Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

Additional Notes

CCWG Auction Proceeds10 Mar  Council leadership to develop a new options document to include proposed motion language for each option for Council consideration.

Susan Kawaguchi

Rafik Dammak k drazek Pam Little

Mary Wong Steve Chan

Nathalie Peregrine

  •  GNSO Council to seek clarification about the level of resources expected to be allocated to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance.
  •  GNSO Council Liaison to the ccNSO to coordinate with the Country Codes Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) as the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance seeks to resolve concerns identified by the ccNSO Council.
  •  Council leadership to propose Council position and next steps for GNSO relationship with the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance
 Council leadership to develop draft response to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance, providing input on the GNSO Council’s expected engagement with the group.

Rafik Dammak k drazek Pam Little Philippe Fouquart

Marika Konings

Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy

Topic

Entry Date (E)

____________

Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member

____

Responsible Staff member

Info

Managing IDN Variants TLDs

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

Updated Charter for the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

IFR team

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Once the Council receives the receipt for IFR membership confirmation, Council to consider how best to coordinate co-chair selection with ccNSO, which will be responsible for selecting the ccNSO co-chair.
  •  Council to consider selection process by which a GNSO appointed member of the IANA Function Review (IFR) team will be selected to serve as the GNSO co-chair on the IFR as the ICANN Bylaws stipulate that “(d) The IFRT shall be led by two co-chairs: one appointed by the GNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (c)-(f) of Section 18.7 and one appointed by the ccNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (a)-(b) of Section 18.7” once the IFR membership has been confirmed.
  •  IANA Function Review (IFR) Team composition: Review of the ccNSO proposal to manage deficiencies - Councilors to take discussion on ccNSO proposal (here: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2019-January/022175.html) to their respective SG/C and to then consider what input they would like to provide.
Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

 

  •  GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
  •  Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
  •  Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meeting
  •  Call for volunteers to be delayed at least until the EPDP hits the milestone of publishing its Initial Report. Council to discuss this topic once that milestone is hit.
  •  ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers (subsequent to the initiation and chartering process for the EPDP on the Temporary Specification) to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.
  •  Council leadership to research and develop guidance for if and when the work on the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy should begin.

Michele Neylon Paul McGrady k drazek Stephanie Perrin Pam Little

Marika Konings Nathalie Peregrine

EPDP FInal Report

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council leadership to propose ways to balance informal implementation of EPDP recommendations and phase 2 workload.
  •  EPDP Team to package legal questions/answers and the updated Final Report with consensus level designation of each recommendation for review by the Council.
  •  Councilors to engage with and consult with their Stakeholder Group / Constituency and ensure their respective communities understand current status and have provided instructions on how to vote for the EPDP Team Final Report on 4 March (where applicable)
  •  Rafik Dammak to inform the EPDP Team of decision to defer the vote and explain next steps
  •  ICANN Staff to inform GDD that the GNSO Council directs ICANN Org to informally convene the Implementation Review team for the EPDP as soon as possible.
  •  ICANN Staff to prepare the draft recommendations report for the ICANN Board, to be considered and adopted by the GNSO Council.

k drazek Rafik Dammak Pam Little

Marika Konings Caitlin Tubergen Berry Cobb

EPDP Phase 2
  •  
Erika Mann/ Marika Konings to forward legal analysis provided by Legal/Board to the GNSO Council mailing list.

Erika Mann

Mary Wong

IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting).
 Susan Kawaguchi and Heather Forrest to prepare report on the usage of the 3.7 Appeal Process contained in the GNSO Operating Procedure that is intended to capture the process used and lessons learned.
  •  ICANN staff to inform the IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG that the GNSO Council resolved that the Working Group, in line with the Council’s priority to ensure responsible allocation of resources and timely management of the PDP, the Final Report be submitted in time to meet the July 2018 GNSO Council meeting document deadline.
  •  Councilors to review Final Report, especially in the broader context of the appropriate overall scope of protection for all IGO identifiers, in preparation for consideration as early as the August Council meeting.
  •  ICANN staff to inform the ICANN Board and the GAC that the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Mechanisms PDP Working Group has completed its work and forward a copy of the Final Report to them
  •  Councilors to review Final Report and options flowchart, then prepare a list of questions by 31 August 2018 that they have, for response by the WG leadership, WG liaison, WG members, or staff as appropriate.
  •  ICANN staff to work with the GNSO Chair and Council liaison to determine possible ways to address concerns regarding some of the PDP recommendations within the scope of the PDP Manual, in light of the fact that the WG has not identified any recommendations as being interdependent.
  •  Next steps for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms PDP WG Final Report - ICANN staff to schedule webinar for questions and answers
  •  Council leadership/staff to develop a summary document to capture concerns and issues with the PDP, as well as next step options available to the Council
  •  Council leadership to again present Council  options for the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Final Report to consider and discuss with their respective SG/Cs.
  •  Council leadership and Council to continue developing proposed path forward for the Working Group’s Final Report.
  •  Council Leadership to consider repurposing the extraordinary meeting on 14 February 2019 to discuss IGO/INGO Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms if the EPDP Final Report is not yet available for discussion and review.
  • Staff to develop options paper to support small group efforts
  •  GNSO Chair to send message to Council list to expand volunteer pool expertise beyond Council. Small team to consider and propose scope of holistic IDN review, prior to outreach with ccNSO. (Volunteers: Rubens Kuhl, Maxim Alzoba, Philippe Fouquart, Edmon Chung, Michele Neylon) (Small team believes it has requisite expertise and adequate volunteers)
  •  GNSO Chair to email Katrina Sataki to inform her of immediate next steps and willingness determine the best coordination method between the GNSO and ccNSO.
  •  Once GNSO small team is able to gain an understanding of the scope of effort and potential vehicle for resolution, ICANN staff to schedule call to identify structure for coordination between the GNSO and ccNSO. GNSO and ccNSO to identify where coordination is and is NOT needed. 
  •  ICANN staff to reach out to Maarten Simon and Philippe Fouquart to determine if they are willing to lead action items above. (Both Maarten and Philippe are members of the scoping team)
  •  ICANN staff to investigate format for JIG and see if it may be fit for purpose. (Upon review, this letter concerning the closure of the JIG was found. It will be discussed by the Council small team.)
  •  ICANN Staff to ensure that GNSO liaison(s) are assigned to the IDN ccPDP, when the ccNSO initiates that effort
  •  ICANN Staff to investigate who (e.g., Council liaison, other)
  •  Council leadership to support coordination between SubPro leadership and ccNSO to discuss string similarity.

Steve Chan Ariel Liang

Regarding the JIG format, the small team is not ready to look at that yet. but it's on their radar.

Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

 

  •  Staff to investigate the anticipated timing, funding and expected deliverables for the Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance project. 
  •  ICANN staff to invite Brian Cute to a future Council meeting
  •  Rafik Dammak to invite Brian Cute to future PDP 3.0 meeting to make sure to not create overlapping work on the Evolution of the MSM
  •  PDP3.0 small team to draft response to Public Comment and submit to Council for review.  Consider inviting Brian once the Public Comment closes.

Approval & adoption of DT's New Templates and Guidelines for the GNSO as a DP in the EC.

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Council leadership to consider and decide whether to schedule a meeting for ICANN67 to go over some of the new processes and templates in detail with the GNSO community. To discuss during SPS January 2020.
  •  ICANN staff to post the guidelines and motion templates on the GNSO’s website effective immediately upon adoption, after the technical update has been completed.

EPDP phase 1 recommendations

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED






 




  •  Council to, in consultation with the EPDP team, write communication to ICANN Board and seek to secure board support for Rec #12.
  •  Councilors to reach out to their respective SG/Cs to help inform the drafting of the letter to the Board; seek to finalize by 29 July 2019. If the need arises, Council leadership to convene small team to help further develop the letter.
  •  Councilors to work to complete the letter, which may include integrating elements such as: When the letter references that some Councilors having dissenting views, that the group holding those dissenting views are identified. Add clarity about the ask of the ICANN Board (e.g., confirm that the Board and Council have a common understanding).
  •  Rafik Dammak to confirm when recommendation one, purpose 2 will be expected to be discussed by the EPDP phase 2
  •  Council (via its Liaison to the EPDP Team) to draft note in order to consult with the EPDP Team to determine how best to address Board concerns, which the Council has suggested could affirm the recommendation by providing new, or highlighting existing rationale, and providing implementation guidance that may mitigate concerns expressed by the ICANN Board. This consultation may serve as a consideration for Council’s engagement with the ICANN Board at ICANN66, if available.
  •  Council leadership to draft proposed implementation guidance, which can follow the guidance related to the administrative contact.
  •  GNSO Chair to communicate the Supplemental Recommendation to the ICANN Board, including the vote result of the GNSO Council Supermajority supporting the Supplemental Recommendation
  •  ICANN org letter - EPDP Phase 1 Recommendation 28GNSO Council leadership, in coordination with ICANN staff, to draft a response to the ICANN Org letter and share the draft with the Council by January 2020 Council meeting.

Marika Konings Nathalie Peregrine


Active Project List

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  GNSO Council Leadership to review draft February GNSO Council agenda and assess if there is sufficient time to comprehensively review the project list. If the February agenda does not have sufficient time for this item, GNSO Support Staff to identify a separate meeting time for comprehensive project list review.

NomCom RIWG recommendations

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  GNSO Councilors to encourage their SGs and Cs to review the NomCom RIWG recommendations and provide input by 31 January 2020

GNSO Council leads & RPM co-chairs call

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Interested GNSO Council Members to send questions for RPM Co-Chairs to Council Leadership. Questions due by Wednesday 29 January. 
  •  RPM Support staff to check with co-chairs  if Flip Petillion can observe the call.


GNSO Mentor ICANN Fellowship Program

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  GNSO Secretariat to communicate resolved #1 to staff supporting the ICANN Fellowship Program. 
  •  GNSO Secretariat to inform the nominated candidate that he or she has been selected. 
  •  GNSO Secretariat to send a response to those applicants who were not nominated, thanking them for their interest and encouraging them to apply for future opportunities as they arise. 
  •  GNSO Secretariat to inform SSC of confirmation of Chair and Vice-Chair 
Nathalie Peregrine

2020 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items


...

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

The role and responsibilities of the GNSO Council as a member of the Empowered Community

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Staff to circulate to the GNSO Council the guidelines and templates that have been recently developed and adopted and which be found on the GNSO web-site (see https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/procedures under the heading Guidelines and Templates that Help the GNSO Fulfill Its Role & Obligation as a Decisional Participant in the Empowered Community).
  •  Form a small group of Council members to draft a letter to ICANN Legal to raise questions relating to potential liability of individual Council members and existing protections.

PDP3.0 Improvements

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Schedule a special Council
Leadership to inform the EPDP Team that the GNSO Council indicates its non-objection, as required per the EPDP Team Charter, for the EPDP Team to commence work on the System for Standardized Access to Non-Public Registration Data as well as other topics identified in Phase 2 of the Charter.
  •  Council to seek to provide guidance to the EPDP Team around timelines and deliverables for the EPDP Team in its phase 2 work.

k drazek Rafik Dammak

Marika Konings Caitlin Tubergen Rafik Dammak

EPDP Team

StatuscolourGreentitleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Keith Drazek to send an email to Goran Marby about the need to ensure EPDP Team and the Technical Study Group on Access to Non-Public Registration Data are informed of each others' work

2019 Council Strategic Planning Session Report

StatuscolourGreentitleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Councilors to review and provide feedback to the Strategic Planning Session Report prior to the suggested deadline of Tuesday, 26 February 2019

Action Items Action Items Action Items

Action Items

Public Comment: First Consultation on a 2-Year Planning Process

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Keith Drazek to send email to list seeking volunteers to prepare Council’s draft public comment to the 2-Year Planning Process, in time to meet the 5 March 2019 close date.

k drazek

Berry Cobb

...

  • meeting to carry out a detailed run through of the full project list. Following that, Council meeting would consider during its regular meeting any changes to the project and condition would be reviewed.
  •  Council to further consider the process and timing of the review of PDP 3.0 Improvements
  •  

    Council to agree on mechanism to start review of GNSO Operating Procedures to consider which updates may need to be made as a result of the PDP 3.0 Improvements.

  •  Council to consider commencing chartering for one of the new efforts (e.g. IDNs or transfers) to make sure the new charter template is fit for purpose.
  •  Council to confirm which additional items to move forward with and consider using agile teams to do so.
  •  Council members to consult with their respective groups to discuss whether there are other items that should be addressed going forward.

Berry Cobb

Ariel Liang Julie Hedlund  


SPS Survey

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council members to take the order ranking survey back to their respective SG/Cs to discuss and request input. This input will be further considered during an upcoming Council meeting to help inform the Council’s prioritization and decision-making going forward.

Marika Konings Steve Chan



2019 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

Role and responsibilities of GNSO more broadly



  •  For the section 3.6 Speaking at Meetings of the GNSO Operating Procedures, Council to consider revising this section since it is not strictly enforced.
  •  Council leadership and staff to consider documenting the internal operating procedures of the leadership team. Create a Chair/Vice-chair handbook, to help understand role and responsibilities.
  •  Council leadership to make the Council meeting planning document public, to both help Councilors stay informed about upcoming topics, but to seek their input for meeting preparation.
  •  Staff to investigate if the GNSO can serve as a Slack guinea pig in the already existing pilot effort within ICANN org. The use of Slack would be incumbent on a review of this platform first to understand how its threads would be archived and what level of access ICANN org would have to privileged or private communications between members. The GNSO Council will discuss whether document drafting can take place in Slack, but because the Council highly values transparency and accountability, the Council agreed that documents would need to be circulated on the archived email list to ensure that they are properly incorporated into the public record.
  •  Council leadership to liaise with the Nominating Committee to understand from Appointees and Panelists, what works, what does not within the process, and better understand how the selection process takes place. Councilors to investigate how NCAs can be better informed; identify what communications they might not be receiving.


How to manage Council’s 2019 workload: strategies to increase effectiveness
  •  Erika Mann to send note to Council upon the adoption of the new copyright law and the potential impact on GNSO policy work / DNS.
  •  Council to form a small team to work on the definitions in the Project Timing Document in relation to definitions of priority and level of effort.
  •  Staff to update Project Timing Document to try and incorporate suggestions from Councilors.


Wrap up and close of session
  •  Staff to identify what are low-hanging fruit in the PDP 3.0 implementation plan. Prioritize/color-code. Identify dependencies (e.g., reporting is needed prior to evaluation).
  •  Recurring: Small team of Councilors / Council leadership to report progress of PDP 3.0 at each Council meeting. Establish project plan for implementation for PDP 3.0. (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)
  •  In order to better prioritize work, need to know capacity of Council, community, staff, Staff to get existing information from Berry Cobb about average commitment and Council to see if that can be utilized, leveraged, and/or updated.
    •  Reviewed prior version from 2017 and must be refreshed to be useful  
  •  Staff to check if ICANN legal has looked into the insurance for WG members question.



2018 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
Role and responsibilities of Council leadership
  •  Council to consider whether existing mechanisms provide for sufficient opportunity to conduct “emergency” consultations to allow for GNSO Chair to gather input on certain topics and/or decisions that need to be taken. 
  •  Council members to provide leadership team with feedback on leadership team’s performance & actions on a regular basis. 
  •  Current Council Chair (Heather Forrest) to provide report at the end of her term outlining main challenges / concerns / recommendations in fulfilling the role. 
  •  Council to consider whether Council leadership should have a contract / letter of appointment that would outline role, responsibilities and expectations. 
Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures and related governance documents to facilitate participation in Empowered CommunityWhat does Council need/want to achieve in 2018, and how to do this?
  •  Donna Austin to share comments on scheduling of cross-community discussions with the GNSO Council.
  •  Staff to keep project timing planning document up to date and share it with the Council prior to every ICANN meeting to facilitate review and oversight of timelines. Explore whether there is a more dynamic way in which the document can be publicly shared. 
  •  Council leadership to reach out to leadership of Curative Rights and Reconvened WG on RCRC to see whether it is feasible to deliver Final Reports within 6-month timeframe.
  •  Council leadership to notify ICANN Board with regards to PDPs that are expected to deliver to finalize their report shortly so that concerns or issues can be raised prior to GNSO Council consideration. 
  •  Council leadership to request update from GNSO-appointed members to RDS Review Team at upcoming GNSO Council meeting.
  •  Council to explore mechanisms and tools for monitoring / reviewing costs related to PDP WGs with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness
  •  Council members to review framework for post-implementation reviews and provide input. Council leadership to add this to an upcoming Council meeting agenda to continue this discussion. Council to consider forming a small group of volunteers to work with staff on further developing the framework. 
  •  

    Other Council Related Action Items



...

Other Council Related Action Items


TopicEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

Nominating Committee (NomCom) Review Implementation Planning Team (IPT).

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Staff to advise how to provide input to the NomCom about GNSO NomCom appointees, also what the GNSO Operating Procedures say with respect to the NomCom appointee.
Steve Chan