Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:   Athina Fragkouli, Carolina Aguerre, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Fiona Asonga, Julie Hammer, Lito Ibarra, Lousewies van der Laan, Niels ten Oever, Olivier Muron, Pam Little, Rafik Dammak, Sebastien Bachollet, Sonigitu Ekpe, Taylor Bentley, Tijani Ben Jemaa   (15)

Staff:  Alice Jansen, Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Elizabeth Andrews, Mandy Carver

Apologies:  Olga Cavalli, Finn Petersen

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1. Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies 

2. Welcome - Opening Remarks  

3. Discussion of our mandate/remit and purpose as outlined by WS1. 

4. Brief Presentation    

5. Discuss the work plan    

6. AOB / Next Meeting 

Notes

1. Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies 

• Per Adobe participants list

2. Welcome - Opening Remarks  

• Rafik Dammak and Fiona Asonga co-chairing.

3. Discussion of our mandate/remit and purpose as outlined by WS1. 

• Fiona Asonga: General presentation on WS2

4. Brief Presentation (Comments) 

• Rafik Dammak: Definition of diversity in the ICANN context? What areas shall we focus on? What can we use as inputs? What other experiences can we learn from? We are also 
      waiting for the background paper from staff.
    • Sebastien Bachollet: We would need more data on diversity beyond what was presented by AFNIC. If there is not more it could be one of our tasks to build such data.
    • Julie Hammer: need to understand how we define  (or describe may be more realistic) diversity is needed to understand what type of data we want to collect. It could also be that different 
      aspects of diversity could be different for different groups. As such some aspects of diversity could/should be best addressed in those groups.
    • Tijani Ben Jemaa: there is quite a bit of difference on the information - would be good to have a solid base. Not all aspects of diversity are more key than others.
    • Niels ten Oever: many people have been thinking about diversity and we should look at the literature and compare to what we have in ICANN. We need to understand what we are 
      talking about - email lists, staff, Board etc. Maybe not all are on the same level.
    • Fiona Asonga: Agree NTO. need to define diversity. What is important for us is to understand what diversity we are looking at - technical, geographiical, gender etc.
    • Niels ten Oever: +1 having everyone define their own requirements will be messy
    • Niels ten Oeverand will mess up indicators. Niels ten Oever: One could think of geographic, gender, orientation, age, minorities, time involved, education, expertise, etc
    • Fiona Asonga: we will move the discussion to the list as to which should be the areas we focus on.
    • Tijani BEN JEMAA: language and culture diversity are key
    • Lousewies van der Laan: I think its key to have an atmosphere that is open and inclusive, so that all minorities, including sexual ones feel welcome.
    • Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)absolutely for us in ICANN  IMO  should be *inclusiveness, opportunity to participation  (here I mean  both minimal barriers and facilitation, and if 
      course recognition of our desired 'diversity objectives*  for  our component parts of ICANN and as a whole... 

5. Discuss the work plan   

• Fiona Asonga: It would great if we could have defined our areas of focus by then end of the month. We could then gather data.
    • RaffikDammak: This should be considered a complex topic. (or at least one that will be time consuming).

6. AOB / Next Meeting 

• Doodle poll to determine meeting times.
    • Adjourned

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to WS@ Diversity Subgroup Meeting #1 on 8 August 2016 @ 13:00 UTC!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):hi

Rafik:hello

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed Rafik

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello all

Sonigitu Ekpe:Hello all!

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:All if you are not speaking please mute your miccrophone

FIONA ASONGA:Hallo everyone

Sebastien (ALAC):Bonjour à tous ;)

Lito Ibarra:Buenos días

Rafik:bonjour

Athina Fragkouli (ASO):hello all

Lito Ibarra:Buenos días

Lousewies van der Laan:Hi all

Niels ten Oever:Hi all !

Lousewies van der Laan:et bonjour Sebastien :-)

Niels ten Oever:Yes

Athina Fragkouli (ASO):yes we can hear you

Lousewies van der Laan:yes, but you dropped a moment

Lito Ibarra:Also my sund is delayed

Lito Ibarra:sorry: sound

Sebastien (ALAC):no more sound?

FIONA ASONGA:I lost sound

Lousewies van der Laan:cant hear anymore

Brenda Brewer:calling out to Rafik, please stand by

Brenda Brewer:If your phone number is listed, please idenify your name and I can then merge with your Adobe connection.  Thank you!

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Please remember to mute you microphone if not speaking

Niels ten Oever:Do we have a rough background paper?

Niels ten Oever:because we should learn from other diversity policies

Niels ten Oever:we can also ask for input from other fora that have been working on this

Niels ten Oever:and what are we looking for in terms of scope? Diversity of staff, ICANN community, meetings? all of it?

Niels ten Oever:Maybe good to understand what we mean with diversity

Niels ten Oever:and what we are trying to achieve

Niels ten Oever:The presentation and research were very useful, but good to understand where we want to go. And what we use as indicators

Lito Ibarra:Is there also historical data about how diversity in ICANN has chamged thru time?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree  Jule...  we need that foundation to build upon

Sonigitu Ekpe:+1  to Julie comments on defining diversity.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):So true Julie  I tried to raise the matter  of different "needs"  in my lightening talk

Lousewies van der Laan:Historical overview would also allow us to see trends - are more women attaining leadership positions? isthe ICANN community becoming less ANglo-Saxon?

FIONA ASONGA:Yes Cheryl you did

Niels ten Oever:I think there are quite some academics that could provide us with papers

Niels ten Oever:so we could edicate ourselves

Niels ten Oever:+1 having everyone define their own requirements will be messy

Niels ten Oever:and will mess up indicators

Niels ten Oever:One could think of geographic, gender, orientation, age, minorities, time involved, education, expertise, etc

Lousewies van der Laan:you mean political or sexual orientation?

Lousewies van der Laan:or soemthinhg else?

Tijani BEN JEMAA:language and culture diversity are key

Niels ten Oever:I was thinking of sexual orientation

Lousewies van der Laan:I think its key to have an atnmosphere that is open and inclusive, so that all minorities, including sexual ones feel welcome

Niels ten Oever:+1

Niels ten Oever:But how to measure that? Participation, right?

Lousewies van der Laan:but, its not necesarily needed to have membrs of the LGBT community in every leadership position.

Niels ten Oever:Depends on what we set as our objective

Lousewies van der Laan:Also, to some people thats a deeply private matter.

Carolina Aguerre:Hi Everyone, I'm sorry I could only join a few minutes ago. I look forward working with this team.  I particularly agree that working and refining the issue of diversity in organizational settings is a very important baseline to move forward.

Niels ten Oever:There are different ways of measuring diversity, other than questionaires.

Niels ten Oever:I agree that self reporting should not be our only indicator on LGBTQI diversity

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):absolutly  ley for us in ICANN  IMO  dhould be *inclusiveness, opportunity to participation  (here I mean  both minimal barriers and faciitation, and if course recognition of our desireed 'diversity objectives*  for  our componenet parts of ICANN and as a whole...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):not so much *complex*  but 'time consuming'

Carolina Aguerre:re Fiona / Rafik I think this timeline is feasible

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):so onger term

Carolina Aguerre:+1 Rafik

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):e may need to identify our "stages of work"

FIONA ASONGA:Great idea cheryl

FIONA ASONGA:Please explain abit more so thatw eare all clear

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Note that the first slot it 0500 and not 0600

Brenda Brewer:Also, 13:00 UTC, not 12:00 UTC

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Sopme groups have reserved until November so the number of slots is going down

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Please consult the master CCWG schedule on Google Sheet

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qwr41BesyvDQBnqF_gBQlHfJlRkOGrjHa26iFYU41ac/edit#gid=0

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thanks  everyone, bye for now... Good night Rafik :-)

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

Julie Hammer (SSAC):Bye!

Lousewies van der Laan:Thanks!

Carolina Aguerre:bye

Lito Ibarra:Thanks Rafik and Fiona, Bye all

Rafik Dammak:good night Cheryl

Rafik Dammak:bye al

Brenda Brewer:Thank you all for joining today's meeting.  A follow-up summery will be sent to list.

Niels ten Oever:bye all