Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:  Andreea Brambilla, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Farzaneh Badii, Greg Shatan, Herb Waye, Isaac Maposa, Jorge Villa, Julf Helsingius, Kavouss Arasteh, Rosalia Morales, Sebastien Bachollet, Steve DelBianco, Tatiana Tropina, Tom Dale   (15)

Observers/Guests:  Mark Carvell

Staff:  Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, Karen Mulberry, Nathalie Vergnolle   (4)

Apologies:  

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

0.  Call Administration 

1. Review of any AI's from call #18 on January 26th @1300 UTC 
 see  https://community.icann.org/x/9a-DAw[community.icann.org]

2. Any Updates: 

3. Discussion,  current DRAFT documentations  readings and review.  

a) Data Capture documentation of input materials from SOAC's - As agreed in last week's call, while exploring methodology, we will review and discuss, the single topic from this track from the data capture exercise, 'Outreach' as an activity that is an aspect of participation, is for todays Agenda... see reference drafts (PDF and Word) attached to the email from Farzaneh Badii received to list https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ws2-so_ac yesterday . Here is the link to google doc : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O8giARUBR2qPNED7c-XbWVSZmtCbqE0HsXb5MPPhG5E/edit?usp=sharing[docs.google.com]

4. Next Meeting and future Meeting schedule 

·  09 February @ 05:00 UTC

·  16 February @ 13:00 UTC

·  02 March @ 05:00 UTC

5. AOB and review of any AI's.  

Notes (including relevant parts of chat)

0. Call Administration 

No audio only participants.

Roll call will be taken from the AC room.

No SOI update.

No request for change to agenda.

1. Review of any AI's from call #18 on January 26th @1300 UTC 

All action items can be found here:   https://community.icann.org/x/9a-DAw[community.icann.org]

2. Any Updates: 

No updates from anyone.

3. Discussion,  current DRAFT documentations  readings and review.  

a) Data Capture documentation of input materials from SOAC's - As agreed in last week's call, while exploring methodology, we will review and discuss, the 
single topic from this track from the data capture exercise, 'Outreach' as an activity that is an aspect of participation, is for todays Agenda... see reference 
drafts (PDF and Word) attached to the email from Farzaneh Badii received to list https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ws2-so_ac yesterday . Here is the link to google doc : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O8giARUBR2qPNED7c-XbWVSZmtCbqE0HsXb5MPPhG5E/edit?usp=sharing[docs.google.com]

Steve: we received a very detailed response from ALAC.

Transparency:

Steve walked through the document he produced, and opened discussion on the draft recommendation proposed regarding SO/AC transparency.

Kavouss: 4th bullet - I would suggest that SO/AC meetings be normally open, and closed meetings be an exception, and be so declared, with an explanation.

No objection from group, text will be edited to reflect this change.

Outreach:

Steve walked through the BC's response on outreach.

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: GAC has membership of 170 national and territory government. We outreach to the remaining governments through the 
biennial High Leel Governmental Meeting when Minsters from GAC and NonGAC member governments are invited. Also individual governments and 
IGOs also do outreach to the non-members - e.g. UK has been in contact with Bangladesh administration. 

This will be added to GAC's response.

Steve walked through the draft recommendation drafted by Farzaneh, and outlined that these recommendations are less specific than the ones on transparency.

Greg: these should be further developed.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): I can not speak for ALAC of course but I suspect they and At-Large also would see 'effective' Outreach being strengthened as important 

Farzaneh: I agree and will modify the recommendations to be more action oriented.

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: Agree - important to make specific recommendations in this exercise to SOs and ACs "to consider adopting as general practice...." 

Steve DelBianco: For example, I would restate Recc 5 to be:  Each AC/SO should have a strategy for outreach to parts of their targeted community that 
may not be adequately represented at the time. 

Kavouss: I agree it should be more textual. 

Action (Outreach sub team): reach out to the group through the mailing list to collect additional inputs and further develop the recommendations on the Outreach section.  

Participation:

Kavouss: Participation needs to discussed.

Steve: the topic of participation has not been worked on by this subgroup, we won't be able to cover this topic today.

4. Next Meeting and future Meeting schedule 

·  09 February @ 05:00 UTC

·  16 February @ 13:00 UTC

·  02 March @ 05:00 UTC 

5. AOB and review of any AI's.  

Suggestion for topics for discussion for next week? We also need volunteers to draft recommendations by then.

Steve: I would suggest to discuss participation

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: Agreed - diversity of active participation in policy matters and development is  crucial issue.

Cheryl: suggest we limit the discussion to Participation methods and mechanisms.

Tatiana volunteers to work on this topic.

Documents Presented 

Action Item:

• Action (Outreach sub team): reach out to the group through the mailing list to collect additional inputs and further develop the 
    recommendations on the Outreach section. 

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (2/2/2017 12:41) Good day all and welcome to SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #19 on 2 February @ 19:00 UTC!

Kavouss Arasteh: (12:44) Hi Brenda

Kavouss Arasteh: (12:44) I can not open URLs ?

Brenda Brewer: (12:48) Hello Kavouss.

Brenda Brewer: (12:49) https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1O8giARUBR2qPNED7c-2DXbWVSZmtCbqE0HsXb5MPPhG5E_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=h0L_hOveXUCFTbOTsSpeaDPOeeUh0yvcSBv_3JiLySI&s=6gIhUXECzMso83EeODaDtBwMvtQNQ7Io3va86KDI3Mk&e=

Kavouss Arasteh: (12:51) Tks

Brenda Brewer: (12:52) or you can find the documents here;  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_XI3RAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=h0L_hOveXUCFTbOTsSpeaDPOeeUh0yvcSBv_3JiLySI&s=0eO2IM30alDhlm-Gz2ljrdrVk3oVzpd-eL0fFyCW99g&e=

Julf Helsingius: (12:58) Evening all!

Herb Waye Ombuds: (13:02) Greetings from LA

Kavouss Arasteh: (13:03) Welcome Herb

Herb Waye Ombuds: (13:04) Thank you Kavouss

Steve DelBianco: (13:04) Brenda -- could you please load the Google Doc?

Rosalía Morales: (13:05) hi everyone!

avri doria: (13:07) i can add something on capture in the next days.

avri doria: (13:11) indeed i beleive they should all be opne, but i am not sure that all members of NCSG agree.  have not had a discussion on it lately.

avri doria: (13:12) i said that NCSG face to face were generally opne, including remote.

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:13) All GAC physical meetings are open.

avri doria: (13:13) some Executive Committee meeting may not be. Policy ones generally are.

Steve DelBianco: (13:17) Outreach begins on page 5 of the doc in Adobe

avri doria: (13:18) well all particpants are supposed to be SOI'ed

avri doria: (13:19) then again if anon does not say anything does not really matter.

Kavouss Arasteh: (13:20) Steve, I HAVE A QUESTION ON ONE OF YR rEC.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:20) of course @Avri,  but on phone only not sure how you can choose to rename even if you choose to

Kavouss Arasteh: (13:20) tKS

Kavouss Arasteh: (13:21) I found answer to my question

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:21) so OK now @Kavouss

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:22) p4

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:25) GAC has membership of 170 national and territory government. We outreach to the remaining governments through the biennial High Leel Governmental Meeting when Minsters from GAC and Non-GAC member governments are invited. Also individual governments and IGOs also do outreach to the non-members - e.g. UK has been in contact with Bangladesh administration.

avri doria: (13:30) guess NCSG should contribute something on our outreach cruft as well.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:31) I can not speak for A

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:32) ALAC of course but I suspect they and At-Large also would see 'effective' Outreach being strengthened as important

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:33) Outreach does need to be fit for purpose

Farzaneh Badii: (13:37) Hi sorry I am just done with my other compulsory meeting!

Farzaneh Badii: (13:38) noted Steve. I will modify it

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:41) Agree - important to make specific recommendations in this exercise to SOs and ACs "to consider adopting as general practice...."

Steve DelBianco: (13:41) For example, I would restate Recc 5 to be:  Each AC/SO should have a strategy for outreach to parts of their targeted community that may not be adequately represented at the time.

Farzaneh Badii: (13:43) Thanks Steve

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:46) @Farzaneh -excuse my typos in the text and please tweak to read "...biennial ICANN High Level Governmental Meeting...."

Farzaneh Badii: (13:46) noted Mark

Kavouss Arasteh: (13:47) Mark ,may you further elaborate what do you mean by that

Steve DelBianco: (13:47) Mark, here is whatI added to the doc:  GAC has membership of 170 national and territory government. GAC does outreach to the remaining governments through the biennial ICANN High Level Governmental Meeting, where Ministers from GAC and Non-GAC member governments are invited. Also, individual governments and IGOs also do outreach to the non-members - e.g. UK has been in contact with Bangladesh administration.

Steve DelBianco: (13:48) Participaton and Accountability are the 2 topics we need to review and recommend next

Steve DelBianco: (13:48) we need some help drafting ...

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:48) No need to refer to the UK example of individual outreach in the text.

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:50) @ Kavouss - not sure what you are querying. In London we invited Saudi Arabia, Lesotho and Bangladesh for example.

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:51) Agreed - diversity of active participation in policy matters and development is  crucial issue.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (13:52) exactly @Mark

Farzaneh Badii: (13:53) Thank you

Steve DelBianco: (13:54) but the question is, WHO will do the drafting on Participation???

Steve DelBianco: (13:54) please don't leave everythng to Farzi and I !-- or we will "capture" this working group !

Farzaneh Badii: (13:55) :)

Tatiana Tropina: (13:57) Farz, I promised to help with darfting, I will try to jump in this week

Tatiana Tropina: (13:57) *drafting

Steve DelBianco: (13:58) Thanks, Tatiana!

Farzaneh Badii: (13:58) Thank you

Kavouss Arasteh: (13:59) Imay contribute to that small group but not as editor

Julf Helsingius: (13:59) Thank you!

Tatiana Tropina: (13:59) Thanks all - great job! Bye.

Farzaneh Badii: (13:59) Bye

avri doria: (13:59) bye

Mark Carvell  UK GAC rep: (13:59) Thanks - very good progress!