Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

To read the original announcement, please see: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-01-27-en

WEBINAR: Cross Community Working Group (CWG) On IANA Naming Related Functions: Current Progress and Key Issues

Following the request of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) forICANN to “convene a multistakeholder process to develop a plan to transition the U.S. government stewardship role” with regard to the IANA Functions and related root zone management, a Cross Community Working Group (CWG-Stewardship) was formed with the purpose of developing a consolidated transition proposal for the elements of the IANA Functions relating to domain names.

Since its last webinars on 3-4 December 2014, the CWG-Stewardship has received and reviewed nearly [60] public comments, and has continued to work on preparing its proposal for transition, including during an intensive work weekend on 10-11 January. The CWG-Stewardship is also in the process of reviewing its timeline for submission of a proposal to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG). The CWG-Stewardship will present substantial information regarding current progress as well as the key issues under consideration, in order to provide the community a preview in advance of further detailed work during the ICANN 52 Meeting in Singapore.

The CWG-Stewardship is holding two identical webinars at different times to facilitate participation across time zones. The webinars will take place on:

• 3 February from 14:00 – 15:00 UTC (time zone converter here)
  • 3 February from 21:00 – 22:00 UTC (time zone converter here)

Webinar Details & How to Attend

The webinars will be run in an Adobe Connect room. If you are interested in attending the webinar and would like to receive dial-in details, please send an email to brenda.brewer@icann.org and indicate which time you would like to attend the webinar. Please note that the webinar will be conducted in English and will be recorded and transcribed. Subsequently the transcripts will be translated in the 5 UN languages and posted on the CWG-Stewardship Wiki here.

Further information

For further information about the CWG-Stewardship’s work, please seehttps://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg.

For further information about the ICG and the IANA Stewardship Transition, please seehttps://www.icann.org/stewardship.

Slides presented for both Webinars

will be

are available here:

(insert link)

CWG Presentation - FINAL 3 Feb 2015 (Revised).ppt

CWG Presentation - FINAL 3 Feb 2015 (Revised).pdf

Webinar 1

3 February from 14:00 – 15:00 UTC

Attendance: Allan MacGillivray, Barrack Otieno, Bram Fudzulani, Caroline, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Clara Collado, Demi Getshko, Ernest Ofosu Fabien Betremieux, Finn Petersen, Gary Hunt, Greg Shatan, Hadji, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jamie-Lynn Kraft, Joerg Schweiger, John Poole, Jonathan Robinson, Jorge Cancio, Lars Erik Forsberg, Marija, Mary Wong, Matthew Shears, Oanh Nguyen, Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos, Paul Diaz, Pedro Ivo Silva, Peter Koch, Peter Van Roste, Peter Vergote, Philip Inglesant, Podesta, Robert Guerra, Ron Sherwood, Sara Bockey, Shin Yamasaki, Sorina Telenu, Staffan Jonson, Steve Sheng, Taylor RW Bentley, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Tony Holmes, Tracy, Wale Bakare, Wanawit Ahkuputra, Yaovi Atohoun

Transcript:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 Feb 1400 UTC.doc 

Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 Feb 1400 UTC.pdf

Adobe Connect Recording:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p8nmrl98yn3/

Audio MP3 Recording:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-iana-1400-03feb15-en.mp3

Chat Transcript:

Marika Konings:Welcome to the WEBINAR: Cross Community Working Group (CWG) On IANA Naming Related Functions: Current Progress and Key Issues

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:hello

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:good

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:4.5 on 5

Allan MacGillivray:4.7 out of 5 here!

Peter Vergote - DNS Belgium:Hi everybody. Audio seems fine

Staffan Jonson:Hello All

Barrack Otieno:Hi Barrack Otieno ,audio very clear as well

Robert Guerra:hello all

Caroline:Hello! Is anyone speaking? It is mute here

Marika Konings:@Caroline - the webinar has not started yet

Pedro Ivo Silva - Gov Brazil:Now we can hear

Caroline:I can hear now! Thank you

Marika Konings:We'll be starting shortly

Maria:hello all

Hadji:Hello All

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi

Hadji:Audio is not well

Grace Abuhamad:Hi Hadji -- please try reloading the AC room

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:audio all good for me

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:hello everybody!

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:tha audio is not well now

Grace Abuhamad:Panagiotis -- have you tried reloading your AC?

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:it's fine now - I'll use it next time (hopefully not)

Grace Abuhamad:ok thanks

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos::)

Marika Konings:Please mute your telephones & microphones when not speaking.

Maria:Can we get the slides from this presentation? Is there a possibility?

Grace Abuhamad:@Maria -- the slides will be posted shortly on the CWG Wiki

Maria:Thank you

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:can you please remind me the link to the CWG wiki, please?

Marika Konings:https://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:thank you

Grace Abuhamad:When submitting a question that you want me to read out loud on the mic,  please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>”. Text outside these quotes will be considered as part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the mic.

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:congratulations! thank you for the very comprehensive presentation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good r

Grace Abuhamad:The Slides are "unsynced" which means you can click through now at your ease.

jorge cancio 2:could you please provide the exact URL for the presentation? thanks!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Webinar thanks Jonathan

Ernest Ofosu:presentation was well delivered, kudos to all!!!

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:@jorge: https://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thanks bye

Yaovi Atohoun:Thanks

Jonathan Robinson:Thank you all

jaap akkerhuis:Bye all

Philip Inglesant:thanks! excellent webinar

Steve Sheng:excellent webinar

Ron Sherwood:Thank you, all

Gary Hunt UK Govt.:Thank you for this excellent webinar. I note ther is another session scheduled for 21:00 UTC, is this a repeat of the same webinar?

Webinar 2

3 February from 21:00 – 22:00 UTC

Attendance: Anne Aikman, Aouaouche El-Maouhab, Aprna Sridhar, Ashley Roberts, Avri Doria, Bob Hinden, Bradley Silver, Cecilia Smith, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Chuck Gomes, Danny Younger, Diana Moltrup, Donna Austin, Gary Campbell, Greg Shatan, Jaap Akkerhuis, Joly MacFie, Julie Hammer, Karine Perset, Len Hause, Lise Fuhr, Mary Uduma, Matthew Shears, Monica Solino, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos, Pat Kane, Patricio Poblete, Robin Gross, Sarah Falvey, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, Statton Hammock, Stephanie Duchesneau, Susan Payne Wanawit Ahkuputra, Winthrop Yu, Yrjo Lansipuro

Transcript:  Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 Feb 2100 UTC.doc

Transcript CWG IANA Webinar 3 Feb 2100 UTC.pdf

Adobe Connect Recordinghttps://icann.adobeconnect.com/p9c39ri70ji/

Audio MP3 Recording:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-iana-2100-03feb15-en.mp3

Chat Transcript:

Grace Abuhamad:Hi all! Welcome to the 2nd CWG pre-Singapore Webinar. We will start at 21:00 UTC.

Gary Campbell:Hi Grace

Grace Abuhamad:When submitting a question that you want me to read out loud on the mic,  please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>”. Text outside these quotes will be considered as part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the mic

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:audio is choppy for me ATM

Greg Shatan:Audio fine here.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:audio fine here too

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:audio good here also - on a poor line to boot

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:it has settled for me

Greg Shatan:Dingos stopped chewing the wires....

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:lol. Galahs or sulphur created cockatoos more like

Donna Austin, RySG:that'd be a pink and grey one Cheryl?

Grace Abuhamad:When submitting a question that you want me to read out loud on the mic,  please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>”. Text outside these quotes will be considered as part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the mic

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:<QUESTION> It was mentioned that the best case scenario for CWG in order to presend its proposal to ICG is June 2015. What if this deadline cannot be met? In order for the (very strict) timeline to be fulfilled, the deadline of June must be met, because the AoC finishes at the end of September. What happens if the deadlines cannot be met or the ICG will not conclude to a final (commonly acceptable) proposal? Will the WGs have more time to improve their proposals? And what happens if NTIA does not like the proposal? Does the US Congress play a significant role in the whole IANA stewardship transition process i.e. can the Congress postpone the process or create any other obstacles?</QUESTION>

Pat Kane:The AoC does not have a termination date

Pat Kane:at least not of September 2015

Greg Shatan:You are thinking of the IANA Functions Contract, which can be extended.

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:I know; I'm just examining all scenarios being provocative - sorry about that:)

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:sorry - I had a network failure. and  I lost the "what if NTIA doesnot like the proposal" part

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:sorry about that - audio is fine now....

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:the NTIA has said that they will ask the community to amend their proposal accordingly

Bob Hinden:The US Congress has a big role here, NTIA is part of the US Government and the Congress (among other things) decides what NTIA's budget is.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:not sure I agree with you there Lise. I see NTIA holding the trump cards here

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:thaks Olivier!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ultimately the NTIA is the ultimate customer that needs to be convinced about any proposal

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:what is the meaning of "the trump cards" sorry it's all greek to me! :)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-) :-) :-)

Matthew Shears:also - NTIA expects that the community to have put in place and committed to a certain set of accountability enhancements at ICANN as a part of the transition

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:thanx!!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:well described Lise

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:thank you Lise for the very comprehensive presentation and for answering my questions

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:sorry for not being able to join you on singapore - I'll try to do it remotely

AAikman:QUESTION:  Since the IANA contract will have to be extended anyway, why NOT take more time to be thorough abuout this?

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:bye all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thanks Lise bye all

Matthew Shears:thanks!

Greg Shatan:Bye

Panagiotis Papaspiliopoulos:bye all - safe travels & fruitful meetings

Sivasubramanian M:Bye