LACRALO Elections 2010 at a Glance
As an integral part of ICANN's At-Large infrastructure, the membership of LACRALO must hold a number of elections in 2010:
ALAC Representative selected by LACRALO (AGM 2010 - AGM 2012)
Nominating period closes on 20 August 2010
LACRALO Delegate to the ICANN Nominating Committee - LACRALO may give a recommendation to the ALAC
Candidate list transmitted to the ALAC on16 August 2010
On April 15th, 2010 Andrés Piazza was elected Chair for the period of one year
On April 15th, 2010 Dev Anand Teelucksingh was elected Secretariat for the period of one year
AGM stands for Annual General Meeting. ICANN's next Annual General Meeting will be held in Cartagena, Colombia from 5 December to 10 December 2010.
The RALOs elect two out of three of their regional representatives on the ALAC. The third representative is appointed by the Nominating Committee.
Suggested Election Timeline
The LACRALO instruments do not contain specific provisions governing the election process. Therefore, it is suggested that the following election process shall be adopted:
1. Call for election: The regional Secretariat will make a call for election (no later than 23 July 2010)
2. Nomination period: Nominations shall be accepted for four weeks after the Secretariat calls for nominations (up to 20 August 2010)
3. Acceptance deadline: The nominees need to accept their nomination no later than seven days after the nomination period ends (27 August 2010)
4. Election deadline: The election shall begin no later than one week after the end of the acceptance deadline (3 September 2010) and end no later than two weeks later (17 September 2010)
Therefore, the votes would actually be cast between 3 September and 17 September 2010.
Please Note: LACRALO is free to adopt a different process.
Obligations and Responsibilities of ALAC members
The obligation and requirement of ALAC members and liaisons are outlined in the ICANN Bylaws, ALAC Rules of Procedure and the ALAC Internal Rules of Procedure. You will find relevant extracts from these sources under ALAC Members - Obligations and Responsibilities.
Who can run for the ALAC Representative position?
- According to rule 8 of the LACRALO Operating Principles:
The LACRALO shall elect two (2) individual to serve as representatives before the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) on the terms specified in the ICANN By-Laws. Only those ALSs that have been accredited prior to the election shall be entitled to vote in the election. Each accredited ALS shall be entitled to one vote. The selected representatives shall be members of various ALSs, have their main places of residence in countries of the region, and their nationalities must be
distinct. The representatives shall be responsible for the duties stipulated by the ICANN By-Laws.
In the case of the election, the affiliation, residency and nationality shall also be taken into account with respect to the person acting as a representative vis-à-vis the ALAC on behalf of the LAC appointed by the NONCOM.
- Selected representatives also need to respect the Obligations and Responsibilities of ALAC members.
The incumbent is Carlos Aguirre. He is not eligible for re-election since according to rule 9 of the LACRALO Operating Principles, the terms of ALAC Representatives shall not exceed two (2) years and they may not be re-elected.
Note: Carlos was able to serve two consecutive terms thanks to a special LACRALO bylaw provision governing the terms of the initial representatives to the ALAC:
First Temporary Provision: The term of office of the initial members shall be two (2) and three (3) years respectively, and a new representative shall be elected upon expiration of their terms. In that manner, a candidate will be voted for each year. In the case of the first representative elected for two years, re-election for a single two-year term will be possible.
(see rule 9 of the LACRALO Operating Principles Rev1.pdf)
Nominations for ALAC Representative
Date Nominee Accepted
Matias Altamira Gigena
17 August 2010
José Luis Barzallo
José Ovidio Salgueiro
17 August 2010
Sergio Salinas Porto
19 August 2010
Cintra Sooknanan, James Corbin
20 August 2010
Presentation ALAC Representative Candidates
Click here to find the statements of interest and the questions from the regional members to the candidates for the position of ALAC Representative and their. The regional Secretariat asked the regional members to submit questions before the telephonic election debate to held during the week of 30 August.
Nomination Committee Delegate from LACRALO
The ALAC ExCom suggested the following timetable for nominations and recommendations for the LACRALO NomCom Delegate position:
1. Nominations Open: No later than 23 July 2010
2. Nominations Close: on or before 6 August 2010
3. Nomination Acceptance Deadline: on or before 10 August 2010
4. Voting Period to select preferred LACRALO candidate: 11 August 2010 to 15 August 2010 *5. ALAC Notification: RALOs to transmit all accepted nominations, with a recommendation of a preferred candidate if the RALO wishes to provide one: 16 August 2010
6. ALAC Voting Begins: 18 August 2010
7. ALAC Voting Ends: 24 August 2010
8. Notification to NomCom of Appointees: No Later than 31 August 2010
The incumbent for Latin America and the Caribbean is Jose Ovidio Salgueiro. He eligible for re-election.
Nominations for NomCom Delegate from Latin America and the Caribbean Islandsthe Caribbean
Date Nominee Accepted
José Ovidio Salgueiro
José Ovidio Salgueiro (sent in private email to the LACRALO Secretariat)
Matías Altamira, Carlos Vera
23 July 2010
In accordance with the selection process outline, it is not necessary to second a nomination in order for it to be valid
LACRALO Chair and Secretariat
On April 15th, 2010, LACRALO Chair Andrés Piazza and LACRALO Secretary Dev Anand Teelucksingh were returned to their respective positions for one year (see announcement of election results - 15 April 2010). Their term will expire on April 14th, 2011.
Nominations for ALAC Representative:I want to apply for Matias Altamira Gigena of IIISI
Alberto Soto - Director IIISI
contributed by firstname.lastname@example.org on 2010-08-13 15:16:54 GMT