ASTATUS <p><ac:structured-macro ac:name="status" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="c3f95ab9-5073-423f-8da9-13a404a907b0"><ac:parameter ac:name="colour">Green</ac:parameter><ac:parameter ac:name="title">approved</ac:parameter></ac:structured-macro></p> DESCRIPTION <h1>EURALO Trip Reports for CROPP17 – attendance at EuroDIG Tallinn</h1><p class="Default"><strong> </strong></p><p class="Default">This document contains the CROPP FY17 reports from travellers benefiting from the CROPP programme. This year, EURALO’s five CROPP slots were used on attendance of EuroDIG, the European Dialogue in Internet Governance, taking place in Tallinn, Estonia. EuroDIG is widely understood to be the European Regional Internet Governance Forum (IGF).</p><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default">This year it included six hundred participants, including very high level participants:</p><p class="Default"><br /></p><ul><li>Dalia Grybauskaitė, President of Lithuania</li><li>Erna Solberg, Norwegian Prime Minister</li><li>Giorgi  Cherkezishvili, Deputy Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia</li><li>Göran Marby, CEO and President of ICANN</li><li>Kersti Kaljulaid, President of Estonia</li><li>Larry Strickling, Former Assistant Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce</li><li>Marina Kaljurand, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Estonia and now Chair of the Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace</li><li>Pearse O&apos;Donohue, Acting Director for Future Networks, DG CONNECT, European Commission</li><li>Peter Eriksson, Swedish Minister Enterprise and Innovation</li><li>Sally Shipman Wentworth, ISOC Vice President of Global Policy Development</li><li>Siim Sikkut, Chief Information Officer of Estonia<ul><li>Sven Mikser, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Estonia</li></ul></li></ul><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default">More information on <a href="https://www.eurodig.org/index.php?id=76">https://www.eurodig.org/index.php?id=76</a></p><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default">Of the five CROPP travellers, unfortunate travel booking circumstances severely curtailed the involvement of two. The reports of the other three travellers are included below, copied verbatim but with formatting/typeset amendments for continuity. The reports demonstrate that once again, attendance at EuroDIG was beneficial both to the travellers themselves but also to EURALO, as considerable outreach was performed.</p><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default"><strong> </strong></p><p><br /></p><h2>EuroDIG Tallinn 5 June to 7 June 2017 - Matthias Markus Hudobnik</h2><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default">The European Dialogue on Internet Governance 2017 was the unique opportunity to meet personalities from governments, science, business, technology and civil society for an inspiring dialogue in Tallinn. Through the EuroDIG conference I became a profounder understanding of this open multistakeholder platform after my first step into the ICANN community by the participation of the NextGen@ICANN Program at the conference in Copenhagen in March 2017.</p><p class="Default">Attended panels:</p><p class="Default"><br /></p><ul><li>William Drake – Forced data localization and barriers to cross-border data flows: toward a multistakeholder approach</li><li>How I am affected by Internet Governance?</li><li>Alice in wonderland – mapping the cybersecurity landscape in Europe and beyond</li><li>Realizing rights online – from human rights discourses to enforceable stakeholder responsibilities</li><li>Blockchain Technology and Internet governance</li><li>Domain names innovation and competition</li><li>The EU copyright reform’s proposal – which impacts on users’ fundamental rights?</li><li>Stress testing the multistakeholder model in cybersecurity</li></ul><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default">One of my preferred panels was <em>´Alice in wonderland – mapping the cybersecurity landscape in Europe and beyond´ </em>which illuminated the challenges in terms of regulation, economic aspects, technical developments and the widespread impact of cyberattacks. Also a very fascinating education session was <em>´Blockchain Technology and Internet governance’</em>. The main aim of this session was to emphasize how this innovation might affect cyberspace, current and potential uses and what challenges will arise through this new technology evolution.</p><p class="Default"><br /></p><p class="Default">Moreover, I want to point out that I acquired a diverse knowledge in different aspects of cybersecurity, cybercrime, domain names innovation, human rights, media and content dedicated on the European region; especially the contribution of EURALO and their role in the ALAC constituency and the whole Internet ecosystem of ICANN.</p><p class="Default">Finally, I would like to thank ICANN for the CROPP funding and the great opportunity for a newcomer to attend this very interesting and very well organized event. Last but not least, I thank Roberto Gaetano, Wolf Ludwig and Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond for their very helpful and welcoming step into the event and the community itself.</p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><h2>CROP Trip Report from Annette Muehlberg</h2><p><br /></p><table><tbody><tr><td><p align="center"><strong>Trip/Event in sufficient detail<br /> that an interested reader could understand Who,<br /> What, When, Where, and Why concerning this<br /> funded CROPP activity (please be as expansive<br /> as possible):  </strong></p></td><td><p>Taking part in the tenth European Dialogue on Internet Governance 2017 was a great opportunity to get in touch with the current European technical, business and scientific community as well as high ranking politicians, civil society and especially internet users. The EuroDIG in Tallinn was very interesting, up to date on political and technical challenges and well organized.</p><p><br /></p><p>As a former chair of the ALAC who concentrated the work on setting up Regional At-Large organisations in 2006/2007 and being a member of the board of EURALO it was great to be able to share some knowledge on ICANN and multistakholderism with the newcomers and receive inputs on their special interests. The time for questions in workshops and panels was also a good chance to make EURALO more public and get in touch with people afterwards and do outreach. The ICANN booth was also very helpful in this respect.</p><p>The EuroDIG gave the chance to understand the political strategies of presidents, a prime minister as well as the CEO and President of ICANN. Apart from that, I took part in many panels and workshops. From how to build a digital society, how to realize rights online and <a href="https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Realizing_rights_online_%E2%80%93_from_human_rights_discourses_to_enforceable_stakeholder_responsibilities_%E2%80%93_WS_01_2017" title="Realizing rights online – From human rights&#xa; discourses to enforceable stakeholder&#xa; responsibilities">enforceable stakeholder responsibilities</a>, the Next Generation Internet and the future of the Internet to Human rights and IoT, as well as International trade agreements and Internet governance. Also, I was one of the panellists on the issue of how the digital revolution changes our work life, moderated by the ICANN board member Rinalia Abdul Rahim.</p></td></tr><tr><td><p><strong>2) Explain the extent to which the Proposed<br /> Goals and Outcomes were accomplished<br /> <em>(see above LINK to review the original Proposal)</em>:  </strong></p></td><td><p>As mentioned above, the goal to do outreach for EURALO, share knowledge on ICANN and multistakholderism and deepen the knowledge on relevant questions for internet users in workshops and panels was accomplished.</p></td></tr><tr><td><p align="center"><strong>3) Additional information pertaining <br /> to this outreach Trip/Event <em>(optional)</em>:</strong></p></td><td><p>I would like to thank ICANN for the CROPP funding and the great opportunities to exchange knowledge with newcomers and to attend this very interesting event. I hope that I could also contribute a little bit to this event and interest some folks in the work of EURALO.</p></td></tr></tbody></table><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><h2>EuroDIG Tallinn 5 June to 7 June 2017 – Andrei Kolesnikov</h2><p><strong> </strong></p><p>The EuroDIG 2017 event in Tallinn provided good opportunity to/for:</p><p>1) awareness of recent changes and new things in overall Internet governance in EU,</p><p>2) meet with various stakeholders of the internet governance dialogue,</p><p>3) learn about government strategies in ICT development towards digital economy and services.</p><p><br /></p><p>The core mission, to promote ATLARGE/EURALO/ICANN values was achieved in multiple dialogues with EuroDIG participants.</p><p><br /></p><p>The most interesting meeting took place on June 6th with developers of the egovernment program of Estonia.</p><p><br /></p><h3>Attended panels:</h3><p><br /></p><p>William Drake – Forced data localization and barriers to cross-border data flows: toward a multistakeholder approach. I was a member of the panel with raised question about personal data management, sharing particular example of state regulations in various countries: from non control to tight governmental control of privacy data.</p><p><br /></p><p>Plenary panel with Kersti Kaljulaid, Dalia Grybauskaitė and leading e-government expert Siim Sikkut gave a lot of sense regarding operational and architectural issues of modern state ICT facing the citizen. The balance between power and privacy was among important issues discussed.</p><p><br /></p><p>Open mic session: how I’m affected by Internet governance gave sometime curious and little bit naïve input from participants.</p><p><br /></p><p>Session: mapping the cybersecurity landscape in Europe and beyond – live examples of the impact on regular internet users, including denial of services and confusion with DNS.</p><p><br /></p><p>Blockchain Technology and Internet governance session was a teaser to the new era of the fact-recording technology. It was kind of useful in the light of end user experience.</p><p><br /></p><p>Domain names innovation and competition session was traditionally visited: The EU copyright reform’s proposal – which impacts on users’ fundamental rights?</p><p><br /></p><p>Stress testing the multistakeholder model in cybersecurity.</p><p><br /></p><p>On June 6<sup>th</sup> I spent 2 times during session breaks at the ICANN booth, communicated with participants regarding ICANN and its ATLARGE stakeholder group.</p><p><br /></p><h2>CROPP Trip Report from Gleb Pyzhov</h2><p> </p><p>Participation in EuroDIG 2017 in Tallinn was an excellent opportunity for me to get acquainted with various aspects of Internet governance in the European Union.</p><p>I was fortunate to get to know and talk with leading experts and developers of egovernment and digital economy programs.</p><p>I participated in various meetings these days. It was very interesting to discuss the crucial issues of the balance between power and private life at the plenary session with the participation of the heads of state and government of European countries, President of Estonia Kirsti Kaliulaid, Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite, Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg, Estonian Foreign Minister Sven Mikser, ICANN President Göran Marby.</p><p>Substantive discussions took place also on panels of cybersecurity, the protection of personal data and state control over confidentiality.</p><p>An interesting meeting was held on June 6 with the developers of the egovernment program in Estonia.</p><p>I consider it extremely interesting and useful to exchange opinions with people on whom the development of the digital society largely depends, which gives an opportunity to take a fresh look at the current situation on the Internet and its impact on society as a whole.</p><p> </p><p>Sincerely, Gleb Pyzhov.</p><p><br /></p> OUTCOMES <p>See response to (1) as this contains the reports from four travellers.</p> INFOEVAL <p>See response to (1) as this contains the reports from four travellers.</p><p>BR: Added PDF shared by Olivier Crepin Leblond which includes the full report from four travellers. </p><p><ac:structured-macro ac:name="view-file" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="8966abcd-a918-46ea-801b-e93b0b7e5f35"><ac:parameter ac:name="name"><ri:attachment ri:filename="EURALO Trip Reports for CROPP17 v2.pdf" /></ac:parameter><ac:parameter ac:name="height">250</ac:parameter></ac:structured-macro></p> COMPLETED 2017-09-15 00:00:00.0 UTC ACK-1 Yes ACKNAME-1 Olivier Crépin-Leblond ACKDATE-1 2017-09-15 00:00:00.0 UTC ACKNOTES-1 The above report is a result of the response from 3 of the 5 travellers. A PDF copy of the report, including better formatting, is available. All reports were filed by travellers in June or July 2017. ACK-2 Yes ACKNAME-2 Olivier Crépin-Leblond ACKDATE-2 2017-09-15 00:00:00.0 UTC ACKNOTES-2 EURALO Chair has read the reports and accepted them. Some reports were copied to the EURALO discussion list. The others were circulated among EURALO leadership. We believe that the reports provide a fair record of the traveller activities at EuroDIG17. ACKNAME-3 Benedetta Rossi ACKNOTES-3 Shared with Jean-Jacques Sahel and Alexandra Kulikova. ACK-3 Yes ACKDATE-3 2017-09-18 00:00:00.0 UTC