Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       I don’t think so; I think there are five of them.

Wiki MarkupVanda Scartezini:                    \[Inaudible Scartezini:                    [Inaudible 00:04:20\] that was supposed to \[inaudible 00:04:24\] in Singapore and then --\\ Wiki MarkupMale:     &[inaudible 00:04:24] in Singapore and then --

Male:                                       Oh you mean the further no [inaudible nbsp;                                 Oh you mean the further no \[inaudible 00:04:28\] of inquiry?\\

Vanda Scartezini:                    And I sent a note saying --

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Ah.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Vanda Scartezini:                    \[Inaudible Scartezini:                    [Inaudible 00:04:34\] to the Spanish group LAC Spanish because the other is in English.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Correct.  Okay well that’s true but that’s not formally an ICANN policy issue out for comment Vanda.  But I think we can mention that in – well we can add that in any other business probably after we deal with these comments that are formally open for public comment.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay, go ahead Vanda. 

Wiki MarkupVanda Scartezini:                    We have a specific Latin and LAC Group meeting in Singapore, it was organized by the new guy from our region, Jose DeBaja and it was about also how can see and how we could help as a group.  One of the issues was exactly how to raise \[inaudible 00:11:49\] of new gTLDs.  And we are discussing then how to participate on some shares and conferences around, so it was a group for that.  One of the issues was that and I do believe we need to go deeply on that as soon as the translation is available for the Spanish part. \\Scartezini:                    We have a specific Latin and LAC Group meeting in Singapore, it was organized by the new guy from our region, Jose DeBaja and it was about also how can see and how we could help as a group.  One of the issues was exactly how to raise [inaudible 00:11:49] of new gTLDs.  And we are discussing then how to participate on some shares and conferences around, so it was a group for that.  One of the issues was that and I do believe we need to go deeply on that as soon as the translation is available for the Spanish part. 

So this is one thing that we need to pay attention to because we need to be involved in that.  And this is our opportunity to offer our hand to the grouping side of ICANN to really put our group as a part of the ICANN to provide information related to important issues for ICANN in our region.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Well okay I'm tempted to say – alright Vanda go ahead.

Vanda Scartezini:                    Yes, just to – a quick answer to Olivier too, is the importance is to have the words spread around, it's the only way people that are not aware because this new gTLD is not only for IT connected people.  So it's for many other kind of companies.  In communities it's the only way to have this really is the world connected and informities to have the work going on in many regions.   At-Large group is something that is important to make this information be alive during this process because the way we respond [inaudible 00:18:47] is short time from now. Wiki MarkupVanda Scartezini:                    Yes, just to -- a quick answer to Olivier too, is the importance is to have the words spread around, it's the only way people that are not aware because this new gTLD is not only for IT connected people.  So it's for many other kind of companies.  In communities it's the only way to have this really is the world connected and informities to have the work going on in many regions.   At-Large group is something that is important to make this information be alive during this process because the way we respond \[inaudible 00:18:47\] is short time from now.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Indeed I see we have --

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Yes, okay Sergio and then Fatima.  Go ahead Sergio.

Wiki MarkupSergio Salinas:                         I would like to answer a little bit about the question of Olivier.  And I would like to speak to what was said.  I think it is important.  I guess we have to use the media to distribute these new gTLDs.  But I think that we have to do a job -- you know, we have to train the journalist because we don’t teach them how to deal with this, we can get people confused.  It has happened to me in which sometimes they mix-up these new gTLDs with people \[inaudible 00:19:56\] and number of other things or issues. \\Salinas:                         I would like to answer a little bit about the question of Olivier.  And I would like to speak to what was said.  I think it is important.  I guess we have to use the media to distribute these new gTLDs.  But I think that we have to do a job – you know, we have to train the journalist because we don’t teach them how to deal with this, we can get people confused.  It has happened to me in which sometimes they mix-up these new gTLDs with people [inaudible 00:19:56] and number of other things or issues. 

That’s why I think that the At-Large conversations should work with the local journalists with a number of related to informational topics and domain topics.  But I think it is important as well that the impact the new gTLDs are going to have in the lower echelon of the users.  It isn’t exactly clear what is the topic of the dominion.  So we have to work a lot on that to be able to clarify whether the new gTLDs.  It is important for us to work with those journalists. 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Thank you Sergio.  Fatima go ahead.
.  Fatima go ahead.

Fatima Cambronero:               Yes, this is to answer the question of Olivier.  I'm a little bit in disagreement.  I think that the responsibility the community takes is with the permit of communications in ICANN.  ICANN could contribute with these issues and in order for us to contribute we have to have the tools with the department of communication in order to have a very specific communication in not only the misinformed.  I think we can collaborate with them, this is important.  Now in relation to the second part of the question, I don’t think it is too early.  I think we have to [inaudible 00:22:20] in order to contribute with this communication.  That’s my comment. Wiki MarkupFatima Cambronero:               Yes, this is to answer the question of Olivier.  I'm a little bit in disagreement.  I think that the responsibility the community takes is with the permit of communications in ICANN.  ICANN could contribute with these issues and in order for us to contribute we have to have the tools with the department of communication in order to have a very specific communication in not only the misinformed.  I think we can collaborate with them, this is important.  Now in relation to the second part of the question, I don’t think it is too early.  I think we have to \[inaudible 00:22:20\] in order to contribute with this communication.  That’s my comment.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay, well thank you Fatima and I guess I will place myself into the queue here.  To answer Olivier’s question, the first question being should At-Large be used as the market.  My answer to that is not so much marketing but increasing awareness of this new gTLD program.  I think just by taking the existing materials and the YouTube video is an example of this, I think it's very structured and easy to understand. 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Yes by all means send the documents.  But a question for Jose is there a way to quickly summarize what – okay you said you had objections to certain things regarding the UDRP, what does the document specifically – can you just summarize what the document is trying to say?  But definitely yes, I will take the document, upload it and post it for comment on the LACRALO meeting list if you think it's too long to talk about because this paper is a large paper. 

Wiki Markup
Jose Arce:                               Yes I can give you a little summary about it.  The summary is the following.  As \[inaudible 00:38:17\] said at the beginning, this is one of the oldest polices in ICANN, I think that started in 1999 in which up to date hasn’t been modified or reformed.  Even up to date once this was placed in the public comment so that people could see what the actual status of the policies were, if this is going to open to the UDRP and the concept that has been used. \\

for comment on the LACRALO meeting list if you think it's too long to talk about because this paper is a large paper. 

Jose Arce:                               Yes I can give you a little summary about it.  The summary is the following.  As [inaudible 00:38:17] said at the beginning, this is one of the oldest polices in ICANN, I think that started in 1999 in which up to date hasn’t been modified or reformed.  Even up to date once this was placed in the public comment so that people could see what the actual status of the policies were, if this is going to open to the UDRP and the concept that has been used. 

What is the reach of this?  I think that the opening of that comment and the elaboration of that report I think there was – whether or not – several people participated from different parts of the world and were from different policies.  And which I have the opportunity to participate in this; there were several voices in relations to the UDRP.  And in terms of this, it has to be modified.  If there are procedures to change it or if there were only procedural processes, so there was no need to change this [inaudible 00:40:02] and in the same report initiated the ICANN said they didn’t agree.  Wiki MarkupWhat is the reach of this?  I think that the opening of that comment and the elaboration of that report I think there was -- whether or not -- several people participated from different parts of the world and were from different policies.  And which I have the opportunity to participate in this; there were several voices in relations to the UDRP.  And in terms of this, it has to be modified.  If there are procedures to change it or if there were only procedural processes, so there was no need to change this \[inaudible 00:40:02\] and in the same report initiated the ICANN said they didn’t agree. \\

That we could only get a group of work and work on those issues.  So the document that I am elaborating, it talks about the different voices like the meeting that we had in Singapore.

Carlton Samuels:                     Thank you Dev.  I am expressing an interest in this topic not just because of my own personal interest in it as an intellectual subject but because I am chairing the WHOIS At-Large Working Group.  It is a standing working group of At-Large.  We still need members actively involved.  But if you look at the discussion paper for the Review Group, you will see the areas of interest.  Essentially it comes down to the question of whether or not WHOIS is currently constructed still have a role and if so how must it be configured to continue onwards?  
unmigrated-wiki-markup

There are two things I would like for members to take note of.    Because the rule for the \ [inaudible 00:43:13\] record expanded well beyond its original scope, there are some very important issues that have come about because of this expansion in the way that it is used.    And it is \ [abused\] by members of our community.    Now the way WHOIS affects different parts of the community is varied and multiple.    And it is not a simple issue. \\ 

What is needed is some balance in the way that it is approached.  And I would urge members to consider this WHOIS issue in that context.  There is a requirement for WHOIS record to be kept by the registry and registrar community.  There is a requirement in the registry RAA contract for ICANN Corporate to ensure compliance.  Compliance steps are numerous. 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Did the SSOC formally submit a comment on the WHOIS?
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Vanda Scartezini:                    No we provided a document.  And it's more a Power Point.  It's very clear and too as an advisory to the review team they are \[inaudible Scartezini:                    No we provided a document.  And it's more a Power Point.  It's very clear and too as an advisory to the review team they are [inaudible 00:47:32\].    So it's quite interesting to see then because it's more informative and it's a proposal for structures to deal with this whole issue.    It's not a technical -- no.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay and I'm sure it's available on the SSOC’s website.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay and thank you.  I see Fatima has also kindly started a Google doc already on the topic so that – and I will post the link here – on the WHOIS Review Team questions.  I think we should at least review these questions.  And as Carlton says, it's a complex issue but I think it's a very critical one.  And when you have to balance the issues of security and privacy and so forth regarding access to the WHOIS data and also the accuracy of the WHOIS data, who is responsible for this?  And how can this be properly achieved?
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Vanda Scartezini:                    \[Inaudible Scartezini:                    [Inaudible 00:48:53\].\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay.

Carlton Samuels:                     And can I tell you that those are, in fact, issues if you are involved in data processing.  When I sat and listened to it there were – they gave some indicators of some of the difficulties and I know from my practice that those are indeed very, very difficult things.  It's not easy.  If you look at the process issues they brought up, you couldn’t find fault with them. 
unmigrated-wiki-markup

For those of us who know anything about data processing and have ever managed a data center, we have experience in this and I think they have some issues there that require thoughtful response.    They require thoughtful response.    You can't just dismiss them and say “Oh it's the registrar, it is special pleading.”  ”  No, they are issues there that are relevant.  And they have a  And they have a basis, a \ [inaudible 00:51:17\] basis for bringing them up as issues for contention, yes.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay well, it's a good question that Natalia has raised in the chat, if you want to be involved in the WHOIS working group, can you find the link for – how do you join the working group? 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay, thanks Fatima I was aware of the website.  It's in the application.  And I have been looking at that website and trying to follow what the ALS does and so forth and thanks for that.  Again, if anybody has any comments I will be posting it again to the list for any final comments before we give the regional advice to ALAC.    
unmigrated-wiki-markup

The next item on the agenda was a briefing on the recent Singapore meeting.    I wonder how to best tackle it that it has now crossed over an hour and we have 20 minutes left.     We actually covered several of the key issues from Singapore meeting, the WHOIS Review, the new gTLD program that was approved and the \[inaudible      We actually covered several of the key issues from Singapore meeting, the WHOIS Review, the new gTLD program that was approved and the [inaudible 00:59:44\] communication program that is going to be -- that is now posted for public comment. \\ 

From any of the participants who attended the Singapore and/or listened remotely to the Singapore meeting, just one topic or one meeting or one issue that was of interest because I do have one and I can talk about it.  But I just want to give everybody a chance.  Sergio go ahead.  And like I said, keep it to one topic because I'm certain other persons will raise the other issues, go ahead.

There will be five countries added to the Latin American and Caribbean Region but all of the Caribbean regions will be added to the North American Region.  I think this is something that we in LACRALO have to comment on before the working group issues a final report.  I just wanted to stress the mention of that because I think this is something of great importance to us.  Go ahead Vanda.
think this is something of great importance to us.  Go ahead Vanda.

Vanda Scartezini:                    It's just – this decision was made with [inaudible Wiki MarkupVanda Scartezini:                    It's just -- this decision was made with \[inaudible 01:13:29\] each country in the Caribbean region.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Well it hasn’t been made into a consultation with each country.  I believe the geographic regions working group has made a presentation to the GAC.  Carlton is involved with this.  I think – I don’t know if he could --

We looked at the responses we got from the members of the community.  And here I must commend Rob Gaff from staff for providing excellent support in this area.  Rob as been a telestrength in putting together the document and keeping track of the comments and so on.  He did an excellent job on this.  And it was presented as a report for discussion and review by the committee. 

Wiki MarkupThe recommendations that were made by the working group are substantively recommendations that would have come out of the discussions and the responses that were seen from the \ [inaudible 01:16:30\].    The chair of the working group, you might not know, is from the CCNSO community.    It is David Archibald who is my neighbor in the Cayman Islands.    He is less than 45 minutes from me.    But he is in the CCNSO.    He is in this region. \\ 

But in At-Large he is in the European region because of the political connections with the Cayman Islands and the United Kingdom.  And that is just to give you a sense of how involved the whole idea is.  There are two things I want to say to finish this off.  One, this is a report with recommendations to the community.  It is not a decision.  It is purely from the evidence.  It is a preponderance of the evidence that is contained in that report. 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay.

Wiki MarkupVanda Scartezini:                    Okay I have not \[inaudible Scartezini:                    Okay I have not [inaudible 01:21:15\] about that.    But that’s an issue that we need to think about because we will be \ [inaudible 01:21:21\] bad decision and some countries to join North America.    And you know, but anyways.\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       I see Fatima has her hand raised.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Vanda Scartezini:                    If we can go further with that in order for \[inaudible Scartezini:                    If we can go further with that in order for [inaudible 01:21:38\].\\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Indeed, thanks Vanda.  Fatima go ahead please.

Fatima Cambronero:               I have another question.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay Fatima go ahead.  The criteria, so then -- so we would be \[inaudible Teelucksingh:       Okay Fatima go ahead.  The criteria, so then – so we would be [inaudible 01:24:47\] only by the \ [inaudible 01:24:46\] or -- now if these territories decide to move to the other regions could they move back or would they be stuck in that region?\\

Wiki MarkupCarlton Samuels:                     The idea was that if they opt to move then surely it should be up to them to make another move as long as that is accepted in principle.  First of all, in order for this to happen, it has to be accepted and validated by the Board.  The principle that is suggested in the report would have to be validated by the community and accepted by the Board as policy.  We are a long way from any of that decision making.  But certainly in the way the working group reported the intent is that there is -- it is \[inaudible 01:25:43\].  People can move and people can move again.  We have dead air.\\Samuels:                     The idea was that if they opt to move then surely it should be up to them to make another move as long as that is accepted in principle.  First of all, in order for this to happen, it has to be accepted and validated by the Board.  The principle that is suggested in the report would have to be validated by the community and accepted by the Board as policy.  We are a long way from any of that decision making.  But certainly in the way the working group reported the intent is that there is – it is [inaudible 01:25:43].  People can move and people can move again.  We have dead air.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Yes I know, I was assuming the translator was finishing. 

And the budget response was to only allocate six persons to attend a regional ICANN meeting.  Well six persons by themselves doesn’t a General Assembly make.  LACRALO has 36 ALSs for example.  Just having six additional persons would not make a difference.  One of the things that were discussed was to pool the travel support from the three RALOs and allow AFRALO to have a General Assembly.   
unmigrated-wiki-markup

And this would be an exceptional measure not a \ [inaudible 01:37:55\] with AFRALO.  What we have to do is to draft a short statement to the Chief Operating Officer, Mr. Akram Attallah -- I hope I got his name right -- stating this.  Sergio and Jose Arce have drafted a statement.  Sergio I don’t know if you wish to -- I know a Google doc was created for this purpose.  Sergio and Jose have created the first draft of this.  I wonder Sergio do you wish to read what was put in the Google document?  And I will post a link to the Google document right now.    Go ahead Sergio.\\ What we have to do is to draft a short statement to the Chief Operating Officer, Mr. Akram Attallah – I hope I got his name right – stating this.  Sergio and Jose Arce have drafted a statement.  Sergio I don’t know if you wish to – I know a Google doc was created for this purpose.  Sergio and Jose have created the first draft of this.  I wonder Sergio do you wish to read what was put in the Google document?  And I will post a link to the Google document right now.    Go ahead Sergio.

Sergio Salinas:                         Yes I have a comment to make.  First of all a little bit of the background on how this developed.  If you remember there were six ICANN, the initiative department of ICANN offered to the RALOs six people to travel to have a General Assembly.  We said a relationship with them in and out of the meetings discussing this topic as somebody proposed to support the Africa region so they could have the assembly there and having their six representatives coming in from each one of the ALSs.  In the first place we decided that either we travel all of us or none of us.  And this had to do with – to talk about some of the – within the framework of the participation of the members of ICANN. 

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       I know.

Sergio Salinas:                         We’re still working on that document.  This is not the final document.  Once the document is properly drafted then we are going to send it.  Either they approve it or not.  This document – we want to emphasize the exceptional character of this document in terms of the representatives of each one of these regions so that we can give our support to Africa.  And we are also – [inaudible 01:42:22] users participate in the General Assembly in general terms that’s about it, that’s the comments.  Wiki MarkupSergio Salinas:                         We’re still working on that document.  This is not the final document.  Once the document is properly drafted then we are going to send it.  Either they approve it or not.  This document -- we want to emphasize the exceptional character of this document in terms of the representatives of each one of these regions so that we can give our support to Africa.  And we are also -- \[inaudible 01:42:22\] users participate in the General Assembly in general terms that’s about it, that’s the comments. \\

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:       Okay well thank you Sergio.  I just want to say I think we will Google translation of the Spanish text but well – the translation is lacking to put it mildly.  I think Carlton said it best.  There are issues with it.  My question for Sergio and Jose, do you think you will have finished with this now so that it can be sent to be properly translated?  And does anybody have any particular issue with the text.