Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Volunteers to work on the legal aspect are:  Vinay Kumar Singh and Petter Rindforth

Benefits

In Linda Corugedo Steneberg's e-mail, 10 Feb. 2014, the following benefits were suggested:

What exactly the benefits to the community are of translating and/or transliterating contact information, especially in light of the costs that may be connected to translation and/or transliteration? // it facilitates registration for those Registrants who do not speak a common language or use a common script, while at the same time it makes easier the consultation of such data by parties (like Law Enforcement) who require a common language or who may face difficulties while dealing with non-Latin scripts. Registrants would have full rights when it comes to respect for multilingualism and Registrant data can be consulted/searched in a more homogeneous manner thanks to translation to a common language or script.

What are the relationships between the benefits?

Are there trade-offs?

Scenarios

See the purposes for data on p.12-14 of the Initial report from the EWG on gTLD Directory Services.

Features

6 March, 2014

Dear Chris,

Dear all,

When looking into the document Status update EWG, only page 53 and 80 mention the word „translation”. In annex A (page 61) I don’t see any indication of fields allowing the storage of translated or transliterated contact information. Perhaps this is something we should emphasize a bit more in our discussions. If none is preparing a protocol / storage for translated/transliterated information our whole process does not have any effect. I know this looks quite pessimistic but it is a fact in none of the actual documents I’ve seen any hint on this.

Rudi Vansnick

Desirability

10 March, 2014

Hi Chris, 

Apologies for the slow response.