Follow up notes:
- Send out leadership appointments to the mailing list to confirm support from the group. Staff will confirm that the Council does not need to approve the SSC leadership team.
- Staff will assemble a document listing tasks of the EC Admin and the probability that events triggering these tasks will occur.
- Staff will conduct a Doodle poll for the meeting next week, including the option of Monday at 13:00 UTC.
1. Roll call: In attendance - Julf, Maxim, Osvaldo, Poncelet, Susan, Renata, Guillemaut
2. Confirmation of Chair / Vice-Chair(s)
- Within the charter, there is flexibility in the structure of the leadership team.
- Helpful to have more than one person in leadership role so that individuals can substitute in as needed.
Poncelet Ileleji: Proceed with Chairing for me +1
Osvaldo Novoa: I am OK with your chair, and thank you for it.
Maxim Alzoba: I am not against the current Chair.
- Julf and Maxim volunteered for vice/co-chair roles.
- May be useful to have two vice/co-chairs, workload may be heavy at times and we may need extra backup.
- Agreement on the call - Susan as chair, Maxim and Julf as vice-chairs.
- Revisiting RDS Review Team selection --
- SOs and ACs have not met yet.
- The ccSNO provided a letter indicating that they didn't feel they could confirm any nomination without knowing the exact scope of the RDS RT.
- It is not clear if they will provide candidates once the scope is defined.
- ASO and SSAC did not have any candidates requesting their endorsement, leaving additional slots available.
3. Review SSC assignment in relation to GNSO representative for Empowered Community (EC) Administration
- Develop criteria and selection
- Following Council approval, carry out selection process
4. Review role of the Empowered Community Administration and GNSO representative (see summary attached)
5. Review Bylaw provision relating to Decisional Participant Representative to EC Admin
- Regarding role in moderating community forums --
- From the Bylaws: "The EC Administration shall manage and moderate the Approval Action Community Forum in a fair and neutral manner."
- There are different actions for which a community forum will be needed. Can be done and at ICANN meetings or through teleconference.
Renata Aquino Ribeiro: so ec rep will approve stuff on community forum w/out going through GNSO council too
Marika Konings: @Renate - no
- Clarification - it is not for the EC Admin to make any decisions of substance, but any input will need to considered by Decisional Participants (in the GNSO case, the GNSO Council) to direct the EC Admin representatives
- ICANN59 will be a test case on the specific implementation
Maxim Alzoba: about basic understanding of financial operations for candidates into "5" - they will need to be able "• Approve Fundamental Bylaw and Articles amendments, and Asset Sales
Maxim Alzoba: to approce asset sales it is good to be aware of the basic ideas in finances
- Takeaway from Maxim's comment - representative should have some knowledge and understanding of finance.
- Marika: No, the EC Admin will not make a determination. The only role of the EC Admin representative is the communicate the determination of the GNSO Council.
- Would the representative need this knowledge to share message between EC admin and GNSO Council? –
Envisioned as a purely administrative body in the bylaws and other documentation, but it may be helpful to talk to GNSO Council leadership about their expectations for implementation.
Maxim Alzoba: Who is in charge of assessment of the GNSO candidates for the EC seat? is it just GNSO Council or is it SSC and then GNSO Council?
Marika Konings: @Maxim - SSC is first expected to propose the criteria and process for GNSO Council approval. Following that it would likely ask the SSC to run the selection process following which the Council would confirm the appointment.
- Representative needs to be aware of Council decisions, history, and activities, therefore it may make sense for the rep to come from the Council and perhaps a membership of the leadership team.
- Possible skills discussed by group: diplomatic, intelligent, good communication skills, familiarity with GNSO Council actions (possibly former Council member?)
- Possible selection criteria discussed by group: letters of support from GNSO bodies
6. Review / brainstorm questions that will need to be addressed by the SSC in order to decide on a process and criteria
- How much of time committment is required for this position? What is the role expected to entail?
7. Confirm next steps & next meeting