Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

Topic

Entry Date (E)

____________

Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member

____

Responsible Staff member


Info

Additional Notes


Council liaisons 

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  ICANN staff to update relevant documentation to note change of liaison from Keith Drazek to Tatiana Tropina (IGO Red Cross)
  •  ICANN staff to review existing liaisons, determine who is termed out at the upcoming AGM, seek replacements and perform handover beforehand.

ICANN org's preparation toward implementation of a new round of gTLDs

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council to Invite GDD to speak to Council on a future Council meeting.

CCT-RT recommendations

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council to convene small team to consider CCT-RT recommendations referred to the GNSO and GNSO PDPs and determine next steps (Volunteers: Pam Little to lead, Carlos Gutierrez, Michele Neylon)
  •  Small team to provide proposed approach to GNSO Council

IRP IOT

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council to convene small team to review questions posed by ICANN org. (Volunteers: Flip Petillion as lead, Elsa Saade)
  •  Small team to provide proposed Council response to questions to GNSO Council
Flip Petillion Elsa Saade

ATRT 3

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  GNSO Council to consider if/how to replace Erica Varlese on ATRT3. ICANN staff to investigate if there are any remaining GNSO candidates to consider. If not, determine if replacement is needed and if so, determine approach (e.g., call for volunteers, use SSC)
  •  GNSO Chair to remind SG/Cs to discuss within its respective groups and respond directly (and/or inform Council if there is something within its purview) to the ATRT3 with a response to the following question: what types of improvements would the Community want to see implemented?

RPM Charter amendments

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Staff to circulate call for volunteers for Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs Phase 2 charter amendments.
  •  RPMs Charter amendments for Phase 2 (Volunteers: Paul McGrady, Martin Valent)

Mary Wong Julie Hedlund Ariel Liang


Legislative Tracker

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •   Small group of Councilors to develop draft message to ICANN Org to provide input on legislative tracker. Based on feedback, Council leadership to consider scheduling follow up discussion at ICANN65. 
  •  Global Engagement to take into account feedback, in particular, inclusion of rationale for including a piece of legislation on the legal / regulatory tracker.

CSC Effectiveness Review Final Report

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  In accordance with terms of the CSC Effectiveness Review Template, the Chair of GNSO Council and the Chair of ccNSO Council are requested to recommend report to IANA Naming Function Review Team (IFRT) as soon as that is established.
  •  The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to share the results of this motion with the CSC. 

Comments ICANN’s 2021-2025 Strat Plan, FY20 Operating Plan and Budget: common concerns

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 


 

  •  SCBO to do analysis between ccNSO/GNSO comments, identify elements for common cause. Look at how the reserve fund replenishment can be sustained.
  •  Materials to compare CCNSO & GNSO comments on 5YSP were sent to SCBO on 1 June. It included a recently revised draft of the strategy document released by Org that included a comparison of the drafts. 
  •  SCBO and SOPC to collaborate on 5YSP Financial Assumptions & Operating Initiatives documents out for public comment on 23 July. The SCBO is starting a draft of potential comments for the Council to consider by 5 August.

Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Policy Status Report

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council to further consider next steps in relation to the review of the Transfer Policy which would result in providing GDD information/response on expected next steps and/or seek additional information as the Council considers how to approach the Transfer Policy review, for example, holistically instead of piecemeal.
  •  Rubens Kuhl, as Council liaison, to reach out to the IRT for the EPDP Phase 1 to have a conversation and gain a better understanding of how to address recommendation 24 and the Form of Authorization issue stemming from the Temporary Specification.
  •  Council to determine next steps for the Transfer Policy, which could include the chartering of a narrowly focused EPDP

IFR team

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Once the Council receives the receipt for IFR membership confirmation, Council to consider how best to coordinate co-chair selection with ccNSO, which will be responsible for selecting the ccNSO co-chair.
  •  Council to consider selection process by which a GNSO appointed member of the IANA Function Review (IFR) team will be selected to serve as the GNSO co-chair on the IFR as the ICANN Bylaws stipulate that “(d) The IFRT shall be led by two co-chairs: one appointed by the GNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (c)-(f) of Section 18.7 and one appointed by the ccNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (a)-(b) of Section 18.7” once the IFR membership has been confirmed.
  •  IANA Function Review (IFR) Team composition: Review of the ccNSO proposal to manage deficiencies - Councilors to take discussion on ccNSO proposal (here: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2019-January/022175.html) to their respective SG/C and to then consider what input they would like to provide.

Managing IDN Variants TLDs

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Small group of Councilors to convene and then coordinate with ICANN to get further understanding, and potentially propose next steps for IDN TLD Variants.
  •  Staff to develop options paper to support small group efforts
  •  GNSO Chair to send message to Council list to expand volunteer pool expertise beyond Council. Small team to consider and propose scope of holistic IDN review, prior to outreach with ccNSO. (Volunteers: Rubens Kuhl, Maxim Alzoba, Philippe Fouquart, Edmon Chung, Michele Neylon)
  •  GNSO Chair to email Katrina Sataki to inform her of immediate next steps and willingness determine the best coordination method between the GNSO and ccNSO.
  •  Once GNSO small team is able to gain an understanding of the scope of effort and potential vehicle for resolution, ICANN staff to schedule call to identify structure for coordination between the GNSO and ccNSO. GNSO and ccNSO to identify where coordination is and is NOT needed. 
  •  ICANN staff to reach out to Maarten Simon and Philippe Fouquart to determine if they are willing to lead action items above. 
  •  ICANN staff to investigate format for JIG and see if it may be fit for purpose.

Steve Chan


Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

Note - to be removed as action items are already covered in project list

 


 

  •  GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
  •  Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
  •  Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meeting
  •  Call for volunteers to be delayed at least until the EPDP hits the milestone of publishing its Initial Report. Council to discuss this topic once that milestone is hit.
  •  ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers (subsequent to the initiation and chartering process for the EPDP on the Temporary Specification) to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.
  •  Council leadership to research and develop guidance for if and when the work on the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy should begin.

IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 


  •  Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting).
  •  Susan Kawaguchi and Heather Forrest to prepare report on the usage of the 3.7 Appeal Process contained in the GNSO Operating Procedure that is intended to capture the process used and lessons learned.
  •  ICANN staff to inform the IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG that the GNSO Council resolved that the Working Group, in line with the Council’s priority to ensure responsible allocation of resources and timely management of the PDP, the Final Report be submitted in time to meet the July 2018 GNSO Council meeting document deadline.
  •  Councilors to review Final Report, especially in the broader context of the appropriate overall scope of protection for all IGO identifiers, in preparation for consideration as early as the August Council meeting.
  •  ICANN staff to inform the ICANN Board and the GAC that the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Mechanisms PDP Working Group has completed its work and forward a copy of the Final Report to them
  •  Councilors to review Final Report and options flowchart, then prepare a list of questions by 31 August 2018 that they have, for response by the WG leadership, WG liaison, WG members, or staff as appropriate.
  •  ICANN staff to work with the GNSO Chair and Council liaison to determine possible ways to address concerns regarding some of the PDP recommendations within the scope of the PDP Manual, in light of the fact that the WG has not identified any recommendations as being interdependent.
  •  Next steps for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP WG Final Report - ICANN staff to schedule webinar for questions and answers
  •  Council leadership/staff to develop a summary document to capture concerns and issues with the PDP, as well as next step options available to the Council
  •  Council leadership to again present Council  options for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Final Report to consider and discuss with their respective SG/Cs.
  •  Council leadership and Council to continue developing proposed path forward for the Working Group’s Final Report.
  •  Councilors to review the materials for the webinar held on 09 October 2019 (available here: https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar/2018#oct) and other materials shared for the agenda item (here: https://community.icann.org/x/JIoWBg)
  •  Council Leadership to consider repurposing the extraordinary meeting on 14 February 2019 to discuss IGO/INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms if the EPDP Final Report is not yet available for discussion and review.
  •  Council leadership to develop a new options document to include proposed motion language for each option for Council consideration.
  •  Council leadership to follow up on existing action item regarding expected report from Heather Forrest and Susan Kawaguchi on process management for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms.
  •  GNSO Chair to prepare communication to GAC/IGOs to explain rationale for vote and demonstrate how they will be able to participate.
  •  Staff to communicate the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP Recommendations Report to ICANN Board Operations.
  •  Keith Drazek to prepare draft response to the GAC and circulate to the Council list. Upon agreement from the Council, Staff to facilitate sending the finalized response to the GAC prior to the close of business on 31 May 2019.
  •  Council leadership to include discussion of recommendations 1-4 into agenda for meeting with the Board at ICANN65.
  •  Small team to prepare draft RPMs charter amendments (which will likely include engagement with the IGOs/GAC afterwards) (Volunteers, Paul McGrady as lead, Martin Silva Valent, Elsa Saade, Keith Drazek)

PDP updates

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council leadership to propose path forward to obtain clarification / provide view concerning intersection between the Name Collisions Analysis Project and SubPro PDP
  •  ICANN Staff to consider timing for GNSO Policy webinar (e.g., two weeks prior). ICANN Staff to consider suggested changes to slide format raised during meeting.

Request for Clarification on Data Accuracy and Phase-2 of the Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council’s liaison to the EPDP, Rafik Dammak to forward letter to EPDP Phase 2 Team and coordinate with them to determine what will be included in the response.
  •  Council to add as a discussion item for future meeting.

Review of ICANN65 GAC Advice

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council small team to determine if response is necessary. If so, small team to draft response (Volunteers: Julf Helsingius, Paul McGrady, Martin Valent, Michele Neylon, Tatiana Tropina.)
  •  Marika Konings to investigate when GAC/Board meeting will take place

Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Staff to investigate the anticipated timing, funding and expected deliverables for the Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance project.
  •  ccNSO and GNSO to form joint team to identify any commonalities or differences. Also look at budget and 5 year strategic plan. 
  •  ICANN staff to reach out to Maarten Simon and Philippe Fouquart to determine if they are willing to lead action item above.
  •  ICANN staff to invite Brian Cute to a future Council meeting
  •  Rafik Dammak to invite Brian Cute to future PDP 3.0 meeting to make sure to not create overlapping work on the Evolution of the MSM

EPDP phase 1 recommendations

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council leadership and staff to schedule an extraordinary Council meeting to discuss the Board adoption of the EPDP policy recommendations.
  •  Staff to provide Board voting results
  •  Council leadership to prepare an action plan for engaging with the Board. This includes documenting the options available to the Council, collecting questions/comments/concerns from Stakeholder Groups/Constituencies and the EPDP Team, timeline for engagement with the EPDP Team, and timeline for engagement with the Board.
  •  Council to, in consultation with the EPDP team, write communication to ICANN Board and seek to secure board support for Rec #12.

Marika Konings Nathalie Peregrine


Review of ICANN65 GAC Advice

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Council small team to determine if response is necessary. If so, small team to draft response (Volunteers: Julf Helsingius, Paul McGrady, Martin Valent, Michele Neylon, Tatiana Tropina.)
  •  Marika Konings to investigate when GAC/Board meeting will take place

SSR 2

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Council leadership to ask SSR2 GNSO members to provide an update to the Council leadership initially.

GNSO Input to the Independent Review Process Standing Panel

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Councilors to reach out to their respective groups to communicate additional call for volunteers for additional members to serve on the IRP Implementation Oversight Team.

Marika Konings




ICANN66 Meeting Planning

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Send schedule placeholder for informal dinner
Nathalie Peregrine

...