Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

Additional Notes

ICANN63 GNSO Council eventICANN staff and select a restaurant for the Council’s informal get together.

k drazek

Nathalie Peregrine

Heather Forrest Donna Austin Rafik Dammak

Marika Konings Nathalie Peregrine

Adoption of the Final Report on the Protections for Certain Red Cross Names

Topic

Entry Date (E)

____________

Target Date (T)

Action Item

Responsible Council Member

____

Responsible Staff member

Info

GNSO Prioritization

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  
  • Keith Drazek to

Strategic Planning Session Action Items

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council leadership to take stock of action items and determine what is completed, unrealistic to achieve, etc.
Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  ICANN staff, WG leadership to collaborate with NCSG members to help them better understand legal basis and rationale for protections.
  •  ICANN staff to send recording of final WG call to NCSG Council members.
  •  ICANN staff to prepare a Recommendations Report for delivery to the ICANN Board in accordance with the process outlined in the ICANN Bylaws.
  •  Council leadership to draft communication which emphasizes that the GNSO Council expresses its sincere appreciation to the Reconvened PDP Working Group and its members, the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement the PDP WG Chair, Thomas Rickert, for all their hard work in achieving the delivery of the Final Report and Recommendations.
EPDP Update StatuscolourBluetitleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Council liaison to the EPDP to provide an updated work plan and weekly updates to the Council list
Rafik Dammak

GNSO2 Review

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  

    ICANN staff to submit the GNSO2 Review Implementation Final Report to the OEC of the ICANN Board of Directors for its consideration.

  •  

    GNSO Council to disband the GNSO Review Working Group after the Implementation Final Report has been approved by the ICANN Board of Directors.

  •  Council leadership to send sincere thanks to GNSO Review Working Group leadership and members.
Julie Hedlund

IFR team

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council to consider selection process by which a GNSO appointed member of the IANA Function Review (IFR) team will be selected to serve as the GNSO co-chair on the IFR as the ICANN Bylaws stipulate that “(d) The IFRT shall be led by two co-chairs: one appointed by the GNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (c)-(f) of Section 18.7 and one appointed by the ccNSO from one of the members appointed pursuant to clauses (a)-(b) of Section 18.7”.

Geo Regions Review

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Heather Forrest to follow up on status of Board review of Geo Regions Review. Cheryl Langdon-Orr, as chair of the WG, may be asked to provide an update on the recommendations, as early as the September Council meeting, though the Council has no action to take at this time.
Consideration of CCWG-Accountability WS2
  • encourage councilors to share the survey feedback received from their groups on the Council mailing list (missing IPC and ISPCP)
  •  GNSO Council, in collaboration with GNSO Support Staff, to develop a framework of prioritization for upcoming GNSO policy work based on the input received from GNSO Councilors and their respective stakeholder groups/constituencies and input from the broader ICANN community/ICANN Board.
  •  GNSO Support Staff to research and incorporate the deliberation on the Internationalized Registration Data
  (IRD) issue in the prioritization list, as appropriate.  
  •  GNSO Councilors to continue consulting with their respective groups in preparation for further Council discussion and/or decision during the March 2020 Council meeting.

PDP3.0 Final Report

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  
Councilors and their respective SG/Cs to consider Final Report in preparation for future vote at Council.
  •  GNSO Secretariat to share the results of this motion with the Chairs of the CCWG-Accountability as soon as possible.
  •  Council leadership to draft communication which emphasizes that the GNSO Council expresses its sincere appreciation to the CCWG-Accountability, the GNSO members and participants in that effort, and especially the GNSO-appointed Chair, Thomas Rickert, for all their hard work in achieving the delivery of the WS2 Final Report and Recommendations.
Next steps following adoption of ICANN Board Temporary Specification
  • GNSO Support Staff to work with the GNSO Council leadership on the deployment of improvements based on the effective time frame proposed by the PDP 3.0 Small Team.
  •  GNSO Council to carry out the other future action items in the “resolved” clauses at appropriate time, as directed in the motion.

Managing IDN Variants TLDs

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  ICANN staff to communicate the results of the EPDP motion to the GNSO SG/Cs as well as ICANN SO/ACs and to make arrangements for the EPDP Team to commence its deliberations as soon as feasible.

Heather Forrest Donna Austin Rafik Dammak

Marika Konings Caitlin Tubergen Nathalie Peregrine

PDP 3.0

  •  
Council Leadership to communicate that Council has reached agreement in principle that the Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) is the proper mechanism to address the Temporary Specification to the ICANN Board. Council tobegin some initial EPDP processes (e.g., initiation, charter drafting).
  •  Councilors to share feedback on Temporary Specification mapping document on Council mailing list.
  •  Council Leadership to investigate whether the IPC and/or BC might be open to allowing the Council to drive one of the group’s Cross-Community sessions.
  •  ICANN Staff to update ICANN62 schedule placeholders to reflect EPDP charter drafting/initiation. Also, change the closed Tuesday 09:00-10:15 session to an open one.
  •  ICANN Staff to circulate draft of EPDP initiation request and draft charter
  •  ICANN Staff to circulate Doodle poll to allow for Councilors to meet and discuss the EPDP initiation/charter drafting prior to ICANN62; subsequently, schedule meeting.
  •  Council Leadership to follow up with the ICANN Board/ICANN Org to have them designate what they feel is within the picket fence for the Temporary Specification.
  •  ICANN staff to adjust the existing action on the Temporary Specification topic to note link between the development of a post mortem on the RDS PDP and the closure of that PDP. Request that Post mortem is completed by end of July so that it can be shared with the Council in conjunction with the reminder on PDP3.0.
  •  Council to develop next steps in preparation for possible adoption of temporary policy by the ICANN Board which would kick off a one year PDP.
  •  Heather Forrest to follow up with Cherine Chalaby to see if there is any new information from the Board.
  •  ICANN Staff to create Google Doc to capture input from Councilors and their respective SG/Cs about what should be discussed in meeting with the ICANN Board.
  •  By 1 June, Councilors to seek input from their respective SG/Cs to determine what they believe should be discussed in meeting the with the ICANN Board, and enter the information in the Google Doc created.
  •  ICANN Staff to schedule meeting with the Board to take place shortly after 1 June.
  •  ICANN Staff to create doodle poll to schedule extraordinary meeting on or around 14 June.
  •  RDS PDP Leadership to prepare post mortem on what took place in the PDP to be completed by end of July so that it can be shared with the Council in conjunction with the reminder on PDP3.0. Receipt of the post mortem will mark the closure of the RDS PDP.
 Council leadership to consider and propose options for closure of the PDP on gTLD Registration Data Services. Include item on August Council meeting agenda.
  • Staff to develop options paper to support small group efforts
  •  GNSO Chair to send message to Council list to expand volunteer pool expertise beyond Council. Small team to consider and propose scope of holistic IDN review, prior to outreach with ccNSO. (Volunteers: Rubens Kuhl, Maxim Alzoba, Philippe Fouquart, Edmon Chung, Michele Neylon) (Small team believes it has requisite expertise and adequate volunteers)
  •  GNSO Chair to email Katrina Sataki to inform her of immediate next steps and willingness determine the best coordination method between the GNSO and ccNSO.
  •  Once GNSO small team is able to gain an understanding of the scope of effort and potential vehicle for resolution, ICANN staff to schedule call to identify structure for coordination between the GNSO and ccNSO. GNSO and ccNSO to identify where coordination is and is NOT needed. 
  •  ICANN staff to reach out to Maarten Simon and Philippe Fouquart to determine if they are willing to lead action items above. (Both Maarten and Philippe are members of the scoping team)
  •  ICANN staff to investigate format for JIG and see if it may be fit for purpose. (Upon review, this letter concerning the closure of the JIG was found. It will be discussed by the Council small team.)
  •  ICANN Staff to ensure that GNSO liaison(s) are assigned to the IDN ccPDP, when the ccNSO initiates that effort
  •  ICANN Staff to investigate who (e.g., Council liaison, other)
  •  Council leadership to support coordination between SubPro leadership and ccNSO to discuss string similarity.
  •  GNSO Councilors to review the IDN Scoping team Recommendation Report by the March 2020 Council meeting; Keith to send a reminder to the Council list.
  •  GNSO Council to use the revised charter template and other related PDP 3.0 work products to develop a draft charter for a future PDP/EPDP for the IDN policy effort, consider potential overlap of IDN PDP with other GNSO PDPs
, and report to the GNSO Council on whether these PDP 3.0 work products help achieve the intended outcomes.

Steve Chan Ariel Liang

Regarding the JIG format, the small team is not ready to look at that yet. but it's on their radar.

Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance

Status
colourBlue
title

COMPLETED

 

IN PROGRESS

 

 

  •  Staff to
consolidate input and comments into a Google document.
  •  Staff to propose next steps (e.g., identify goal for ICANN62 and plan backwards).
  •  Council to review and provide feedback on PDP 3.0 Discussion Paper by 8 June.
  •  Council to extend deadline for SG/C feedback until 15 August 2018
  •  Council Leadership to develop proposed plan and timeline to progress project in preparation for a public consultation at ICANN63.
  •  Council leadership to propose and plan for next steps, expected to be a webinar with a preliminary target as the first week of September.

Heather Forrest Donna Austin Rafik Dammak

Marika Konings

SubPro/RPM Consolidated timeline

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Council liaisons to the respective PDP WGs to review Sunday Working Session and extract notes and action items.
  •  Council liaisons to the respective PDP WGs to work with PDP WG leadership to expand timeline to include potential implementation steps/scenarios.
  •  Council liaisons to WGs to scope the issue and understand requirements/dependencies between the two PDP WGs.
 ICANN staff to schedule informal liaisons and Chairs discussion at ICANN63.
  •  ICANN staff to arrange for a prep call between respective leadership teams and Council liaisons

Donna Austin Paul McGrady k drazek

Mary Wong Steve Chan

Nathalie Peregrine

CSC and IFR Review

StatuscolourBluetitleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Donna Austin and Philippe Fouquart to lead small team to suggest ways to avoid overlap between reviews; coordinate with the ccNSO in doing so.
  •  ccNSO and GNSO Councils to conduct an analysis of the requirements of the IANA Naming Function Review and the CSC Effectiveness Review with a view to creating synergies and avoiding overlap.
  •  ICANN staff to check on timeline for seating IFR review team, after which GNSO would be responsible for selecting a GNSO co-chair from amongst the GNSO members. Give the SSC a heads up that they may be asked to conduct a selection process.
  •  Customer Standing Committee (CSC) Effectiveness Review - GNSO Secretariat to notify ICANN Org no later than 30 September that the GNSO has approved of the method of review the and GNSO representatives for CSC Effectiveness Review, specifically Donna Austin and Philippe Fouquart.
  •  Approval of the Members and Liaisons of the Customer Standing Committee (CSC) - GNSO Secretariat to notify ICANN Org no later than 30 September that the GNSO has approved the full list of CSC liaisons and members (which can be found here: https://community.icann.org/x/IxlpBQ).

Donna Austin Philippe Fouquart

Marika Konings

Nathalie Peregrine

Updated Charter for the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  GNSO Council to seek clarification about the level of resources expected to be allocated to the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance.
  •  GNSO Council Liaison to the ccNSO to coordinate with the Country Codes Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) as the Cross Community Engagement Group on Internet Governance seeks to resolve concerns identified by the ccNSO Council.
  •  GNSO Council to determine if it will serve as a Chartering Organization, if the Cross Community Engagement Group mechanism supports Chartering Organizations.

Heather Forrest Donna Austin Rafik Dammak Philippe Fouquart

Marika Konings

Drafting Team on charter related to the next steps for the ICANN Procedure of Handling Whois conflicts with Privacy

  • investigate the anticipated timing, funding and expected deliverables for the Evolution of the Multi stakeholder Model of Governance project. 
  •  ICANN staff to invite Brian Cute to a future Council meeting
  •  Rafik Dammak to invite Brian Cute to future PDP 3.0 meeting to make sure to not create overlapping work on the Evolution of the MSM
  •  PDP3.0 small team to draft response to Public Comment and submit to Council for review.  Consider inviting Brian once the Public Comment closes.
  •  GNSO Council to organize a community sharing session about PDP 3.0 implementation work that aligns with the MSM evolution project before or during ICANN68 (specific timing/format TBD)  

EPDP 2 team request for input on data accuracy

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Keith Drazek to send an email to the GNSO Council mailing list regarding the possible next steps regarding the data accuracy issue, with the aim to provide a response to the EPDP Team by Friday, 13 March

New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Project Change Request

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  GNSO Council to provide feedback with regard to the SubPro PCR on list for one week (till 27 February 2020), which should help inform the GNSO Council decision on whether to approve the PCR. Keith to send a reminder on the Council list.

Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs PDP Project Change Request

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  GNSO Council to provide feedback with regard to the RPM PCR on list for one week (till 27 February 2020), which should help inform the GNSO Council decision on whether to approve the PCR. Keith to send a reminder on the Council list.

ICANN67

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  Councilors who were unable to attend the pre ICANN67 GNSO Policy Update webinar to listen to the recording of the session prior to the week of ICANN67 (week of 9 March). Keith to send a reminder to the Council list.
k drazek

Draft FY21-25 Operating & Financial Plan and Draft FY21 Operating Plan & Budget

Status
colourGreen
titleCOMPLETED

 

  •  GNSO Council, especially the Councilors involved in the PDP 3.0 small team, to review the draft and provide input for the PDP 3.0 related comments no later than 21 February 2020 at 23:59 UTC.

2020 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items


...

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

The role and responsibilities of the GNSO Council as a member of the Empowered Community

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

 

  •  GNSO Council, after having considered the 1 August letter from Akram Atallah and receiving a brief update from GDD on its 24 August Council meeting, should determine next steps for reviewing the Whois Procedure.
  •  Drafting team members to share draft charter and identified questions in charter with respective SG/Cs for feedback, following which the drafting team will review this input and finalize the charter for GNSO Council consideration.
  •  Council to consider adoption of charter at its upcoming meeting
  •  Call for volunteers to be delayed at least until the EPDP hits the milestone of publishing its Initial Report. Council to discuss this topic once that milestone is hit.
  •  ICANN Staff to circulate a call for volunteers (subsequent to the initiation and chartering process for the EPDP on the Temporary Specification) to the GNSO Stakeholder Groups, with the request for each Stakeholder Group to appoint up to 3 members to the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). The call for volunteers should also be more widely circulated to seek volunteers to serve as participants and observers to the IAG.

Michele Neylon Paul McGrady k drazek Stephanie Perrin Pam Little

Marika Konings Nathalie Peregrine

GNSO members for the ICANN Accountability and Transparency (ATRT3) Review Team
  •  Staff to circulate to the GNSO Council the guidelines and templates that have been recently developed and adopted and which be found on the GNSO web-site (see https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/procedures under the heading Guidelines and Templates that Help the GNSO Fulfill Its Role & Obligation as a Decisional Participant in the Empowered Community).
  •  Form a small group of Council members to draft a letter to ICANN Legal to raise questions relating to potential liability of individual Council members and existing protections.

PDP3.0 Improvements

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  
GNSO Secretariat to communicate resolved #1 (“The GNSO Council nominates, ranked in order: Brian Cute (RySG), Wolfgang Kleinwächter (NCSG), Stéphane Van Gelder (RySG) as its primary three candidates for the ATRT3. Furthermore, the GNSO nominates, in ranked order: Tatiana Tropina (NCSG), Michael Karanicolas (NCSG), Adetola Sogbesan (BC), Erica Varlese (RySG) to be considered for inclusion in the ATRT3 by the SO-AC Chairs should additional places be available that need to be filled.”) to the staff supporting the ATRT3.
  •  GNSO Secretariat to inform the endorsed candidates that the GNSO Council expects that if selected for the ATRT3, the applicant will represent the views of the entire GNSO community in their work on the ATRT3, and provide regular feedback as a group on the discussions taking place in the ATRT3, as well as the positions being taken by GNSO Review Team members. (to be completed after meeting with other SO/ACs to determine final Review Team membership)
  •  Staff supporting the ATRT3 and application process to send a response to those applicants who did not receive endorsement for this Review Team, thanking them for their interest and note their importance in the event an alternate is needed in the future. The response should encourage them to follow the ATRT3 work, participate in Public Comments and community discussions, and to apply for future opportunities within the GNSO Community as they arise. (to be completed after meeting with other SO/ACs to determine final Review Team membership)
  •  ICANN Staff to post GNSO Council Leadership letter to GNSO nominated ATRT3 members on the GNSO Correspondence page.
  •  Standing Selection Committee to check with selected candidates and determine if they are still interested in serving on the ATRT3.
  •  ICANN staff to ask MSSI what the expected timeline to begin work is, once the short/long-term review public comment periods conclude. Inquire as well if they are intending to run an additional call for volunteers.
 Council Leadership to ask other SO/ACs if they have a need for an additional call for volunteers.

IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms

  • Schedule a special Council meeting to carry out a detailed run through of the full project list. Following that, Council meeting would consider during its regular meeting any changes to the project and condition would be reviewed.
  •  Council to further consider the process and timing of the review of PDP 3.0 Improvements
  •  

    Council to agree on mechanism to start review of GNSO Operating Procedures to consider which updates may need to be made as a result of the PDP 3.0 Improvements.

  •  Council to consider commencing chartering for one of the new efforts (e.g. IDNs or transfers) to make sure the new charter template is fit for purpose.
  •  Council to confirm which additional items to move forward with and consider using agile teams to do so.
  •  Council members to consult with their respective groups to discuss whether there are other items that should be addressed going forward.

Berry Cobb

Ariel Liang Julie Hedlund  


SPS Survey

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  
Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting). Susan Kawaguchi and Heather Forrest to prepare report on the usage of the 3.7 Appeal Process contained in the GNSO Operating Procedure that is intended to capture the process used and lessons learned.
  •  ICANN staff to inform the IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG that the GNSO Council resolved that the Working Group, in line with the Council’s priority to ensure responsible allocation of resources and timely management of the PDP, the Final Report be submitted in time to meet the July 2018 GNSO Council meeting document deadline.
  •  Councilors to review Final Report, especially in the broader context of the appropriate overall scope of protection for all IGO identifiers, in preparation for consideration as early as the August Council meeting.
  •  ICANN staff to inform the ICANN Board and the GAC that the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Mechanisms PDP Working Group has completed its work and forward a copy of the Final Report to them
  •  Councilors to review Final Report and options flowchart, then prepare a list of questions by 31 August 2018 that they have, for response by the WG leadership, WG liaison, WG members, or staff as appropriate.
  •  ICANN staff to work with the GNSO Chair and Council liaison to determine possible ways to address concerns regarding some of the PDP recommendations within the scope of the PDP Manual, in light of the fact that the WG has not identified any recommendations as being interdependent.

Susan Kawaguchi

Mary Wong Steve Chan

Consensus Policy Implementation Framework

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

 

  •  Councilors to review proposed amendments to the Consensus Policy Implementation Framework (CPIF) and if desired, disseminate to their respective Stakeholder Groups/Constituencies. The goal is to ensure feedback is returned to ICANN org in a timely manner and allow for them to provide a proposed final version by the end of July.
  •  Councilors to review Post Implementation Consensus Policy Review Framework (PICPRF) process diagram and complete survey by 18 May (see https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/postimplreview).
  •  ICANN staff to provide Consensus Policy Implementation Framework (CPIF) updates and related slides to the Council list.
  •  Council to determine by 31 July 2018 whether the proposed updates are acceptable or determine if something further is needed (e.g., webinar)

Heather Forrest Rafik Dammak Donna Austin

Marika Konings

...

  • Council members to take the order ranking survey back to their respective SG/Cs to discuss and request input. This input will be further considered during an upcoming Council meeting to help inform the Council’s prioritization and decision-making going forward.

Marika Konings Steve Chan



2019 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes

Role and responsibilities of GNSO more broadly



  •  For the section 3.6 Speaking at Meetings of the GNSO Operating Procedures, Council to consider revising this section since it is not strictly enforced.
  •  Council leadership and staff to consider documenting the internal operating procedures of the leadership team. Create a Chair/Vice-chair handbook, to help understand role and responsibilities.
  •  Council leadership to make the Council meeting planning document public, to both help Councilors stay informed about upcoming topics, but to seek their input for meeting preparation.
  •  Staff to investigate if the GNSO can serve as a Slack guinea pig in the already existing pilot effort within ICANN org. The use of Slack would be incumbent on a review of this platform first to understand how its threads would be archived and what level of access ICANN org would have to privileged or private communications between members. The GNSO Council will discuss whether document drafting can take place in Slack, but because the Council highly values transparency and accountability, the Council agreed that documents would need to be circulated on the archived email list to ensure that they are properly incorporated into the public record.
  •  Council leadership to liaise with the Nominating Committee to understand from Appointees and Panelists, what works, what does not within the process, and better understand how the selection process takes place. Councilors to investigate how NCAs can be better informed; identify what communications they might not be receiving.


How to manage Council’s 2019 workload: strategies to increase effectiveness
  •  Erika Mann to send note to Council upon the adoption of the new copyright law and the potential impact on GNSO policy work / DNS.
  •  Council to form a small team to work on the definitions in the Project Timing Document in relation to definitions of priority and level of effort.
  •  Staff to update Project Timing Document to try and incorporate suggestions from Councilors.


Wrap up and close of session
  •  Staff to identify what are low-hanging fruit in the PDP 3.0 implementation plan. Prioritize/color-code. Identify dependencies (e.g., reporting is needed prior to evaluation).
  •  Recurring: Small team of Councilors / Council leadership to report progress of PDP 3.0 at each Council meeting. Establish project plan for implementation for PDP 3.0. (Action Item taken on board by the PDP 3.0 small team)
  •  In order to better prioritize work, need to know capacity of Council, community, staff, Staff to get existing information from Berry Cobb about average commitment and Council to see if that can be utilized, leveraged, and/or updated.
    •  Reviewed prior version from 2017 and must be refreshed to be useful  
  •  Staff to check if ICANN legal has looked into the insurance for WG members question.



2018 Strategic Planning Session (SPS) Action Items

SPS SegmentEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
What is the GNSO Council and what does it do?
  •  Council leadership to consider adding references to relevant ICANN Bylaw sections for agenda items on the GNSO Council agenda, following the example of the ICANN Board. 
  •  Council to discuss with the ICANN Board on Day 3 what can be done to facilitate understanding and communication between the GNSO Council and the ICANN Board – may require more than 1 hour at every ICANN meeting. 
Role and responsibilities of Council leadership
  •  Council to consider whether existing mechanisms provide for sufficient opportunity to conduct “emergency” consultations to allow for GNSO Chair to gather input on certain topics and/or decisions that need to be taken. 
  •  Council members to provide leadership team with feedback on leadership team’s performance & actions on a regular basis. 
  •  Current Council Chair (Heather Forrest) to provide report at the end of her term outlining main challenges / concerns / recommendations in fulfilling the role. 
  •  Council to consider whether Council leadership should have a contract / letter of appointment that would outline role, responsibilities and expectations. 
Role of Council liaisons
  •  Staff to update liaison document based on input provided and circulate it to the Council for further review and discussion.
  •  Council to reconfirm liaisons to PDP WG, IRTs and other projects once agreement has been achieved on the role and responsibilities of liaisons.
Changes to GNSO Operating Procedures and related governance documents to facilitate participation in Empowered CommunityHow to manage Council’s 2018 workload: strategies to increase effectiveness
  •  Council leadership to develop clear timeline for action items listed hereunder as well as who will be responsible for delivering on these.
  •  Engage with PDP leadership teams at ICANN61 during GNSO weekend sessions to discuss state of work, identify challenges and possible paths forward. Council leadership team to review ICANN61 schedule and carve out time for this discussion. 
  •  Develop a white paper on incremental changes to the PDP that outlines these discussions as well as main findings of staff discussion paper to engage the broader community in this conversation. 
What does Council need/want to achieve in 2018, and how to do this?
  •  Donna Austin to share comments on scheduling of cross-community discussions with the GNSO Council.
  •  Staff to keep project timing planning document up to date and share it with the Council prior to every ICANN meeting to facilitate review and oversight of timelines. Explore whether there is a more dynamic way in which the document can be publicly shared. 
  •  Council leadership to reach out to leadership of Curative Rights and Reconvened WG on RCRC to see whether it is feasible to deliver Final Reports within 6-month timeframe.
  •  Council leadership to notify ICANN Board with regards to PDPs that are expected to deliver to finalize their report shortly so that concerns or issues can be raised prior to GNSO Council consideration. 
  •  Council leadership to request update from GNSO-appointed members to RDS Review Team at upcoming GNSO Council meeting.
  •  Council to explore mechanisms and tools for monitoring / reviewing costs related to PDP WGs with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness
  •  Council members to review framework for post-implementation reviews and provide input. Council leadership to add this to an upcoming Council meeting agenda to continue this discussion. Council to consider forming a small group of volunteers to work with staff on further developing the framework. 

...



...

Other Council Related Action Items


TopicEntry DateAction ItemResponsible PartyAdditional Notes
CSC and IFR Review

 

  •  Donna Austin and Philippe Fouquart to lead small team to suggest ways to avoid overlap between reviews; coordinate with the ccNSO in doing so, provide report.
  •  Donna Austin and Philippe Fouquart to lead small team to suggest ways to avoid overlap between reviews; coordinate with the ccNSO in doing so

Nominating Committee (NomCom) Review Implementation Planning Team (IPT).

Status
colourBlue
titleIN PROGRESS

 

  •  Staff to advise how to provide input to the NomCom about GNSO NomCom appointees, also what the GNSO Operating Procedures say with respect to the NomCom appointee.
Steve Chan