• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Proposed Agenda:

1.  Roll call (1 min)

2.  Statements of Interest (2 mins)

3.  Approval of the agenda (2 mins)

4.  Vice-Chair Election (5 mins)

5.  Working Group Self Assessment (5 mins)

6.  Re-Submitting a Motion (5 mins)

7.  Possible inclusion of a Waiver/Exception in the GNSO Operating Procedures (10 mins)

8. Voting by email (15 mins)

9.  New Item: Review of GNSO Working Group Guidelines Consensus Levels (10 mins) – See document below

10.  AOB (5 mins)

Actions from 17 December Meeting:

1.  Chair/Vice Chair: Ron Andruff is affirmed as Chair for 2014.  Staff will issue one last call for nominations for Vice Chair -- Cintra Sooknanan has volunteered.  If there are no other candidates the SCI will request the GNSO Council to allow Cintra to serve as an alternate.

2.  Working Group Self Assessment: SCI will consider accompanying changes to the Working Group Guidelines/GNSO Council Operating Procedures as provided by Ken Bour.  Changes to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures (including to the Working Group Guidelines) must go out for public comment.  These may be bundled with other changes, such as for re-submitting a motion (below).

3.  Re-submitting a Motion: Staff will send a Consensus Call to the list asking if there are any objections by 08 January.

4.  Waiver/Exception: Staff will ask for volunteers to join Marie-Laure and resend the background information.

5.  Email Voting:  Avri Doria and Thomas Rickert have agreed to draft an approach.  They have submitted the following ideas for discussion: Email Voting.docx

For review:

GNSO Working Group Guidelines Consensus Levels

Resubmitting a Motion

Waivers and/or Exceptions to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures

1. Which group do you represent? GNSO Council
  2. To which rules or processes do you refer? Submitting a motion
  3. Please outline the problems: The Council does not have a mechanism to waive or invoke an exception to its operating procedures.  An example is whether the deadline for submitting motions could be waived in certain circumstances.  Quote from Jonathan Robinson in the transcript at the Wrap Up Meeting in Durban on 18 July 2013: "And essentially I wasn’t empowered as chair by our rulebook to allow that motion to be put on the table even if technically although we have done it by precedent and prior practice, even if no one objected from the council I didn’t really - there isn’t really device in the rulebook to allow that to take place. So I personally I think that’s an area we should look at is the - when and under what circumstances - formal council procedure can be bypassed in the event that there is no objection from the council?"
  4. What specific changes do you propose to address the identified problems?  The SCI should consider whether language should be included in the GNSO Council Operating Procedures that provides a procedure for waiving the deadline for submitting a motion.
  5. Do you have any additional suggestion for making the rules/processes easier to administer? A waiver mechanism could allow the Council to consider a motion or document after the deadline of notice/submission to the Council has passed.
Email voting:
  1. Which group do you represent? GNSO Council
  2. To which rules or processes do you refer? Voting
  3. Please outline the problems: The Council does not have a mechanism to conduct votes outside of a meeting.
  4. What specific changes do you propose to address the identified problems?  The SCI should consider whether and how the Council could vote outside of a meeting and under what circumstances.  Quote from Jonathan Robinson in the Council transcript at the Wrap Up Meeting in Durban on 18 July 2013: "So I wanted - an issue I wanted us to consider maybe giving to the SCI and then to the group or to a committee to look at is I’d like to rethink about whether potentially voting by email or something like that is a possibility? I know we’ve looked at it on and off over the years.…And if that would help speed things along it would be great to just look at that issue in just maybe we can’t do it first time around obviously but for future..."  He raised this issue because the Council was in the process of scheduling a special meeting in August to conduct a vote.
  5. Do you have any additional suggestion for making the rules/processes easier to administer? Potentially voting by email could in some circumstances enable the Council to avoid having to schedule a special meeting for a vote that has to occur quickly.