- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: RCRC IOC Protection
- Board meeting date: 26 November 2012
- Resolution number: 2012.11.26.NG03
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-26nov12-en.htm#1.c
- Status: Completed
Board approves restrictions for Red Cross/Red Crescent and International Olympic Committee names for new gTLDs at the second level remaining in place until such time as a policy is adopted that may require further action.
Whereas, the New gTLD Program Committee on 13 September 2012 requested that the GNSO Council advise the Board by no later than 31 January 2013 if it is aware of any reason, such as concerns with the global public interest or the security or stability of the DNS, that the Board should take into account in making its decision about whether to include second level protections for the IOC and Red Cross/Red Crescent names listed in section 126.96.36.199.3 of the Applicant Guidebook by inclusion on a Reserved Names List applicable in all new gTLD registries approved in the first round of the New gTLD Program.
Whereas, the new gTLD Committee acknowledges that the GNSO Council has recently approved an expedited PDP to develop policy recommendations to protect the names and acronyms of IGOs and certain INGOs – including the RCRC and IOC, in all gTLDs.
Whereas, although the GNSO Council's 15 November motion did not pass due to a procedural technicality, the GNSO Council will vote again on a motion at its 20 December meeting to adopt the IOC/RC Drafting Team's recommendation to temporarily reserve the exact match of IOC and RCRC second level domain names listed in Section 188.8.131.52.3 of the Applicant Guidebook, pending the outcome of the recently launched PDP.
RESOLVED (2012.11.26.NG03), in light of these upcoming policy discussions to take place in the PDP involving the protection of International Governmental and Non-governmental Organizations, restrictions for registration of RCRC and IOC names for new gTLDs at the second level will be in place until such time as a policy is adopted that may require further action.
Given the Committee's 13 September resolution as well as the high-level and community-wide attention on this issue, it is important for the Committee to indicate that the protections it has recommended for the RCRC and IOC names at the second level of the first round of new gTLDs will be adopted until a policy is developed. In adopting this resolution at this time, the New gTLD Program Committee can take action that is reasonable based on the following rationale:
Consistent with the Board's Singapore resolution with respect to the IOC and Red Cross issues, the new gTLD Committee believes that the appropriate course is for the Board to leave these issues in the hands of ICANN's policy-making bodies. The Committee appreciates the efforts by the GNSO in initiating an expedited PDP to develop recommendations to provide any necessary additional protections for IGO and INGO names at the top and second-levels in all gTLDs. ICANN staff members are supporting that discussion in the GNSO, and the new gTLD Committee awaits the results of these policy discussions.
The Committee has been apprised that the motion to grant temporary protections to the RCRC and the IOC has been resubmitted to the GNSOCouncil and, having looked at the issue with voting on same resolution when it was considered on 15 November 2012, the Committee expects the Council to adopt the recommendation to provide such special protection for the RCRC and IOC names at its meeting on 20 December 2012. Recognizing the likelihood that the GNSO Council's motion will pass, the Committee believes that it is appropriate to adopt this resolution at the same time as consideration of the IGOissue, as a temporary measure, while the GNSO Council proceeds with the expedited PDP.
In adopting this resolution at this time, the New gTLD Program Committee can reassure the impacted stakeholders in the community, acknowledge and encourage the continuing work of the GNSO Council, and take an action consistent with its 13 September 2012 resolution.
This action is not expected to have an immediate impact on the security, stability or resiliency of the DNS, though the outcomes of this work may result in positive impacts. This action is also not expected to have an impact on financial or other resources of ICANN.
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolution NG2012.09.13.01, seeking further information from the GNSO regarding protections for the IOC/RCRC names, at http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-13sep12-en.htm
- Resolutions 2012.04.10.NG4 - 2012.04.10.NG5, regarding the GNSO Recommendation for Protection of Red Cross and International Olympic Committee Names in New gTLDs, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-10apr12-en.htm
- Resolutions 2012.06.27.NG04 - 2012.06.27.NG05, regarding the International Olympic Committee's Reconsideration Request, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/minutes-new-gtld-27jun12-en.htm#2
- Other resolutions TBD
- Public comment on the Preliminary GNSO Issue Report on the Protection of International Organization Names in New gTLDs is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/prelim-protection-io-names-04jun12-en.htm
- GNSO Council Motion 20121220-1, passed on 20 December 2012 and adopting IOC/RC Drafting Team's recommendation to temporarily reserve the exact match of IOC and RCRC second level domain names, available at: http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201212
- GNSO PDP drafting team regarding Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs is available at: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/igo-ingo
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.
Note: The "Add Comment" box below is for sharing information about implementation of this resolution. Off-topic comments will be removed.