|Table of Contents|
The Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) Regional At-Large Organisation (LACRALO) has to elect representatives to serve on behalf of LACRALO and to serve on several ICANN Supporting Organisations on a regular basis.
LACRALO has two elected representatives as specified in the LACRALO Organising documents :
According to the LACRALO Operating Principles :
"4. ....The General Assembly shall elect a President, whose term shall be for one year, with the possibility of reelection. The process of election of the President of the Assembly shall take into account the level of participation, leadership, commitment, and knowledge of the work of the Assembly. In the event of a tie in the course of deliberations, the President shall cast the deciding vote.
His duties will consist of, among other things, establish a link between the discussions in ALAC and the contributions made by the region, represent the region in the ALAC face-to-face meetings and chair the debates of the Assembly held through discussion lists, teleconferences and face-to-face meetings."
According to the LACRALO Operating Principles :
"6. The LACRALO shall be assisted by a Secretariat; the duties of said Secretariat may be performed by an ALS member appointed by the General Assembly.
7. The Secretariat shall have administrative and informative functions. It will be responsible for maintenance of the communications systems and the proper flow of information on matters under discussion among all the ALSs belonging to the LACRALO, and any other responsibilities assigned to it by the General Assembly."
The term of the LACRALO Secretariat is one year.
How does LACRALO elect its LACRALO President and Secretariat
(to be updated)
Representatives to ICANN Supporting Organisations
As part of its obligations to the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) and to ICANN, LACRALO has to elect representatives from LACRALO to serve on the following ICANN supporting organisations on an ongoing basis :
At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)
As described in the MOU of the LACRALO Organising Documents :
"5.4.1 The LACRALO will choose two (2) individuals to serve as representatives to the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), in the terms specified in the ICANN bylaws. Only those ALSes who have been accredited prior to the election will be able to vote. Each accredited ALS will have one (1) vote. The selected representatives must be
- members of different ALSes,
- must have their principal residence in different countries of the region and
- their nationalities must be different.
Selected representatives will have the responsibilities described in the ICANN Bylaws."
With the above, the LACRALO Operating Principles also has this with respect to ALAC representatives from LACRALO :
"8. The LACRALO shall elect two (2) individual to serve as representatives before the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) on the terms specified in the ICANN By-Laws. Only those ALSs that have been
accredited prior to the election shall be entitled to vote in the election. Each accredited ALS shall be entitled to one vote. The selected representatives shall be members of various ALSs, have their main places
of residence in countries of the region, and their nationalities must be distinct. The representatives shall be responsible for the duties stipulated by the ICANN By-Laws.
In the case of the election, the affiliation, residency and nationality shall also be taken into account with respect to the person acting as a representative vis-à-vis the ALAC on behalf of the LAC appointed by the
9. The term of office of the two representatives elected by the LACRALO vis-à-vis the ALAC shall not exceed two (2) years and they may not be re-elected.
First Temporary Provision: The term of office of the initial members shall be two (2) and three (3) years respectively, and a new representative shall be elected upon expiration of their terms. In that manner, a candidate will be voted for each year. In the case of the first representative elected for two years, re-election for a single two-year term will be possible."
and in accordance with Article XI of the ICANN bylaws, Section 2, Paragraph 4c :
"the regular terms of members of the ALAC shall be as follows :
1. The term of one member selected by each RALO shall begin at the conclusion of an ICANN annual meeting in an even-numbered year.
2. The term of the other member selected by each RALO shall begin at the conclusion of an ICANN annual meeting in an odd-numbered year.
3. The terms of three of the members selected by the Nominating Committee shall begin at the conclusion of an annual meeting in an odd-numbered year and the terms of the other two members selected by the Nominating Committee shall begin at the conclusion of an annual meeting in an even-numbered year.
4. The regular term of each member shall end at the conclusion of the second ICANN annual meeting after the term began."
Obligations and Responsibilities of ALAC members
The obligation and requirements of ALAC members can be found on the ALAC Members - Obligations and Responsibilities page
How does LACRALO elect representatives to serve on ALAC?
- A call for candidates from LACRALO to serve on the ALAC is posted on the LACRALO mailing list and website. A deadline for the submission of nominations to serve on ALAC is specified in the announcement. Also specified are the eligibility requirements for prospective candidates (candidates cannot be from the same ALS or country as the other serving ALAC members from the LAC region).
- During the call for candidates to serve on ALAC, ALS representatives in LACRALO may offer him or her self as a ALAC candidate and/or nominate another ALS representative to be a ALAC candidate. ALS representatives can also second such nominations. Nominated candidates to ALAC are expected to confirm whether he or she is willing to stand as a candidate.
- After the close of the call for candidates, the secretariat confirms with the nominees that they have accepted their nomination and presents the final list of candidates on the LACRALO mailing list and on the LACRALO website.
- The vote to elect a ALAC representative takes place. At the beginning of the voting period, each ALS in LACRALO is emailed specific instructions and a website to go to submit their vote.
- At the end of the voting period, the votes are tallied as per rule 12.9 of the RoP (each vote is weighted with a country coefficient), and results of the vote is presented to LACRALO and transmitted to the ALAC.
ICANN's Nominating Committee (NomCom)
From the ICANN's Nominating Committee website :
"The Nominating Committee (NomCom) is an independent committee tasked with selecting a majority of the members of the Board of Directors and other key positions within ICANN's structure."
The At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) appoints, in consultation with LACRALO, a representative from LACRALO to serve on the Nominating Committee (NomCom). Such representatives of the NomCom are appointed for a one year term, and may be re-appointed for a further term of one year subject to the requirement under the ICANN By Laws that a such a representative may only serve a maximum of two consecutive years.
While LACRALO does not formally elect a representative to the NomCom, LACRALO has to submit to ALAC a list of all accepted regional nominations for the NomCom position and may also make a recommendation of a preferred candidate to the ALAC.
Obligations and Requirements for NomCom members
Please see the NomCom members - Obligations and Requirements page
How does LACRALO recommend a NomCom candidate?
- A call for candidates from LACRALO to serve on the NomCom committee is announced to the LACRALO mailing lists and on its website. A deadline for the submission of nominations is specified in the announcement.
- During this call for candidates, ALS representatives in LACRALO may offer him or her self as a NomCom candidate and/or nominate another ALS representative to be a NomCom candidate. ALS representatives can also second such nominations. Nominated candidates to NomCom are expected to confirm whether he or she is willing to stand as a candidate.
- After the close of the call for candidates, nominated candidates should submit a statement of interest which would be posted on the LACRALO website. This is typically for only a few days as it is expected that nominated candidates would have worked on such a statement during the call for candidates. The time also allows for the setting up of the online poll for the voting period to select a preferred LACRALO candidate.
- The vote to select a preferred LACRALO candidate takes place. At the beginning of the voting period, each ALS in LACRALO is emailed specific instructions and a website to go to submit their vote.
- At the end of the voting period, the results are tallied as per rule 12.9 of the RoP (each vote is weighted with a country coefficient) and the results of the vote are announced to the list, with the preferred candidate.
- LACRALO transmits all accepted nominations, with its recommendation of its preferred candidate to ALAC.
Current LACRALO Representatives
See the LACRALO Regional Leaders page for the current LACRALO officers, ALAC representatives, and current elected representative from LACRALO to the NomCom.