Meeting Number: AL.ALAC/CC.0809/4
Date: Tuesday, 25 August 2009
Time: 20h00 - 21h00 UTC
13:00 PDT, 16:00 EDT, 17:00 Buenos Aires, 21:00 London, 22:00 CEST, 23:00 Nairobi, 04:00(+1) Singapore/Hong Kong, 06:00(+1) Sydney
Adobe Connect Room: http://icann.na3.acrobat.com/alacceo25082009/
The Chair of the ALAC has requested that Rod Beckstrom, ICANN President and CEO, join a teleconference with ALAC to discuss how At-Large might become more integrally engaged in ICANN's external relations, such as with respect to the IGF and intergovernmental organisations.
Interpretation Available: NO
A G E N D A
- Introductions (very brief) of those attending
- "Regional Events" and Issues: How can RALOs and Regional leaders in At-Large work with Rod & relevant staff on a regional basis?
- Regional IGF Preparatory Meetings
- *TLD meetings
- Other meetings - national Internet related meetings
- Information submitted to governments by At-Large community members with information about ICANN included (see below)
- Other Internet meetings where At-Large members are attending
- Global Events and Issues: How can At-Large participate more effectively alongside other ICANN communities, Rod and relevant staff?
- Annual IGF Events
- Intergovernmental or Governmental meetings on Internet issues
- Other meetings with Internet-governance elements
- Coordination: Are there opportunities for greater coordination between At-Large and ICANN corporate's external relations efforts?
- Ensuring External Relations staff are aware of community members attending meetings
- Ensuring community is aware of what events External Relations is attending
- How can a two-way system of information-sharing be created?
- Budget Issues: Staff/At-Large interaction on budgeting increasingly constructive / effective; how can this be applied in the context of the discussion in items 2, 3, and 4 above
Item 2.4: An example of this is the inclusion of the ICANN model in "Iterative policy learning" through decentralised spaces, in the recent briefing paper and recommendation endorsements from Public Sphere 2: Government 2.0 in Australia (see p15 of the PDF version). Note a Handover of this Report and Q&A with the Australian Govt 2.0 Task Force is being held on Aug 21
Item 3: At-Large Staff and the community are maintaining a calendar of the events that At-Large members are attending, or which they think are important and should be attended by someone in ICANN, but which are not ICANN-sponsored. This shared resource could have others added to it and become a collaboration of the kind discussed in Item 3. The calendar can be found at http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=0cutm6ftq8gt115g02arka0858%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Etc/GMT
It is important to understand that ICANN or surrogates must be present at IGF-type events, if only to ensure that the confusion about the ICANN remit and how that might intersect with the broader IG issues are aired with knowledge behind them.
I shan't participate this time for I shall be attending the Caribbean Internet Governance Forum hosted by the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU) in St. Kitts from Monday 24th thru Friday, 28th August.
contributed by carlton.samuels on Aug 23 1:37pm
It is difficult for me to attend the call at 4:00am in Beijing, especially I'm busy with the organization of the series of the Internet meeting for AP Region for the whole week. My update is that APRALO's workshop proposal "Flourishment of Asia-Pacific Traditional and Indigenous Knowledge on the Internet" has been approved by IGF. Please refer to http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/chronocontact/?chronoformname=WSProposals2009View&wspid=117
We are looking forware to working with the other ICANN people who are going to the IGF 2009.
Contributed by Hong Xue
contributed by Guest User on Aug 23 7:58pm