanda Scartezini: (15:25) I agree with greg , is among parties 
  Alberto Soto: (15:26)  It is a subject that each government must see, since it affects a citizen or company in their country.
  Christopher Wilkinson: (15:27) Chat Silence?
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:29) The devil is in the details themselves, and if rules wre adhered to strictly then it might be able to decide what is related and what is not related to ICANN on a domain per domain basis. But the stance that the WG has taken is to put it all in the same bucket.
  Greg Shatan: (15:29) Alberto, on a higher level (e.g., sovereignty) it is also a concern of governments, and some governments may push back on this aspect of GDPR....
  Alberto Soto: (15:30) Ok Greg
  Greg Shatan: (15:33) FYI, the thrust of the MPAA comment on extraterritoriality is that ICANN should not apply GDPR beyond the boundaries set forth in GDPR itself.
  Greg Shatan: (15:34) I don’t read their comment to suggest defying GDPR or the EU.
  John Laprise: (15:35) At my nonprofit, the MPAA position would be and is a non-starter. It's not a defensible position to protect some PII better
  John Laprise: (15:36) The MPAA position would drive registrants to the EU.
  Greg Shatan: (15:36) As I understand the MPAA position, it is simply that the GDPR should be applied as the GDPR says, but no further.
  Greg Shatan: (15:37) In other words, it’s not acceptable to act as if the whole world is the EU.
  Andrea Glandon: (15:37) https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Workspace%3A+Initial+Report+of+the+Expedited+Policy+Development+Process+%28EPDP%29+on+the+Temporary+Specification+for+gTLD+Registration+Data+Team
  Andrea Glandon: (15:38) https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=102139172
  Justine Chew: (15:38) @Evin, FYI I updated the summary for the SubPro Supp Initial Report a little bit on the agenda page.
  Greg Shatan: (15:38) Not sure why that would be a non-starter anywhere, except for the purpose of expediency (or if one wants to adopt a company policy that acts like GDPR outside the scope of GDPR).
  Evin Erdoğdu: (15:38) Thank you @Justine, noted
  John Laprise: (15:38) Right but at the practical level, it protects PII of EU residents "better." Orgs that want stronger privacy protection would find an EU resident surrogate. 
  Greg Shatan: (15:40) True, but that’s because its core intent is to protect “individuals in the Union.”
  Alberto Soto: (15:42)  I'm sorry, I must go to another meeting, bye!
  Maureen Hilyard: (15:42) im assuming that the ALAC will contribute some comment to the strategic plan.. and would appreciate some input from this group - thank you Marita
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:43) I would think so @Maureen
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:43) and YES  I think we should do something in the Specific Review Standards
  Avri Doria: (15:46) As a member of the OEC I personally think having ALAC look at what is changing would be a good.  Things like your review are among the motivators for tweaks.
  Avri Doria: (15:47) even those these are the specific and not organizational
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:49) Indeed @Avri
  Nadira Alaraj: (15:49) good point Avri
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:49) as Did I as an Individual\
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:50) An earlier update in 2018, though: https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Workspace%3A+Next+Steps+on+Reviews  --- which looked at the length of Reviews
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:51) Just the highlights Greg :-)
  Greg Shatan: (15:52) I would have no beef with choosing restaurants in Kobe.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:52) I DID
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:52) both of them
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:53) Agree Alan  so happy to have input and look forward to Gregs Hiighlights review 
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:53) Yes ATRT is VERY limited
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:53) an ALAC comment will be the best if possible
  Greg Shatan: (15:54) I will focus on the top 150 issues.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:54) Some experience indeed!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (15:54) Argh @Greg!!!!
  Evin Erdoğdu: (15:54) Amendment to the IANA Naming Functions Contract, Annex A: https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Workspace%3A+Amendment+to+the+IANA+Naming+Functions+Contract%2C+Annex+A
  Justine Chew: (15:55) @OCL, @JZ, I'd like to give 10 of 15 minutes of item 5.1 in the agenda to the Wt5 presentation which I think needs more time, now more than I do for Neustar's proposal.
  Jonathan Zuck: (15:56) ok
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:57) 5.1 has 15 minutes already. Are you saying it would have 30 minutes?
  Justine Chew: (15:58) @OCL, no, I want to give away 10 minutes to Marita
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:58) ok
  Jonathan Zuck: (15:58) right, a unique perspective
  Greg Shatan: (15:59) Unless there’s a gotcha hidden in the doc, I think we would support it, either by making a statement or by just staying quiet.
  Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond: (15:59) ok -- other way around. Understood. Thx.
  Justine Chew: (16:03) Sorry I don't quite know what happened with the cross icons in the earlier 2 slides
  Maureen Hilyard: (16:06) Agree Avri
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:10) Thank you all so much a very clear, concise and yet comprehensive approach to what we ll recognise as a complex issue
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:11) 22nd Jan is the date
  Greg Shatan: (16:12) Please state the estimate in hours.
  Greg Shatan: (16:12) :-)
  Tijani BEN JEMAA: (16:14) Justine is right
  Greg Shatan: (16:15) Unfortunately, we can’t comment on the slides....
  Alan Greenberg: (16:15) Impressive piece of work on a really complicated area.
  Justine Chew: (16:16) @Greg, use the slides as guide and comment on the googledoc
  Greg Shatan: (16:18) It would be far easier to put the relevant slide content into the Google Doc.
  Greg Shatan: (16:18) Far easier for those commenting on the comment, that is.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:20) audio??
  Andrea Glandon: (16:20) They are calling you back Cheryl
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:20) Oh never mind I will just use AC for the end
  Andrea Glandon: (16:20) okay
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:21) I'm kinda over having the earpiece in anyway (since my 0200 ;-)
  Andrea Glandon: (16:21) :)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:22) Most helpful if you can Evin Thank you
  Greg Shatan: (16:22) Evin, hopefully you have a PPT version so you can cut and paste.
  Greg Shatan: (16:25) WT5 is still a GNSO process....
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:26) It most certainly is Greg a part of the SubPro PDP
  Justine Chew: (16:26) Yes, agree with Marita on the comment of using slides as the guide
  Maureen Hilyard: (16:26) Thank you Justine, Marita and Yrjo for the work you have done on this presentation!
  Greg Shatan: (16:26) although every effort has been made to accommodate all elements of the community (who are welcome to participate in ANY GNSO Working Group).
  Vanda Scartezini: (16:27) thanks to all  very good meeting... need to close form my side. 
  hadia Elminiawi: (16:28) thank you Justine, Marta and yrjo 
  Greg Shatan: (16:28) There is no “official” worldwide list of cities....
  Greg Shatan: (16:29) Jurisdictions have many different definitions of “city”
  Greg Shatan: (16:31) The answer is “it depends”....
  Christopher Wilkinson: (16:31) Cities? I do not see any basis for distinguishing between a 'city' and any other goegraphical term.
  Justine Chew: (16:31) World domination!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:31) ;-)
  Greg Shatan: (16:32) I think one can distinguish between a city and a body of water....
  Andrea Glandon: (16:32) Justine, you have control of the presentation
  Maureen Hilyard: (16:32) Yes Olivier both were to be discussed in the FBSC but we ran out of time at the last meeting
  Greg Shatan: (16:33) I will have to jump off soon as I expect another call.
  Alan Greenberg: (16:34) Need to leave now...\
  Greg Shatan: (16:34) Maybe we should stop calling it the Neustar Proposal.
  Greg Shatan: (16:34) Then we can discuss it.
  Yrjö Länsipuro: (16:35) Yes, Greg. I think the fundamental difference is between (1) administrative units of any size, with a definite area and populatio, under one authority, and (2) geographic features like mountains, valleys etc 
  Greg Shatan: (16:37) Yrjo, the problem with “city” arises when one tries to distinguish cities from other such administrative units.
  A- Eduardo Díaz: (16:37) Need to move on. 
  Greg Shatan: (16:38) I would focus on the substance of the proposal, not looking for ulterior motives.
  Yrjö Länsipuro: (16:41) Greg, perhaps we need to find and invent a term that covers them all
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:41) Agree ALAN THIS IS A MOST USEFUL EXERCISE imo
  Jonathan Zuck: (16:42) its what we should always be doing
  Marita Moll: (16:44) You can get burned @christopher
  Justine Chew: (16:45) Noted @Sebasties
  Justine Chew: (16:45) Noted @Sebastien sorry typo
  Alan Greenberg: (16:45) Not just a long time ago. Recently as well.
  Alan Greenberg: (16:46) The specifics of the proposal are subject to discussion. But this is an opportunity that is TOO GOOD TO IGNORE.
  Alan Greenberg: (16:46) And those caps were intentional.
  Justine Chew: (16:47) @Alan, absolutely -- Jeff opened the door for us and At-Large should stick our foot in it.
  Justine Chew: (16:48) @Tijani, I'm sorry I didn't get your question
  Marita Moll: (16:48) I also thought that Alexander's proposal made sense
  Tijani BEN JEMAA: (16:50) ok, was this a request from the WG co-chairs to get the feedback of the SO/AC about the Neustar proposal?
  Justine Chew: (16:51) @Tijani, it was a request from Jeff Neuman in his capacity as co-lead of Sub-Group A
  Justine Chew: (16:51) to all SGs
  Justine Chew: (16:52) who have representatives on Sub-Group A
  Tijani BEN JEMAA: (16:53) Ok, thx a lot Justine
  Abdulkarim Oloyede: (16:53) Yes it is not qite clear. there seams to be an over lap
  Christopher Wilkinson: (16:53) Good night. Thankyou everyone.  CW
  Greg Shatan: (16:53) There will be some more objections, in place of contentions.
  Alan Greenberg: (16:53) The policy page will guide Justine and others in their participation in the PDP.
  Alfredo Calderon: (16:53) Bye to all!
  Justine Chew: (16:53) Thank you, all, for your inputs.
  Greg Shatan: (16:53) OCL, you are always flying.
  Andrea Glandon: (16:54) yes
  Andrea Glandon: (16:54) 13:00 UTC
  Abdulkarim Oloyede: (16:54) ys 1300
  Marita Moll: (16:54) Yes, okay with me
  Tijani BEN JEMAA: (16:55) Ok for me
  Greg Shatan: (16:55) It’s awkward but I can make it work.,
  Justine Chew: (16:55) I think so
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:55) Earlier will clash with SubPro
  Justine Chew: (16:56) And I have RPM at 17:UTC for 1 hour
  Greg Shatan: (16:56) When the heck is SubPro?
  hadia Elminiawi: (16:56) thank you All
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:56) Thanks everyone  there really is a LOT of great work being done in these calls IMO very encouraging I must say!!!  Bye for now...
  Abdulkarim Oloyede: (16:56) thanks
  hadia Elminiawi: (16:56) bye
  Abdulkarim Oloyede: (16:56) bye for today
  Greg Shatan: (16:56) Have a mean time in Greenwich!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:56) Try running it as +11 UTC in the antipodeas
  Marita Moll: (16:56) Yes, see you all next week
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (@CLO3): (16:56) BYe
  Gordon Chillcott: (16:57) Thanks and bye for now.
  Kaili Kan: (16:57) Thank you all.  Bye!
  Avri Doria: (16:57) bye, thanks
  Maureen Hilyard: (16:57)  Thanks everyone - great discussino for sure

• No labels