Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

What is the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services?

The Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services is first step in fulfilling the ICANN Board's directive to help redefine the purpose and provision of gTLD registration data will provide a foundation to help the ICANN community (through the Generic Names Supporting Organization, GNSO) create a new global policy for gTLD directory services. In June 2013, the EWG proposed a paradigm shift – a new system in which gTLD registration data is collected, validated and disclosed for permissible purposes only, with some data elements being accessible only to authenticated requestors that are then held accountable for appropriate use. The EWG's objective is to reexamine and define the purpose of collecting and maintaining gTLD directory data, consider how to safeguard the data, and propose a next generation solution that will better serve the needs of the global Internet community.

Where can I learn more about the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Service's proposed solution?

The Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services (EWG) has issued its Final Report:

Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services Issues Final Report (June 2014)

Read more about the Final Report in this  Blog Post by Jean-Francois Baril, EWG Lead Facilitator

A brief introductory video can also be viewed here:

Where can I find answers to my questions about the proposed RDS?

In September 2014, EWG members participated in webinars to answer Top 10 Questions About the Proposed Next-Generation Registration Directory Services to Replace WHOIS. Additional text and multi-media answers to Frequently Asked Questions are also available here.

What are the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services' current objectives and plans?

In June 2014, the EWG published its Final Report, detailing a complete replacement for WHOIS by a next generation Registration Directory Service (RDS).

The EWG's Final Report was submitted to ICANN's CEO & Board and explored at ICANN 50 in London during these sessions:

This Final Report fulfills the ICANN Board's directive to help redefine the purpose and provision of gTLD registration data, and provides a foundation to help the ICANN community (through the GNSO) create a new global policy for gTLD directory services.

This report represents the culmination of an intense 15 month period of work during which this diverse group of volunteers created an alternative to today's WHOIS to better serve the global Internet community -- a next-generation Registration Directory Service (RDS).

The EWG looks forward to on-going discussion about this Final Report with the ICANN community and will continue posting answers to commonly-asked questions about the proposed RDS.

How can I share my thoughts?

ICANN has embarked on an effort to reinvent today's WHOIS system. Be part of the solution and join the discussion! See the Final Issue Report published on 7 October 2015 and information on next steps on this PDP.

Contact

input-to-ewg@icann.org